Holocaust denial legislation is driven by a desire to stigmatize dissent(fivesix)

Author: PREZ-HILTON

Total: 83
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@oromagi
Fivesix declared he is capable of beating TWS1405_2 in a debate, but he’s unwilling to challenge him. 

So much for Fivesix’s false bravado. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
I didn't request a hashing out
  • Perhaps not, but Perez Hilton posted your argument here with your thanks and  this instruction:
"Here is fivesix's argument if you want to hash out some stuff in this thread as well."

• Additionally, most posts to forum are open for discussion, even when discussion is not explictly called for or wanted.
  • You particpated in the hashing out for four or five go-rounds before raising any objection, so I assume the objection was/remains insincere.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
oromagi, one more thing, and I said it before, just want to remind you: the debate is five rounds and I finished one round. at character limit. so I don't know why you're wasting time assuming what I know and claiming things to be true or not.
  • By the end of the first round your affirmative argument should be on the table- readers should know exactly what you are claiming to be true and your primary evidence for that truth statement. 
  • All readers will make assumptions about any author's knowledge based on the author's apparent command of subject- that's just how reading works.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Fivesix declared he is capable of beating TWS1405_2 in a debate, but he’s unwilling to challenge him. 
  • I wouldn't debate TWS either. 
    • He doesn't understand the difference between argument and abuse. 
    • He doesn't understand how fallacies work.  
    • He has exactly one opinion- fear the unfathomed.
If Fivesix is serious about not continuing your debate, then you should definitely put up a respectable round2 and hope to win by default.

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
I shall. 
Can’t believe Fivesix intends to waste my time. 

I can’t STAND timewasters. 
fivesix
Debates: 2
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
yeah, in a debate one would make assumptions after one round. you're acting like you know what I will and will not say in rounds 2-5 without even making a round-1 arg. are you going to debate me?

fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
I won't be continuing with Lancelot after his behaviour, waste of time.

Let me know if you want to debate me

Or you can just rewrite my awful proposition from the opposite side, that you believe the legislation is introduced more for preventing harm to individual Jews than as a means of censorship. Then I will be the contender. Up to you

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
yeah, in a debate one would make assumptions after one round. you're acting like you know what I will and will not say in rounds 2-5
  • false.  I am hashing out what your wrote in Round 1 (i.e.  NGO's secret desires, Canadian legistlation)  I've made no presumptions.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Your path to victory has opened.

Boop, indeed.
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
  • false.  I am hashing out what your wrote in Round 1 (i.e.  NGO's secret desires, Canadian legistlation)  I've made no presumptions.
yeah so did you read my round? no? see the bit at the end, where I note what I will be doing in r2.  I am not finished with Canada.
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
Your path to victory has opened.

Boop, indeed.
boop
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
it's like playing table tennis with somebody where the other guy goes and watches TV in the same room while you're shouting to him if he will come back or why he stopped to go play TV, then he comes back right before you leave, hits the ball once, and goes back to watch TV. then you leave due to his behaviour and having your time unapologetically wasted, then he gets back up and plays with himself and no matter how he plays he will win.

I think 'victory' is not the right word...
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
In the wise words of Oromagi.:
Concision is an important skill in debate and getting straight to point could leave your opponent looking like he's rambling.
My opponent utilized all the text within the character limit to overwhelm me. And all it took was a ‘Boop’ to completely shatter him and throw him off his game. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
 then you leave due to his behaviour ....no matter how he plays he will win
  • yeah.  First to give up loses the match.  That's how most contests work.

fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
  • yeah.  First to give up loses the match.  That's how most contests work.
you can't lose, can you. shame you won't debate me.

now let's see what happens when I boop right back
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot

there is no way I would debate you after you did what you did. you act like a child, you get treated like one: simple. nobody gets a second chance to waste my time.

Regardless of what you say, fivesix. We will debate again.
It’s not a matter of IF, it’s a matter of when. 

Our eventual rematch is inevitable. And when you decide it’s time, you will do everything in your power to win but it will make no difference. 

You shall lose as badly as you lost the first time. 
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
@Sir.Lancelot
I unblocked you and conceded the round

Try not to act like a child again

You think you can win this = you don't know enough about the topic, simple

Have a try though. Looking forward to seeing what you say

Remember the rules btw and the title

oromagi, I am disappointed you pussied out on this one. if you want to challenge me to anything instead of trying to joust on the forum, I am ok with pretty much any WW2 or interwar-period topic as long as it isn't subjective (e.g. "was Hitler evil?") you can DM me and we can discuss
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
 I am ok with pretty much any WW2 or interwar-period topic as long as it isn't subjective
You don't think the desires of unidentified lobbyists is a subjective standard?
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@fivesix
Now I've won. 😎
Thanks for playing.

