Horror movies...which are the goriest, scariest, most disturbing and/or repulsive?

Author: TWS1405_2

Total: 7
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
I am a huge consumer of horror movies of all genre types (except those focused on the LGBTQ+@#$&^ alphabet soup kind).

Suspense. Drama. Horror. Scare. Gory. Scary. Haunts. Paranormal. Horror. Horror. Horror. I enjoy a good scare.

Some of my all-time favorites, even those I watch over and over again include (but are not limited to) the following:

Terrifier
Terrifier 2
Poltergeist (original)
Halloween and Halloween II (Rob Zombie's remakes)
All the Conjuring related moviesĀ 
Exorcist
Scream (original)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
The Thing (original and remake)
JAWS
Alien
The Shining
Smile
Contracted and Contracted II
Malignant
Prey for the Devil
Christine
Ring (remake)
Come Play
Mama
Winchester
Clown
SAW trilogy
Hostile movies
Deliver Us from the Devil
Unfriended
Paranormal Activity movies
The Woman in Black
The Possession
Sinister and Sinister II

What are some of your all-time best scary hauntings of movies?
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
These are all tame.
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
Well, before realizing religions are a worldwide hoax, "the excorsist" was really scary to me. I still remember the spider walk, that was fucking chilling.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I know one that is so horrific I won't even name it. Something about it kept me watching and I really am traumatised by it.

Another one was 'she' as well as 'funny games' they are similar ideas but 'she' is definitely more pureblood psychopath, but in a way that makes it more bearable to watch as 'funny games' never lets you know when the next horror vs easy scene will come.

There is something beyond those 2 but I have forgotten the specific name and trust me that should not even have been legal to make in my opinion, I couldn't even believe this kind of movie existed. Idk why I am telling this as I am 100% sure I will never let anyone know about it, it's a movie I really don't even know if it was legal to exist or how they even did some scenes without physically violating and abusing people.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TWS1405_2
The Killing Fields for example, was far more horrific than any horror fantasy.

Real horror lies in the human ability to be truly horrific.

Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
Hostel 2
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
I've seen most of the films you've listed. I, too, am a huge consumer of the horror film genre, though I favor the paranormal/supernatural sub-genres more. Gore/Slasher films are okay, but they've never really scared me. That's not to say, they can't be enjoyable even if the "horror" aspect is somewhat exaggerated. I for the most part like your picks, especially "Smile (2022, I presume?)" which legitimately creeped me out when first watching it. (I'd recommend watching the short, "Laura Hasn't Slept," as a supplement to the film.) Although the "Scream" franchise was part of a litany of redundant 90's slasher films, I did enjoy most of the movies because Ghostface was a great combination of sinister and comical. The Conjuring/Annabelle/Nun franchises are quite excellent, too. I'll just give a mention to both "It" films, which I think did a great job in combining the horror genre with the coming of age genre (two of my overall favorite genres.)

All in all, the found footage paranormal/supernatural horror films are in a tier of their own for me. That includes "The Blair Witch Project (1999,)" the ardent promotion for which I still remember to this day. I give it a lot of credit for popularizing the found footage genre. There's of course the "Paranormal Activity" franchise, though I didn't enjoy Ghost Dimension much, and much less, Next of Kin. "Rec (2007)" was amazing, and probably my favorite amongst the found-footage sub-genre. "As Above, So Below" is really good, combining the notions of alchemy and horror. The name in and of itself is a giveaway especially if one is familiar with Luciferianism. "Grave Encounters" is great, too. It's difficult for me to think of a horror film I dislike, so I can spend the whole day listing and describing horror films I've enjoyed.