NETFLIX New Documentary produced by RACIST Jada Pickett Smith = BLACK WASHING HISTORY!

Author: TWS1405_2

Total: 40
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
It's also certain that since there are no recessive traits (of any commonality) of the people of subsaharan africa circa 10,000 BC [From now on I shall call this group of people SSA10kBC] which give such reflective skin: Steph Curry also has significant ancestry from humans outside that group, probably indoeuropeans by the look of him.
So you're assuming that by the look of him, (and I don't dispute it since I don't know Curry's genealogical history) that he has pure Indo-european ancestry--which you have taken to mean, "white?"
It's not exactly an assumption, an informed guess. Yes.

I am not saying "the white race", I'm saying that they were one of many many peoples that by that time were white (reflective, or rather more transparent skin).

That is the group of people who were north of the black sea 7000 years ago were all white.
A group of strictly so-called "whites" who cultivated the Hamangia culture 7000 years ago despite their geographical neighbors like Hungary and Turkey and even Romania bearing, what we call today, people of "color?"
The genealogy, the archeological culture, and the linguistic analysis can't be perfectly correlated. To say one particular group of burial mounds was "the original indo-europeans" is probably never going to be a provable statement.

I don't know who calls modern Hungarians, Turks, and Romanians "people of color" but they are not SSA10kBC. And they do not have dark skin.

Historical Turks and Hungarians were steppe people that diverged from the indo-europeans before they were indo-europeans. [That's why their language is not indo-european].

They were also white (reflective) as they are today and as would be expected by the latitude they lived.

We know this because they went in different directions and everywhere they went people are white. This is a basic technique of identifying hereditary traits including language and speciation. The common trait after splitting was present before the split.
You haven't substantiated the "trait" before the so-called "split."

Macedon and Hellas were white. Her parents both came from white populations. Whiteness is inherited. She was therefore white.
Please substantiate this. You don't necessarily have to make a reference. A detailed explanation will suffice as well.
The commonality after the split is the substantiation that it existed before the split. The only alternative is that the trait simultaneously appeared in isolated populations. This is unlikely. Again this observation is the heart of all evolutionary analysis.

The race in question can loosely be defined as SSA10kBC and all those with significant ancestry in that group.

The split between the gene group "Macedonian" and SSA10kBC would be 80,000 years ago (or longer). No one who left before 10k BC would be direct descendants and the subsequent gene outflows from SSA10kBC were insignificant.
And how many so-called "Black" people, or those who governments designate as so-called "Black" are closely descended SSA10kBC? And why are we setting the parameter to that which we consider so-called "Black" as closely descended from Sub-Saharan Africans 10,000 BC?
I don't know, but I'm fairly certain that no other precise collection of ancestors would have higher correlation with the modern categorization "black people".

I don't know who you've been talking to where turks are considered "PoC" (or black or whatever).

Not all people with white skin are macedonian, but all macedonians had white skin (at that point). Someone without white skin is someone whose skin is certainly dissimilar to Cleopatra.
Please substantiate.
See above.

I can provide my own contention and substantiate that there were in fact so-called "Blacks" in Macedonia, Greece, Rome, (modern day) Germany, (modern day) Scandinavia, Hungary, Turkey, (modern day) Ukraine, Russia, etc.
People get around, but one guy/gal in a 100,000 isn't going to alter the gene frequency of the population. i.e. he won't cause the population of the region in a thousand years to have "significant ancestry" in wherever he came from.

But that would only be necessary if I were proposing that Cleopatra was indeed so-called "Black." I bear no such obligation. Only those who claim that she would be exempt or excluded from the designation of so-called "Black." And I intend to hold you accountable to providing rigorous argumentation which verifies your position.
You mean you consider it unsubstantiated until it is somehow ruled out that she or her parents were very genetically very unusual for the region they came from?

I mean she might have been native American, you can't rule out an insane ocean voyage where her parents came over (or greater grandparents) and nobody wrote down any commentary about their unusual features that we've found.

In fact she might have been a sasquatch. Nobody wrote down "She was definitely not covered in hair standing 2.5 meters tall".

