Black guy voice, is it different from others?

Author: IlDiavolo

Total: 62
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
The voice of black guys, either male or female, sounds quite different from the rest of people. If I were to guess a voice I could distinguish if it belongs to a black guy or not.

What is it? Is it a matter of accent, genetics or both? 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
It is the accent, not the voice, that makes blacks so uniquely noticeable. They always make themselves have a super distinctive accent even in nations where they are the majority (it is insulting to them if whites talk their way even in African nations, only the Caribbean black people are generally open to other ethnicities using their accent and delivery). However, this of course doesn't apply to their native tongues, it is a compliment to talk with the proper accent then 

Black men and white men have a huger range in vocal tones than Asian males of any ethnicity do. The reason is that the males of black and wh8te ethnicity subsets of the races have a huger range in physocal stature and thus neck and jaw structure too.

You will for instance barely ever meet a naturally loud Asian man just as surely as barely meeting a naturally deep one.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@IlDiavolo
Accent and social development/integration.

Come to the UK and I will show you what I mean by social integration and the adoption of accent.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@IlDiavolo
There are some deepvoiced Asians though, they are a significant minority is all.
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@IlDiavolo
Ebonics. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@RationalMadman
@zedvictor4
That's getting interesting, because I think there's some of genetics in it.

Let's take an interview as an example, in which Zed have to tell a lot because he's british as far as I know.

youtu.be/sPu0j7towPA

So, there are two blacks in this video, one blacker than the other. If you compare their voices, you can tell it's the same fucking accent british people have, but the tone of their voices are different.

I mean, Kaluuya has a deeper voice since he looks more african, and that's the voice I consider more related to blacks, while the other -the host- is not enterily black, he actually looks mulato, like a caribbean, and his voice sounds more white.

What do you think?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@IlDiavolo
you talk about black people in a very... off way.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@IlDiavolo
There is no such thing as a black or white sounding voice, only accent and delivery. As I said,black and white people have massive range in their vocalisation, more than Asians do.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
IlDiavolo is right. 

Blacks naturally have a richer, more baritone sound. You whites have no bass in your voice. 

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
But it’s mostly Ebonics.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@IlDiavolo
If you listen to black and white celebrities from Atlanta talk, they have the same accent but they do sound different. 

Blacks have a “rumbler” sound and whites generally have a “tinnier” sound. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@RationalMadman
you talk about black people in a very... off way.
What do you mean by that? Is my post derogatory? I don't think so. Unless you are black, I'd get it.

It's just a valid observation, as if you said black people are not good for swimming, which is true and in fact science has an explanation for that, something related to the center of mass as far as I remember.

But whatever, my point is that blacks have some physical trait that makes them have this particular voice. It's not any kind of deep voice, because for example Vin Diesel has a deep voice, but it's different eventhough he has black genes running through his veins.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
It sounds interesting. I'll check that.

Are you black, by the way?
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
Yes.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I have heard plenty of higher or medium pitched black guys. 
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
Exceptions exist.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I think what you say is true for both black and white people vs Asians.

I am not looking for beef though. A thicker neck leads to bass even in higher pitched people by the way.

Higher pitched with bass is literally what a typical loud, chubbier woman is for example.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
I am not looking for beef though. A thicker neck leads to bass even in higher pitched people by the way.
Well...Not sure Mike Tyson would agree. 😅
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
But yes, that is true
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@IlDiavolo
Video not available in the UK.

Well,  the influence of genetics is unavoidable in all aspects of human physical and social development.

And as people spread out from the cradle of humanity so they modified genetically.

Nonetheless, if a very dark toned person, born and raised in Central Africa, could meet there alter ego who was born and raised in Scotland, there would be similarities in the physicality of their vocal production, but very contrasting differences in accent, intonation, pronunciation, inflection etc.

But of course, they would look the same.

