The transgenderism debate

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 673
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Last week, the Norwegian Healthcare Investigation Board announced it would be revising its current guidelines regarding so-called " gender -affirming care" for minors because it no longer considers them to be evidence-based. The board also acknowledged that the growing number of teenage girls identifying as male post-puberty remains under-studied.

Under the proposed updated guidelines, the use of puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and transition-related surgery would be restricted to research contexts and no longer provided in clinical settings. Norway joins Finland, Sweden, and the United Kingdom in introducing greater safeguarding for children. In the United States, eight states thus far have banned affirmative care for individuals under 18, with Tennessee being the latest to pass such legislation.

This reasonable policy should have been the approach from the start. The unfortunate fact is that the fanatic accusations of Nazism and Fascism from the "progressive" -woke- left  effectively shut down any and all discussion on the desirable effective medical approach while exposing children to highly experimental treatments that are not yet understood. We should not want to cause more harm than we cure.

This craze should be an interesting case study of how a small, vocal minority can absolutely hijack a society. I say "interesting" - more like "tragic" for young people who were unwittingly involved as test subjects in this experiment. It's the Tuskegee Syphilis Study, but for 1st world whites this time around for those that never learned.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot
In the USA no one under 18 has had genital reassignment surgery.
Poor design is the cause of transgenderism. Our 80 billion neurons form an estimated 100 trillion connections. Through those links surge the signals that make thought possible. The following paper explains this.

Structural connections in the brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation

We need to completely rethink how and why the Universe came into being.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
USA never had slaves either.
badger
badger

This was always going to work itself out this way because this movement in total has always been well-meaning. It's just a society in transition, was always going to be a few kinks to work out. The first evidences of children having negative outcomes with gender affirming care and it was gone, and so it is. You won't shut up about it though. And your children are still having surgery by bullet in the background. Maybe if we see a kid's penis fly across the screen one day we'll sort the gun problem. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
just a society in transition,

I see what you did there...
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Double_R
There are about three different levels of carrying out this very basic, 3rd grade level principal. You can respect others wishes...

A) Because you know what they are since they have explicitly told you so

B) By looking at the evidence and applying Occam's razor

C) By assuming based on basic human nature
Where exactly are these levels carrying the principal to? Home Depot? Walmart?

Anyway, there seems to be about these three levels, so this is fine.

If choice A is not an option because the individual you are interacting with hasn't made their wishes explicitly clear, then you use clues to figure it out and apply until informed otherwise. Like for example when a trans women walks into a room with a wig and a dress on.If you have any common sense within you then you can very easily figure out their preferred pronoun is "she".
It's funny because that person might actually prefer ze/zir, they/them, he/him or any other host of non-binary or binary pronouns, so you could actually be wrong -- you just assumed the persons pronouns(!) The reason it's funny is because this is a result of gender not being underpinned by biological reality, which is EXACTLY the problem I've mentioned several times at length with you before, and now it's coming back to damage your argument quite badly -- you can't assume BECAUSE it's not underpinned by biological reality.

Also, "common sense" is a tautology which you have a terrible habit of engaging in (is this like the 4th time?), and I will call it out every time.

Choice C is the most basic and what all human beings do in any situation where we don't have specific clues... We assume. Based on our own life experiences it's not difficult to tell what people tend to want. If someone is struggling to carry a bunch on things and is walking up to a door you can use your common sense to tell you that person would like for you to get the door for them.
I agree that there is a place for assuming things. Your example of someone struggling to carry something is fine.

However, gender, because it isn't underpinned by biological reality, can't as easily be determined. You can glance at someone and have a guess, but you don't know for sure. There's a whole host of angry "non-binary" people teeing off on others for "assuming gender", and now you're suggesting that it's "common sense" to assume it?

What's worse is that you've claimed to know what the "trans community" wants, and thus are assuming gender (potentially incorrectly) for large swathes of people.

Irony, anyone?

Therefore, (1) respect isn't solely about wishes (despite you previously arguing it), and thus (2) it's possible to respect someone without adhering to their wishes (as shown by the "or" for my definition of respect).
1) I never argued it was "solely" about respecting others wishes. I literally just broke down for you what "the most" means according to the English language.
I know you said "the most", but we need to contextualize it with your words surrounding it, rather than myopically analyzing it in isolation.

You're arguing (and have argued) that "respect" has the mandatory component of appeasing people's wishes. Again, your words: "...Just ignore their wishes, that's literally all you got. That's by definition, the opposite of respect."

