Total: 61
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
The existence of humans as a part of a progressive universe may or may not be necessary.

Though as far as we are able to know, we are the only intelligent species that can manipulate matter  in a way that surpasses non-interventional development.

This may or may not be necessary, but we must assume the alternatives even if we don't personally run with one of them.

I believe neither alternative, but just accept that one is correct and the other isn't.
Kaitlyn
Debates: 0
Kaitlyn
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Hey Know one has kill themselves with an atomic bomb have they. ? 
You wouldn't.
See even thats funny to think about. 
This isn't about me and what I would personally. I was responding to your comment as to whether it was theoretically possible to wipe everyone off the face of the planet.

Someones always hiding in a bunker somewhere. "Factor" kicks in. 
I think if you dropped 1,000,000 nuclear bombs on the planet simultaneously, bunkers won't save people.

There are certainly theoretical ways to end all life on Earth.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
The existence of humans as a part of a progressive universe may or may not be necessary.
You make it sound like it's a possibility with an equal chance.

Flying dogs may or may not exist in another galaxy. Hitler riding a unicycle may or may not have been reincarnated in another galaxy. Sombreros that can talk may or may not exist. I can't disprove these things, but I almost certainly know that they don't exist. 

They're all possible but there's no good reason to believe there's a large chance they're true. 

Though as far as we are able to know, we are the only intelligent species that can manipulate matter  in a way that surpasses non-interventional development.
Yes.

This may or may not be necessary, but we must assume the alternatives even if we don't personally run with one of them.

I believe neither alternative, but just accept that one is correct and the other isn't.
I don't see why being able to "manipulate matter in a way that surpasses non-interventional development" necessitates (or even can necessitate) that human existence must exist. That doesn't seem to follow.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
Well.

We're pretty certain that humanity resultant of material development does exist and also participates in the further development of matter.

This as part of a developmental process is either necessary and purposeful, or it is not. 

Both possibilities will achieve an outcome, though the outcome may or may not be necessary.

Everything for a reason.

Or no reason for everything.

I'll just leave it at that.

You can pick one if you like.

But you won't be able to substantiate it.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
You can pick one if you like.

But you won't be able to substantiate it.
I don't see a reason to believe that human existence is objectively purposeful and necessary. Therefore, I won't believe either.

It's possible that both are true (albeit it appears very unlikely), but again, I don't see a reason to believe either.

So, again, I don't see how it's an equal choice between believing both or neither. One requires a lot of proof that I haven't seen. The other doesn't require anything. Taking the stance of the latter is far easier and simpler.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
For sure.

I never believe anything.

And the question is unanswerable.

I just like to run with the idea of a purposeful universe these days.

Whereas previously I was firmly into purposelessness.

No God  necessary by the way.....As in a magical being.

Though you might catch me referring to a GOD principle.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
I just like to run with the idea of a purposeful universe these days. No God  necessary by the way.....As in a magical being. Though you might catch me referring to a GOD principle.
I don't understand why you'd believe this, particular without belief in in God (or other variations).

Is your GOD principle belief in an undefined God?

If not, I'll I'm reading from you is, 'I believe in purpose just because I feel like it'.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
As I clearly stated, I do not believe.

I Run with Ideas.

And I can run with both ideas....Purpose or No purpose

GOD principle represents a purpose relative to material development.

GOD principle could still be applicable in a non-purposeful material development scenario.

"Because I feel like it".

Is for sure a well worn epithet.

But is a rather inaccurate epithet....In my opinion.

Coming to a conclusion, or conclusions, or variable conclusions is just an internal electro-chemical processing trait.

Nonetheless I am currently of the opinion that it is not possible to affirmatively conclude anything about everything.

So Kaitlyn appears to affirmatively conclude that everything has no purpose....So how do they come by this conclusion?
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
As I clearly stated, I do not believe.

I Run with Ideas.
Okay. So, it's a kind of faith you have.

Why do you have faith in the idea that there is purpose to life?

GOD principle represents a purpose relative to material development.

GOD principle could still be applicable in a non-purposeful material development scenario.
Why "run" with these ideas?

Coming to a conclusion, or conclusions, or variable conclusions is just an internal electro-chemical processing trait.
Yes, that's the biological function.

So Kaitlyn appears to affirmatively conclude that everything has no purpose....So how do they come by this conclusion?
No, I'm saying that there doesn't appear to be a reason to believe that life has purpose. That's different from saying that there is no purpose.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
Nope. No faith

I accept equally, the idea that everything could be purposeless.