It's enough to say that any possible argument that she was SSA10kBC OR dark skinned has no evidence and the probability that her family was genetically similar to the rest of Macedon was 99.9% (verified by genetic legacy today).

When someone (the people who made this movie) chooses to grasp at tiny probabilities the motivation must be questioned.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Informed by what? The misconception that lighter-skinned Negroid individuals must necessarily have a Caucasoid ancestor?

I am not saying "the white race", I'm saying that they were one of many many peoples that by that time were white (reflective, or rather more transparent skin).
You're stating that they were exclusively so-called "White."

The genealogy, the archeological culture, and the linguistic analysis can't be perfectly correlated. To say one particular group of burial mounds was "the original indo-europeans" is probably never going to be a provable statement.
We've jumped through our first hurdle--i.e. the acknowledgement of that which can and cannot be proven especially given the lack of observational data.

I don't know who calls modern Hungarians, Turks, and Romanians "people of color" but they are not SSA10kBC.
I do. I've been in the company of some. But I also acknowledge that they are not a monochromatic geographic group. Just like I acknowledge the government designation of so-called "Black" does not apply to a monochromatic geographic group. And since you've continued to mention SSA10kBC and "dark skin"  in place of so-called "Blacks," let me propose this question: does SSA10kBC and "dark skin" = SO-CALLED "BLACKS"; and SO-CALLED "BLACKS" = SSA10kBC and "dark skin"?

Historical Turks and Hungarians were steppe people that diverged from the indo-europeans before they were indo-europeans. [That's why their language is not indo-european].
Because Indo-European isn't necessarily an "ethnic" group; they're a language-based (linguistic) group. All the more reason I question the reason you're associating strict "Whiteness" to them based solely on migration patterns.

They were also white (reflective) as they are today and as would be expected by the latitude they lived.
The latitude argument does not help your case especially considering Greece/Macedonia shares a latitude  with the "people of color" in the Middle East and parts of South East Asia.

The commonality after the split is the substantiation that it existed before the split. The only alternative is that the trait simultaneously appeared in isolated populations. This is unlikely. Again this observation is the heart of all evolutionary analysis.
Using a "concordance" of genetic clusters and migrations patterns. I would understand if you were talking about the southern most parts of the African Continent and the northern most parts of the European continent where skin albedo can be a somewhat sufficient proxy. But our focus is Greece which neighbors Northern Africa, (which has not escaped my notice that you've excluded) Iraq (formerly the Parthian Empire) the Arabian Peninsula/Plate, the Middle East, etc.

I don't know, but I'm fairly certain that no other precise collection of ancestors would have higher correlation with the modern categorization "black people".
Once again, I ask: does SSA10kBC and "dark skin" = SO-CALLED "BLACKS"; and SO-CALLED "BLACKS" = SSA10kBC and "dark skin"?

I don't know who you've been talking to where turks are considered "PoC" (or black or whatever).
I didn't have to talk to anyone.

See above.
I did. You did not substantiate.

People get around, but one guy/gal in a 100,000
What is the basis of this estimation?

isn't going to alter the gene frequency of the population. i.e. he won't cause the population of the region in a thousand years to have "significant ancestry" in wherever he came from.
And since when is "skin albedo" a reliable proxy for "gene frequency" especially if the geographic groups are relatively close, e.g. Greece and  indigenous North Africa?

You mean you consider it unsubstantiated until it is somehow ruled out that she or her parents were very genetically very unusual for the region they came from?
Genetic abnormalities in relation to the region necessarily resulting in what?

I mean she might have been native American, you can't rule out an insane ocean voyage where her parents came over (or greater grandparents) and nobody wrote down any commentary about their unusual features that we've found.

