Why do you think 90% if not more members on DART are male (or at least active members)?

Author: Bella3sp

Total: 56
Bella3sp
Debates: 52
Bella3sp
I've been on this website for around 28 days and I haven't seen the sight of a female in debates or currently active threads.  
All members I've seen are males in both debates and forums. 

My question is, why? Why do you think most are male rather than females? 
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Bella3sp
I don't think females generally give a shit about wasting their time with mental masturbation. It's also why you see more male philosophers. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
  1. There is, in my opinion, a misogynistic vibe among many here when their posts regard women. You can try and say pot calling kettle black but I really just observe women and see the differences. I even have studied female psychology as a hobby to better understand them, so when I say things about them, it is from a place of actual learning and understanding. Enough guys here talk about women in a very negatively judgemental way.
  2. The lack of bonding and kinship between those who agree and instead only having the equivalent of bitchiness makes this site devoid of an important site-cultural element women enjoy. Women like to bond with those they agree with, generally. This website angles everyone to primarily interact with those they disagree with, which has the bitchiness both genders engage in but lacks the flip side of that which women tend to enjoy.
  3. There are more men on the entire Internet to begin with, as Wylted implies differently. Women enjoy using forums less intensely and often than men do. I predict it is also why social media addiction only tends to blatantly harm male ability to read tone and expression, not female social ability (this is sexist but blatantly true and something not really explored). Females develop social skills out of a natural drive towards them. The pure hermit man has no female counterpart at all. Women enjoy and need interaction on a face to face type of level to degrees men have less of. That makes this website especially as it lacks video and voice, sterile seeming to them. To support me on this, OG debate.org had a community-driven Google Hangouts group that used voice and video. It was a tiny group of say 11 guys and 3 chicks/girls. That ratio is stillow but clearly higher than what is maintained here.
  4. In my experience in life, there are essentially three types of women in arguments:
  • The type who go yeah okay cool mhmm right but here is my point, I am right.
  • The type who are fantastic ranters on passionate topics that would struggle to play devil's advocate and struggle to enjoy or care about rebuttals.
  • The type who are excellent listeners and care little for convincing and arguing. They would rather spread joy than anger and feel that arguing and debate are too hostile for their liking generally.
This website requires someone who is a hybrid of type 2 and type 3. Type 1 there can last on the forums but soon gets bored of it and frustrated.

Best.Korea
Debates: 266
Best.Korea
Females are different from males. They have different interests and do different activities.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Bella3sp
Females are more concerned with instant gratification through social approval rather than taking hard knocks to improve themselves. 55% of TikTok are women. 62% of Twitter users are female.

That's because women do not have the social pressures of accountability in America compared to men.
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
I guess it's just that the idea of debate is such a fiercely competitive environment. (Not that women can't be interested in competition, but it generally tends to appeal more to men.)
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Females want likes, not votes. Votes are too hard to deal with.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
I have seen a few female debaters in live debates, but its really a small number compared to number of males there.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
We actually had a lot of awesome lesbian debaters on the old Debate site 10 years ago.
Bella3sp
Debates: 52
Bella3sp
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Hm, alright. I don't think there's much to say. I have mixed feelings about this response.

Maybe i'll get to it later if I think of something that extends further than what I am thinking as of right now. 

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Bella3sp
I think generally speaking, female brains are just wired differently. Most women are right brained, so they follow their intuition. Most males are left brained, so we're more analytical.

It's not a difference in intelligence, which has more to do with ability. It's just a matter of what tools we use to reach our conclusions and make decisions. Since women tend to rely on what they feel, debate is just not appealing as it wouldn't accomplish anything. You can't argue with what someone feels (ask any husband).
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Greyparrot
Sounds possible.
Today I mostly see females debating on social media like twitter, youtube and Quora. But debates there are usually short and more often are not really debates but an exchange of assumptions and insults and jokes.
Elliott
Debates: 0
Elliott
I have been posting since October last year and there have been three that I think have identified as being female. Shila who has left, Avery who has also left and the Witch.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Bella3sp
I don't know, a few random guesses,
Though could be combo.

Maybe men use the internet more than women.

Maybe men 'used to use the internet more than women,
And because this site was founded by an older debate website,
It skewed it's starting ratio.

Maybe men and women have different interests or methods, (Generally speaking),
Whether because of culture or genetics.

Maybe more women use this site than is realized,
They just don't bring up that they are women.

Maybe more men are single,
And maybe single people use the internet more, or interact with strangers more online,
As opposed to something like Facebook, where one communicates with friends, family, coworkers, acquaintances.