Your words state that the opposite of respect is ignoring transgender people's wishes.

Hence, when you say "the most", you mean "the most [mandatory]" form of respect.

In other words, if we don't respect transgender people's wishes (in regards to their gender identity), then we cannot respect them (and you even go further and assert later that it's "disrespectful").

2) Yes, as I already explained, it's possible to respect someone without adhering to their wishes, because respect can come in other forms. But it's not possible to respect someone while you're disrespecting them.
Is it disrespectful to deny a child ice-cream that he/she wished for?

You don't get to pretend one aspect of respect wipes out disrespect. That's like saying a man who brought home flowers to his wife is "treating her good" while ignoring that he gave her a black eye the night before.
I agree that instances of disrespect can wipe out many other instances of respect, and your example is fine.

However, I don't think denying transgender people their delusional gender identity is disrespectful, nor are we required to appease every wish of every person. A wife's wish to have a violent free home is reasonable. A mentally ill person thinking they're born in the wrong body is not. It's a case-by-case basis; it's not a universal principle.

Rights? No, you don't believe they should have the right to decide what happens to their own bodies

Feelings? No, you're calling them mentally ill because of how they feel

Wishes? No, you think anyone who regards them is evil

Your position here couldn't be any more opposite of the position you claim to hold.
I think that transgender people should have many rights, including the right to decide what happens with their bodies, up until their mental illness prevents them from making reality-based decisions. For example, older people may sometimes end up with carers or people with legal power to make their decisions, once they start to mentally lose it -- you can still respect old people's rights in that context. Transgender reassignment surgeries cause permanent damage and don't help transgender people, and for those reasons I think intervention is necessary to prevent them from what is effectively self-harming.

I think transgender people's feelings should be respected. That doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. In the instance of them feeling they are 'born in the wrong body', I have argued at length that this is a product of mental illness, and we shouldn't appease it. It's the same as we wouldn't appease someone who had a dream and now feels they can fly irl: the feelings in the dream were real, but that doesn't make it a good idea to appease feelings with gay abandon.

Do you think it's moral to give a suicidal person a loaded gun because he/she wishes to die? Do you think it's moral to give someone with a peanut allergy some peanuts because he/she wishes to eat them? Do you think it's moral to agree with a schizophrenic that the voices are right and their wish to strangle a duck should be enacted? Do you honestly think every wish must be appeased?

If a terrorist wished to blow up a shopping center, would it be disrespectful to call the police or bomb squad to thwart that wish of his/hers? 
Yes. But disrespect comes with a negative connotation that doesn't apply here. Disrespect is to act towards someone without regard for their wishes, feelings or rights. So if you are not regarding them, you are not respecting them.

Would you respect terrorist's plot to blow up a shopping center? No - Then you would disrespect them.
On what grounds have you decided that a "negative connotation" doesn't apply here? My terrorist example is analogistic to some transgender people's wish to transition, except you haven't explained why one deserves a negative connotation and the other doesn't.

And no, common sense isn't a logically valid answer.

Therefore, it's probably not a good idea to perform irreversible, costly surgeries on people that don't help them.
It wasn't your idea, you didn't perform the diagnosis, and it's not your body. What's at issue here isn't the success rate of the surgery, it's about who has the right to make that decision. Not only are you injecting yourself into something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, but then you have the nerve to pretend you're respecting them by doing so.
People don't have a right to do whatever they want in every scenario. People can't snort lines of cocaine or inject heroin willy-nilly. People can't intentionally block doorways, preventing others from traversing, because they feel like it. Part of growing up is understanding you can't do whatever you want with your body.

We should also protect the mentally ill from harming themselves, such as in the case with transgender people.

It's a combination of me understanding those points that makes me more respectful of transgender people than you.

Transgender people don't have uniquely transgender brains (they're basically homosexual brains with mental disorders). Transgender people don't have their very high suicide rates lower *AFTER* transgender surgery. Most transgender teens simply grow out of their 'transgenderism' by the time they are adults Transgenderism: It's time to state the obvious - Washington Times Clearly, their body isn't the cause of their malaise.

It's objective that transgender people's feelings about being in the wrong body aren't based on reality, much like someone claiming to fly, because he/she did so in a dream, isn't based on reality either (even if he/she feels it was real, which he/she would have). Therefore, we should reject the wishes that extend from transgender people's feelings that are based on non-reality, and thereby label them as objectively wrong.

