The transgenderism debate

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 673
Kaitlyn
Debates: 0
Kaitlyn
-->
@Greyparrot
If you watch enough MSNBC, such thoughts come with little effort.
Is MSNBC just a troll channel?

There's no way anyone serious writes this, "What a moron. You probably feel the same way about gay people. You know what is actually a product of mental illness, white supremacy," without trolling.

Even Fox and CNN don't outright troll people.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Kaitlyn
You should watch it. It's a nonstop troll network.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Greyparrot
You should watch it. It's a nonstop troll network.
Well, I've never thought much more of legacy media than an outlet for half-truths and lies, but if I changed my mind and decided to watch a news network, it sure as hell won't be the troll fiesta MSNBC sounds to be.

God damn.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@oromagi
You still ignore my arguments and my questions. 

• All of your bullshit is premised on the false notion that there is an ideology out there.  Since you now know for a fact that there is no such ideology, you now also know there's no point to makup up fake arguments against it.
Can someone who is not born with gender dysphoria, become transgender?

• WIKIPEDIA: Transgender is an umbrella term. In addition to trans men and trans women, it may also include people who are non-binary.  Other definitions of transgender also include people who belong to a third gender, or else conceptualize transgender people as a third gender, and the term may be defined very broadly to include cross-dressers.  Some two-spirit people may also identify as transgender.  
  • Gender dysphoria is the distress a person experiences due to a mismatch between their gender identity—their personal sense of their own gender—and their sex assigned at birth,
    • So- many people are born transgendered but nobody is born with dysphoria.
      • Many trans people don't decide they are trans until later in life.
      • Some trans people don't experience GD until later in life.
      • Some trans people don't experience GD at 
Ok, so according to you, Trans-people don't have to be born with Gender Dysphoria in order to be Transgender. Therefore Transgenderism is an ideology, and not something mentally based in any biological way or medical way. It is an idea, and not something someone is born with, and someone can be Transgender at any time anywhere for any reason. That my friend is called an ideology. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Kaitlyn
I think Grey Parrot has a thing for you. He’s always coming to your defense. He’s a creepy substitute teacher who has never kissed a girl and lives with his mother. He tries to hang out with teenagers by buying them alcohol.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Kaitlyn
There's no way anyone serious writes this, "What a moron. You probably feel the same way about gay people. You know what is actually a product of mental illness, white supremacy," without trolling.

It’s my job to let you know you’re a dummy. You can’t say stupid things and not expect people to push back. Go back under your rock where you belong with your stupid ideas.

Stupid ideas include white nationalism and calling transgender people mentally ill 

Do you think gay people are also mentally ill?
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Kaitlyn
Which study?
(3) Suicidal transgender people also typically don't cite bullying as a reason for their attempts at suicide A systematic review and meta-analysis of victimisation and mental health prevalence among LGBTQ+ young people with experiences of self-harm and suicide | PLOS ONE 

Incorrect.

You were the one who failed to respond to my defense of the source The transgenderism debate (debateart.com) (people can see that you never responded after that). 
Correct, I missed that. My apologies.

Dude, if you can't address the arguments I'm making, instead of saying 'too many source', just concede so we can be done with this.
Spamming studies is not an argument, especially when you don't even appear to be reading them. You also don't seem to understand that correlation is not causation. The studies you cite to make your point don't even agree with you.

You're claiming we should treat trans people as mentally ill and one of the studies you cite in support of this claim is the one concluding that trans people are more likely to bully others than to be bullied. But here is an excerpt taken from its conclusion:

Programs that promote gender diversity should be implemented in schools and in larger context in the society with the aim of reducing heteronormativity and promoting the acceptance of gender diversity.

If the people you are getting your information from conclude the opposite of what you're arguing you've got a pretty weak case.

The studies don't explicitly say what should be done. They are there to construct the necessary premises and arguments needed to reach my conclusion. None of them by themselves reach the conclusion that transgenderism is a mental illness.
And you don't find it odd that with all these professionals out there studying this stuff there is no serious movement within the medication community who agrees with you?

