Any religion that says God is good is fundamentally corrupt.

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 32
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Double_R
I find it untenable to think that God is pure evil.   the reason for this - is there is too much good in the world. 

This leaves only a holy God that intends for things to pass for his own holy will.
False dichotomy. Evil as a sumation of one's character is a spectrum. There is no other instance where we would cast aside atrocities and reject that someone is evil because we can show one good thing they have done.
Sorry, you misunderstand. But happy to correct you. 

Firstly, the options above are part of the function of possibilities, not just thrown randomly onto the page which is what your response implies. 

Secondly, it is your assertion that evil as part of a character is on a spectrum.  Perhaps you ought to prove your assertion rather than simply whine about "false dichotomies". 

Thirdly, you are putting man-made qualities onto a divine person. Nowhere else do we have omniscience or omnipresence or omnipotence? The divine and the human do have similarities - but they also have their differences.  

Besides, in my statement above -  I never said - one good thing. I said, "There is too much good".  And moreover, it has not been established that God whatever he is - has done any atrocity.  We reject the good of a pedophile on the basis of his offence against children. But only after it has been proven.  It is quite a different thing to say that an all-knowing, all-powerful all holy God has committed any evil - and then to condemn such good to the rubbish bin.  

As I have said on numerous occasions, a judge orders a sentence on a convicted criminal and this is just. The criminal and his family might disagree and call it evil. Yet that is a subjective position. Not an objective one.  If the sentence is within the laws of the land and the judge's discretion then it is objectively just and not evil. 

In my opinion, the same applies to God as the judge of the universe. He sentences and judges all. Both the wicked and the good. And so far as he does so within the rules of his character, then it is just, no matter what the subjective position of those who have been sentenced feel, or those watching.  The difference between God and the earthly judge however is also valid. In our courts and legal systems, we are accountable to the laws. No one including the judge is above the law. Yet God is above the law. For the law flows from his character.  Hence, it is an absurdity in philosophical terms to call him unjust. 

It is only reasonable to call God unjust or wicked if God is subject to the law.  And that only makes sense if someone can hold him to account.   How does someone hold God to account? It's an impossibility. It's an absurdity.  

My point is simple really.  You don't have to believe in God. Totally your choice. Yet the God the Bible describes cannot be characterised as evil or wicked by a reasonable person, since to do so, ipso facto, has to deny what the bible says about its God in order to then subscribe other parts of the bible to God. It's nonsense. 

The rational thing would be to say - the God of the Bible is a myth and leave it at that.  But once you start arguing the case, you have to deal with the dilemma of the God who is above the law - as opposed to one who is beneath the law.  
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Tradesecret
it is your assertion that evil as part of a character is on a spectrum.  Perhaps you ought to prove your assertion rather than simply whine about "false dichotomies". 
It doesn't need to be proven, it is basic common sense. No reasonable person would claim everyone on earth is either purely good or purely evil.

you are putting man-made qualities onto a divine person. Nowhere else do we have omniscience or omnipresence or omnipotence? The divine and the human do have similarities - but they also have their differences.
None of the qualities you listed are tied to the concepts of good and/or evil, so this is irrelevant.

In my opinion, the same applies to God as the judge of the universe. He sentences and judges all. Both the wicked and the good. And so far as he does so within the rules of his character, then it is just, no matter what the subjective position of those who have been sentenced feel, or those watching.
If you begin by defining goodness as "that which aligns with God's character" then of course it would be absurd to claim God is anything but good. But at that point you're not advancing an argument, you're just citing a tautology which makes your point useless.

By the way, who exactly wrote the "rules of God's character"?