Your changes to education system

Author: hey-yo

Total: 5
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
Consider any educational system/institution.  public schooling, private schooling, or home schooling.   Or make one up. 

What would you add to that educational system/institute to change how students experence their day? 

For me I would add goals to be taught in all programs and subjects
1. Intrapersonal skills - emotional intellegience 
2. Interpersonal skills - self advocacy and communication
3. Social environment - this takes 1&2 and then uses it
4. Critical thinking skills 
5. Age approprate understanding of the body (human biology and medical sciences)

Subjects would include 
1. Arts (self expression)
2. Reading
3. Math
4. P.e. (to include self defense)
5. Age appropriate approach to philosophy, emotional intellegence, critical thinking and more. 

Subjects may increase with grade/age to include electives like
6. Computer skills
7. Labor skills 
8. Languages
9. Accounting & business basics 

Personally I think the younger ages are supposed to run and play and explore more than just sit and watch. Many home schooling has days where class content is covered for only half a day and then the remainder is open. Mirroring this practice could be benefitial. Schools may provide more on site and off site hands on learning environments allowing students to persue interests and make decisions as to what thst may look like. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
The biggest mistake of our educational system is forcing kids to do things that benefit nobody.

If the kid is not interested in reading history books, they force a kid to read history books through decades of education, hello whats the point? The kid obviously wont become a history teacher and will obviously forget 99.99% of what he learned and will just find it more difficult to focus on what he is interested in.

The failure of our education system is such that it tries to turn kids into something they are not, and tries to do it by force.

On top of that, the kid gets bullied by other kids. Sometimes a lot. The school is a place of bullying and child abuse to the point where they had to make it a law that teachers cant beat kids. Now the teachers can emotionally abuse kids instead.

The result of such retarded education system are all the depressed idiots we have right now in society.

So yes, the solution is to abolish the whole thing. There is no fixing. This thing is designed by idiots to produce more idiots.
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
Wow I admit I did not see that conclusion coming

262 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@hey-yo
Saving money, investing money, and working,
History and Law.
. . 

I suppose one could try 'mixing subjects more,
By this I mean, dodgeball re-enactment of Bunker Hill (Though with chance of Americans losing, risk adds fun)
Or spelling bee basketball,
Use of math in history class to compare sides in conflict, or price changes in the Great Depression,
I don't know, 'something.

Also less homework.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
It's important that people learn the fundamentals but there also isn't enough of a "free market" element to adult education. The needs of the economy are constantly evolving and a curriculum centrally planned by some panel of academics 25 years ago will be of dubious value when it comes to this.

The best way to learn relevant skillsets is to get a job in the field you want to work in and then find your "in" to on-the-job experience and training. But plenty of people don't succeed at this and get stuck in low-skilled positions for the rest of their working days. Which is a damning testament to how woefully inefficient the current process is.
What I'd like to see is a "corps of recently retired workers" who do mentorships with younger workers to teach them how to do high-skilled labor, which then would trickle down to a general culture of free, generous sharing of knowledge between peers. Granted, this would make currently scarce resumes more common, and potentially less lucrative, but the massive windfalls in terms of economic growth would outweigh this in the long run. This would also make it easier for groups of professionals with diverse qualifications to meet each other, say, on a phone app and plan a joint venture that's competitive with established industries, breaking up small monopolies which exist today and keep consumer prices artificially high (e.g. the market for insulin).