Much as we treat schizophrenics with dignity and respect, we should treat transgender people the same way, despite both of them having mental illnesses.
We don't treat schizophrenics with dignity and respect, we treat them like children incapable of making their own decisions. Dignity and compassion are not the same thing.

you've claimed that they're the most socially ostracized group. That was unsupported by any data.
It's supported by your own studies. We've been talking for days about how they get bullied more than any other group.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Kaitlyn
I care because it enables their delusion, of which is a product of mental illness. Yeah, it's scientifically backed. It's remarkable when the science agrees with your worldview.
Gender dysphoria is a term that describes a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity. This sense of unease or dissatisfaction may be so intense it can lead to depression and anxiety and have a harmful impact on daily life.

So, to mansplain this for you. Being transgender is not caused by mental illness. Being trans is not a sign that a person is mentally ill  The same can be said about being gay. Not all trans people suffer from Gender Dysphoria.

Gender dysphoria is a type of mental illness that can happen to transgender people. Do you understand the difference?

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@oromagi
The only arguments for this you can make, is either Transgenderism is a mental illness, or it's an ideology. You can't have it both ways. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

Ok, so according to you,
  • According to WIkipedia documenting the work of scientists.  
Trans-people don't have to be born with Gender Dysphoria in order to be Transgender. Therefore Transgenderism is an ideology, and not something mentally based in any biological way or medical way. It is an idea, and not something someone is born with, and someone can be Transgender at any time anywhere for any reason.
I see.  So you thnk that any IDEA is also an IDEOLOGY.  The mere notion that "I think I might be man trapped ina woman's body" counts as a "Doctrine, philosophy, body of beliefs or principles belonging to an individual or group."   Since I wasn't born a debater but only took up debating in the last years, you feel like you can impose an ideology of debaterism on me, ever though you are totally incapable of naming once principle debater hold in common.

Debaters don't have to be with Debatersim in order to be Debaters.  Therefore, Debaterism is an ideology and not something mentally based in any biological or medical way.  It is an idea and not something someone is born with and some one can be a Debater at any time anywhere for any reason.

If your logic is sound, than you should be able to give me three prominent examples of Debaters and explain three prinicples that alll Debaterists hold in common.

If you can't do this, your argument must fail since not all ideas are ideology.

That my friend is called an ideology. 
  • You, my friend, need a dictionary.

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
Ideas and Ideology 'do seem pretty similar to me,
Though, I 'do think a person can believe in an idea without being part of a group.

Of debaters.
Any three people who debated on this site, while following the below,
Though debating feels more an activity, than a lifestyle, to me maybe.

More than one person talking,
Some subject discussed,
Each person says something different.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@oromagi
I see.  So you thnk that any IDEA is also an IDEOLOGY.  The mere notion that "I think I might be man trapped ina woman's body" counts as a "Doctrine, philosophy, body of beliefs or principles belonging to an individual or group."   Since I wasn't born a debater but only took up debating in the last years, you feel like you can impose an ideology of debaterism on me, ever though you are totally incapable of naming once principle debater hold in common.

Debaters don't have to be with Debatersim in order to be Debaters.  Therefore, Debaterism is an ideology and not something mentally based in any biological or medical way.  It is an idea and not something someone is born with and some one can be a Debater at any time anywhere for any reason.

If your logic is sound, than you should be able to give me three prominent examples of Debaters and explain three prinicples that alll Debaterists hold in common.

If you can't do this, your argument must fail since not all ideas are ideology.

That my friend is called an ideology. 
  • You, my friend, need a dictionary.
Debating is a socially constructed activity. Transgenderism is not an activity, it's an identity, right?
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Transgenderism …, it's an identity, right?
Transgender is an umbrella term for persons whose gender identity, gender expression or behavior does not conform to that typically associated with the sex to which they were assigned at birth. Gender identity refers to a person’s internal sense of being male, female or something else; gender expression refers to the way a person communicates gender identity to others through behavior, clothing, hairstyles, voice or body characteristics.

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.

- from the American Psychological Association Website 

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
Transgender is an umbrella term for persons whose gender identity, gender expression or behavior does not conform to that typically associated with the sex to which they were assigned at birth. Gender identity refers to a person’s internal sense of being male, female or something else; gender expression refers to the way a person communicates gender identity to others through behavior, clothing, hairstyles, voice or body characteristics.