See you in the rematch. 
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
that's not what subjective means...
because we both know what a lobby is and what a lobby does, don't we
plus I already explained the lobby behaviour at the start. you don't get it: the LOBBYISTS aren't the focus of the debate. you're trying to nullify my premise by introducing a dispute, namely that the existence of the lobby is not confirmed. you want it confirmed? try page 25 of Google or something.

in the UK there have been several petitions by the people to introduce holocaust-denial legislation to parliament. e.g. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/325900
petitions need 10,000 signatures to get a response then they need 100,000 signatures to be considered for debate in parliament. so if you think it works much differently in other countries and that somehow citizens introduce these things and have them discussed in parliaments without a lobby being behind it, go on, keep believing in fairy tales.

subjective = interpretation depends on the subject (person)
objective = interpretation depends on the object (thing)
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
what are you doing?

Pro's Case:
  • Canada is one of the first countries to try and outlaw Holocaust denial.
1. you didn't read my argument
2. you don't know anything about this topic

you know that's wrong, right? as in it's false. what you said there.

unless you're trying some sort of satire here.
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
man your argument is so... what can I say, I'll defeat it with a JPG chart in round 4. you can have the rest of the rounds

no point writing anything if you're not going to read it.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@fivesix
It's not too late to back out now while you still have the chance.
fivesix
fivesix
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
you avoid my questions:

Pro's Case:
  • Canada is one of the first countries to try and outlaw Holocaust denial.
1. you didn't read my argument
2. you don't know anything about this topic

you know that's wrong, right? as in it's false. what you said there.

unless you're trying some sort of satire here.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
that's not what subjective means...
SUBJECTIVEResulting from or pertaining to personal mindsets or experience, arising from perceptive mental conditions within the brain and not necessarily or directly from external stimuli.

because we both know what a lobby is and what a lobby does, don't we
Lobbies are not your subject.  The desires of a non-specified set of lobbyists is your subject.  DESIRES are definitely " Resulting from or pertaining to personal mindsets or experience" and therefore subjective.

You state:  "Please note in this regard by "desire" I mean the mission (an ambition or purpose that is assumed by a person or grou of NGOs (non-governmental organisations) who lobby for the introduction of such legislation via the creation thereof by a governmental authority."

Mission, ambition, purpose  of unspecified NGOs are definitely "Resulting from or pertaining to personal mindsets or experience."

plus I already explained the lobby behaviour at the start. you don't get it: the LOBBYISTS aren't the focus of the debate.
  • Agreed, the desires of those lobbyists are the focus of this debate.
you're trying to nullify my premise by introducing a dispute, namely that the existence of the lobby is not confirmed. you want it confirmed? try page 25 of Google or something.
  • Well, if you continue to fail to specify any NGO, I think the nullification of your premise is your fault.  Once specified, then you have to investigate the emotional state of the employees running those NGOs and prove "Desire to stigmatize."  Then you've got connect those NGOs to enough speficific legislation to reasonably represent all "Holocaust denial legislation."
in the UK there have been several petitions by the people to introduce holocaust-denial legislation to parliament. e.g. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/325900
petitions need 10,000 signatures to get a response then they need 100,000 signatures to be considered for debate in parliament.
  • There is no statute in the UK regulating Holocaust denial.
so if you think it works much differently in other countries and that somehow citizens introduce these things and have them discussed in parliaments without a lobby being behind it, go on, keep believing in fairy tales.
  • I do think it works much differently in other countries:
    • Kevin Waugh, as already discussed, is the Canadian MP who introduced the Canadian bill without any mention of any lobying group.
    • Vladamir Putin signed the Law Against Rehabilitation of Nazism in 2014 without any apparent petitions or lobby.
    • The 2018  Law of the People's Republic of China on the Protection of Heroes and Martyrs  was introduced by tje Five Heroes of Langya Mountain without any apparant regard for petitions or lobbyist

fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
are you actually joking now?

you're quoting things I have specified and telling me they are subjective.

• Well, if you continue to fail to specify any NGO, I think the nullification of your premise is your fault.  Once specified, then you have to investigate the emotional state of the employees running those NGOs and prove "Desire to stigmatize."  Then you've got connect those NGOs to enough speficific legislation to reasonably represent all "Holocaust denial legislation."
not exactly. all I have to do is, as my title implies, argue that their introduction of proposed legislation to government is more likely driven by a desire to censor than a desire to protect individual Jews. and all you have to do is argue that it's more likely to be to protect individual Jews than it is to censor.