In fact she might have been a sasquatch. Nobody wrote down "She was definitely not covered in hair standing 2.5 meters tall".
You're the one who stated that Macedonians presumably at the time of her birth (69 BC - Hellenistic Age) were strictly "White". Skin albedo has never been a sufficient proxy for genetic distinction especially among neighboring regions. All you've offered so far is this:

- Greece is directly descended from the Indo-Europeans (linguistic group) who migrated from North of the Black Sea.
- Pure Indo-Europeans are exclusively so-called "White," given that in precivilization, skin "albedo," as you allege was a reliable indicator of genetic selection.
- Macedonia during the Helenistic Age comprised of an exclusively so-called "White" population given that pure Indo-Europeans were exclusively so-called, "White."
- Subsaharan Africans 12,000 years ago unlikely provided enough genetically frequent selection in the area for descendants to be labeled so-called "Black."

I've contended:

- Even if we were to analyze the Indo-Europeans of 7000 years ago who were North of the Black Sea as you've proposed, the Hamangia Culture cultivated in that region would indicate an African presence given that the artifacts are very similar to Ethiopian artifacts.
- Migration patterns of Linguistic groups is not an indicator of so-called "Whiteness"
- Does the government designation of so-called "Blackness" = SSA10kBC.
- You have not substantiated that Macedonians/Greeks of the Hellenistic Age were exclusive so-called "White."

It's enough to say that any possible argument that she was SSA10kBC OR dark skinned has no evidence and the probability that her family was genetically similar to the rest of Macedon was 99.9% (verified by genetic legacy today).
Except the contention was against her being so-called, "Black," not necessarily "dark skinned."

When someone (the people who made this movie) chooses to grasp at tiny probabilities the motivation must be questioned.
TINY PROBABILITIES =/= FALSE.

Again, not that I'm cosigning Jada's depiction. First, why would I even bother watching a "documentary" by Jada Pinkett Smith? Or anyone in Hollywood for that matter? Second, why would I make conclusions about characteristics which lack observational data? Thus undermining claims of "inaccuracy"?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
Informed by what? The misconception that lighter-skinned Negroid individuals must necessarily have a Caucasoid ancestor?
Lighter skin (excluding albinism) is as far as I known a sure sign of mixing with non SSA10kBC.

In the US indoeuropeans are the most common source of lighter skinned genes. Also my subconscious also says there is something about the forehead and eyes that is european.

I don't know who calls modern Hungarians, Turks, and Romanians "people of color" but they are not SSA10kBC.
I do. I've been in the company of some. But I also acknowledge that they are not a monochromatic geographic group. Just like I acknowledge the government designation of so-called "Black" does not apply to a monochromatic geographic group. And since you've continued to mention SSA10kBC and "dark skin"  in place of so-called "Blacks," let me propose this question: does SSA10kBC and "dark skin" = SO-CALLED "BLACKS"; and SO-CALLED "BLACKS" = SSA10kBC and "dark skin"?
SSA10kBC is my attempt to consolidate a vauge concept to a precise one. SSA10kBC ~= SO-CALLED "BLACKS" (the race)

SSA10kBC is a subset of "dark skin". They had dark skin and without mixing continue to have dark skin.

There are other groups in 10k BC that also had dark skin. Australians for instance had and still have (when unmixed) very dark skin.

Because Indo-European isn't necessarily an "ethnic" group; they're a language-based (linguistic) group. All the more reason I question the reason you're associating strict "Whiteness" to them based solely on migration patterns.
To have a language you need people. Thus there were indo-europeans. The language can spread faster or slower than the genes.

There are only two options: Indoeuropeans were white OR indoeuropeans were white and everywhere they moved to and mixed with were white already

Some degree of the latter is almost certainly true

The latitude argument does not help your case especially considering Greece/Macedonia shares a latitude  with the "people of color" in the Middle East and parts of South East Asia.
Racial categorization is already enough of a mess, I have no interest in figuring out what "people of color" means if it doesn't mean dark skin.

Sedentary populations from 10kBC and before at 40 degrees north have light skin. I know of no exceptions. Therefore this "people of color" stuff has no bearing on my case.

Using a "concordance" of genetic clusters and migrations patterns. I would understand if you were talking about the southern most parts of the African Continent and the northern most parts of the European continent where skin albedo can be a somewhat sufficient proxy. But our focus is Greece which neighbors Northern Africa, (which has not escaped my notice that you've excluded) Iraq (formerly the Parthian Empire) the Arabian Peninsula/Plate, the Middle East, etc.
Excluded? Did I give a list?

