Author: Tejretics

Total: 114
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
@Skipper_Sr
Your modification is sufficiently small that I’m fine with it, if you do indeed end up doing this topic. Thanks for checking with me first!
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Skipper_Sr
If it is worded like that then Pro has room to win so I prefer Pro then. This also saves time as I can challenge you now.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@Tejretics
@That2User
That2User and I agreed to the debate on the BBC guidelines. I was going to be Con and That2User was Pro. We'll make the debate shortly
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Tejretics
RM's and my debate has begun. 

Tejretics, thank you for the time extension of an additional 24 hours
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@Tejretics
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@whiteflame
Hey! Sorry I missed your message on here. It's good to be back! 

13 days later

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
When is Round 2 getting going? No topics in advance or such?
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
Pairings will only be released 7 full days after the final Round 1 debate enters its voting period!
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
The winner of my pairing is against the winner of the blamonkey vs that2user pairing and vice versa for the other 2.

This is set in stone based on you using a high vs low elo seeding system. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
Indeed! But we don’t know who won until the voting period closes, or, in case the voting period was accidentally >1 week, once one week expires. 
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@Tejretics
@whiteflame
Just a heads up. My debate has ended and is in voting period. I dont know if there are other judges, but I tagged the ones I knew were judges for sure.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@blamonkey
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
Obsession over Passion
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
This is getting ridiculous, I signed up to a tournament, not some 3 month almost 4 month dragged out nonsense.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
If you read the original post, you'll see that the tournament was always going to be 3 months in length, and that was always the intention. The words “3 months” are literally in the original post. In other words, this is exactly what you signed up for.

Furthermore, that's a reasonable expectation for a tournament -- 1-week voting periods and three rounds are both below the average time it takes for a round to complete, so I've set this tournament's expectations to last less than what you’d normally expect. I have no idea how you didn’t anticipate this. In fact, your round just ended 4 days ago, so I’m not sure why you’re frustrated with 4 days of waiting after your round ends for the next round to begin. So I have no idea how this is my fault, or what you expect me to do. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
okay well I am very busy and really I wanted to quit the site after the tournament but this tournament is going so long. Idk if I can fully dedicate and if I make it to the final, I may barely have an hour a day to spare, I am having irl things with work/education.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
this is silly though, why can't you put the topics so we can do research and give a proper semifinal with work done beforehand?
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
RMM. 

No one’s leaking the topics publicly and certainly not in the forums. You’ll have to DM Tjeretics, Whiteflame, or me for them.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
I’ll ask Whiteflame and we’ll try to release the topics early! Sorry about the inconvenience.

(Sir.Lancelot is not involved in this whatsoever, so I assume they were joking.)
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Tejretics
I know Round 2’s topics! 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
No, you don’t, not unless you have mind-reading abilities!
Tejretics
Tejretics
Alright! Before Round 1 finishes, Whiteflame and I have decided to release the topics for Round 2. The theme for Round 2 is international relations. 

The topics are:

• On balance, Turkey’s continued membership is beneficial to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
  • The benefits of China’s infrastructure loans to countries in sub-Saharan Africa outweigh the harms.
  • It would be preferable if the Eastern Bloc countries had formed their own union in 2004, rather than joining or attempting to join the European Union.
The third topic has a piece of context attached to it, that is binding for the debate (as there are many different meanings of Eastern Bloc, so we want to be clear about which group of countries we’re referring to and what exactly we mean):

For the purposes of this debate, the Eastern Bloc refers to Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, and North Macedonia. Among these countries, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia joined the EU in 2004, Bulgaria and Romania joined it in 2007, and Croatia did so in 2013. Serbia, Bosnia (officially Bosnia and Herzegovina), and North Macedonia are currently EU candidates. This debate is about whether it would be preferable if all these countries had formed a separate union in 2004, and chose not to join the EU or attempt to join the EU. We are assuming these two things are mutually exclusive, and this is about imagining an alternate history that began in 2004. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@blamonkey
Make offers?

I refuse to be Con on Topic 1. Please make an offer elsewhere, I'll take it probably.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Tejretics
Just tell me my next opponent and I will talk with them on who's going to make the debate.

I haven't officially won my debate yet, but the majority of the judges have already voted me. 

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@RationalMadman
I haven't researched many of these topics so I'm down for basically anything. That said, I think I'm partial to topic 2 (I don't know what side I want yet). I'd be down to do Con on 1 of you really want to debate that topic. That last topic looks complicated as hell.
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
I'd be willing to do PRO on topic 2. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@blamonkey
I definitely am happy to debate topic 1 as Pro. I warn you that I do not think Con can win topic 1. However, you are the most formidable opponent here for sure and you seeing something I do not would not surprise me.

Can we do it with preselected judges?

We could simply do WF Barney and Tej but I would significantly prefer if the user WeaverofFate is involved.

He is similar to WF, goes more by counting points than analysing intense interactions.

I want to avoid trolls or grudges ruining this for me, a semifinal against you is always dangerous af.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
No results are confirmed, so I can’t confirm your opponent. 

That said, the winner of your debate with Intelligence_06 faces off against the winner of the match-up between Sir.Lancelot and AustinL0926. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
One brief note: barring extenuating circumstances like me falling sick, I do commit to voting on any debates in this tournament that I’m allowed to, provided you let me know once your debate is done. That’s indeed what I did round 1 -- one of the four debates had a judge system and didn’t have me as a judge, so I wasn’t eligible to vote on it, but I voted on all other three debates with RFDs.