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.
So, it is an identity?
Like how you identify yourself as? 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
i·de·ol·o·gy
/ˌidēˈäləjē,ˌīdēˈäləjē/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.
    "the ideology of democracy"
identity
iden·ti·ty ī-ˈden-tə-tē  
plural identities

the distinguishing character or personality of an individual INDIVIDUALITY

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
So, it is an identity?
Like how you identify yourself as? 
Yes, but it seems you are conflating identity and ideology. Are you? 

It would be incorrect to say ones identity is their ideology 

The ideology of what constitutes a woman comes from society.

A male (their biological sex) can identify as a woman (their gender)

Examples of how society defines the gender of being a woman:

Primary caregiver 
Selfless
Compassionate
homemaker
loving
non violent 
nuturing
Supportive 
Warm
Passive
Gentle
Kind
Affectionate
tender

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I think Grey Parrot has a thing for you. He’s always coming to your defense. He’s a creepy substitute teacher who has never kissed a girl and lives with his mother. He tries to hang out with teenagers by buying them alcohol.
More unverified rubbish.

I'm not a teenager, btw.

Stupid ideas include white nationalism and calling transgender people mentally ill 
I could hardly disagree with your argument, given that you've provided the extensive data/evidence to irrefutably make this claim.

You really are a worthwhile contributor to this site. 

Do you think gay people are also mentally ill?
I'm not as well versed on homosexuality. I think transgender people are basically homosexuals with a mental illness, but I'm not sure whether homosexuality is a mental illness in itself.

I care because it enables their delusion, of which is a product of mental illness. Yeah, it's scientifically backed. It's remarkable when the science agrees with your worldview.
Gender dysphoria is a term that describes a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity. This sense of unease or dissatisfaction may be so intense it can lead to depression and anxiety and have a harmful impact on daily life.
I've already addressed this point with Double_R, but basically this unease (1) doesn't go away when physical surgery is undertaken (suicide rates remain above the normal population, and (2) transgender people do not have the brain of the opposite biological sex. Therefore, (C) this unease isn't supported by reality (suggesting that it's caused by something else). Here are the full arguments: 

Transgender surgeries do not remove the increased suicide chance

(1) You've claimed that we should support the gender expression of transgender people. Let's see what happens when we appease transgender people's wish to undergo genitalia altering surgeries. 
(2) Transitioners in San Francisco (a super-pro trans area) still had the elevated chance of suicide relative to the general population, despite the various surgeries 11524_2014_Article_9921.pdf (nih.gov)
(3) There is even a high quality study that found transitioning increased the risk of suicide Trans-GNC-Suicide-Attempts-Jan-2014.pdf (ucla.edu) . Similar studies found the increase in suicide as well Suicidal ideation and attempted suicide amongst Chinese transgender persons: National population study - PubMed (nih.gov) LGBT-2013-0048-ver9-Rood_3P 270..275 (nih.gov) 
(C) Therefore, the evidence suggests we should not support transgender people in getting surgeries related to their gender dysphoria 

Transgender people do not have brains of the opposite sex (i.e. transgender born a male = mostly male brain)

(1) Some pro-trans people will claim that transgender brains resemble the opposite biological sex (I don't think you made this claim, but it will make my case)
(2) A study found that while some regions of a transgender brain may resemble the opposite biological sex they were born into, the brain is mostly the same biological sex's A Review of the Status of Brain Structure Research in Transsexualism (nih.gov) Same result was found when brain imaging was used Structural, Functional, and Metabolic Brain Differences as a Function of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation: A Systematic Review of the Human Neuroimaging Literature (springer.com) 
(3) Both studies noted that transgender people's brains were basically always homosexual, hence the pockets of the brain that were the opposite biological sex
(C) Therefore, transgenderism is caused by things unrelated to the opposite gender nature of the brain

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Debating is a socially constructed activity. Transgenderism is not an activity, it's an identity, right?

