Is New Age movement displacing Chritianity or...?

Author: IlDiavolo

Total: 92
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@IlDiavolo
I would like to know what you mean with inmorality. Is it homosexuality what you refer to as inmoral?
Yes and many other things that are considered immoral.  Many vices that is against the biblical view.

There's always been depravation in the world, but according to the experts, western society is pretty much safe compared to other times and that is what counts, which doesn't mean there is no more to do because half the world is still in a state of savagery. If there are people doing "inmoral" things behind closed doors, it's none of our business as long as they don't hurt other people
My point is the Christian system is moving from it's doctrinal tenants because the American people are moving away from them. But since they still think they can believe in God and not do what the Bible says, then they have to change their tenants.  Therefore, more and more churches are allowing homosexuals, adultery, fornication, drunkenness, smoking, drug use, promiscuity, etc in the congregations.  They lower the bar because they don't want God or the bible but still want the "Christian" image.  You will see ecumenical churches more and more and a huge rift between hard-noses and the ecumenical movement.  There will soon be no "in between".

What we should worry about, as I said, is people's mental health. It's well known religions have a deep influence in people's wellbeing. So, as christianity is on the decline, we will see a decrease in the number of happy people. That's why I think "new age" beliefs could help fill the void christianity is leaving.
I would disagree on this point above.  People's happiness can be increased through the obedience of God's word.  God created humankind and gave us a manual (the bible).  If we follow the directions, things should work.  The problem is that people are not following the directions.  Just like a car, you can't put oil in the gas tank and then wonder why it doesn't run.  Since the Newage beliefs are not the biblical ones (not all, but many), then mankind still will have a deeper form of depression than if they followed biblical principles.  

I will agree, however, that atheism is the bane to any society and that any society that has a religion closer to biblical concepts, the better off they are. 
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
-->
@DavidAZ
Yes and many other things that are considered immoral.  Many vices that is against the biblical view.
Lol. You should have started saying you're religious. I won't waste my time trying to convince you otherwise.

My point is the Christian system is moving from it's doctrinal tenants because the American people are moving away from them. But since they still think they can believe in God and not do what the Bible says, then they have to change their tenants.  Therefore, more and more churches are allowing homosexuals, adultery, fornication, drunkenness, smoking, drug use, promiscuity, etc in the congregations.  They lower the bar because they don't want God or the bible but still want the "Christian" image.  You will see ecumenical churches more and more and a huge rift between hard-noses and the ecumenical movement.  There will soon be no "in between".
Which proves christianity is not suitable to our times any longer. If you see it as the civilized and educated person you're supossed to be, there is no way to believe in a book that is outdated for our standards.

Stuff like "if you don't obey you'll burn in hell", or "Jesus was conceived by an invisible being" is ridiculous to say the least. It reminds me of the communist system in which the communist party is the "God" and the people are the "believers" that should obey the communist guidelines so to have a good live, otherwise they get punished. I've got to check where I read this comparative between the narratives used in christianity and communism, they are quite similar. While communism offers "social justice", christianity offers "love, compassion, and sacrifice" which appeals the ignorant masses. Unfortunately people are moved by narratives and emotions, not logic, so christianity nailed it in this way.

would disagree on this point above.  People's happiness can be increased through the obedience of God's word.  God created humankind and gave us a manual (the bible).  If we follow the directions, things should work.  The problem is that people are not following the directions.  Just like a car, you can't put oil in the gas tank and then wonder why it doesn't run.  Since the Newage beliefs are not the biblical ones (not all, but many), then mankind still will have a deeper form of depression than if they followed biblical principles.   
I'm going to ignore what I highlighted because it's just the nonsense I was referring to before.

As I said, the christian narrative doesn't work anymore. Maybe for some people, but not for most of us.

I think new age beliefs are meant to be experienced rather than be just followed. And it doesn't resort to emotions but logic, that is why I believe it's suitable for our times.

"New age" believers practice meditation and they stick to it because it works, and by doing so they are better persons because meditation demands a healthy physical life, meaning no drugs, no alcohol, no bad eating habits, and so on. But even better, as they believe we're all one God, they help other people. So I don't see any bad in "new age" movement.
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@IlDiavolo
Me being religious has nothing to do with the fact that Americans are getting more depressed because they are straying from Biblical values, as you have stated.  I'm not sure why my religion is an issue.  Enlighten me.

Newage doesn't cover the main problem of humankind, and that is sin or the fall of mankind.  They just change the definitions of sin or lower the bar.  My prediction will be that people will still be depressed because they have not dealt with the inner man.