• I do think it works much differently in other countries:
    • Kevin Waugh, as already discussed, is the Canadian MP who introduced the Canadian bill without any mention of any lobying group.
    • Vladamir Putin signed the Law Against Rehabilitation of Nazism in 2014 without any apparent petitions or lobby.
    • The 2018  Law of the People's Republic of China on the Protection of Heroes and Martyrs  was introduced by tje Five Heroes of Langya Mountain without any apparant regard for petitions or lobbyist
first two are members of government. of course, any member of a parliament, for example, can get up and say something. and a president can say anything at any time. I already excluded government entities by specifying in my description that the desire is in NGOs introducing legislation to government. third one, I highly doubt five citizens were solely responsible for bringing legislation to government. even if so... it's China...? democratic consideration is merely a formality, would you not agree?

look, you can find exclusions if you want to. I don't rely on their non-existence to be able to win this, because in all the cases I know of there are NGOs in the background.

another thing: the Chinese and Russian laws are not specifically about the Holocaust, so I'm not sure about their validity in this argument overall.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@fivesix
I will however debate anybody else on this topic. including the pedant oromagi, who seems to prefer discussing this and that and picking everything apart to capitalise theoretically on any ambiguity in my diction and implication rather than just being normal and debating the premise: essentially, is it more likely that denial legislation is driven by a will to censor or a will to protect individual Jews from harm? that's it. it's not complicated and you don't need to make it so if my argument is so weak. weak arguments may be destroyed with minimal effort. so prove it and do it instead of acting like it would be so easy to do

but remember the rules of the debate, namely 'no kritiks' and the fking title, read it again and again and again and we must agree on the rules prior to starting (that's in the description)

so if you want to do it please review the rules and come back with objections/suggestions.
Your proposition will inevitably result in an extension that isn't quantifiable. That is, "Holocaust-denial legislation is driven more by a desire to criminalise thus stigmatise dissent than by a desire to mitigate harm, resulting from Holocaust denial, to individual Jews," focuses on the juxtaposition of "desire," as opposed to the consequences of the legislation. The outline/structure of your proposition can be reduced simply to this "X is driven more by a desire to Y than by a desire to Z." What oromagi is telling you--at least in part--is that unless you can provide telepathic evidence as to how you can observe someone's, anyone's, or everyone's "desires," especially in the absence of explicit statement, it is impossible to validate your affirmation.

With that said, I agree with what I believe you're trying to state. The proposition is just worded in a manner that places a near impossible task on you. If worded like this, "Holocaust-Denial legislation (will or is made to) criminalize, and thus stigmatize dissent as opposed to mitigate harm resulting from Holocaust denial to individual Jews" you can avoid any onus on your part to quantify that which you can't.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@fivesix
you're quoting things I have specified and telling me they are subjective.
  • Desire is subjective, yes
not exactly. all I have to do is, as my title implies, argue that their
  • They who?  So far, all you've said is NGOs.
introduction of proposed legislation to government is more likely driven by a desire to censor than a desire to protect individual Jews.
  • And I say anybody who says they prove another's human's desire for a fact is a fool.
and all you have to do is argue that it's more likely to be to protect individual Jews than it is to censor.
  • False and a real miscomprehenion about how debate works.  All SirLancelot has to do is argue that you can't know the actual desires of many different  lobbyists in many different lands, much less prove that those desire are all in sync, and you are toast.  The contender only has to establish that you can't prove your claim true, the contender doesn't have to prove that the reverse of your claim is true.  A contender only has to  argue that no evidence proves the Earth is flat, the contender does not also have to prove the Earth is round.
first two are members of government. of course, any member of a parliament, for example, can get up and say something. and a president can say anything at any time. I already excluded government entities by specifying in my description that the desire is in NGOs introducing legislation to government.
  • Right, so any examples of Holocaust Denial Legislation that was never driven by the desires of lobbyists disproves your overgeneralization.  Clearly, some Holocaust Denial Legislation is NOT driven by the desires you claim.
third one, I highly doubt five citizens were solely responsible for bringing legislation to government. even if so... it's China...? democratic consideration is merely a formality, would you not agree?
  • Doesn't matter.  So long as you can't prove Chinese Holocaust denial legislation was driven by the desires of lobbyists, your argument is dispoved.
look, you can find exclusions if you want to. I don't rely on their non-existence to be able to win this, because in all the cases I know of there are NGOs in the background.
  • So far,  all you've talked about is the US and Canada.  No such in the US.  No such NGO in Canada.
another thing: the Chinese and Russian laws are not specifically about the Holocaust, so I'm not sure about their validity in this argument overall.
Russia specifically  outlaws denying "the crimes of Nazism."  China is generic.   You didn't say, "Some Holocaust Denial legislation,"  you said "Holocaust Denial legislation" That is, you have stated  you  can prove the true desires of NGOs as a universal fact or general principle when it comes to Holocaust Denial legislation.  So far, we haven't found Holocaust Denial laws sponsored by NGO in US, UK, Canada, Russia, and China.

