Activity crashed with the recent bans

Author: thett3

Total: 67
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Raltar
The community on this site is very small. I really don't think it can afford to run people off by letting the mods alienate parts of the user base.

Exactly. The site barely needs one mod, let alone four
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@RationalMadman
@thett3
If we making some sort of anti-mod suicide squad, count me in. I was a fool to take the mods' side. Seeing all these bans, I don't want to see it ever happen again. Modding policy needs to be more laizess-faire.
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
-->
@Mharman
Buddy I saw what you did to Supadudz's thread. While he was wrong to post such a happy meme about a ban it's very understandable given DDO historic-beef between Wylted and himself to now but you? What the fuck did I do to deserve a full song of abusive dancing crabs?

Even FUCKING DRAFTERMAN, my hugest direct rival on the site, managed to show up call me a mentally ill guy who is good to have got banned to 'sort out his issue' (complete bullshit, this ban hurt me immensely emotionally but then again I think he speaks some truth as it put a ton of shit into perspective for me but not this site itself and the online debating community, I'm still in love with it and will die being so but I fluctuated on that and was on the verge of quitting any such related stuff for good). Oh what I meant was the even FUCKING DRAFTERMAN came and defended me to your meme on me. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mharman
In my eyes, the issue isn't a lack of laissez-faire modding. The real issue is unfair, hypocritical modding that's selectively whip-wielding and selectively laissez-faire THAT is the biggest issue at hand.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@RationalMadman
You did nothing to deserve it. I was just meme-ing.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if I got banned and you did the same thing. I would actually find it funny.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@RationalMadman
In my eyes, the issue isn't a lack of laissez-faire modding. The real issue is unfair, hypocritical modding that's selectively whip-wielding and selectively laissez-faire THAT is the biggest issue at hand.

That is a good point. However, there have been talks of making an even stricter policy, which could extend their grip onto every user. That is my biggest concern.

Ethang5's ban surprised me. Airmax would've never banned anyone for what ethang did. In fact, ethang did it plenty of times on DDO and was never banned.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mharman
Sorry but we do not agree about ethang.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Mharman
what did he do? 
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@thett3
I think call-out threads are trouble, period. If I allow one, we'd have to allow them all. And they're dynamite, because of their personal incendiary nature. 

so? it's a debate site, controversy is the entire point. usually calling something dynamite means its cool
The "point" of a debate site is to debate controversial issues in religion, politics, pop culture, etc. Call-out threads aren't about debating the issues, they're just about personal flamewars most of the time.

You kinda seem like someone who lives for site drama, so yeah I can imagine it must be a total buzzkill for you when mods do anything that shuts down site drama. My inner e-drama junkie totally groks that. I actually agree with you, fwiw -- the place does seem emptier when the controversial members are away. I like 'em and they defs add something to my experience of the site.

But to be clear, so you're saying you want a policy like: If Member A personally attacks Member B, and someone other than the victim (Member B) reports it, mods should have to ask the victim whether they agree with the report before they take any action against the rulebreaking? 
Context matters. This is a site with MAYBE two dozen members and three (four?) moderators, it wouldn't be that hard to take things on a case by case basis. I think it's a bit ridiculous that Wylted was banned for an entire week, on a site that really needs people, for an attack on me that I saw as banter. I am the victim here and am telling you i do not want any punishment for this action. shouldnt there be a way for me not to "press charges" so to speak? 

my friends and I used to box at this park. one time, it was night and from a distance it must've looked like we were actually fighting so someone called the police on us. when the police got there and we explained the situation, no one got in trouble even though we would've if we were actually fighting...do you see? context matters. I understand why you did what you did at first (even if i think it's excessive) but here i am explaining the situation...i was not offended, it was banter between friends...no reason to punish him
Sure, start a thread about it. Sounds like an idea worth kickin' around, I'd definitely be willing to consider it. To be clear, it's not up to me and I don't have any authority to make policy change happen, but we could see what the rest of moderation thinks, what the members think, nail down the pros and cons at least. Oh and again, the thread Wyl made about you did not exist in a vacuum. He wasn't temp banned for it alone. As you said, context matters.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@thett3
tbh, lol... like come on... you knew this was what this site was going to be.

Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Castin
@thett3
@bsh1
@Raltar
@Mharman
>caring this much about an online debate site
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
>caring this much about not caring about an online debate site.
coal
coal
Few things to note -

Lack of Experience.  Upon casually reviewing the site, it is immediately obvious that the moderation team lacks experience, both in mediating human conflict in general, and in maintaining decorum on this site in particular.  For example, this thread suggests that two unwarranted bans were issued over trivial occurrences.  No evidence is presented to the contrary.  Only argument to the contrary is weak, tending to blow trivialities out of proportion. 

Lack of perspective.  There are some mods.  Things seem to matter to them.  But, things that matter matter too much.  I think this is not so much because of any untoward sense of imperiousness -- though it's not obvious that that can be ruled out.  Looks more like mods care too much about doing mod-related things in response to frivolities.  Bans over trivialities prove this point.  

So?  It is what it is.  Certainly this isn't the worst modded place on the internet (e.g., /r/The_Donald), but it's not the best either.  There's a learning curve.  The site is new.  People haven't quite figured out that like 9999 out of 1000 times, all the stuff that moody teenagers and angsty 20 somethings (few of them out there) do is pretty inconsequential.  

It was brought to my attention a few weeks ago that there were some bans over some ideological differences.  That's... not good, but also to be expected in places where people do not agree on values such as "the degree to which free speech should be upheld."  No doubt mods in whatever form they presently exist place at least some value on free speech; but it is not likely that they do as much as say... I did, or Airmax (btw., I know your secret, lol) did. 

Btw., if you didn't know.... this is is YYW.  Hope you all are well.  Some of you I know.  Most of you, I have no idea who you are. 

If you want to talk to me, message me and we'll connect by email or facebook.  I never check this thing. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@coal
Since you will not expose YYW as Mike, do you think that Airmax is our admin then?

I was always certain it was one of the two of you.

Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
Yes, because laughing at investment in triviality is far worse than actively engaging in triviality. One has to wonder how many of those 2,500 posts you've made are of high quality, discussing important things.

And lol RM blocked me, all the whilst pretending to care less than me.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I care immensely about the site, where's the pretence?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
whatthef will have a lot to say to you about this nonsense.
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
"I care immensely about the site"

Someone has a rich, fulfilling life lol.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I do actually, how do you measure that though?
coal
coal
-->
@RationalMadman
Whoever "Mike" is, is not me.  

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@bsh1
What about the thang?

thett3
thett3
-->
@Castin
You kinda seem like someone who lives for site drama, so yeah I can imagine it must be a total buzzkill for you when mods do anything that shuts down site drama. My inner e-drama junkie totally groks that. I actually agree with you, fwiw -- the place does seem emptier when the controversial members are away. I like 'em and they defs add something to my experience of the site. 

I seem like someone who understands that flame wars are objectively good for online forums. This experiment was already tried on DDO, when airmax rolled out the new conduct policy that was similar to the one here it was a total disaster and he started ignoring it within month

its not up to me
Then why did bsh appoint you specifically to babysit wylted if you have no discretion? Are you just the middle man?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Well when your real life is empty. What you gonna do? 

Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Well when your real life is empty. What you gonna do? 
Yeah, that's exactly the point. All the time inciting/continuing drama, playing mafia, entering in-depth discussions about potential site improvements, discussing banal topics etc. is indicative of many unfulfilling lives.

They have the whole world to explore, and they choose to hop into the tightest of bubbles they can find -- quite pathetic.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
You have a whole fucking multiverse of thinking-paths, ideas that haven't even been written down in the news or hot topic books yet to discover and/or invent on forums like these and you choose to be a simpleton going la-di-fucking-da and living out a normal life intellectually. Good for you?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Damn straight I care this much about this site.
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Mharman
Youth is wasted on the young.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I do so much more than being active on this site. It's not like this is all I do.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Huh. I was actually getting a younger vibe from you. I mean, not like 16, but I don't know, mid 20's to mid 30's.
Castin
Castin
-->
@thett3
flame wars are objectively good for online forums
If you don't make a thread or debate with this title you will literally be canceling Christmas for me.