In so much as everything that occurs has no greater purpose.

Though I am as aware as I can be, that matter from an unknown beginning has developed and progressed rather than remaining in stasis, which in itself could be regarded as purposeful.

Ok, so this doesn't necessarily provide an argument for a greater purpose, which is to say a beginning to an end with a final goal.

A goal which I propose might simply be the re-initiation of the universal process.

Why run with these ideas.
Why indeed.

Isn't that just what we do, especially here on Debateart.

Though 95% of my time is spent either  thinking about mundane day to day stuff or asleep.

As for life.

Well, I would suggest that biological function generally provides us with purpose whether we like it or not.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
Nope. No faith

I accept equally, the idea that everything could be purposeless.

In so much as everything that occurs has no greater purpose.
You're just using a lot of words to say 'I don't know whether humans have a purpose or not'.

You could have just said that.

Why run with these ideas.
Why indeed.

Isn't that just what we do, especially here on Debateart.

Though 95% of my time is spent either  thinking about mundane day to day stuff or asleep.
No, no.

You "run" with these ideas because you don't know. That's what you've clarified above.

It's fine to not know, but don't try and make it out to be some convoluted, mysterious stance that is so enigmatic. 

As for life.

Well, I would suggest that biological function generally provides us with purpose whether we like it or not.
When people talk about "purpose", they almost always mean a metaphysical purpose.

There's no higher purpose in biological function -- that's what I'm saying.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
Of course I don't know.

I merely suggest that because I don't know, it is therefore impossible to rule anything out.

There's no higher purpose in biological function.
You don't know that.

It's just an idea that you run with.

Meta-physics....Abstract theory....Interesting philosophical concept.

Isn't all theory abstract to a degree?

To theorise requires imagination.

That is, the assessment and modification of acquired and stored data, some factual and some not......Output is wholly suppositional, and may or may not be proven to be correct.

A biological function and process that seeks to further understanding....Purposeful even if it serves no greater necessity.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Kaitlyn

Consent is morally relevant on the principle of liberty. Liberty is morally relevant because of the universal value of self-determination in volitional intelligence.

No intelligence, no liberty, no consent. For instance it doesn't matter if a tree can't consent to being climbed. There is no discerning will to contradict.
Imagine the tree gains sentience during your climb (and also that you do the climb blindfolded -- much like we can't see who will be birthed before they are). Some big trees won't feel anything and will be fine, and perhaps they might even enjoy the climb as back-scratching or tickling. Some smaller trees may warp a bit under your weight, causing them a fair amount of suffering. Other smaller trees might snap in half and die horribly. 
Sorry for the delay, I congratulate you on being able to grasp and modify an analogy. Many can't seem to.

You don't know how much pain/suffering/discomfit you are going to cause the tree beforehand (because you are blindfolded). You don't know whether your climb is too heavy for the tree. You just do it blind with dire consequences at stake. 
Yet even here it is the pain and suffering that may have moral consequence. Not the lack of consent while no mind existed to consent.

Now if it was possible for the mind to look back on its life and send information to the past that consent could absolve people before the mind existed of responsibility in their role. That is not possible however.

So we can agree that those who choose to behave in such a way that may cause harm to a potential being cannot be absolved by means of consent. That does not mean that any risk of harm is unacceptable or that the predicted ratio of utility cannot be considered.

We can also take an extreme example of someone who is unconscious after a serious motorcycle accident and has no legal guardian/spokesperson to speak for his/her best interests. This person is unable to consent, both literally and legally. This person will simply die if nothing is done. If we apply your logic of "can't consent" and "no discerning will to contradict", we could justify bashing this person to death, or putting him/her atop a large waterslide just to see how he/she would ragdoll down? Does that seem reasonable to you?
Of course not. It's your theory (from what I can tell) that would claim that the person must be left to die. As you say, they can't consent to anything.

That is not my theory, my theory is that there was a discernible will as established by the previous actions of the person. So much so that even if they are dead on arrival their body is still their property and must be disposed of in accordance with their last wishes.

My theory is that there is an enormous difference in many contexts (such as this one) between "unable to consent due to temporary condition or language barrier" and "unable to consent due to not existing".
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
Of course I don't know.

I merely suggest that because I don't know, it is therefore impossible to rule anything out.
Okay.

Now we can assess probabilities.

