Tejretics’s (Restricted-Topics) Tournament

Author: Tejretics

Total: 114
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@RationalMadman
Weaver can judge! Do you havr any feelings on topic 2 or are you pretty set on topic 1?

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@blamonkey
You know I want Pro on topic 1. I know you don't want topic 3. I offered topic 1. It is now up to you to accept or push to the randomiser. Alternatively, say which side you prefer on topic 2 if you want to ask about it.
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@RationalMadman
Im con but can also go pro
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@RationalMadman
Actually, if you're really set to go Pro on topic 1, we can do topic one. I was just curious what you thought of the other topics.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Tejretics
Gotcha

Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
The matchups will be officially released in 24 hours (although it’s fairly clear what they’ll probably end up being at this point), after which you will have 24 hours to start your debates. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
The results are in!

YouFound_Lxam advances over to Round 2 over Intelligence_06, AustinL0926 advances to Round 2 over Sir.Lancelot, RationalMadman advances to Round 2 over Skipper_Sr, and blamonkey advances to Round 2 over That2User. 

The pairings for Round 2 are as follows (in no particular order):

YouFound_Lxam vs. AustinL0926
RationalMadman vs. blamonkey

The topics (choose one, and choose your sides) for Round 2 are as follows (as a reminder):

• On balance, Turkey’s continued membership is beneficial to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
  • The benefits of China’s infrastructure loans to countries in sub-Saharan Africa outweigh the harms.
  • It would be preferable if the Eastern Bloc countries had formed their own union in 2004, rather than joining or attempting to join the European Union.
The third topic comes with a (binding) note:

For the purposes of this debate, the Eastern Bloc refers to Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, and North Macedonia. Among these countries, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia joined the EU in 2004, Bulgaria and Romania joined it in 2007, and Croatia did so in 2013. Serbia, Bosnia (officially Bosnia and Herzegovina), and North Macedonia are currently EU candidates. This debate is about whether it would be preferable if all these countries had formed a separate union in 2004, and chose not to join the EU or attempt to join the EU. We are assuming these two things are mutually exclusive, and this is about imagining an alternate history that began in 2004. 

Start your debates in 24 hours please, and good luck!

Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@RationalMadman
@blamonkey
RMM. If you’re going with preselected judges, may I be one of them? 

I’ve never made a troll vote against anyone on this site, so you don’t have to worry about me intentionally sabotaging it for you based on our previous beefs. 
blamonkey
blamonkey

RM hasn't accepted yet, but I think we agree on the topic and rules. Just wanted to put it here so we didn't get the randomizer.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Tejretics
Melcharaz says RMM left the site, so Skipper might be the one debating Blamonkey if that’s true. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I don't care what trolling your site persona needs to dish out but leave my name out your fucking mouth, ty.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@RationalMadman

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Yes so 26th Feb testimony from someone that was clearly proven wrong is accurate now, I see. Nobody is buying your BS, you got knocked out of the tournament, stay out of it.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@RationalMadman
I’m glad we were wrong. 
Welcome back. 
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I don't care what trolling your site persona needs to dish out but leave my name out your fucking mouth, ty.
God damn will smith looking mother fucker
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
😂😂😂

12 days later

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@Tejretics
@Barney
@whiteflame
@WeaverofFate

The debate has concluded. 

14 days later

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@blamonkey
@whiteflame
@AustinL0926
Final Pairings

Advancing to the final are AustinL0926 (over YouFound_Lxam) and blamonkey (over RationalMadman). 

Your three topics are: 

• The US should take policy measures aimed at substantially slowing down the pace of AI progress (e.g., limiting access to compute, regulating large training runs, and/or aims at getting labs to coordinate to slow down).
  • It is in the Republican Party’s interests to nominate Ron DeSantis as their candidate for the 2024 US presidential election, rather than nominating Donald Trump.
  • After meeting their basic needs, individuals have a moral obligation to donate all remaining wealth to effective social causes (such as poverty alleviation).
You have 48 hours to pick a topic and sides, and begin your debates!

AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
-->
@blamonkey
My positions on the three issues:

• IDK and I'd prefer not to do this (it's an issue of enormous scope, and it would involve a lot of speculation about the future)
  • Strongly PRO
  • Negotiable

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@AustinL0926
I think the third is the best. I can go Con if you want.
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
-->
@blamonkey
Sure, I can be PRO. I'll get around to sending the challenge soon.
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@Tejretics
I respect you for doing this. Tournaments are cool and generate activity, but they take time to host.

42 days later

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@blamonkey
@whiteflame
@AustinL0926
RESULTS

In the end, blamonkey beats AustinL0926 in the final to be the champion of the tournament. Congratulations to the finalists, and thank you to everyone who participated in the tournament or judged. Special shoutout to whiteflame for helping me with the topics!
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Tejretics
@blamonkey
Happy to help out. Congrats to all the participants, and to Blamonkey in particular for his win!