When you say the Christian narrative doesn't work anymore, what do you mean?  You stated that America was happier when they espoused to those beliefs. Why not go back to what made them happy instead of introducing something new?  Not broke, don't fix it kind of thing.

To say that Newage is based on logic is "lol-able" because ALL humans base their decisions on emotion.  NOBODY is completely logical.  I understand that Newage may "work" for some and not others, but it is only working because it will mirror biblical principles.

AND this still has nothing to do with my main point, Christian churches are failing because the people don't want God.  The people want someone to pat them on the back and tell them there is nothing wrong with them.  Again, it will all meld into one big happy religious cake for everyone to eat.  Yay!

Best.Korea
Debates: 272
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
"New age" believers practice meditation
Which is better: prayer or meditation?

I would say prayer is better. Meditation just tries to copy the prayer, but removes God from it.

Without God you have nothing. You cannot be happy unless following God's law.

When I eat the food, I thank God for that food.
Before I fall asleep, I pray.
When I read the Bible, I pray.

I pray every day for simple things, but never for money or power.
I dont want more money. I despise the money.
I dont want power. Power belongs to God.

God has given me a good life that is worth living. In the past I have practiced meditation. It doesnt work. Prayer is much better, much easier and much more suitable for every situation I am in.
sadolite
sadolite
What is a "New age movement"  Is it something like every generation that ever lived was stupid until this generation was born kinda thing?

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@IlDiavolo
Firstable, I would like to remark I'm not a believer nor an atheist, but an agnostic, and as such I am open minded to any teaching that really makes sense. You all might understand then why I criticize christianity so fiercely, because it doesnt make sense at all nowadays. So, having that cleared up, let's get down to business.
It doesn't make sense to you. Ok. It makes a lot of sense to a lot of people.  So thanks for clearing that up. 

According to the latest research, Christianity is severely on the decline as it is depicted in the following link.

If you are talking about the West, ok. If you are talking about Christianity globally, you are incorrect. Globally, Christianity is still increasing exponentially, in China, In Asia, In Africa and in South America.  True, Europe is declining but so is pretty much everything as they die out. Even the Muslims are taking a hit in Europe. In the West it is declining, but I think there is another side to this.  As the West becomes more secular, those who were nominally religious are becoming more consistent. Those who are serious have become more committed.   For me this is a purifying situation and a necessary thing.  Mind you, I also hold to the view that we are in a pre-Christian age, not a post Christian age.  

On the other side, new age movement seems to be gaining more followers around the world thanks to the internet and of course to christian flaws and nonsense found in the bible. By the way, the new age movement is not a religion but a set of beliefs based on eastern religions like budhism or hinduism, which teach stuff like meditation, yoga, karma, reincarnation, and the like. If you check the following link, you'll see these beliefs are embraced by believers as well as non-believers, which is very telling.
This is not particularly earth shattering.  As the West becomes more and more multi-cultural, it is quite logical that the number of people bringing Eastern religions to the West will increase.  The New Age movement as a movement was probably stronger 20 years ago and had a more unique identity. Today, the mixture of Eastern and  African religions and people in the West have become a vocal force and as such combined with our Western ideas of tolerance it is inevitable that such things become more and more prevalent.  

As far as I'm concerned, these new age beliefs make more sense than christianity. In fact, I think some of these beliefs do make sense of christianity itself since it has been theorized that Jesus went to the middle east to learn about spirituality. So, what there is in the new testament -and perhaps the OT as well- is very likely a misinterpretation of what Jesus really taught to their disciples.
How old are you? I suspect that is part of the generational thing for yourself. The New Age ideas have been circling our society for years. Check out the ideas presented in Hollywood, on Star Trek, Star Wars, the Marvel movies.   All very new age. Our secular schools teach these principles. They will make sense for those whose beliefs are educated as such.  

On the other hand, I find them intuitively going to send us into nuts land.  Take the whole idea of postmodernism,. that is new age. There is no truth - there are no absolutes. You can be anything you identify as - whether it's a fact or not.  That is the essence of it. relativism. no truth but subjective truth. That's why Christianity is at odds with much of the West now. Christianity still teaches ABSOLUTE truth. That is almost considered an anathema. 