Is it likely there is unlimited fairy floss waiting for everyone in the afterlife? We "don't know", be we can guess well based on probability, right?

There's no higher purpose in biological function.
You don't know that.

It's just an idea that you run with.
Sorry but my brain isn't designed for fairy tales and hocus pocus anymore.

There's nothing to suggest that there is higher purpose to biological function. Religions are clearly made up for various reasons (I think a lot of them good, but they're still made up). Spirituality and mysticism are even more obviously made up. Tarot cards look pretty cool but only idiots take them seriously.

I don't think some magical being is keeping our higher purpose from us. I don't think that higher purpose is etched into the universe for us to discover. 

So where could it possibly come from? If it exists, why haven't we found it yet?

How long does it absence need to be before you say, 'hey, I'm just going to assume that this thing doesn't exist, without any expectation of it showing up later'.

Meta-physics....Abstract theory....Interesting philosophical concept.

Isn't all theory abstract to a degree?

To theorise requires imagination.
Yes.

That is, the assessment and modification of acquired and stored data, some factual and some not......Output is wholly suppositional, and may or may not be proven to be correct.
You're doing the high school thing of 'you don't know for sure!' when it's overwhelmingly likely, like to the nth degree.

There's just no indication of higher purpose. You can say that humans are flawed and struggle to assess reality correctly, but why would our higher purpose be hidden from us?

Why do you need to hold out for something there is no trace of?

A biological function and process that seeks to further understanding....Purposeful even if it serves no greater necessity.
That's purpose generated through our language, not objectively bestowed upon us via the author of existence.
FLRW
FLRW

I agree with Kaitlyn on Antinatalism. I hope my 3rd wife doesn't want any kids. Third wife? Third wife, OMG I'm a Trump!
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
High School is probably more about point scoring than actually discussing.

And indication is a word that you introduced, but not a word that is particularly relative to the discussion.

The appropriate word is suggestion.

Basically suggesting an indefinite purpose, brought about by the very fact of existence.

Idea and purpose generated by intelligence and communicated through language, which is what we both do.

"Not objectively bestowed upon us via the author of existence" for example. ......Nice 

And magical beings......Although just as likely as unlikely, have not previously been suggestively bestowed upon you by this author.

So Kaitlyn, can you unequivocally prove that everything has no purpose at all?

I certainly cannot prove the opposite, and I'm also certain that you cannot unequivocally disprove the opposite.

And it's been 47 years since I attended High School, but I'm still sure that I don't know for sure.

And I'm also sure with equal certainty that you do not know for sure.

There are certainly no nth degrees relative to this particular topic.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Consent is morally relevant on the principle of liberty. Liberty is morally relevant because of the universal value of self-determination in volitional intelligence.

No intelligence, no liberty, no consent. For instance it doesn't matter if a tree can't consent to being climbed. There is no discerning will to contradict.
Imagine the tree gains sentience during your climb (and also that you do the climb blindfolded -- much like we can't see who will be birthed before they are). Some big trees won't feel anything and will be fine, and perhaps they might even enjoy the climb as back-scratching or tickling. Some smaller trees may warp a bit under your weight, causing them a fair amount of suffering. Other smaller trees might snap in half and die horribly. 
Sorry for the delay, I congratulate you on being able to grasp and modify an analogy. Many can't seem to.

You don't know how much pain/suffering/discomfit you are going to cause the tree beforehand (because you are blindfolded). You don't know whether your climb is too heavy for the tree. You just do it blind with dire consequences at stake. 
Yet even here it is the pain and suffering that may have moral consequence. Not the lack of consent while no mind existed to consent.
Consent to the risk of pain and suffering could resolve the moral dilemma because the person is accepting the risks. The pain and suffering are ultimately the problem, though.

Now if it was possible for the mind to look back on its life and send information to the past that consent could absolve people before the mind existed of responsibility in their role. That is not possible however.

So we can agree that those who choose to behave in such a way that may cause harm to a potential being cannot be absolved by means of consent. That does not mean that any risk of harm is unacceptable or that the predicted ratio of utility cannot be considered.
Yes, consent cannot be given before birth, and this helps my overall argument because it makes it more deductive: not only is consent not given but it *can't* be given.

