How to read the Bible - Guide for beginners

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 200
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Bible contains the necessary knowledge for humans. Bible, being the word inspired by God, is the main book of Christians and is the one they should all read.

So the order of reading would be:

1) Matthew
2) Mark
3) Luke
4) John

These 4 are stories about the life of Jesus. Very important to read them. They are found at the beginning of the New Testament. If you have only little time to read, I suggest you read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These are the most important parts of the Bible.

5) Acts

Acts are deeds done by the disciples of Jesus.

Next, you should be reading:
6) Genesis
7) Exodus
8) Leviticus
9) Numbers
10) Deuteronomy

These contain the story of first humans and first believers.

If you like the praises of God and poems, I recommend Psalms in the Bible.

If you like traditional wisdom, I recommend proverbs - there is chapter in the Bible called proverbs.

If you like love stories, Bible has that too in the chapter Song of songs.

If you have any particular question in life but you are too lazy to read the entire Bible, just go to google and type "What does the Bible say about this". After finding what chapter in the Bible relates to your problem, open the Bible and read it.

Dont forget about prayer. After reading the Bible, say the prayer. When going to bed, before falling asleep say the prayer:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
before all things, there must be the right attitude and spirit. Those that read God's word must first “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5 KJV)

hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

be ready to believe and seek God's understanding.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Best.Korea
 If you have only little time to read, I suggest you read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These are the most important parts of the Bible.

Why are they important?

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

Sounds to me very much like a poem from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Dont forget about prayer. 
Prayer as in:

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew7:7-8

Probably the most cruel lie ever to be written.

Stephen
Stephen

@ Melcharaz,Wrote:
before all things, there must be the right attitude and spirit. Those that read God's word must first “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.”

So before even opening this book, we must believe in Jesus? 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Best.Korea
I'd suggest reading Mark first. Read it out loud and read it in one sitting.  Most of these books in the NT were meant to be read out loud and often in one sitting. 

But Mark is the shortest gospel -and there is a certain speed to it as well. 

I am pleased to see you care that people read the bible and are attempting to assist. I can't fault that position. 

I think it's good to read one gospel first - read the book of Acts, and followed by some of Paul's writings. Romans is a good book to read, even though it is pretty meaty. 

In the OT - Genesis and Exodus - good places to start. I wouldn't worry about the next 3 until later - read some of kings of Israel - David and how the nation went sour and into exile. History is helpful.  

Read some of the wisdom books - Job is good place to start for suffering and asking the question why.  Songs for marriage and love and relationships. Proverbs has lots of principles.   

Wait a while before you get into the prophecies, like the minor prophets and the book of Revelation.  they are interesting but unless you understand genre and what the purpose of prophecy is - you will get lost.    In the West we tend to think that prophecy is about predicting the future, in the Middle East where these books were written - the purpose of prophecy was to cause people to respond ethically to particular events and possibilities. The example of Jonah is helpful. 

Jonah was an OT prophet who made a prophecy against a Gentile city.  this prophecy did not literally come true. So why wasn't he stoned as a false prophet - but rather his story was enshrined in the OT and even referred to by Jesus?   The answer comes back to purpose.  Did it achieve what it was meant to? And the answer is yes. 

The same can be applied to the book of Revelation.  What is its purpose? To reveal the wrath of God against the Jews for killing the messiah.  and to offer salvation for those who were prepared to trust Jesus.  

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
i think anything after Jesus is more important than anything before jesus. id read to the new testament from beginning to end. there might be a better overall strategy, but that one seems pretty solid, beginning to end. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
If GODDO always had resurrection up its sleeve then why would it need to be wrathful?

Actually, given it's omni-capabilities, why would a GOD be wrathful at all.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Well obviously. 
The ultimate way to first read the bible would be EXACTLY  how Bastian got and read The Neverending story. 

Here at (  ELABORATE SETUPS ). R us 
 We  are offering  (   The Neverending story pacage.  )
I will not go into how we have someone you Know run into a old warehouse whith a backpack containing a bible and sandwiches
butttttttttt. 
Guys just please  know ive spent the last two hours thinking about how this can be achieved.  
Really i have. 
You lot know i have.  

You'd never read it a better way. Then TNES way. 

P.s  His name was Falkor.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Id say the most popular first time people  read a bible would be. 

Off ya tits on christ knows what in a motel room with mates. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
If GODDO always had resurrection up its sleeve then why would it need to be wrathful?

Actually, given it's omni-capabilities, why would a GOD be wrathful at all.

Resurrection isn't something up someone's sleeve.   People live and then they die. That is because of sin.  