• That's right.  And any socially constructed activity is far more likely to be ideological thanjust  being honest about who your are, right?
To prove your logic is sound, you must provide three examples of the well know ideology called Debaterism.  SInce we both know you can't you should admit that your reasoning is faulty.

I identify as brown-eyed for the purposes of drivers liscenses, etc although my eyes are really more of a gold flecked olive.  Maybe late in life, I'll decide that green is really a more accurate description of my eye color.  This don't not give you leave to invent an ideology called "green-eyedism" and start ascribing a bunch of qualities to that entirely fake thin you made up.  Yes, there are ideas involved but no idelogy.  The only prinicple at stake is trying to match a complex answer to a society that only takes brown, green, and blue as legitimate answers.  Common courtesey that whether or not you buy that my eyes are brown or green, when I tell you I am brown-eyed you accept my expert opinion.  If I change my identity to green-eyed, common courtesey still demands that you accept my expert opinion no matter what your opinion is on the matter, and in fact, you are reasonable to assueme that your opinion is manifestly less informed and so unwanted.  Likewise, there is no ideology of Transgenderism for you to wage war.  You can refuse to accept someone's stated pronoun but that only reflects your selfish need, not any principled stance.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
Yes, but it seems you are conflating identity and ideology. Are you? 
No. 
You just said it's an identity. 
So, the idea that someone can identify as the opposite gender is an ideology. 

It's not a mental illness, so it has to be an idea that someone or a group of people proposed. 

It would be incorrect to say ones identity is their ideology 
If it is a false identity, then it is a belief. 
If someone identifies as a salamander, that is false. Therefore, they don't identify as a salamander, they believe that they are a salamander.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
I'm not a teenager, btw.
Oh, so you are rapidly approaching your expiration date.

More unverified rubbish.
That’s the language you speak

I'm not as well versed on homosexuality. I think transgender people are basically homosexuals with a mental illness, but I'm not sure whether homosexuality is a mental illness in itself.
You are not well versed in either subject toots. 

Transgender surgeries do not remove the increased suicide chance
Did you read the study you cited? The abstract contradicts what you think the study says. Unless you are trying to spin by saying “well the transition treatments don’t completely remove the risk of suicide”

“Overall, utilization of transition-related medical care was associated with significantly lower estimated odds of suicidal ideation, binge drinking, and non-injection drug use. Findings suggest that utilization of transition-related medical care may reduce risk for mental health problems, especially suicidal ideation, and substance use among transwomen”

So the question remains - ARE YOU AN IMBECILE?

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@oromagi
  • That's right.  And any socially constructed activity is far more likely to be ideological thanjust  being honest about who your are, right?
To prove your logic is sound, you must provide three examples of the well know ideology called Debaterism.  SInce we both know you can't you should admit that your reasoning is faulty.
Transgenderism is not an activity. 

Can you transgenderism? No. But you can believe you are transgender. Believe is the verb here. It is the action/activity that is being done. You are believing.

Debating is an activity.
You can debate. You can't just simply believe in debating. You can witness/see it, but no one in their right mind would deny that debating is an actual activity. 

Yes, there are ideas involved but no idelogy.
When a large group of people,
Push an idea,
Or multiple ideas,
To social norms,
It becomes an ideology. 

Transgenderism claims that a man can become a woman, a woman can become a man, men can menstruate, men can get pregnant, and etc. 
These are not facts, but ideas that were socially constructed. In recent years this idea has taken over social norms in the west and has been pushed by a large group of people. Therefore, it is an ideology, and not just simply an idea. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
So, the idea that someone can identify as the opposite gender is an ideology. 
What is the definition of ideology?

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I'm not a teenager, btw.
Oh, so you are rapidly approaching your expiration date.
What exactly are you talking about? I have an idea, but I'd like to know exactly.

More unverified rubbish.
That the language you speak
You didn't make any sense here.

Try again.

You are not well versed in either subject toots. 

Did you read the study you cited? The abstract contradicts what you think the study say. 

Overall, utilization of transition-related medical care was associated with significantly lower estimated odds of suicidal ideation, binge drinking, and non-injection drug use. Findings suggest that utilization of transition-related medical care may reduce risk for mental health problems, especially suicidal ideation, and substance use among transwomen.
Risks are lowered but not eliminated -- that's my point. The fact that transgender people still have an elevated chance of suicide, even after trans-surgery, indicates that there is something else wrong with them.