I don't know what sex statistics are for other debate sites, forums, and what.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Bella3sp
People come and go but honestly the only real value point this site has to offer is for white boys who hate too hard to be tolerated on the well managed sites.  Those fuckwits don't have any other place that'll have them, so they slowly just became the majority population here, stroking each other's inner fear furries.   Island of misfit toys but the toys are mostly just racist.
badger
badger
oro nails it. These losers spend all day talking about trans or hating blacks. We're next thing to an incel forum. And baffling what hard knocks GP is supposed to be taking on in order to improve himself. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
 Badger and Orogami are good examples of frequenters of this website, after all.

One is the rank 1 debater.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@oromagi
People come and go but honestly the only real value point this site has to offer is for white boys who hate too hard to be tolerated on the well managed sites
I am going to see what I can do to balance it out. I don't want to go to far in the other direction though. I think the value of this site is drawing in extremists to logically point out the flaws in their position before they take their ideology too far. Unfortunately we don't have very intelligent extremists here, other than the guy who fucks animals. He argues his position well, but ideally we would draw in simultaneously more intelligent extremists. Fivesix seems intelligent and open to logical cases against him for example. I have seen him reconsider his premises. 

We just need to draw in people who can counter their narratives. Trust me, you don't want these people off the site and I  forums where they hear no alternative philosophies, it's dangerous. For every Ted Kazynski on the site, their should be a ray kurzweil. For every David Duke there should be a Jordan Peterson to show them they are wrong. 

The risk of course if extremists see the best arguments and can defeat them. It's a very real risk since the people here are so bad at arguing against them. For example if I took the ideology of the SCUM manifesto and debated 20 random users here, unless I got bored I would beat 19 of them maybe 20. However the doubt facing good arguments can give them is by far better than being in echo chambers of hate. 

Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
We just need to draw in people who can counter their narratives. Trust me, you don't want these people off the site and I  forums where they hear no alternative philosophies, it's dangerous. For every Ted Kazynski on the site, their should be a ray kurzweil. For every David Duke there should be a Jordan Peterson to show them they are wrong. 
Correct.

The big industries think the solution to extremism is censorship. But all gatekeeping does is remove the person and create a power vacuum that will eventually be replaced by someone worse. It doesn't actually get rid of the ideology. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I promise you that Timothy McVeigh never heard a good argument against his position. 
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
no worries. this site wont last much longer. enjoy what you can, it will be over soon.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Greyparrot
But DA has also a "like" button like Twitter or facebook. Why the difference then?

My opinion is that the DA site is either not enough attractive for some people or the admin is not doing the right thing for attracting more users.

I don't know what the admin/owner wants but this site can be more appealing if it looks more like social media apps. Perhaps having the option to include images/videos in the posting, I think it's too tedious to open a link just to watch an image/video. And never underestimate the power of SEO, I remember I had troubles to find this site.

Reddit for example has a better design and it attracts a lot of women -representing like 40% of all the users-. So, I don't think it's just a matter of gender difference.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Melcharaz
Why do you say that? Is there something that we dont know yet?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@IlDiavolo
 Debates, by nature, are very judgmental, and not a source of approval.

There is no way Dart can compete with Tiktok and Twitter as a platform for approval.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
I don't think females generally give a shit about wasting their time with mental masturbation. It's also why you see more male philosophers. 

Females are more concerned with instant gratification through social approval rather than taking hard knocks to improve themselves. 55% of TikTok are women. 62% of Twitter users are female.

That's because women do not have the social pressures of accountability in America compared to men.

Two true statements. 

The following is pure bullshit insecure intellectual cowardice responses:

People come and go but honestly the only real value point this site has to offer is for white boys who hate too hard to be tolerated on the well managed sites.  Those fuckwits don't have any other place that'll have them, so they slowly just became the majority population here, stroking each other's inner fear furries.   Island of misfit toys but the toys are mostly just racist.

oro nails it. These losers spend all day talking about trans or hating blacks. We're next thing to an incel forum. And baffling what hard knocks GP is supposed to be taking on in order to improve himself. 

People who cannot disprove others who proffer taboo arguments are the one's always crying racism and getting their thing skin hurt. Too chicken shit they are to actually debate the merits of the topic, so they cry racism and anti-white hate.  
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Greyparrot
But Dart is not just debate as far as I can see. Actually I've never had a debate, I'm confortable posting in the forums which are not necessarily judgemental.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
no worries. this site wont last much longer. enjoy what you can, it will be over soon.
Damn is the FBI shutting us down because sometimes people don't get along and talk shit about each other in each other's threads? That definitely rises to criminal harassment. You have a valid point. Lol
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@IlDiavolo
you just haven't run into the forum extremists yet :)
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@oromagi
@badger
@Bella3sp

What they said...that, and it doesn't help that PREZ-HILTON sends them his costume nude pics to welcome them to the site.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
it doesn't help that PREZ-HILTON sends them his costume nude pics
You got a better ideal how to welcome them?