Is New Age movement displacing Chritianity or...?

Author: IlDiavolo

Total: 92
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
Firstable, I would like to remark I'm not a believer nor an atheist, but an agnostic, and as such I am open minded to any teaching that really makes sense. You all might understand then why I criticize christianity so fiercely, because it doesnt make sense at all nowadays. So, having that cleared up, let's get down to business.

According to the latest research, Christianity is severely on the decline as it is depicted in the following link.

On the other side, new age movement seems to be gaining more followers around the world thanks to the internet and of course to christian flaws and nonsense found in the bible. By the way, the new age movement is not a religion but a set of beliefs based on eastern religions like budhism or hinduism, which teach stuff like meditation, yoga, karma, reincarnation, and the like. If you check the following link, you'll see these beliefs are embraced by believers as well as non-believers, which is very telling.

As far as I'm concerned, these new age beliefs make more sense than christianity. In fact, I think some of these beliefs do make sense of christianity itself since it has been theorized that Jesus went to the middle east to learn about spirituality. So, what there is in the new testament -and perhaps the OT as well- is very likely a misinterpretation of what Jesus really taught to their disciples.

Then, I ask: Do you think christianity is going to be displaced by this movement or this movement is going to reshape christianity so it gets more sensical?
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Would you like to debate Christianity? 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Let's debate here.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
neither. its just gonna be what it is. And those who were never christians yet claimed to be one, will flock to it.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Melcharaz
You're ignoring blatantly the research I provided as prove. The reality shows us christian churches are increasingly being closed.

Give us an argument instead of complaining.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@IlDiavolo
@Melcharaz You're ignoring blatantly the research I provided as prove. The reality shows us christian churches are increasingly being closed.

Christians will keep ignoring the evidence no matter how strong or reliable and factual it is.

See my thread - Christianity won't be # 1 much longer.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@IlDiavolo
Technology is the way forwards in all aspects of social and material evolution.

We're in a transitional phase, between human Intelligence and alternative intelligence.....Probably always were.

1. Still thrashing about searching our imaginations for the unknowable answer.

2. Occasionally sitting down and going ohmmmmmmmm, hoping that the answer will effortlessly appear.

3. In between times, continuously glued to our personal devices looking for something to distract us from the effort of existence.

4. Eat, drink, s**t, p*ss, alleviate procreational urges, roll over go to sleep and dream. Until tomorrow.

5. Death......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Solution found.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Would you like to debate Christianity? 
ME...ME...PICK ME!!!
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Decline of Christianity = rise of sodomy and other evils
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Stephen
Christians will keep ignoring the evidence no matter how strong or reliable and factual it is.

See my thread - Christianity won't be # 1 much longer.
Thankfully, you’re not an expert on Christianity or Theology which means I would destroy you in any discussion. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Best.Korea
Christianity has been declining since a long time ago and I don't see yet any sodomy or evil around, at least not in advanced and not so advanced societies of the western world.

In fact, I can tell you we're living the most peaceful times ever, even now that we're in the verge of a nuclear war.

What it's true, though, is that there is more depression and anxiety among people in advanced societies where religiousity is low and atheism/agnosticism is high. That's why I put this subject up for discussion. I consider the new age movement as an ideal replacement for christianity. Religions are supposed to fulfill certain needs of people, especially concerning meaning of life, but Christianity is not suitable anymore for this society in which knowledge has surpassed the superstitions that build up christianity.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Thankfully, you’re not an expert on Christianity or Theology which means I would destroy you in any discussion.

Yep. Lucky ole' me, eh.😊
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
Christianity has been declining since a long time ago and I don't see yet any sodomy or evil around
Thats because you dont see homosexuality and mass abortions and rape.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Can't read. 
Can't write.
But i can drive a tractor alright. 

I would totally destroy you and Stephen in operating farming machinery.

No but. 
Imagine a church being closed..  

What do you think the top 2 reasons why a church would shut down. ?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
What do you think the top 2 reasons why a church would shut down. ?

Because the educated masses can read and write and think for themselves and able to question and use logic now, Deb.

We are no longer  illiterate or superstitious as those  in Palestine of the 1st century
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@IlDiavolo

IlDiavolo,

YOUR WISHY-WASHY QUOTE: "Firstable, I would like to remark I'm not a believer nor an atheist, but an agnostic, ..."

You are an embarrassing AGNOSTIC in the 21st century? Are you kidding? LOL!

Deduced to its irreducible primary, the only position that an Agnostic has, is that they don't have one! Therefore, they embarrassingly become "fence sitters" or "coin flippers" in no matter what "version" of said agnosticism they follow in relation to the current religions of today.

Case in point, mention a "Leprechaun" to a fence sitter Agnostic, and there lies the major flaw in the agnostic's belief, whereas, they cannot be truly certain if a "Leprechaun" exists or not, where this subjectively demonstrates that their agnostic pretensions are an embarrassing farce!

A familiar adage is that Agnostics are just Atheists without balls!

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Best.Korea

Well it wouldn't be hard to believe that Western world is being intentionally turned into the biblical Sodom and Gomorrah. The Western world as a whole is being dismantled not just from without but from within and with the assistance of our own governments.

Even the churches are breaking and changing the "laws of god" to accommodate the destruction of Western society, imo.

The age of the fish has gone. And they know it.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Best.Korea
Thats because you dont see homosexuality and mass abortions and rape.
See, you have no clue about it. Homosexuality was intense in ancient Greece, for example.  Raping was quite the norm in the past. As to the abortion, it was quite rare since in the past it was desireble to have more children to work the field. Abortion is a modern issue because of the overpopulation.