It's the false conception of reality that needs to be fixed; appeasing feelings, that are the product of a false reality, doesn't fix transgender people.
[Dropped by Double_R]
Again, how do you deal with the fact that most teens outgrow their transgenderism? What happens if they get reassignment surgery and they later regret it? Do you not see the clear harm in this?

Again, I'm using the science as a premise to reach my conclusions.

Gender reassignment surgery doesn't lower the suicide rates to any meaningful degree. Therefore, it's probably not a good idea to perform irreversible, costly surgeries on people that don't help them.
The conclusions you are reaching have nothing to do with science, so your whole argument is invalid at the outset
It has everything to do with science. I reached the conclusion based on the scientific papers I examined.

I didn't just conclude that 'gender reassignment surgery doesn't lower the suicide rates' based on nothing lol.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Double_R
You claimed that my argument was "bigotry".
No, I claimed your argument is apparently fueled by bigotry, because only a negative emotional reaction to these people can explain the absurdities you are engaging in.
You didn't claim that.

Your response to me suggesting you would enable a suicidal person to kill themselves was that I was repackaging my bigotry as selfless virtue. Hence, you've implied that not enabling people to self-harm is "bigotry".

Here's the full context:

[This is Kaitlyn speaking] Don't start with this virtue-signaling nonsense.

You're quite a toxic person for enabling mentally ill people to harm themselves with irreversible gender reassignment surgery and self-described gender identities that don't fit reality at all.

You're the type of person to hand a suicidal person a gun as you say, 'I respect your wish for you to kill yourself', without even considering if they're mentally ill, if they've thought it through, if they're having a panic attack etc.

This stance you have on enabling mental illness doesn't make you a good person at all.
[This is Double_R speaking] How amusing it is to watch someone repackage their bigotry as selfless virtue, while pretending everyone else is terrible.
Explain to us how preventing a suicidal person from getting hold a gun to blow themselves away is "bigotry".

You can't.
Nor would I try to because I've never said anything remotely resembling this. But it was a nice strawman.
Merely stating 'strawman' isn't an effective argument. You need to explain how it was a strawman (which you can't because it wasn't).

You claimed that my argument was "bigotry". That was in response to me arguing that enabling mentally unstable people to do harmful things (i.e. giving a suicidal person a gun) was bad. Thus, it follows that you thought me arguing that we should prevent a suicidal person from getting of a gun was "bigotry".

Should transgender teenagers, who often simply grow out of transgenderism, have the "freedom" to perform basically irreversible transgender reassignment surgery, drastically altering their puberty and making it super hard to ever somewhat resemble their biological sex ever again? 

Your answer to this is currently yes.
No, it's not, because your portrayal of what actually happens (which I broadly support) is cartoonishly silly.

Teenagers don't just walk into a medical clinic, ask for surgery, and walk out that afternoon with a new set of genitals. This decision involves the teenager and their parents consulting with a team of doctors who have to go through a barrage of beurocratic processes to determine what type of care is recommended and approved. I can in theory be swayed to still be against it, but honestly, I just don't care because no matter the result what you're advocating for is to remove the individual, their parents, and their doctors all from the equation so you can make that decision for them. I am just not deluded enough and narcissistic enough to think I'm going to sit here in Google and teach myself this issue so well that I will be able to decide what's best for the individual than the individual and the team around them.
I never said or implied it was that easy to transition -- that's a total strawman.

70-80% of 'transgender' teens simply grow out of transgenderism. This issue worsens when we see that reassignment surgery doesn't lower the suicide rate to any noticeable degree. Even if it takes months or years for everyone to consult and chin wag (it does), it's still likely that the child will simply grow out of the urge to transition AND the reassignment surgery won't quell compulsions for suicide. You need to deal with THAT argument. Do you support THAT? I think you do.

BTW I'm curious, do you consider yourself a freedom loving conservative patriot?
Not really.

The fact is that haven't provided the studies to make your points
Because my point is that you haven't met your burden of proof.
Whether you think I've failed to meet my BoP is totally irrelevant to your failure to provide studies for your arguments.

You're making arguments as well. You're saying things like 'the research on transgender reassignment surgery is mixed'. You NEED to provide studies to make the points you're making. If you can't/won't, then your arguments don't have the necessary premises to make any of the arguments you're making.
[Dropped by Double_R]
This drop is important because of what's below...

