Tejretics’s (Restricted-Topics) Tournament

Author: Tejretics

Total: 114
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
Hi everyone! I’m not sure if this is a thing anymore, but I thought I’d organize a tournament -- I think they’re really fun, competitive ways to grow as a debater! I know tournaments often tend to die out, but I’ll do my best to prevent that, I guess. Can’t do much else but try. 

Topic restrictions

This will be an assigned topics tournament. In other words, you won’t choose the topics. Instead, I’ll provide three topics per round, and you and your opponent will have 24 hours after each topic release to pick one of the three, and your sides (please debate the exact wording that I provide!). If you don’t, I’ll assign you a topic and sides (Pro/Con) from the three topics I’ve provided. Either way, you’ll start the debate another 24 hours after you’ve decided on or I’ve assigned you your topic and sides. I’ll do my best to make the topics evenly-balanced, by using topics that have actually been used in debate tournaments in a range of formats (PF, LD, and Parli) around the world, and checking to see if they empirically have roughly equal win probability for Pro and Con. 

Why this restriction? A good measure of debating ability is how you’re able to debate on a randomly chosen set of roughly-even topics on a wide range of fields. It does reduce the control you have over picking a topic, but in my view, it’s a better measure of your ability to debate as a whole. Besides, you’ve got lots of opportunities on this website to debate the topics you choose, so I reckon opting into this competition is a fun way of challenging yourself to debate a broader range of topics. 

Debate rules

This competition has some rules about the structure of debates to save time:

• The maximum character limit is 10,000 characters. Feel free to set an even lower one if you prefer that and agree to it, but don’t set a higher one. 
  • Have a maximum of three rounds per debate (once more, to save time and allow the tournament to progress). 
  • Have a maximum of 72 hours per round.
  • The voting period should be 1 week. In exchange, I’ll do my absolute best to vote on every debate in the competition, unless I have some emergency, and I’ll also actively solicit votes for you. 
In total, each round is given ~25 days to complete before the next round begins. Hence, this tournament is meant to last a total of ~3 months. 

Other than that, feel free to set your own rules, alongside your competitor. 

Tournament structure

I intend for this to be a single-elimination tournament with space for eight people (the first eight people to sign up, on this thread). 

I’ll create the tournament bracket.

The first round will be seeded by current Elo on DebateArt.com -- so the eight people will be ranked from #1 to #8 in descending order of Elo, and #1 will be paired against #8, #2 against #7, and so on. 

The second round will have the winner of #1 vs. #8 face the winner of #4 vs. #5, and the winner of #2 vs. #7 face the winner of #3 vs. #6. 

Naturally, the third round will be the final. The winner of the third round wins the competition. I’ll make adjustments to the structure in case anyone drops out, or doesn’t finish a debate in time -- it may require revamping the whole structure midway through the competition. 

(In case any of the debate’s results is a tie, I’ll do my best to get a neutral observer to vote in 24 hours, either from within DART or an experienced IRL judge. If not, my vote will be the decisive one. But to be honest, I’m open to recommendations on this issue -- I haven’t thought it through, and I’ve assigned myself as the decider somewhat arbitrarily; I don’t mean to claim I’m a better judge than anyone else who votes.)

Sign-ups

Do sign-up here!

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Tejretics
/in

"(please debate the exact wording that I provide!)"
by using topics that have actually been used in debate tournaments in a range of formats (PF, LD, and Parli) around the world
Yeah, that is what got me in.

Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Sign me up.
/In
That2User
Debates: 4
That2User
/In
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
The more typical the topic, the less my creative edge is. That said, this may take me back to the days I fell in love with oldschool regimented debating before I realised it was the wild west in reality.

/in
Tejretics
Tejretics
Sign-ups

1) Intelligence_06
2) Sir.Lancelot
3) That2User
4) RationalMadman
5)
6)
7)
8)

Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Tejretics
I will join if my debates will be unrated 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Skipper_Sr
That’s up for you and your assigned opponent to figure out! I’m fine with you choosing to make your debates unrated. Let me know if you want to confirm your sign-up. 
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Tejretics
Ooh, I love the idea. Glad to see some movement on tournament planning happening. Much as I'm somewhat interested in participating directly, I think I'd be better suited to be a judge, so I'd be happy to sign on to judge as many of these as I am able.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Also, I'd be happy to help with topic selection. It's not always easy finding topics that are relatively balanced.
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Tejretics
I will join under the condition that all of my debates are to be unrated in the course of this "Tejretics's Tournament"

/in
That2User
That2User
Bump
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Skipper_Sr
Why do you care? 
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Wylted
Why do I care about what? 

By the way, Happy Valentine's Day, Mr. President
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Skipper_Sr
You are not tagging me in these posts, because my name is not WYLTED it is wyited.

Why do you care about the debates being unrated? 
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
You are not tagging me in these posts, because my name is not WYLTED it is wyited.
I have been messing up your name the entire time on this site. Lol

Why do you care about the debates being unrated?
I don't want any more losses to affect my rating. I didn't even know about this "unrated" option till the end of last week. Since I was decently unprepared when I first entered DART (having no previous background in debating), my first six debates are going to result in: 1 win by FF, 1 tie/mutual forfeit, & 4 losses by FF. Four losses so early is a lot for me. It's not overwhelming, I just don't like what I did
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Skipper_Sr
My take is that most of the people signing up won't want to win by forfeit so will probably work with you. It sounds like tejretics won't force them to cooperate though. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@whiteflame
Thanks so much for offering to judge! And I'd really love to take your help on drafting topics, that would be lovely!
Tejretics
Tejretics
Sign-ups

1) Intelligence_06
2) Sir.Lancelot
3) That2User
4) RationalMadman
5) Skipper_Sr
6)
7)
8)

That2User
That2User
Bump
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Tejretics
I'm in

That2User
That2User
2 left
ijb1
Debates: 5
ijb1
-->
@Tejretics
@AustinL0926
You might consider asking @AustinL0926, this seems like something he might be interested in.
That2User
That2User
Bump
Tejretics
Tejretics
Sign-ups

1) Intelligence_06
2) Sir.Lancelot
3) That2User
4) RationalMadman
5) Skipper_Sr
6) YouFound_Lxam
7)
8)

That2User
That2User
6/8
That2User
That2User
Bump
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@That2User
6/6, adjust expectations.

Joke of an update, joke of a tournament turnout.
That2User
That2User
-->
@RationalMadman
6/6, adjust expectations.

Why so negative man? I have hope

That2User
That2User
Bump