So, I really don't know what you're talking about. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
See, you have no clue about it. Homosexuality was intense in ancient Greece, for example.
I dont know why do you feel the need to embarrass yourself like this. Ancient Greece wasnt Christian. 

Raping was quite the norm in the past.
Wrong. Raping is norm today where 1 in 6 women are raped. Many more commit adultery, which is also a crime.

Abortion is a modern issue because of the overpopulation.
Well, finally you have come to your senses and admitted that its an issue to kill 1 billion children. Also, the overpopulation doesnt exist. There can be plenty more people on Earth. What exists is excessive wealth of an individual. People have turned evil. God punishes them for it in this world and the next. If you cant afford kids, dont have sex and dont spill your seed. Most people who say they cant afford kids are liars. They have the money and the food. They dont want kids. They want to have more time to commit more crimes against the Lord.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
-->
@IlDiavolo
that is the reality, those who never were of God, will leave God.
just like those who were of satan, will always leave God.

this is an established precept known throughout thousands of years, there is nothing new under the sun. just a different name from what history may tell us.

no, i dont ignore the research the pew has done, i simply was not needful of it to know this 1 truth: Everything that can be shaken, will be shaken. proving where humanities faith and heart dwells.
i dont complain, im not even discouraged, almost 2000 years ago God told the church that there MUST be heresies and that now is the time of FALLING AWAY.
rather, im looking forward to Christs soon coming.
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@IlDiavolo
To your original post:

I believe Christianity, as most know it, will turn ecumenical.  Meaning, they will absorb one another and gel into one.  This will happen with all the major religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.  Like you said, it has already been done with the eastern religions.

There will be always be a fringe "hard-nose" groups, but I think as a whole, the world will meld into a one world religion.

As for why, Best Korea is on the right track.  Look at the immorality of human kind.  Nobody wants to be told what to do and that they are wrong.  It makes it easier to soothe the conscience if there is no line set except for the easiest one to step over.  So lower the bar for everything that way all kinds of terrible things can be considered acceptable and nobody has to bother with conflict.  

Every religion will lose its identity to gain the acceptance of others.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@IlDiavolo

The  "FALLING AWAY," that Melcharaz refers to above #20 -  happened before and during Jesus' life time. It was nothing to do with future Christians.

Jews had been under Greek rule and Roman rule for centuries before Jesus came on the scene. The "falling away" was not Christians falling away from Christianity or the Christ.  It was the Jews falling away from the belief in Yahweh and in favour of Greek gods. They were under Greek rule for some 4-5 hundred years. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
A familiar adage is that Agnostics are just Atheists without balls!
You can't be more wrong. At least you should have read the articles I posted so not to embarass yourself. The article says agnostics are open to "new age" beliefs, as I am, while atheists aren't. I think the difference is clear, atheists are so insanely reluctant to new viewpoints  that they are considered a religion by itself.

We the agnostics are not obtuse like atheists, we are just cautious about new information.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@IlDiavolo
Can you politely request BrotherD accept my challenge? 
Be friendly, I don’t want you to scare him away. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Hey.

Is that you and your favourite Cock.

I can't read.

And I can't write.

But that don't really matter,

Cus I lives in Worcestershire.

And I can drive a tractor.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Stephen
@Melcharaz
I think the problem of Melcharaz and all the christian zealots is that they utterly disregard the history of christianity and humanity. Just let's see what he says here:

this is an established precept known throughout thousands of years, there is nothing new under the sun. just a different name from what history may tell us.
Melcharaz ignores that religion evolves as human beings do. We are in an ongoing adaptation to our context so we can't pretend everything should keep immutable as though it were a scientific fact.

Do you know, Melcharaz, that early christians believed in reincarnation? You don't, do ya? Lol.

The Romans took christianity as their official religion not because they were inspired by God, but because they want stability for the Empire. And along the way, the first emperors and popes made some changes to the original scripture, getting rid of some unsuable books so to have a suitable religion for their needs. There have been a lot of changes, so you can't say it was the same as in the past.

Christianity should either evolve as it did once upon a time or die being displaced by other beliefs.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
@Sir.Lancelot
Can you politely request BrotherD accept my challenge? 
Be friendly, I don’t want you to scare him away. 
I don't get it. What is the difference between this forum and the debate board? I think you can debate hands down here.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@IlDiavolo
I think the problem of Melcharaz and all the christian zealots is that they utterly disregard the history of christianity and humanity. Just let's see what he[ Melcharaz] says here:

this is an established precept known throughout thousands of years, there is nothing new under the sun. just a different name from what history may tell us.

If he knew what he was talking about I may agree with him.  With that said;
He's never heard of Gondwanaland, I take.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@DavidAZ
As for why, Best Korea is on the right track.  Look at the immorality of human kind.  Nobody wants to be told what to do and that they are wrong.  It makes it easier to soothe the conscience if there is no line set except for the easiest one to step over.  So lower the bar for everything that way all kinds of terrible things can be considered acceptable and nobody has to bother with conflict.  
Afraid I've got to dissent.

I would like to know what you mean with inmorality. Is it homosexuality what you refer to as inmoral?

There's always been depravation in the world, but according to the experts, western society is pretty much safe compared to other times and that is what counts, which doesn't mean there is no more to do because half the world is still in a state of savagery. If there are people doing "inmoral" things behind closed doors, it's none of our business as long as they don't hurt other people.

What we should worry about, as I said, is people's mental health. It's well known religions have a deep influence in people's wellbeing. So, as christianity is on the decline, we will see a decrease in the number of happy people. That's why I think "new age" beliefs could help fill the void christianity is leaving.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
I can't read.

And I can't write.

But that don't really matter,
I lives in Worcestershire.

And I can drive a tractor.

😊
Never driven one myself, Vic.lad. Too much scrumpy.