Then, I ask: Do you think christianity is going to be displaced by this movement or this movement is going to reshape christianity so it gets more sensical?
Christianity will continue to decline in the West. But then again, so will the West. It will destruct as it moves away from the truth of the Scriptures.  New age and secularism will probably overtake Christianity as the predominant religion for a while.  That is highly likely.  Yet, the current trajectory of our philosophy will head us towards war and self -destruction.  We will implode. Im not suggesting in the next five minutes. But then those who are left behind will have to think about how to rebuild. And that will be either towards more of the same or back towards Christianity.  Probably the West will split into two polarising places - even as they already are starting to do now.  

but only one side will have truth. The other side can't have truth - since it doesn't actually believe in it.  history will be unkind with this generation - and it has been with other generations who have forsaken the truth.  

but hey that's just my subjective opinion.  As valid as anyone else.  Hey. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
A couple of years ago when covid kept people from going to church. 
There would of been a few months there when next to no one went to a church. ( worldwide ) 
In mass numbers. 

What i am trying to say is.

Nobody going to church for months.  
Felt exactly like
Every body going to church.

I mean.
There was no difference. 
It was Just normal.

Sooooooo
Perhaps God doesn't need us to meet up at the clubhouse. 
Or now get this . 
Perhaps you can do what you do at church in like a bookstore or a Macdonalds. 
By yourself. 

There were so many people's not attending churches , that god might not of even heard you guys collectively  singing to him.
Anddddddd ,  life still went on exactly like when you guys all sing to him. 

Again its only a maybe. 
Butttt.
Maybe gods ok with you guys not singing to him.  (  its just a thought ) 

I bet if not one single person attended church ever again .  
Life would stilll ummm, roll the same as if  everyone was still showing up at church. 

It would be a great experiment for you theists to do. 
If you could alllllll stop dealing with god for like a month. 
See what happens.  

I've a feeling it wouldn't change a single thing. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Actually 
But if you guys don't go to church.
You won't give the jesus god his weekly allowance.
Church is a great place to collect jesus's weekly allowance.  
Orrrrr
Perhaps jesus doesn't need cash. 
Ha, 
Ha,Ha
He, He, He. 

Just kidding guys, 
jesus needs that money you lot give to him.
And i bet he really appreciates it. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
The other day When i seen that picture again for the first time in 5 or so years. 
I see it and straight away.   I thought, 

Who cum first?  
The chicken or the kid. 

To wich the answer you'd think is  ( the kid ) because he is having a smoke. 

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Hi Deb,

when covid struck - it happened in different ways in different parts of the world. 

In Africa people still went to church. As they did in many others parts of the world. Obviously, many people broke the law anyway - which is why they ended up in court and some even in prison.  

We met when we could. We used to zoom and have other videos. We even had live streams.  And people contributed electronically. In fact - we didn't get a drop in giving, the giving went up during covid. And this was reported in lots of places. 

Our numbers since covid has finished -are up.  Plus we have lots still continuing online. 

I think covid was a hard time for churches - but it didn't make us weaker. It made us stronger.  Many of us had to think through some of the significant issues of separation of church and state.  And of what is the church? And what does it look like? 

Remember too, that even in the days of Martin Luther in the 1500s. When there was a pandemic - they shut the churches down then too.  It's not like it is unique. 

Still, thanks for your concern.  

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Tradesecret
Nice post. 

buttttttt. 
It is worthy of taking into consideration tho, 

That being the very very low attendance rate.  Into "life"  going " the same ".

Trade . 
A total hypo

If no one attended a church service ever again. 
Do you think  , " life " would " run " the same for ( everyone apart from the christians  )     as it does when millions attend .?

Would life be " normal going " for christians.
Apart from church related activities aspect of it. 
Within reason.  ?

We won't ever witness god reacting negatively or positively to anything we humans  ever do in life hey ? 

A couple of thousand years ago,  god use to mess with us humans for the crap we did that he didn't " approve of . 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Imagine a teenager these days having questions or issues with something in life,
Would they?

(  A  )     Go to Dads top drawer and grab the good old  (  HOLY BIBLE  ) out for options and  answers

Or perhaps. 

(  B  )     a (  NAM. )  some new age movment.    Maybe  With like a Steampunk feel to it.  

Orrŕrrrrr

(  C  )      (  Google it  )

Correct...
In google we trust. 

○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•▪○●°•

Oh fuck no.

HOWEVER. 
The correct answer to the above would be.
Not A
Not B
Nor C 

If a teenager has any problems or issues  in life , 
They should.   
(  D  )  Talk to their parents.  

Andddddd. Truth be told  I think the bible may "point "  " allude "  to this. 
You know. ( love your parents  )  scriptures. 

I'm just gonna shut up now. 

