I like the new look of debateart

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 49
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
I suggest a test. We could wait to see if this new change leads to new users staying on the site for longer.

Right now, the standard is that most new accounts make a debate and then forfeit and leave the site forever or become completely inactive.

Hence, we meassure the pool of active users to see if the pool increases or stays the same.
Yeah I know, that sucks, but the inflow of users depends on a lot of things and the design barely matters here, I am afraid. My plan is to get back the old features, polish everything to make it more friendly for people that have no idea what's happening here and then advertise it somehow and that could work.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@DebateArt.com
You removed the search bar and removed the "debates" option from the dropbar from the profile icon. Now accessing your own debates becomes harder.

I suggest that we add back the search bar at least.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Intelligence_06
 He's taking the time to add it back and update the site piecemeal in the coming weeks.

DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Intelligence_06
Don't worry, everything is going to be back in a matter of 2 weeks, give or take.
Bella3sp
Debates: 53
Bella3sp
Never really got to post my own opinion and I might be a bit late but here we go. 

It's an alright update. I am a bit disappointed with not being able to do rated debates without qualification however I do understand the thought process behind it. I think they already know the pros and cons of adding this qualification and the dislike they might get for it. Though I think their priority is trying to help new users in a certain way. I understand noobsniping is common among new users and they could get targeted real quickly. 

Personally though I wish this wasn't part of the update. Even though I joined this website fifteen days ago, I personally want a challenge. If you come to this website you should fairly be prepared. Read what you need to know, and figure everything out before getting in a real debate. Even if you were to get challenged by someone on the leaderboard, that's alright. It should give you something to experience a real debate and improve from it. Will you win? Probably not. However, can you use that as a reference to learn how to debate? Explore different styles of debating? Yes. Having rated debates just helps the user grow. Yes your rating will go down but it's all just experience. Maybe if you asked the user with a pop-up "Are you sure? This is a rated debate and will affect your rating" people might take consideration into doing the debate. Even if they don't take this into consideration your rating can always be re-improved. 

(Please keep in mind I don't have any knowledge of the possible violation of MEEP's. Therefore I am stating my opinion with only my current knowledge).

RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Bella3sp
Correct on that entirely. This was a very toxic update completely undermining the will of many here.

Wylted is a terrible debater these days, a joke to be up against, so naturally he is supportive of the update. Those that care and enjoy both sides of noob vs pro rated clashes which are the lifeblood of the debates here, are disgusted at this update.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
People are climbing the elo board because of noobs not finishing debates. Those elo points from forfeits are not earned
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
They are as earned as your presidency win was, you campaignless clown.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
Ratman is such a dignified and gracious loser.

Next election, if he runs unopposed, he'd still lose.
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
I would rather if this doesnt turn into insults and talks about elections, when we should be offering helpful opinions.

Propose your best solutions and opinions while the owner is here. This is your chance to shape the future of the site and how it will look like and what options will be there.
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Best.Korea
How would you associate the extended activity of new users with the update? Correlation is not causation. 

I am interested in the statistical science you plan on using
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@Skipper_Sr
I have been on this site for over 6 months. I havent seen a significant increase in active users yet. So if a significant increase happens now, yes I will consider it a result of update and advertising.
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Best.Korea
That's fair

ijb1
Debates: 5
ijb1
Personally, I think this will probably discourage new users from staying.
ijb1
Debates: 5
ijb1
This is because if you're locked out of stuff and nobody accepts your unrated debate there's kind of no point staying. It would be almost read-only in a sense.
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Holy shit. 
How is this NOT funny to you guys!?!?!

I am specifically trying to take credit for whatever changes are deemed good and the ones deemed bad Mike did with me objecting to them 

Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
😂😂😂
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
It is funny in the same cringe way as a clown trying to be funny is.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Best.Korea
A single UI change is unlikely to have a huge effect on new user dropoff. If someone was keeping rigorous stats on new user activity that could be compared, we could see at what rate dropoff occurs. The standard wouldn't be how many debates they stayed for, but at what rate new accounts are created/what percent stay around past a specific time cutoff or number of forum/debate interactions.

The changes to rated/unrated debate participation for new users is the single most likely thing to have an effect. I don't know if an interaction with RM or Lancelot is the best introduction to the site, but it is fairly indicative of what the active user base is like, so it's at least honest.