What made you interested in debate?

Author: Sir.Lancelot

Total: 137
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Did this site make you better at debating IRL?

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Boredom,
Not having voiced or fleshed my opinions strongly before in life,
Happening upon DDO polls and Opinions.

I'm unsure, I don't interact with people in person that much,
Family, I don't argue too much with, and what we do, everyone holds pretty strong to their views,
Work, I'm just pleasant polite, usually too busy to work to debate there.

Probably I'm not too decent at IRL debate,
'Might be this site and online debate has helped me a bit,
But IRL debating would be needed to have, experienced, to be good at IRL, probably.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
I was born to argue, born to critically think and challenge.

I came to realise that I need a high IQ spouse no matter what. I can't last long-term with someone who can't appreciate that side of me, it just makes friction. There's also no way to say 'you're too unintelligent' in a nice way, I have been told my intellectual needs and ranting make me incompatible before, though, some have even said I'm just too smart.

Debating is an innate part of me. I am not just a nerd who can do nerdy stuff at the day job and come home and turn my brain off, in everything I like to think generally speaking, it can even be intimacy but also just hobbies. I can get along with less intelligent people, yes. I can't fully feel that electric 'fuck I dig you so hard' vibe let alone this true love vibe and it is a problem as I can feel a crush and feel loved (well, not all of me, that's the point) but start to feel dead inside myself.

I can have less intelligent or stimulating friends but for a lover, it's definitely a requirement. She needs the spark, the urge to debate sure but that's not as important, just the spark to talk back.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Contradiction in what I was taught and expected to believe.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot

I came to realise that I need a high IQ spouse no matter what. I can't last long-term with someone who can't appreciate that side of me, it just makes friction. There's also no way to say 'you're too unintelligent' in a nice way, I have been told my intellectual needs and ranting make me incompatible before, though, some have even said I'm just too smart.

Debating is an innate part of me. I am not just a nerd who can do nerdy stuff at the day job and come home and turn my brain off, in everything I like to think generally speaking, it can even be intimacy but also just hobbies. I can get along with less intelligent people, yes. I can't fully feel that electric 'fuck I dig you so hard' vibe let alone this true love vibe and it is a problem as I can feel a crush and feel loved (well, not all of me, that's the point) but start to feel dead inside myself.

I can have less intelligent or stimulating friends but for a lover, it's definitely a requirement. She needs the spark, the urge to debate sure but that's not as important, just the spark to talk back.
So debate to you is more personal than recreational.
I have similar romantic preferences for myself.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Then get married already
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Quite the opposite. Everyone else thinks that I am a lunatic at debating. Voicing my opinion at the debating club got me banned all the way till graduation. I tried enter tournaments and the judges think I am speaking nonsense even though I established my literal interpretation as early as possible and in the clearest fashion in the limited time.

Still this isn't a bad thing. It just means I am miles ahead of people. At least I treat topics as what they are: strings of words, instead of the meanings they imply. Most people mix debate topics up with the implied meaning of a single interpretation(and stick it there, and not seek out anything else, and calls me out when I uses a valid interpretation according to the topic. If I actually do try, you won't be able to find any flaw in my reasoning(due to my interpretations being the topic itself instead of anything indirectly derived from it) unless you change the topic for once(for example, setting restrictions in the interpretations).

But serously, I have got zero explanations why people quasi-automatically declare me a loss whenever I try. My proof is tautologically sound!

Mps1213
Debates: 11
Mps1213
First off Rational madman, you do not have a high IQ and are a terrible critical thinker in my experience debating with you. 

I’m not interested in debate really. I’m an author, I am currently writing a book on a very controversial topic which is drug legalization, I use debate and conversations to strengthen my ideas and Try to help educate others who are willing to listen on the topic. 

Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@Intelligence_06
One reason I think you have difficulty is that you seem to try and force yourself to speak with a diverse vocabulary. I think if you spoke more plainly, directly, and concisely you’d have a better time. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Mps1213
On the contrary, out of about 40 students in my class, I appear to be the sole individual that do not integrate memorizing vocabulary into my learning schedule. This is strange. I never recall picking such a habit in any discrete way. I don't actually try to do that anyways.

Funny enough, back when I was normalized enough to try normal debating, my coach(or what can I call it?) said that my speeches are too plain and too devoid of diversity when it comes to synonyms and replacements. I mean, just look at everyone else, they took professional public speech classes from a former graduate of Harvard and voice their opinion with the sophistication of a philosopher or a supreme court judge, and then I just barge through with a quick silver bullet of the literal take that is the elephant in the room that somehow no one has noticed, used one minute, then stood there for 3 more until I concluded my "speech" with forced politeness because the required max is 4. Maybe that is how I got kicked. I don't quite know.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mps1213
Thanks for your false interpretation of me. I am not always using my genuine thoughts to win arena debates, I also don't care if I am dumb in your eyes at all.

Try to make a series of tests, yourself or found online, to test me vs you in intelligence. Let's do it. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
@whiteflame
@oromagi
How does MPS's post work with the new rule enforcement?