SSA10kBC weren't really in the afro-asiatic zone at that time either. Obviously (as could be expected) there were far more SSA10kBC cultural/genetic exchange, but it takes more than a small influx to start to affect gene frequencies to a noticeable degree.

The peoples of the afroasiatic zone today and then were darker than the indoeuropean zone but they were still much lighter than SSA10kBC. In the middle third of albedo, probably closer to to the whiter 1/3 than the darker 1/3.

People get around, but one guy/gal in a 100,000
What is the basis of this estimation?
The lack of detectable genetic markers even to this day. In fact I believe I saw an article about the remarkably homogeneity of genetic makeup of Greece of today compared to then.

isn't going to alter the gene frequency of the population. i.e. he won't cause the population of the region in a thousand years to have "significant ancestry" in wherever he came from.
And since when is "skin albedo" a reliable proxy for "gene frequency" especially if the geographic groups are relatively close, e.g. Greece and  indigenous North Africa?
We know the skin albedo is caused by gene frequency. It's not that one is a proxy for another, it's that if gene frequency is not changed neither will skin albedo.

Genetic abnormalities in relation to the region necessarily resulting in what?
I don't understand.

All you've offered so far is this:

- Greece is directly descended from the Indo-Europeans (linguistic group) who migrated from North of the Black Sea.

- Pure Indo-Europeans are exclusively so-called "White," given that in precivilization, skin "albedo," as you allege was a reliable indicator of genetic selection.
Um, skin albedo is and was a reliable indicator of the presence of the genes which control it. We know the indoeuropeans were white because everywhere they migrated people are white today (or rather were until significant migrations from outside occurred).

- Macedonia during the Helenistic Age comprised of an exclusively so-called "White" population given that pure Indo-Europeans were exclusively so-called, "White."
Or so nearly exclusively as to make any exception very remarkable and therefore the lack of contemporary remark would be absurd.

- Subsaharan Africans 12,000 years ago unlikely provided enough genetically frequent selection in the area for descendants to be labeled so-called "Black."
That's not a matter of liklihood, if there was a significant ancestry 2000 years ago it would still be detectable and it isn't.

I've contended:
- Even if we were to analyze the Indo-Europeans of 7000 years ago who were North of the Black Sea as you've proposed, the Hamangia Culture cultivated in that region would indicate an African presence given that the artifacts are very similar to Ethiopian artifacts.
That would be interesting to look at. Mainstream archeology says were were barely learning how to farm 7000 years ago and cities were rare special places. In such a world traveling long distances would not be easy; but of course it could be done given enough time or will.

Unfortuantely we would also know that if there was a migration from Ethopia 7000 years ago, that population died before it had time to mix genes with neighboring populations to any degree.

- Migration patterns of Linguistic groups is not an indicator of so-called "Whiteness"
When combined with the end state of the migrations (what we observed during the historical period) it is.

Except the contention was against her being so-called, "Black," not necessarily "dark skinned."
Either way...

TINY PROBABILITIES =/= FALSE.
In many contexts including this one they have the same result.
Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Lighter skin (excluding albinism) is as far as I known a sure sign of mixing with non SSA10kBC.
Excluding the San people.

In the US indoeuropeans are the most common source of lighter skinned genes
Demonstrate.

Also my subconscious also says there is something about the forehead and eyes that is european.
Your candor is welcomed.

There are other groups in 10k BC that also had dark skin. Australians for instance had and still have (when unmixed) very dark skin.

SSA10kBC is my attempt to consolidate a vauge concept to a precise one. SSA10kBC ~= SsO-CALLED "BLACKS" (the race)

SSA10kBC is a subset of "dark skin". They had dark skin and without mixing continue to have dark skin.
So then is it your position that descendants of SSA10KBC are the most suited from a genetic standpoint to be characterized as so-called "Black"? And since I've already mentioned Steph Curry as an example, how would you characterize him despite his identifying himself as well as being generally identified as so-called, "Black"?