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Tradesecret
If you are talking about the West, ok. If you are talking about Christianity globally, you are incorrect. Globally, Christianity is still increasing exponentially, in China, In Asia, In Africa and in South America.  True, Europe is declining but so is pretty much everything as they die out. Even the Muslims are taking a hit in Europe. In the West it is declining, but I think there is another side to this.  As the West becomes more secular, those who were nominally religious are becoming more consistent. Those who are serious have become more committed.   For me this is a purifying situation and a necessary thing.  Mind you, I also hold to the view that we are in a pre-Christian age, not a post Christian age.  
Yeah, christianity is growing in some undeveloped countries like the Africans, I don't see the merit to be honest.

On the other hand, I find them intuitively going to send us into nuts land.  Take the whole idea of postmodernism,. that is new age. There is no truth - there are no absolutes. You can be anything you identify as - whether it's a fact or not.  That is the essence of it. relativism. no truth but subjective truth. That's why Christianity is at odds with much of the West now. Christianity still teaches ABSOLUTE truth. That is almost considered an anathema. 
What are you talking about? new age movement doesn't pretend anything since it is just a collection of eastern beliefs that aim to improve people's lives. I would put it as a practical guideline that revolves around meditation, it has nothing to do with postmodernism or any shit like that.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@DavidAZ
When you say the Christian narrative doesn't work anymore, what do you mean?  You stated that America was happier when they espoused to those beliefs. Why not go back to what made them happy instead of introducing something new?  Not broke, don't fix it kind of thing.
The only possible way for people to come back to chrsitianity is that you introduce the Holy Inquisition in the US, like in the middle ages. Lol.

The narrative that I was talking about could be seen in the movie of Mel Gibson. It's really powerful, I think Gibson did a favour to christianity showing Jesus as a dude that sacrifice himself to save people from their sins.

To say that Newage is based on logic is "lol-able" because ALL humans base their decisions on emotion.  NOBODY is completely logical.  I understand that Newage may "work" for some and not others, but it is only working because it will mirror biblical principles.
This is a serious problem that we should deal with not only in relgions but in politics. That explains why there are several sects around the world that makes money at the expense of uneducated people. All in all, I would agree that new age is just for educated and reasonable people.

AND this still has nothing to do with my main point, Christian churches are failing because the people don't want God.  The people want someone to pat them on the back and tell them there is nothing wrong with them.  Again, it will all meld into one big happy religious cake for everyone to eat.  Yay!
Don't take it as a threat. The new age movement just tries to make sense of christianity. You can be christian and practice the new age principles at the same time. I understand you want to stand for your faith, but we have to be prepared for changes because things change over time and we have to accept it.

For example, that story of Jesus in the desert, it's ridiculous because snakes don't speak. But with new age beliefs, you understand that the devil is not a being by itself but part of our nature, something that in psychology is called "the ego". It is well known that the ego comes out any time we're in pain or need. Because of the ego we can even kill people that bother us, but for religions it's the devil that tempt us to do bad things. We do that because we don't want to recognize our evil nature, so we project our evil outwards -it's called psychology projection-, that's how the devil appears. So, going back to the story, Jesus wasn't talking with "a devil" but with himself. He was in pain because he didn't eat for days, so the ego started to show up. Jesus questioned himself why he was fastening. It's not that an evil spirit came down to Jesus to offer him all the wealth, what really happened is that Jesus knew he was capable to get all what he wants and started to think it was not necessary to go through pain, because the ego doesn't like the pain. Now, the story makes sense. You see?
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Best.Korea
Which is better: prayer or meditation?

If for you praying works better than meditation, keep going. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
As soon as the numbers of christians drops one less then the Muslims.
You can mark us atheists down as Christians. 
You guys can call us whatever ya want.    We'll play along. 

But just note . 
we will be christians that don't believe in Gods and do nothing 100% according to (one) group of Christians.
although some may i mean might.    
Thats all. 

This is to be implemented only and  as soon as 1 more Muslim then christian exists 

YOU ARE WELCOME.. 

My dog has been a Christian  for over 4 years now. 
How you say? 

Cause i fucking said it. 
Bom.  me dogs a Christian.  

Then as soon as you guys have finished counting us atheists as Christians. 
Let us know so we can go back to being atheists.  
Real fucking sneaky like. 

Again 
U R Welcome.  

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
I was brought up on tractors.

In Worcestershire.

Left for Wales though.

As you know.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Well, the Cock.

Because he's sexually mature in less than a year.

You did mean "cum"?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
In Worcestershire.

I am still here in Worcestershire.

Left for Wales though.