Wrath is a reasonable response to evil.  Wrath is anger at evil. It is also the framework in relation to justice. 

Omni- capabilities don't imply that a person, even God, must need remain neutral. The same question could be said about love. Why be loving if he is omni-capable. 

Wrath is not just an emotion - it is the essence of justice. And in particular when justice has been broken. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@Best.Korea
you mean, "the Christian bible."
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
There you go Trade, off interpreting  again.

Just as I did.

Some might even say that death is the inevitability of life relative to innate programming.

And some might further say that sin is a concept relative to the species ability to over think.

And further still, some might suggest that love is an overused word, relative to any pleasant response to a sensory stimulus.

Does every living organism die because of sin?

What about trees. What did trees ever do to embarrass GODDO.

Was it the apple thing?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
Can you offer any theory as to, if this is the right order in which to read the book, literally every bible ever printed has been printed in the wrong order? 
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
-->
@Best.Korea
Is there an order to which gospel to read first, and why?
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@Stephen

Seems like the intent is to say 
"Seek and you shall find" 
"Be disinterested and it will not matter." 
Attitude is everything. If a person does not care about what they are doing, they will not benefit from it.  

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew7:7-8

How is that a lie?
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Best.Korea
I would recommend reading the Bible from start to finish keeping in mind it is supposedly 'the inspired word' of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omnipresent being.  If you start at "In the beginning", it won't take too long to realize that's bullshit.

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne,,

YOUR QUOTE OF DISDAIN FOR MY SERIAL KILLER JESUS: " ....... keeping in mind it is supposedly 'the inspired word' of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omnipresent being."

Lest you forget, this being you speak of is Jesus the Christ as God:  "Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:1)

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@hey-yo
Is there an order to which gospel to read first, and why?
I would say read gospel of Matthew first.

I consider all gospels to be good. I dont have any particular order in mind for gospels. I know that when I first got my hands on the Bible, I read the gospels first, not the Genesis. The gospels caused me to love the Bible and stick to it. I read them in the order they are written in the Bible.

I think its best to read all 4 gospels first, before reading other parts of the Bible. It makes the book easier to understand. If you read Bible from beginning to the end in order, it would take you a long time to reach gospels. However, if you read gospels first, then you get the basics of Christianity immediatelly.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@hey-yo
seek

Before or after opening the bible?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ludofl3x
Just start at the beginning and finish at the end.

Or for fun, read it backwards.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ludofl3x
Can you offer any theory as to, if this is the right order in which to read the book, literally every bible ever printed has been printed in the wrong order? 

Here's a  short cut to save you the trouble.

Regardless of  the story that some jumped up bullshitting Pastor or Chaplain such as our resident Reverend Tradsecret may want to push onto you;

the OT is a story  about one single bloodlines wars and conquest at the behest of a god. They lost. It all ended in disaster and captivity for said bloodline until some other foreign conqueror released them from their captivity.

Then we have a giant leap of some 500 years;

when a man believing himself to be heir to the throne of Jerusalem and king of the Jews and  allegedly a descendant of the same bloodline as those of the OT appears out of nowhere at about the age of 30 and causes serious in-fighting between all the other tribal descendants of the same bloodline and other sects and factions that leads to a full scale war with foreign occupiers that results in the total destruction of the very people and the very kingdom that he was allegedly promised he would rule over  for ever end ever. But he lost.
And then he dies.

TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@Best.Korea
BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!

You are NO biblical scholar here. 

Your suggestions are pure BULLSHIT!!!!

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@TWS1405_2
You sound happy and angry at the same time.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@Best.Korea
And you sound like a blathering idiot pedophile. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@TWS1405_2
I will pray for you.
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@Stephen
If you are asking when does one seek, the answer is before, during, and after reading the bible. However no one is oblidged to seek if you are just reading for the sake of reading. Just that a thing (in this case God) is not normally found without looking for it. 

Again this relies on your attitude. 
Do you agree that if a person does not care about x, they will not develop a belief for it?
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@Stephen
when a man believing himself to be heir to the throne of Jerusalem and king of the Jews and  allegedly a descendant of the same bloodline as those of the OT appears out of nowhere at about the age of 30 and causes serious in-fighting between all the other tribal descendants of the same bloodline and other sects and factions that leads to a full scale war with foreign occupiers that results in the total destruction of the very people and the very kingdom that he was allegedly promised he would rule over  for ever end ever. But he lost.
What the heck are you refering to?
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Stephen
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew7:7-8

How come you say this is a lie?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@hey-yo
What the heck are you refering to?

The story of the biblical Jesus and his failed mission. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Skipper_Sr

How come you say this is a lie?

Here you go.