fivesix
fivesix
-->
@Athias
Your proposition will inevitably result in an extension that isn't quantifiable. That is, "Holocaust-denial legislation is driven more by a desire to criminalise thus stigmatise dissent than by a desire to mitigate harm, resulting from Holocaust denial, to individual Jews," focuses on the juxtaposition of "desire," as opposed to the consequences of the legislation. The outline/structure of your proposition can be reduced simply to this "X is driven more by a desire to Y than by a desire to Z." What oromagi is telling you--at least in part--is that unless you can provide telepathic evidence as to how you can observe someone's, anyone's, or everyone's "desires," especially in the absence of explicit statement, it is impossible to validate your affirmation.

With that said, I agree with what I believe you're trying to state. The proposition is just worded in a manner that places a near impossible task on you. If worded like this, "Holocaust-Denial legislation (will or is made to) criminalize, and thus stigmatize dissent as opposed to mitigate harm resulting from Holocaust denial to individual Jews" you can avoid any onus on your part to quantify that which you can't.
If Holocaust-denial legislation is made to criminalise thus stigmatise dissent, do you think that would be a stated intent by any party making it so? I am forced to focus on the desire, not any stated intent or extant proof, in this regard, becase it is simply not a rationale one would admit to. They would, however, state the intent as being to protect individual Jews. And that is the visible status quo whose integrity I am objecting to with my proposition.

fivesix
fivesix
-->
@oromagi
  • Desire is subjective, yes
desire is subjective, but I have specified what I mean by it. so it is not subjective here:
The debate is about *the desire* that drives the legislation to come into effect, *not the reason* for it to come into effect. i.e. the motive behind the introduction of legislation. Please note in this regard by "desire" I mean the mission (an ambition or purpose that is assumed by a person or group[https://www.wordnik.com/words/mission]) of NGOs (non-governmental organisations) who lobby for the introduction of such legislation via the creation thereof by a governmental authority.

• They who?  So far, all you've said is NGOs.
NGOs, yes. described in my description:
NGOs (non-governmental organisations) who lobby for the introduction of such legislation via the creation thereof by a governmental authority

• And I say anybody who says they prove another's human's desire for a fact is a fool.
Read. Read what I wrote before. And read the title. It's not about proving anything. It's about arguing A over B. I've made it clear.

• False and a real miscomprehenion about how debate works.  All SirLancelot has to do is argue that you can't know the actual desires of many different  lobbyists in many different lands, much less prove that those desire are all in sync, and you are toast.  The contender only has to establish that you can't prove your claim true, the contender doesn't have to prove that the reverse of your claim is true.  A contender only has to  argue that no evidence proves the Earth is flat, the contender does not also have to prove the Earth is round.
by the same logic, all I have to do is say the reasons given for all legislation are lies. do you want to have debates like children? comprehension can't be false.

• Right, so any examples of Holocaust Denial Legislation that was never driven by the desires of lobbyists disproves your overgeneralization.  Clearly, some Holocaust Denial Legislation is NOT driven by the desires you claim.
the Russian and Chinese laws are not about the Holocaust. the Canadian one is and several other countries.

• Doesn't matter.  So long as you can't prove Chinese Holocaust denial legislation was driven by the desires of lobbyists, your argument is dispoved.
Again, the debate is not about the existence of lobbies, rather by their desire. As in, you can't argue about their desire by arguing that they do or don't exist.

• So far,  all you've talked about is the US and Canada.  No such in the US.  No such NGO in Canada.
You actually just proved you didn't read my argument because I mention one, maybe two

Russia specifically  outlaws denying "the crimes of Nazism."  China is generic.   You didn't say, "Some Holocaust Denial legislation,"  you said "Holocaust Denial legislation" That is, you have stated  you  can prove the true desires of NGOs as a universal fact or general principle when it comes to Holocaust Denial legislation.  So far, we haven't found Holocaust Denial laws sponsored by NGO in US, UK, Canada, Russia, and China.
Crimes of Nazism. That's what the law is for. Actually, you need to research this a bit more before making statements about it. 'Holocaust denial' is not absolutely illegal in Russia. It's complicated. There was a guy released and compensated for wrongful arrest lately because he made it known that he didn't believe some of it.

In any case, debate me or drop it. This is pointless.