So, two simple conclusions:

1. Some aspects of an individuals persona, are inherited.

2. Some factors of an individuals persona, are learned by association.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
I've always been able to distinguish between the voices of so-called "Black" adults and every other demographic (I can do this as well for so-called "Hispanic" adults) whether they were speaking English, French, Spanish, etc. In my opinion, it's not just "accent," which focuses more on enunciation and inflections,  or "Ebonics," which is just the content of speech;  It's more the tone and perturbation of their voices. (I could tell that Bryant Gumbel and Larry Elder were "men of color" before seeing their faces.)
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
depends on what differences you notice. every voice is different and so is everyones hearing or method of differentation.
to a large amount of white people in the usa, im sure you could find a consensus.
Lemming
Lemming
Jessica Lynn Sings Queen of the Night Aria

Eh,
I don't think having black 'skin, makes one's voice lower,
Lot of variation in Africa, lot of variation in black people.

'Implied social expectations can effect people,
. . .

Still, I've never really looked into the genetics and statistics of races much, so eh, I dunno.
. . .
Still, I don't 'deny the existence of genetics and groupings of people, nature's influence, nurture's influence on natural selection.
. . .

Still, the term 'black,
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Athias
I've always been able to distinguish between the voices of so-called "Black" adults and every other demographic (I can do this as well for so-called "Hispanic" adults) whether they were speaking English, French, Spanish, etc. In my opinion, it's not just "accent," which focuses more on enunciation and inflections,  or "Ebonics," which is just the content of speech;  It's more the tone and perturbation of their voices. (I could tell that Bryant Gumbel and Larry Elder were "men of color" before seeing their faces.)
What Athias said, in 40 years in business I've recognized whatever that distinctive tonal quality is hundreds of times, very rarely was I ever wrong when we later met.  Whatever that quality is, it comes through no matter the accent, enunciation, volume, pace, pitch, rate, rhythm, articulation, pronunciation, whatever other qualities a voice has, no two voices are the same, but nevertheless, there is something recognizable in a black person's voice that I can hear almost all the time.  

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Athias
I'm interested to know how hispanics sound. How is it? 😆
Elliott
Elliott
I think it is just accent, before I retired my boss was black, he grew up in the UK but his family came from Nigeria. He had a British accent and if you listened to him talk, say on the phone, you would have no idea as to his colour. 

Alternately there is this, a video of a white Jamaican gentleman talking.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@IlDiavolo
I'm interested to know how hispanics sound. How is it? 😆
I don't know how to put it into words. Just a distinct tone and perturbation to their voices that my experience allows me to detect. I obviously cannot speak to the voices of all so-called, "Hispanics," because I haven't met or heard every so-called, "Hispanic." Just the individuals whose voices I've had the experience of hearing.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Athias
@Sidewalker
@Sir.Lancelot
Out of curiosity, do you view races to have different psychological tendencies, than one another?

I don't disagree with the conclusion that geographic longstanding groups of people have various tendencies myself.
. . .

But I suppose the question comes to mind, because any differences are often unspoken,
Same reason one disagrees with profiling in police stops I imagine,
Hispanic in Texas 'would be more likely to be an illegal immigrant I'd 'think,
But probability not a decent stop reason, for a reason I forget, (I'm rambling)

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Lemming
Out of curiosity, do you view races to have different psychological tendencies, than one another?

I don't disagree with the conclusion that geographic longstanding groups of people have various tendencies myself.
. . .

But I suppose the question comes to mind, because any differences are often unspoken,
Same reason one disagrees with profiling in police stops I imagine,
Hispanic in Texas 'would be more likely to be an illegal immigrant I'd 'think,
But probability not a decent stop reason, for a reason I forget, (I'm rambling)
Yes. But if these psychological differences are because of genetics, there is currently a lack of research and evidence for it.

Psychological differences are generally caused by cultural beliefs, ethics, and morals, as well as religion. Sometimes, education and status plays a role. So does the environment. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
It 'would be difficult to test psychology I'd think,
As I agree with you, on what a large role factors other than genetics, can play.
Also criteria of what was being tested.

I 'imagine, that geographic populations behaviors, often vary widely throughout their histories,
As in even 'one geographic population, I mean, varies throughout it's history,
Based on it's environment,
Society, technology, weather, competition, wildlife, other, all being environment.

@Self
Reasonable test?
Though one might argue if they were carefully tested every generation, better data could be had on locations,
Still, maybe would need 'all geographic populations to use the same test, for their data to be good to compare?

. . .
Unreasonable test,
Random remove half population, every generation,
Separate on geographic population,
Place in similar starting environments,
Of which there would have to be multiple for each geographic population, (Criteria of what was being tested)
. . .