South Carolina woman fatally shoots escaped inmate who broke into her home.

Author: TheDredPriateRoberts

Total: 72
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
Sigh,  if someone kicks down my door dressed in the orange prison jumpsuit holding a knife he's probably not there to ask for a cup of sugar,  what would you do offer him some tea?   What possible reason would he do that?  What would be running through your mind if that happened to you?

If the person home belives him to be a threat, they have the choice to do whatever they want or can to protect themselves or others.

What if this woman was your mother, what would you tell her to do?

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@linate
 I wouldn't call shooting someone an absolute right, but I would not hold judgement over someone who acted out of fear.  I'm assuming she is single.  While I would strongly recommend retreating, or barricading yourself in general principle, I think it's reasonable to protect your property, and that a homeowner is warranted in having a weapon at hand.  Legally, that's an escalation to lethal force, which I find reasonable.  The felon should be charged with all the damages, no suing the home owner for injuring their neck on a tripping hazard.  They have no right to do whatever it is they are doing, and should leave immediately.  You don't have a right to shoot them in the back, but you have a right to follow them within reason, or place them under arrest and detain them, till they're turned over to law enforcement. 

If all of this is not satisfied, there is something wrong with your government.

linate
linate
i think the woman was legally justified but i dont think she did the best course of action. she should have told him to drop the weapon and surrender, or something like that. she has total control given she has the gun. i think plisken is describing reasonable action and i think dred has the less reasonable response, and is skirting around the direct answer he thinks she has the absolute right to shoot him, because the world is not so cut and dry
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@linate
i think the woman was legally justified but i dont think she did the best course of action. she should have told him to drop the weapon and surrender, or something like that. she has total control given she has the gun. i think plisken is describing reasonable action and i think dred has the less reasonable response, and is skirting around the direct answer he thinks she has the absolute right to shoot him, because the world is not so cut and dry
best course of action you should make for yourself and not impose on others, you have NO right to tell someone what they should do to protect their own life.
What is so difficult to understand that she has the absolute right to protect her own life?

I don't I have educated you better than this over the years, I can only blame myself for not doing a better job. (these are trained people so keep that in mind)
When an officer experiences a threat, it takes on average .58 seconds to experience the threat and determine if it is real. It then takes on average .56 to 1.0 seconds to make a response decision. Humans have five possible responses to threat: defend (fight), disengage (retreat), posture (yell, point a finger, act aggressive), become hypervigilant (panic, confusion, freezing, using force excessively), and submit (surrender).

Equipment and competency
Accuracy of fire at close distances
Perception lag

I'll let you read the rest.

not that you are serious about actually learn and real facts, but there's plenty of videos on reaction times with someone closing the distance etc, but again I know you won't find the true out for yourself,  Leftist never do, but instead armchair quarter back and want to control and tell people how and what do to with their very own safety and lives.

linate
linate
-->
@Plisken
so you're calling plisken a quack? or is he a leftist? his response is the same as mine. you also act like i didn't say the woman was legally justified. 

but i think you aren't as big of an absolute right person here either, because you're talking about response time and stuff like that. that's what i'd be arguing makes her justified.... it's too much to expect someone to make the right decision under those conditions. you should be arguing she could have time to step back and consider the situation, and kill the dude anyway, because you think it's an absolute right, or so you claim is your response. 
disgusted
disgusted
You people don't understand that you use a woman in SD to justify the slaughter of hundreds of school children throughout the states.
Why is that woman's life worth more than the lives of thousands of school children, Oh I know, they aren't your children.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@linate
Plisken was talking about the other case of the 2 guys who broke into the house in the UK and the guy shot them as they were leaving, and I've already addressed that.
time to step back?  you don't even bother reading anything I post so stop replying or tagging me if you aren't even trying to be honest.
Now you are trying to tell me what I think, wtf do you even mean by an absolute right and where did I say any such thing?  You are being extremely dishonest and you should either check yourself and grow tf up or stop engaging me.
Plisken
Plisken
Plisken was talking about the other case of the 2 guys who broke into the house in the UK and the guy shot them as they were leaving
Nope, flexibly framed from the OP in reply to Linate.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Plisken
Flexibility meaning what?   I seem to recall she was in her bed room , what flexibility do you think she had,  assuming she didn't want to be raped and or killed. 

I think I see the problem , linate has totally distorted and changed the topic to something it's not.

linate
linate
"wtf do you even mean by an absolute right and where did I say any such thing? "

you said with the exact words that she had an absolute right to kill him in post 64

i dont know what we are even arguing about at this point cause we both think she's justified, you just can't figure out how much she was justified. 
linate
linate
plus plisken acknowledges he was talking about the same woman. dred just has a problem figuring things out. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@linate
here's what I actually said in post #64
What is so difficult to understand that she has the absolute right to protect her own life?
and your dishonest claim of what is said was 

you said with the exact words that she had an absolute right to kill him in post 64
here's why you are dishonest for those that can't seem to follow the logic or reasoning

as I stated she has as do we all the absolute right to protect our own lives when some criminal threats that life, she used the best tool to do that with, a gun, and it so happened he died, because of his actions forcing her to defend herself.

now let's examine your lie, the way you stated it, that if she had shot him and stopped him she would still be able to shoot him until he was dead, hence the absolute right to kill as you put it.

if you don't wish to have an honest conversation that's fine, but I have no problem pointing out your dishonesty for all to read and making you look foolish.  You should choose your words more wisely.

I've lost track of how many times I have told you that I never said "she had an absolute right to kill him" that is a flat out lie and it's about time you admit it.

Here I'll give you an easy out, that your grasp of the English language is elementary school level because it's not your main language, and you just have a difficult time understanding it.  I'll even help you out some, understand that difference between a right and justification, because that's pretty important and a HUGE difference.