One set of rolling hills and valley's for another, then.  I am half welsh myself. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
As soon as the numbers of christians drops one less then the Muslims.
You can mark us atheists down as Christians. 
You have a point there, Deb. But I think more will cave in to Islam than admit that they are Christian.

Then as soon as you guys have finished counting us atheists as Christians. 
Let us know so we can go back to being atheists.  
Real fucking sneaky like. 
Well Muslims are allowed tell lies as long as it to further the cause of Islam and save their bacon- sorry I mean skin.. It called Taqiyya

"In Islam, Taqiya or Taqiyya (Arabic: تقیة taqīyah, literally "prudence, fear") is a precautionary dissimulation or denial of religious belief and practice".

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
No I was being vulgar zed. 
You know how people smoke after sex. 

It was just a split second thing that come into my mind when i saw it the other day. 

Ive put ya address in my tractors ( nave navaga ) fuckkk.
Nav a gator  You know the fuck8ng word I'm trying to say. 

And im heading over. 
Rabbit speed.  

Orrrr
Maybe i should tell you i coming over your house separate from telling about kids have sex with chickens.
Yeah thats what ill do.  
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
a NAM.
A new age movment. 

One has to assume that males and females are lets say ummmm. 
Equal.

That ain't gonna work is it. ? 

No but. 
Imagine one of these NAM's that has men being treated like female Muslims. And females rule the roost 
I'm not saying id join buttttttt.  
I'd stop in for a look.  
Imagine if the females spit on the males as they entered the " church " 
That would be like sooooo gross.  
mmmmmmmmm.  

I forgot where i was going with that now. 
I think just had a NAM.  

Continue.  

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
-->
@IlDiavolo
its the same as it was the past.
you seem to think the concept of following christ changed just because billions do it wrong or attempted to subvert or destroy it.

i hold to the pure doctrine, that is. What my father in heaven tells me and speaks through me.

of course there were other writtings that were God breathed or inspired, but their loss or corruption of text via translation, doesnt negate or disprove what the living God says.

of all the thousands of documents that have lasted longer than 1500 years, the bible has been the most tested, tried, written, rewritten, translated, translated x3 or more times, and yet still retains an uncorrupted text. Of course thousands of years will wear away documents, but when compared with contemporaries or a different translation, the message isnt lost.

tldr, you only proved my point that nothing changes and that there is nothing new under the sun. God's word still remains.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I'm looking out for you Deb.

The kettles on.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
Unfortunately you being from wales and me being aussie.
We will need an interpreter. 

I cant speak Wales.  

I will be like. 
Say again.

Say again

Once more.

Slower. 

And boooooom goes the dynamite. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
' crouched behind a tuft of grass ' 
In wait for a racial insult. 

It will be something like. 
In the dream time , the rainbow serpent. 

Or 

You do kangaroos deb. 

Wait for it. 

Best.Korea
Debates: 272
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
The only possible way for people to come back to chrsitianity is that you introduce the Holy Inquisition in the US
After their society fails, people will come back to Christianity or they will perish. Simple enough.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Melcharaz
You can believe whatever you want, dude. I suggest you to turn back and go on with your life.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I've been trying to think why a church would shut down. 
I'll get back to this after.m

☆♤♡◇☆♤♡◇♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧

Picture if you will,
A religious group the same as yours.  
Two suburbs away. 

Would it run , teach and preach  EXACTLY  the same as yours ?  ( within reason ) 
I reckon they would be worlds apart. 

Now Picture the services  available at your church that you are unaware of. 
To name just a few. .  

Saturday pre-dawn group sex. 
Exorcisms sundays 1 am 
Rape and torture classes once a month at a time TBA . 
Freaky fucked up fridays 2pm 
Animal sacrificing Saturday 8 pm. 
Kid kicking from noon 
The First Monday of the month murders and mayhem 
Saturday night Circle jerking. 
Fuck my wife mondays at 9pm 
Pee.on me weekly. (Time yet TBA ) 

( i could go on ) 
But. 

Are you fully aware of the depravity that happens in your church? 

Orrrrrrrrr.

Your church doesn't do and or offer stuff like that. 

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
-->
@IlDiavolo
my life has never been happier or more fulfilling since i gave it to Jesus Christ. i have no fear or worry or doubt and if i ever should, i know he hears me when i cry.

he loves without reservation and he never changes. giving more grace and mercy than any creature deserves.

my life continues onward. the thing about God is that he isnt an escape from reality, he is a help in reality, a strong tower, a comforter, a friend, a wise advisor and a lover of my soul no matter how much good or evil i do.
i do good because i want to be like him and make him happy. eternity is not far from any of us.