You're reframing your laziness and ineptitude as a virtue
You can call an unwillingness to sit here and go study by study, line by line with you for hours and hours on end laziness of that makes you feel better. Fact still remains that you haven't even connected the most basic dots your entire argument is sitting upon. This reminds me of arguing with theists trying to use the bible to prove that god exists and then calling me lazy because I'm unwilling to go passage by passage with them.
You need to provide studies for the points you make.

It's that simple.
Respect is the default position. Your position violates the default position, therefore the onus is on you to prove why everyone else should move from the default position. You've failed to do so.

I don't need a study to prove that. Your studies do not address the conclusion you're trying to prove. 100 invalid connections do not amount to one valid one.
I'm not asking for studies on respect.

I'm asking for the studies for your claims of 'the research on gender reassignment is mixed'.

You not only need a study to prove that, you need multiple studies.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Kaitlyn
 It's the same as we wouldn't appease someone who had a dream and now feels they can fly irl: the feelings in the dream were real, but that doesn't make it a good idea to appease feelings with gay abandon.
I see what you did there.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Greyparrot
 It's the same as we wouldn't appease someone who had a dream and now feels they can fly irl: the feelings in the dream were real, but that doesn't make it a good idea to appease feelings with gay abandon.
I see what you did there.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Kaitlyn
It's funny because that person might actually prefer ze/zir, they/them, he/him or any other host of non-binary or binary pronouns, so you could actually be wrong
If you assume a person's pronouns and you turn out to be wrong guess what you can do?

Adjust.

No one is arguing that you have to be 100% accurate, we're talking about having regard for others. Why is this so complicated for you?

What's worse is that you've claimed to know what the "trans community" wants, and thus are assuming gender (potentially incorrectly) for large swathes of people.
What the trans community wants is for their preferred pronouns to be respected, which again, does not require 100% accuracy. All you have to do is try. It's not that hard.

You're arguing (and have argued) that "respect" has the mandatory component of appeasing people's wishes. Again, your words: "...Just ignore their wishes, that's literally all you got. That's by definition, the opposite of respect."
There is absolutely nothing about my words here that place the appeasement of another's wishes as mandatory to respect. Let me educate you on basic English. Again.

According to your own definition, respect can come in 3 different forms, and by the use of the word "or", they are not all required at once to qualify.

Disrespect is the opposite of respect, therefore the opposite of any of these 3 different forms definitionally qualifies as the opposite of respect.

Disregarding someone's wishes, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect

Disregarding someone's feelings, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect

Disregarding someone's rights, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect

Disrespecting? No. But depending on the circumstances it could be said that you are not respecting their wishes either.

We generally don't talk about respect when it comes to children because that's not what we give them. Children are in a different category because they aren't yet deemed capable of deciding what's best for themselves. Same goes for people with some severe mental illnesses.

The thing you have failed to understand is demonstrated nicely by your own example of schizophrenia. You acknowledge it as a mental illness, and yet you also acknowledge that many schizophrenics are perfectly capable of living on their own and making their own choices. That's because rightfully determining one to be incapable of making their own choices requires an individual diagnosis. We do not just categorize people into vague camps and then assert that all of them should get the same treatment all the time.

This goes back to the point I've been making for weeks or even months now. Your assertion that trans people are mentally ill even if correct is entirely useless. Show mean trans person who is suicidal and I'll agree with you that they shouldn't be allowed to have a gun. Not because they are trans, but because they are suicidal.

Your logic here is literally the same logic as me digging through statistics to prove that black people are more dangerous than white people and using that to justify locking up any random black person. That's what we call rationalized bigotry.

A wife's wish to have a violent free home is reasonable. A mentally ill person thinking they're born in the wrong body is not.
You have done absolutely nothing to show that the latter is unreasonable, except to egregiously strawman what trans people are telling us.

Your argument here has been that their feelings are invalid because they are not in line with their biological reality, while utterly failing to understand that that's literally what they're telling you. This isn't an example of them being delusional as you claim, it's them telling you something that is almost literally a self affirming statement.

Do you honestly think every wish must be appeased?
Appeasing and regarding are not the same thing.

This is basic English.

On what grounds have you decided that a "negative connotation" doesn't apply here?
Because most people wouldn't absurdly combine an inherently negative term such as "disrespect" with another inherently negative term such as "terrorist".

Again, how do you deal with the fact that most teens outgrow their transgenderism?
I don't. That's for themselves, their parents and their doctors to consider as they diagnose each case individually.