And what does this indicate to you about the genealogical history of the Australian Aboriginals?

To have a language you need people.
Redundant.

There are only two options: Indoeuropeans were white OR indoeuropeans were white and everywhere they moved to and mixed with were white already
False dichotomy. There are indeed other options.

There's no "almost true." It either is or isn't.

Racial categorization is already enough of a mess,
Very much so. So then how is it prudent to exclude or exempt a person from a so-called, "racial categorization," without first "sorting through the mess"? It would be one thing to state, "attempting to identify Cleopatra's race would be too much of a mess," and another to state, "Cleopatra cannot be [so-called] Black."

I have no interest in figuring out what "people of color" means if it doesn't mean dark skin.
So wouldn't that include the very dark skinned peoples of Australia before 10K BC whom you had just referenced above? As admittedly messy as racial categorization can be, why again are you restricting the parameter to just SubSaharan Africans 10K BC?

Sedentary populations from 10kBC and before at 40 degrees north have light skin. I know of no exceptions.
Demonstrate.

Therefore this "people of color" stuff has no bearing on my case.
Actually it does. Skin Albedo as an arbitrary division was your premise, not mine.

SSA10KBC necessarily excludes--particular North Africa which bears proximity to Greece. I presume you have a reason for doing this. 

SSA10kBC weren't really in the afro-asiatic zone at that time either. Obviously (as could be expected) there were far more SSA10kBC cultural/genetic exchange, but it takes more than a small influx to start to affect gene frequencies to a noticeable degree.
But were not talking about a "noticeable" genetic frequency among an entire population; we're talking about whether there's enough evidence to exclude Cleopatra from the characterization of so-called, "Black." And thus far, at least as far as our discussion is concerned, no has provided or demonstrated any.

The lack of detectable genetic markers even to this day. In fact I believe I saw an article about the remarkably homogeneity of genetic makeup of Greece of today compared to then.
May you reference this article?

We know the skin albedo is caused by gene frequency. It's not that one is a proxy for another, it's that if gene frequency is not changed neither will skin albedo.
Except Greeks are not monochromatic and never were.

I don't understand.
Genetic variation in the region at the time would necessarily suggest what?

Um, skin albedo is and was a reliable indicator of the presence of the genes which control it.
Redundant.

We know the indoeuropeans were white because everywhere they migrated people are white today (or rather were until significant migrations from outside occurred).
Except everywhere they migrated, the people being white has not been substantiated.

Or so nearly exclusively as to make any exception very remarkable and therefore the lack of contemporary remark would be absurd.
Please demonstrate.

That's not a matter of liklihood, if there was a significant ancestry 2000 years ago it would still be detectable and it isn't.
What about significant ancestry from North African countries?

Unfortuantely we would also know that if there was a migration from Ethopia 7000 years ago, that population died before it had time to mix genes with neighboring populations to any degree.
It wouldn't necessitate a linear migration from Ethiopia to the Trypillian region.

When combined with the end state of the migrations (what we observed during the historical period) it is.
Please demonstrate.

Either way...
How is it "either way..."? Would the contention against her depiction have been qualified if Jada had chosen a much lighter skinned so-called, "Black" woman to portray Cleopatra?

No, they actually don't. And in this context, you have yet to substantiate  your presumption of unlikelihood, which is predicated not just on a restrictive parameter that excludes the African countries within Greece's proximity, but also an imputed ecological inference which necessitates the substantiation that the Indo-Europeans of the Hellenistic Age inhabited Greece inhabited Greece and spread their genes to the exclusion of so-called "Blacks."

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
Excluding the San people.
I had to google them, they have light skin for SSA10kBC but they are not anywhere close to 1/3 lightest, nor are they as light as that athlete you referenced, nor did they have a significant migration to North America.

In googling I found that they were supposedly the more ancient residents of southern Africa, which again supports the latitude hypothesis in that south Africa is 32 degrees south which is around the same as Eygpt and the fertile crescent.

