SETTING the RECORD STRAIGHT: a HISTORY of the HISTORY CATEGORY

Author: oromagi

Total: 9
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
DebateArt added a HISTORY category to the Forum on Feb 16th with this announcement

Minor changes
- Removed letter spacing in multiple places, now the "fonts" may look a bit better.
- Added "History" category to the forum, as it's been requested by several people on several occasions.
-Further optimized performance, the website should feel more snappy now.
PS The history category is empty, but I am sure we already have some existing topics that would fit into that category, so the mods please feel free to move some stuff around :)
02.16.2023 12:21AM
Published by@DebateArt.com
While not inaccurate textually, this announcement certainly fails to acknowledge the long journey this category took to inception.

• Let's recall that DebateArt offered to create a HISTORY category June 14th,  2021 stating that it only took 10 minutes worth of effort and agreeing to deliver in the next few days.
  • After no follow up for the next 13 months, I decided to test Whiteflame's claim that any user could precipitate a functional change on DART with a successful MEEP demonstrating popular support.  For the first two week of August 2022, I conducted an election on the proposition of a HISTORY category and at the end announced a successful campaign, receiving more populat support than the latest presidential election.
  • I submitted a formal request documenting overwhelming popular support and requesting that 10 minute piece of work be completed sometime in the last 20 weeks of the year.
    • DebateArt, WF, and Vader never made any reply or acknowledgement of the MEEP simply ignored the request for the rest of the year.
    • Therefore, to now characterize that popular campaign by the DebateArt community as "requested by several people" without any acknowledgement of the Democratic seems downright petulant if not outright contemptuous.
    • In spite of their roles as moderators, neither Whiteflame or Vader ever made the least acknowledgement of this, the first user initiated MEEP.
      • To the extent that it took more than two and one half years to effect a popular 10 minute change, I think we have give DebateArt a failing grade for effort.
      • To the extent that part of my intention was to test Whiteflame's claim that anybody can effect a change on DART via a MEEP, I think Mods complete dismissal and lack of attention to this democratic effort transformed another very positive community-based project into another humiliating farce.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
History was needed. It is good that we finally got it. This will motivate people to post more about historic events, even learn from them.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
@Best.Korea
Who was it said?

"History is a version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
"History is a version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."

Takes two or more to agree.
Old tv clips of game show and tv personalities who smoked on screen.

Groucho Marx { a woke person } meets a woke person on his game show. "Bet Your Life " for interesting humor

Then there was Edward R Murrow ---took on McCarthy---  who  was a woke person, and smoked on screen as so many did in the 50's.

..."With the FCLAA set to expire, Congress passed the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act, which President Richard M. Nixon signed into law in 1970. The statute amended the FCLAA by requiring a sterner warning on all cigarette packages and banning cigarette advertising on television and radio, beginning in January 1971."...
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@zedvictor4
I think this quote fits better the official history: "history is always written by the winners".
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@IlDiavolo
Nice one.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@oromagi
  • DebateArt, WF, and Vader never made any reply or acknowledgement of the MEEP simply ignored the request for the rest of the year.

We did not ignore the requests of any user involved. The moderators in of itself had NO control of whether or not the forum got added besides requesting Mike to do so, which we requested him to do so. Creating a whole new page and a whole new tab is not easy as pressing some buttons and boom. Could it have been more timely? Of course, but it was not because we ignore the users requests. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Vader
We did not ignore the requests of any user involved
Bullshit.  Here is that formal request addressing you specifically.  Please document every communication you made in response to this formal request representing the popular vote of 33 active DebateArt members. 

(hint: the answer is zero communication was ever made by either moderator )

Zero communiction for months can only be characterized as ignoring the request and your sad attempts at denial demonstrate a continuing, unacceptable lack of repsonsibility-taking or care for community concerns.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
I am sorry that it's taken so long, it shouldn't have, it's fully on me.

But I am back to active development, so if you have some other suggestions that I may have missed, please let me know and I will definitely write them down and consider them asap.