Your response to me suggesting you would enable a suicidal person to kill themselves was that I was repackaging my bigotry as selfless virtue. Hence, you've implied that not enabling people to self-harm is "bigotry".
No, I made the point that the transparent logical absurdities you engaged in to reach that conclusion and subsequent false interpretation of my comments is far more easily explained by bigotry than a a good faith non bigotry inspired error in reason.

I never said or implied it was that easy to transition -- that's a total strawman.
You very clearly argued that trans teens shouldn't be able to make these decisions solely and easily which is clearly not the case and no one is advocating for that.

Out of time, will address the rest later. Maybe. 
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
It's funny because that person might actually prefer ze/zir, they/them, he/him or any other host of non-binary or binary pronouns, so you could actually be wrong -- you just assumed the persons pronouns(!) The reason it's funny is because this is a result of gender not being underpinned by biological reality, which is EXACTLY the problem I've mentioned several times at length with you before, and now it's coming back to damage your argument quite badly -- you can't assume BECAUSE it's not underpinned by biological reality.

Also, "common sense" is a tautology which you have a terrible habit of engaging in (is this like the 4th time?), and I will call it out every time.
If you assume a person's pronouns and you turn out to be wrong guess what you can do?

Adjust.

No one is arguing that you have to be 100% accurate, we're talking about having regard for others. Why is this so complicated for you?
You argued that it's "common sense": "If you have any common sense within you then you can very easily figure out their preferred pronoun is "she"."

You made it sound so simple but as soon as it's clear people's preferred pronouns are not always that clear, you're immediately forced off your "common sense" pedestal (and of course you don't acknowledge that it happened. 

You didn't even address the fact that they'll be frequently wrong because 'gender' isn't underpinned by biological reality, when it comes to these types of people. So, not only are you going to be constantly getting it wrong, you're getting it wrong for people known to be the most violent and intolerant, when it comes to speech they don't agree with: Violence threatens freedom of speech on college campuses (debateart.com) . These people are KNOWN for blowing up at people for misgendering them.

However, gender, because it isn't underpinned by biological reality, can't as easily be determined. You can glance at someone and have a guess, but you don't know for sure. There's a whole host of angry "non-binary" people teeing off on others for "assuming gender", and now you're suggesting that it's "common sense" to assume it?

Irony, anyone?
What the trans community wants is for their preferred pronouns to be respected, which again, does not require 100% accuracy. All you have to do is try. It's not that hard.
Their preferred pronouns are nonsense. We know they're either making them up because they want attention/think it's trendy, or they're genuinely mentally ill.

Therefore, (1) respect isn't solely about wishes (despite you previously arguing it), and thus (2) it's possible to respect someone without adhering to their wishes (as shown by the "or" for my definition of respect).
1) I never argued it was "solely" about respecting others wishes. I literally just broke down for you what "the most" means according to the English language.
I know you said "the most", but we need to contextualize it with your words surrounding it, rather than myopically analyzing it in isolation.

Your words state that the opposite of respect is ignoring transgender people's wishes.

Hence, when you say "the most", you mean "the most [mandatory]" form of respect.

In other words, if we don't respect transgender people's wishes (in regards to their gender identity), then we cannot respect them (and you even go further and assert later that it's "disrespectful").
There is absolutely nothing about my words here that place the appeasement of another's wishes as mandatory to respect. Let me educate you on basic English. Again.

According to your own definition, respect can come in 3 different forms, and by the use of the word "or", they are not all required at once to qualify.

Disrespect is the opposite of respect, therefore the opposite of any of these 3 different forms definitionally qualifies as the opposite of respect.

Disregarding someone's wishes, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect

Disregarding someone's feelings, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect

Disregarding someone's rights, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect
You didn't address the main contention (what you meant by "most basic form of respect") in any significant way. Merely saying, "there is absolutely nothing about my words that place the appeasement of another's wishes as mandatory to respect", doesn't contend with the framework, quotations (of your words) and definitions that I've given. You've effectively just said "no" without any elaboration -- that's not logical.

2) Yes, as I already explained, it's possible to respect someone without adhering to their wishes, because respect can come in other forms. But it's not possible to respect someone while you're disrespecting them.
Disrespecting? No. But depending on the circumstances it could be said that you are not respecting their wishes either.
"Disregarding someone's wishes, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect" -- Double_R

This is quite a contradiction in your argument.