We can also take an extreme example of someone who is unconscious after a serious motorcycle accident and has no legal guardian/spokesperson to speak for his/her best interests. This person is unable to consent, both literally and legally. This person will simply die if nothing is done. If we apply your logic of "can't consent" and "no discerning will to contradict", we could justify bashing this person to death, or putting him/her atop a large waterslide just to see how he/she would ragdoll down? Does that seem reasonable to you?
Of course not. It's your theory (from what I can tell) that would claim that the person must be left to die. As you say, they can't consent to anything.

That is not my theory, my theory is that there was a discernible will as established by the previous actions of the person. So much so that even if they are dead on arrival their body is still their property and must be disposed of in accordance with their last wishes.

My theory is that there is an enormous difference in many contexts (such as this one) between "unable to consent due to temporary condition or language barrier" and "unable to consent due to not existing".
Okay, it doesn't look like your theory, but it's also not mine either.

I think you might agree that there's a kind of "discernible will" for people yet to be born (albeit, maybe not exactly a discernable will). There's no doubt that if people were to be born, they would see pain/suffering/negative affect/discomfort as something to avoid, hence we can make 100% accurate predictions off that (hence, a 100% predictable discernable will). 

For example, it's like a father and mother setting away money for their future child. The child owns the money in a spiritual sense (probably not a legal sense, though). Despite the child not existing yet, it would be morally wrong for someone else to take the money because we can assume the future child would want the money.

I should note that this 'discernable will' of yours and mine don't appear to be consent (and they might not be the same), because 'discernable will' is a guess based on what we would expect a person to want, rather than what he/she says he/she wants.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
And indication is a word that you introduced, but not a word that is particularly relative to the discussion.

The appropriate word is suggestion.

Basically suggesting an indefinite purpose, brought about by the very fact of existence.
I don't see why you think "indication" isn't relevant to the discussion. I think it's relevant because if there were an indication of higher purpose to human life, you personally wouldn't be sitting on the fence. That logical stance change (neutral --> possible) makes it relevant.

Using "suggest" is fine, too. I think both get the point across.

Idea and purpose generated by intelligence and communicated through language, which is what we both do.
This isn't higher purpose. Our biology and us are the ones deciding all these things, not a higher power.

"Not objectively bestowed upon us via the author of existence" for example. ......Nice 

And magical beings......Although just as likely as unlikely, have not previously been suggestively bestowed upon you by this author.
Okay then. Let's then agree to say that it's virtually certain that they don't exist, instead of being totally neutral in our fence sitting.

So Kaitlyn, can you unequivocally prove that everything has no purpose at all?

I certainly cannot prove the opposite, and I'm also certain that you cannot unequivocally disprove the opposite.

And it's been 47 years since I attended High School, but I'm still sure that I don't know for sure.

And I'm also sure with equal certainty that you do not know for sure.

There are certainly no nth degrees relative to this particular topic.
No, I can't. But, I also can't disprove the existence of the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus.

What I keep suggesting is that we stop having a totally neutral stance to these kinds of near impossibilities, and we start focusing on what is substantially more likely (that there isn't a higher purpose).
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
So in on breath you admit.

No I can't.

And in the next you're,

Focussing on what is substantially more likely.

If you cannot prove something, then you have no basis to suggest or indicate that something is substantially more likely or less likely.

Come sit on the fence with me Kaitlyn.

And purpose is simply  an alternative idea to purposelessness.

Whereas, I would suggest that "higher purpose" is perhaps an unnecessary over-dramatization of the idea of purpose.

Though interestingly, your reference to a higher purpose indicates to me that you do acknowledge the idea of a lower purpose.

Freudian slip perhaps.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
So in one breath you admit.

No I can't.
And in the next you're,

Focusing on what is substantially more likely.
If you cannot prove something, then you have no basis to suggest or indicate that something is substantially more likely or less likely.

Come sit on the fence with me Kaitlyn.
This is not a good argument at all, and I'll use a brief analogy to show why.

Let's take a coin and flip it 50 times. Can I disprove that it'll land heads 50 times? No. Is it likely at all? Absolutely not. 

Probability is the basis for which we can choose a course of action, rather than sitting on the fence when the odds are astronomical on one side, and almost certain on the other.

Yes, we don't know for sure one way or another, but I'm not going to live my life believing that flipping 50 heads in a row (that there is a higher purpose we have no knowledge of) has the same probability as flipping it roughly 25 heads 25 tails (that there is no higher purpose to humans). 

And purpose is simply  an alternative idea to purposelessness.