In the US indoeuropeans are the most common source of lighter skinned genes
Demonstrate.
The integral of the immigration and population growth in north america is indoeuropean, via being european. There are simply more indoeuropeans in north america at this moment than east asians, or native americans.

Some post slavery african emigration has occurred but not nearly enough to be common source of light skinned genes.

SSA10kBC is my attempt to consolidate a vauge concept to a precise one. SSA10kBC ~= SsO-CALLED "BLACKS" (the race)

So then is it your position that descendants of SSA10KBC are the most suited from a genetic standpoint to be characterized as so-called "Black"?
No I'm saying that when people talk about someone being of the "black race" they are probably talking about SSA10KBC.

[A] Since these genes seem highly susceptible to selection pressure they are poor indicators of genetic clustering in general. For instance it would be incorrect (demonstrably so) to assume that because Australians have very dark skin they are more closely related to SSA10KBC than say indoeuropeans.

We know that the native Australian population is one of the most distal and isolated populations of humans in the world. (They are the least related to the rest of us)

Despite this fact over the short term and in a post-selection state the darkness of a person's skin does rule out certain proportions of ancestry from amongst a limited set of options.

And since I've already mentioned Steph Curry as an example, how would you characterize him despite his identifying himself as well as being generally identified as so-called, "Black"?
I think he's SSA10KBC. I would be $1000 on it, of course I never defined "significant" in "Significant subsaharan..." but still...

And what does this indicate to you about the genealogical history of the Australian Aboriginals?
See [A] above.

False dichotomy. There are indeed other options.
None that I haven't already eliminated via evolutionary arguments.

There's no "almost true." It either is or isn't.
It's 100% certain that indoeuropeans mixed with other populations during their migrations. People don't just exterminate the locals to the last man woman and child. Only collectivism allows such atrocities and they didn't have that kind of centralization then. Also just because it's either true or not doesn't mean uncertainty doesn't exist. "Almost certainly true" means there is a high probability that it is true given what we know, not that there is a superposition of true and false.

Racial categorization is already enough of a mess,
Very much so. So then how is it prudent to exclude or exempt a person from a so-called, "racial categorization," without first "sorting through the mess"? It would be one thing to state, "attempting to identify Cleopatra's race would be too much of a mess," and another to state, "Cleopatra cannot be [so-called] Black."
These long posts of mine are sorting through it. Cleopatra was not SSA10KBC, this can and is known with as much certainty as one can have without her remains in hand.

I have no interest in figuring out what "people of color" means if it doesn't mean dark skin.
So wouldn't that include the very dark skinned peoples of Australia before 10K BC whom you had just referenced above? As admittedly messy as racial categorization can be, why again are you restricting the parameter to just SubSaharan Africans 10K BC?
[B] Restrictions clean up messes. Messes are caused by insufficiently precise definitions/categories or definitions/categories along useless or arbitrary dimensions.

I didn't make this mess. I didn't conflate dark skin with one particular genetic lineage, I'm just creating precise categories from the data. If they don't call a south Indian "black" even though he has skin darker than many "blacks" in NYC it's more complicated than skin albedo.

You imagine asking enough questions about who is "black" of americans and you'll find it's basically the African genes imported during the slave trade; however because those slaves were not genetic freaks among the general gene pool of subsaharan africa any SSA10KBC would also be identified by the same markers.

It's not just skin tone, people's subconscious will find the cues for genetic similarity (at least the parts that manifest obviously in skin and facial structure).

So we're talking about two different things. I don't say "black" because I'm trying to be precise. The skin albedo is merely a clue as to membership in SSA10KBC and it's only a useful clue in some contexts including North America where the only major source of dark skin-genes is SSA10KBC.

Sedentary populations from 10kBC and before at 40 degrees north have light skin. I know of no exceptions.
Demonstrate.
Demonstrate a negative? No, you find an exception.

SSA10KBC necessarily excludes--particular North Africa which bears proximity to Greece. I presume you have a reason for doing this. 
See [B] above.

But were not talking about a "noticeable" genetic frequency among an entire population; we're talking about whether there's enough evidence to exclude Cleopatra from the characterization of so-called, "Black." And thus far, at least as far as our discussion is concerned, no has provided or demonstrated any.
The evidence is her stated (by ancient historians) ancestry and it is sufficient.