We generally don't talk about respect when it comes to children because that's not what we give them. Children are in a different category because they aren't yet deemed capable of deciding what's best for themselves. Same goes for people with some severe mental illnesses.
12 year olds are capable of making many decisions about what is best them, let alone 17 year olds. Some 17 year olds are actually functionally more capable as living as adults than some 35/40 year olds, because they were raised correctly and given appropriate responsibility and autonomy to mature. Hell, even some people younger than 12 are capable of making some important decisions, and clearly show that they understand the consequences. Sure, they shouldn't be making every decision in their lives, but to refrain from generally talking about respect when it comes to children, you're depriving them of their rights, their feelings and their reasonable wishes -- all things you've complained at length about.

The thing you have failed to understand is demonstrated nicely by your own example of schizophrenia. You acknowledge it as a mental illness, and yet you also acknowledge that many schizophrenics are perfectly capable of living on their own and making their own choices. That's because rightfully determining one to be incapable of making their own choices requires an individual diagnosis. We do not just categorize people into vague camps and then assert that all of them should get the same treatment all the time.
I've repeatedly said that we need not appease anything born from mental illness. I haven't ever said that all schizophrenics are the same and we should deny their every request. This strawman isn't going to work.

This goes back to the point I've been making for weeks or even months now. Your assertion that trans people are mentally ill even if correct is entirely useless. Show mean trans person who is suicidal and I'll agree with you that they shouldn't be allowed to have a gun. Not because they are trans, but because they are suicidal.
It's entirely useful because, like the schizophrenic, we need to determine what delusions their mental illness is producing. The higher suicide rates are a product of their mental illness, and whilst are certainly a problem, they're not the only problem. Transgenderism is a problem in itself because it's a mental illness.

Your logic here is literally the same logic as me digging through statistics to prove that black people are more dangerous than white people and using that to justify locking up any random black person. That's what we call rationalized bigotry.
Being Black isn't a mental illness LOL.

FYI transgender people have a 40% incarceration rate (a rather alarming point that I don't think you've addressed at all), something Black people don't even come close to matching.

At least this strawman was funny.

A wife's wish to have a violent free home is reasonable. A mentally ill person thinking they're born in the wrong body is not.
You have done absolutely nothing to show that the latter is unreasonable, except to egregiously strawman what trans people are telling us.

Your argument here has been that their feelings are invalid because they are not in line with their biological reality, while utterly failing to understand that that's literally what they're telling you. This isn't an example of them being delusional as you claim, it's them telling you something that is almost literally a self affirming statement.
I've extensively shown that it's unreasonable because: (1) attempting to put them in the 'right body' has virtually no effect on their suicide rate, (2) their brains aren't that of the opposite biological sex, and (3) they're mentally ill and that's what is causing them to think they're 'transgender'.

I have never argued that their feelings are invalid. I have argued that their feelings are valid but are a result of a mentally ill perception of themselves, the latter of which is not valid.

What they're "literally" telling me is wrong. They're not born in the wrong body. I'm not arguing that they're born in the wrong body. I'm arguing that they were born in the right body and that they're mentally ill. Being mentally ill doesn't enable you to change your biological sex.

Do you think it's moral to give a suicidal person a loaded gun because he/she wishes to die? Do you think it's moral to give someone with a peanut allergy some peanuts because he/she wishes to eat them? Do you think it's moral to agree with a schizophrenic that the voices are right and their wish to strangle a duck should be enacted? Do you honestly think every wish must be appeased?
Appeasing and regarding are not the same thing.

This is basic English.
This is a major walking back of your stance.

I guess it's fine now to 'regard' transgender people's wishes and not appease them. As long as we 'regard' them, we don't have to actually do anything to literally support them.

Also, please actually deal with the analogical questions that contradict your stance, rather than just deleting them.

If a terrorist wished to blow up a shopping center, would it be disrespectful to call the police or bomb squad to thwart that wish of his/hers? 
Yes. But disrespect comes with a negative connotation that doesn't apply here. Disrespect is to act towards someone without regard for their wishes, feelings or rights. So if you are not regarding them, you are not respecting them.

Would you respect terrorist's plot to blow up a shopping center? No - Then you would disrespect them.
On what grounds have you decided that a "negative connotation" doesn't apply here? My terrorist example is analogistic to some transgender people's wish to transition, except you haven't explained why one deserves a negative connotation and the other doesn't.