Are you going to address the rest of my argument, or will you simply concede it?
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Kaitlyn
What exactly are you talking about? I have an idea, but I'd like to know exactly.
We had this conversation a few days ago. I speculated you have no children because, I mean, what guy would want to start a family with a moron. You replied you have plenty of time. I responded, you don’t have as much time as you think, because women have a small window of being desirable as a mate. Get it?

You didn't make any sense here.
Complaining about unverified information? That’s all you do is live in a world of misinformation and nonsense and unverified beliefs. 

Risks are lowered but not eliminated -- that's my point.
Well even if that simply isn’t just you backpedaling after citing a source that doesn’t support your ideas, it’s still stupid. 

Should cancer patients not use chemotherapy because it’s not guaranteed to eliminate the risk of cancer? You are a dummy Kaitlyn

indicates that there is something else wrong with them.
Ya, you know what’s wrong with them, they have to deal with idiots like you on a daily basis. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Kaitlyn
Are you going to address the rest of my argument, or will you simply concede it?
Your assertions about the brains of transgender people?

“Falling within the aegis of the neurohormonal theory of sex differences, we hypoth- esize that cortical differences between homosexual MtFs and FtMs and male and female controls are due to differently timed cortical thinning in different regions for each group. Cross-sex hormone studies have reported marked effects of the treatment on MtF and FtM brains. Their results are used to discuss the early postmortem histological studies of the MtF brain”

First tell mean what this paragraph above means in your own words
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
MSNBC Fanchick has no idea about anything women want or experience with all that nonsense talk.

Pretty sure there is a huge area between teenager and "past the prime"

(except for pedophiliacs, jus sayin)
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
We had this conversation a few days ago. I speculated you have no children because, I mean, what guy would want to start a family with a moron. You replied you have plenty of time. I responded, you don’t have as much time as you think, because women have a small window of being desirable as a mate. Get it?
No, doofus. I asked what *exactly* are you talking about? What age do you think women "expire" at? What age do you think I am? What do you think happens to women when they "expire?"

Risks are lowered but not eliminated -- that's my point.
Well even if that simply isn’t just you backpedaling after citing a source that doesn’t support your ideas, it’s still stupid. 
There's no backpedaling. This has been my argument all along. You can read the entire thread, if you think I've been inconsistent anywhere with this.

Lowering risk =/= elimination of risk. There is no contradiction; the source supports my argument.

Again, are you going to address the rest of my argument?

Should cancer patients not use chemotherapy because it’s not guaranteed to eliminate the risk of cancer? You are a dummy Kaitlyn
Cancer is an already verified reality. Transgender notions involving being in the wrong biological body are not. Hence, we are attempting to discover whether transgender's mental malaise is a product of merely not being able to become their preferred biological sex, or whether they remain mentally unwell *after* all appeasement to accommodate their will to transition.  As my argument showed (of which you've mostly unaddressed), it's the latter which is true.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Your assertions about the brains of transgender people?

“Falling within the aegis of the neurohormonal theory of sex differences, we hypoth- esize that cortical differences between homosexual MtFs and FtMs and male and female controls are due to differently timed cortical thinning in different regions for each group. Cross-sex hormone studies have reported marked effects of the treatment on MtF and FtM brains. Their results are used to discuss the early postmortem histological studies of the MtF brain”

First tell mean what this paragraph above means in your own words
No. I don't need to do that to have my argument be shown as correct.

Either address my argument or concede it.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Greyparrot
MSNBC Fanchick has no idea about anything women want or experience with all that nonsense talk.

Pretty sure there is a huge area between teenager and "past the prime"

(except for pedophiliacs, jus sayin)
I think he's using it as an excuse to guess my age. 

He has the hots for me. I can't blame him :)

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Kaitlyn
Transgender notions involving being in the wrong biological body are not.
According to who? Psychologist and Psychiatrist and their professional associations that have the credentials to make such an opinion agree it is real.

You are just some moron who cited medical studies you can’t understand with your wee woman brain.