May you reference this article?

We know the indoeuropeans were white because everywhere they migrated people are white today (or rather were until significant migrations from outside occurred).
Except everywhere they migrated, the people being white has not been substantiated.
Yes it has. They were white when history started. We know from genetics there weren't vast shifts in gene frequency. Thus they were always white (since the last major mixing).

Please demonstrate.
"And thirdly, the men of the country [Ethiopia] are black because of the heat." - Herodotus This is 600 years before Cleopatra.

"This being granted, the whole earth isset on fire by him, and the Æthiopians are turned black by the heat." - Ovid This is 8CE (shortly after Cleopatra)

That brackets her lifetime. It would have been remarked upon.

What about significant ancestry from North African countries?
Never heard anything about it. As I just showed people did remark on the racial differences at the time including between Europeans and Egyptians, Herodotus says that Egyptians have dark skin and woolly hair... of course he described Ethiopians as full black; which merely indicates that Egyptians were darker than Greeks just as we found the situation two millennia later.

As the circumstances around Cleopatra's throne demonstrates there was gene flow from north to south.

Either way...
How is it "either way..."? Would the contention against her depiction have been qualified if Jada had chosen a much lighter skinned so-called, "Black" woman to portray Cleopatra?
Either way as in whether it is dark skin or SSA10kBC it's demonstrably not how Cleopatra would have looked.

The complaint (or at least the rational possibility of complaint) lies in the double standards of "whitewashing" and the suspicion of trying to rewrite history as a subversive act. That depends on modern contexts and motivations I have not seriously addressed.

At this point I merely maintain that Cleopatra was a light skinned indoeuropean woman based on the same quality of evidence and inference that allows us to even say she was a real woman at all.

No, they actually don't.
Then doesn't my speculation that she was a sasquatch have the same merit as your speculation (implied) that she was SSA10kBC?

If probabilities don't matter they must be equally possible.

Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Okay. Nice discussion. (I had a response, but it has now been deleted three times, and frankly I'm not interested in rewriting it again.) Take care.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
I wish we had access to the underlying quote code so we could save to text file.

8 days later

Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I wish we had access to the underlying quote code so we could save to text file.
So do I. I may reengage this discussion at some later point in time.
AmericanPatriot
Debates: 5
AmericanPatriot
I don't know if anyone has seen the recent little mermaid. I haven't and never will. But one look at it shows the state of the world. And if you look up The New Snow White. It shows someone with dark skin as snow white. The description is literally "skin as white as snow." and only one of the dwarves is actually short. And ones a woman. Disney and the rest of the world is trying to scrape off the last of the normal in this world and put on their dreams of a perfect world. There are so many minorities now that I think strait white males are the only majority. Which by definition makes them a minority soooo.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@AmericanPatriot
What I find insidious is the revisionism. If they showed an ounce of creativity they could make new stories. Half of the stuff they mangle is fiction anyway.

I think it's creepy to have racial quotas in your story even if it was original, but they seem to take a perverse pleasure in smearing their notions of the ideal over things they did not create.

Sometimes it just seems like utter incompetence, I mean look at "The Woman King", out of all the black women that have ever done something noteworthy or all the blanks in history where a black woman could have done something noteworthy (historical fiction) they choose a slaver warlord....

I once listened to some preacher talk about race, he said that "black people need to ask god for help because we ain't never built a city". I guess this was supposed to be some based moment of honesty, but it stands out to me because of the ignorance and the fact that nobody in that church knew any better.

In the real world Ethiopia has been independent and civilized for thousands of years, among the eldest of nations. It's no city on a hill, but it's definitely a city and black people built it.

They (the ignorant westerners who are doing this black-washing) never mention that, show no signs of even knowing it. They obsess over imaginary countries like Wakanda or try to "steal" historical characters like Cleopatra, or (as stated) pick some really terrible specimens of humanity as their heroine.

It's just sad, really sad; but nobody said a mental disease like racism ever ended well.