Whereas, I would suggest that "higher purpose" is perhaps an unnecessary over-dramatization of the idea of purpose.
I'm using the term "higher purpose" to functionally differentiate between human-made purpose, largely because I believe one doesn't exist and the other does.

If you don't like the term, feel free to develop another that connotes the same functionality. 

Though interestingly, your reference to a higher purpose indicates to me that you do acknowledge the idea of a lower purpose.

Freudian slip perhaps.
I've consistently argued that humans can generate their own purpose (you won't be able to find a quote of me saying otherwise). That to me is "lower purpose". It doesn't exist objectively in the universe, hence why this lower purpose is functionally different from higher purpose.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
For sure.

I don't live my life worrying about flipping coins.

Nor do I worry about purposefulness or purposelessness....And I certainly don't believe either.

Though I think that the term "astronomical" is very apt, when it comes to universal probabilities.

As for lower and higher purpose.

I was thinking more a deistic GOD scenario  (higher)...... In comparison to an evolutionary system of material processes and development of which humanity is a part. (lower).

Not that I would disagree with the idea of innate human purpose. Which in itself is contradictory to the abstract concept of antinatalism.

Which of course is not to say that intellectually derived conclusions and subsequent actions in themselves are not purposeful.

From which we could infer that antinatalism might also be purposeful within that context.

Nice discussing with you.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@zedvictor4
For sure.

I don't live my life worrying about flipping coins.
You're just not being unreasonable.

I'm sure you're perfectly turning on the tap to get water, and not worrying about the slim chance the water hasn't been purified, or the government accidentally swapped your water supply with ricin. I'm sure you're perfectly fine stepping on the sidewalk without worrying about the cement beneath you melting or being too frail enough to hold your weight.

The 99.9999999% likelihoods are a cornerstone of how we live our lives.

Nor do I worry about purposefulness or purposelessness....And I certainly don't believe either.
You're free to believe what you want, but I think your stance is unreasonable.

As for lower and higher purpose.

I was thinking more a deistic GOD scenario  (higher)...... In comparison to an evolutionary system of material processes and development of which humanity is a part. (lower).
That works as well.

Not that I would disagree with the idea of innate human purpose. Which in itself is contradictory to the abstract concept of antinatalism.
And how would you go about proving that innate human purpose?

Which of course is not to say that intellectually derived conclusions and subsequent actions in themselves are not purposeful.

From which we could infer that antinatalism might also be purposeful within that context.
They can be purposeful but it's incredibly unlikely that they're objectively purposeful.

Nice discussing with you.
You too :)
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
What is the real problem of being born without consent? I'm not acting stupid; this is a genuine question.

Is it because they didn't give consent?
Is it because we are to believe there is more negative in the world than positive?
Is it okay to not bring them into existence without their consent, and what makes this different?
Is it because we want to remove humans from the earth so other species can develop without our existence, and is this a result of personal guilt?

What is the root of the issue that makes anti-natalism seem like a reasonable solution, and what makes people think there is a problem at all?
What is the absolute rock bottom foundation to your claim of anti-natalism?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
Is it morally permissible to deprive a person the human right of life without their consent?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Kaitlyn
You're just not being unreasonable.
I try not to be.

You're free to believe.
For sure.

But I currently dismiss the pointless concept of belief.

Which I think is a reasonable option.

And not everyone has such dependable cornerstones.

Though they seem to have an ongoing dependency on natalism.

Selfish hey?

29 days later

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
@Kaitlyn
I think it's not unreasonable to assume that humans and other creatures are selfish by nature, assuming a darwinian perspective. This would be a result of their evolution, since individuals who took care of themselves over others were the ones that survived and preserved. However, new evidence suggests that orangutans that shared and were kind with other members of the troop were treated better overall by the other members and had longer lasting dominance. This new evidence suggests that it is possible by nature for individuals to have a proclivity to avoid negative confrontation and preserve relationships between themselves and others.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
True.

But I would suggest that avoiding negative confrontation and preserving relationships is done for the benefit of the self, within the context of the collective and the security the collective provides.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
Absolutely, I think it is absurd to ask anyone to completely put others before themselves. However, I believe it's possible for even a selfish person to become a thriving citizen if they are taught but also recognize the value of building long-lasting and stable relationships for the betterment of not just society but also themself.

119 days later

FLRW
FLRW

I bring this topic up to show what an intellectual discussion looks like.

This is why we need intelligent women back on this site.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
Yes.

This site needs woman's touch.