And no, common sense isn't a logically valid answer.
Because most people wouldn't absurdly combine an inherently negative term such as "disrespect" with another inherently negative term such as "terrorist".
Ah, like most people wouldn't absurdly combine an inherently negative term such as "disrespect" with another inherently negative term such as "the mentally ill".

I guess in some circumstances, it's okay to disregard someone's wishes. We're still being respectful, right?

"Disregarding someone's wishes, therefore, by definition, qualifies as disrespect" -- Double_R

Uh...

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Double_R
It's a combination of me understanding those points that makes me more respectful of transgender people than you.

Transgender people don't have uniquely transgender brains (they're basically homosexual brains with mental disorders). Transgender people don't have their very high suicide rates lower *AFTER* transgender surgery. Most transgender teens simply grow out of their 'transgenderism' by the time they are adults Transgenderism: It's time to state the obvious - Washington Times Clearly, their body isn't the cause of their malaise.

It's objective that transgender people's feelings about being in the wrong body aren't based on reality, much like someone claiming to fly, because he/she did so in a dream, isn't based on reality either (even if he/she feels it was real, which he/she would have). Therefore, we should reject the wishes that extend from transgender people's feelings that are based on non-reality, and thereby label them as objectively wrong.

It's the false conception of reality that needs to be fixed; appeasing feelings, that are the product of a false reality, doesn't fix transgender people.
[Dropped by Double_R]
Again, how do you deal with the fact that most teens outgrow their transgenderism? What happens if they get reassignment surgery and they later regret it? Do you not see the clear harm in this?
I don't. That's for themselves, their parents and their doctors to consider as they diagnose each case individually.
No, no. You don't get away from the consequences of your argument that easily.

You've argued at length that transgender identities should be 'regarded'. 

Are you now suggesting that these transgender teenagers, of which 70-80% will simply grow out of their transgender identities, should have, in some circumstances, their transgender identity not regarded?

Do you 'regard' transgender identities, or do only regard some of them? Which is it, Double_R?

No, I made the point that the transparent logical absurdities you engaged in to reach that conclusion and subsequent false interpretation of my comments is far more easily explained by bigotry than a a good faith non bigotry inspired error in reason.
You're just lying. People can see the full context here: The transgenderism debate (debateart.com)

You very clearly argued that trans teens shouldn't be able to make these decisions solely and easily which is clearly not the case and no one is advocating for that.
No. I argued that there is a significant proportion of transgender teenagers (70-80%) who will grow out of their transgenderism. Nowhere in that argument does it refer to the ease.

Out of time, will address the rest later. Maybe. 
Kk.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
No, no. You don't get away from the consequences of your argument that easily.

You've argued at length that transgender identities should be 'regarded'. 

Are you now suggesting that these transgender teenagers, of which 70-80% will simply grow out of their transgender identities, should have, in some circumstances, their transgender identity not regarded?

Do you 'regard' transgender identities, or do only regard some of them? Which is it, Double_R?
I have no idea what you're trying to ask.

You asked me how I deal with the fact that "most teens outgrow their transgenderism", and like I said, I don't because I'm not the one at the center of their dysphoria making key decisions. This isn't something on my plate and it's not on yours either, which is what makes your obsession with this topic that much more nefarious.

You seem to be confusing regarding ones identity with approving of surgery, which is an absurd thing to confuse. If I acknowledge a teenager as "she" at their request and he outgrows it... Then next time I'll acknowledge him as a he. This is really simple, no harm had been done.

If that teen desires to undergoe surgery, then again, that's an issue for him and his parents to decide on and consult with medical professionals on. If 4 out of 5 outgrow their transgenderism, then the task here is to determine whether he is the 4 or the 1 and whether this is necessary at this time. I have nothing to do with that and I couldn't care less about being a part of that conversation. It's not my life. Why do you believe it is yours?

And BTW, regard does not mean appease.

You're just lying. People can see the full context here: The transgenderism debate (debateart.com)
This is so stupid.

What part of this exchange in your mind demonstrates that I'm lying?

No. I argued that there is a significant proportion of transgender teenagers (70-80%) who will grow out of their transgenderism. Nowhere in that argument does it refer to the ease.
You have repeatedly made the claim that transgender teenagers shouldn't be able to have reassignment surgery because they are mentally ill and therefore cannot decide what's best for themselves. This argument completely ignores the fact that teenagers are not making these decisions on their own.