Is it okay if you word the insult passive like this:
First off Rational madman, you do not have a high IQ and are a terrible critical thinker
I want to understand how the new enforcement works. This was unprovoked but may not be deemed am attack.
Mps1213
Mps1213
Rational madman, come try and redeem yourself against in the debate I currently have open. 

Also i could possibly seeing you passing a test with a higher grade than me if the test covers a bunch of useless garbage that will never be necessary or explored outside of the test. 
Mps1213
Mps1213
And RM all I have to do is go to the comment section of your little rap battle to find a bunch of passive insults as well, so if your gonna call in rule enforcement on me you should probably make sure you’re not doing the same thing.
Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@Intelligence_06
I’m not insulting you, but is it possible you’re just not as good as debating as you think you are?

I’m a horrible at debating , I’m just an expert in one topic which is why I can win debates. 
Mps1213
Mps1213
“Idc anyway, it is becoming obvious to me people don't get how to read or measure things.” 

Kind of case and point right there. I wasn’t insulting you I was just making an observation, just like you were here. So don’t get fragile on me RM and start screaming mommy. 

come debate me on heroin legalization and see if your high IQ and critical thinking can win a debate against me. 
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@RationalMadman
@Mps1213
RM - Convenient you left this part off of mps1213’s quoted statement of clear observation:

“…in my experience debating with you.”
He qualified his assertion by observation via experience engaging you in debates/discussions. 

What and how he said it is not a violation of the CoC. 
Don’t be so sensitive. Sticks n stones. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TWS1405_2
I want the mods to establish if we can mask attacks and get away with it or not.

They must establish a consistent standard, then we know how to operate within the rules.
Mps1213
Mps1213
Rational madman, again you do exactly what I just did constantly you literally did it in the debate you’re currently having with Lancelot. No one was fragile or insecure enough to call the rule enforcers of the website, except you. Which is fine. I’m just saying if you’re going to call for the rules to be enforced at least follow them yourself, and stop being hypocritical.

You called the voters illiterate and said they can’t understand things. Did you report yourself.

Also if you weren’t so “I’m smarter and tougher than everyone” with how you post on this site maybe you wouldn’t constantly catch shit from everyone. Just screams fragility and insecurity to everyone reading. 

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker

Modesty too, don't forgot to tell us how humble you are.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
I just have the urge to debate.

Oh no, I dont debate in real life due to my poor short term memory. I often forget 60% of what the other person said. I often forget what I wanted to say. Plus, people in real life arent really interested in debating. They will interrupt you, use emotional arguments, or just spam a bunch of "what about this, what about that".
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
-->
@RationalMadman
I want the mods to establish if we can mask attacks and get away with it or not.
Probably not. That would defeat the entire purpose of "insult ban", and would bring the site back to similar state it was in before ban.

Saying "you are not smart" may not be as insulting as saying "you are stupid", but both mean the same are not any arguments what so ever, and both are irrelevant to the topic.

Non-arguments in most cases need to be reduced, and insults are the worst form of non-arguments.

So yes, if there will be a war against insults, then there will be a war against all insults, not just some forms.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
I love debate but never IRL.  People get to emotional about politics and take it personally so I shut down debate IRL.  But I love politics so I love to debate it online 

This site seems to have few participants so I don't see a whole lot of debate happening here.  Rap battles are not debate
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
Thanks for realising what I am saying, well put.

I didn't even say one thing about MPS and him attacking me had 0 to do with the topic. I will refrain from insulting back.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
@whiteflame
During this thread, I am being ridiculed for engaging with it genuinely by multiple users. Is this protected under the new enforcement, as in allowed? If so, should I insult back or what's the idea? Should I learn to never share anything here?
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@RationalMadman
@Best.Korea
@Sir.Lancelot
@Mps1213
In fairness MPS made it clear that it was a biased and subjective opinion.  I see nothing wrong with it.

So I am going to add myself to the foray.   I think you, RM,  are a great lyricist and composer of rap narrative.  I think your flow is terrible and hard to read.  So while you are really good, you also suck.

Is that an insult?  Is that worthy of a ban, or is that a defended, subjective and qualified opinion?  

Are we expecting everyones feelings to be weaker than wet tissue paper?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Slainte
No, you just derail a thread because you can't read good flow.

Listen more to this:

You talk about 'flow' what even is flow to you?

To me this is apex flow:

And this rapper is not always that good. He has less good flow in some raps, that's him seamless at it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Slainte
You dont know how to read my raps because you don't listen to truly god tier flow enough to catch my syllable-sliding.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
RMM.

Do you think debate styles have category-specific types? Like MBTI.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@RationalMadman

@Barney
@whiteflame
During this thread, I am being ridiculed for engaging with it genuinely by multiple users. Is this protected under the new enforcement, as in allowed? If so, should I insult back or what's the idea? Should I learn to never share anything here?

OMG!! How old (young) are you! 🤦‍♂️