What made you interested in debate?

Author: Sir.Lancelot

Total: 137
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
At this point I would like to point out that the CoC (somehow still not updated) includes "You may not engage in or promote criminal activity."

Can we please remove that absurd rule already?
Mps1213
Debates: 11
Mps1213
-->
@FishChaser
I find it pretty irresponsible to recommend drugs to people I don’t know. Just cause legally that could cause some problems if you are irresponsible and end up dying, I’ll talk to you about them though. 

What drugs have you tried? I can give you an idea on similar drugs or other drugs I enjoy. 
Mps1213
Debates: 11
Mps1213
-->
@FishChaser
Or how about this, what drugs are you interested in? I have a forum thread called “drug education though pharmacology” or something to that effect, I’ll tell you anything you want to know and can make “recommendations” that way. I’ll also tell you how to be safe with them. I have all night so ask away. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Did this site make you better at debating IRL?
Not really. (That's not intended to discredit this site at all.) I've been debating long before I joined this site--e.g. formally, informally, at school, at home etc. My interest in debate was probably born from my watching the adults in my life at an early age discuss among themselves a wide-range of topics. If anyone wondered the reason I disengage arguments with a "Have a nice day, sir" or "Enjoy your day, sir," I get that from my father. He never wastes time shouting or getting overly emotional with anyone. In fact, quite recently, my father and I were at a pharmacy, and some random woman wanted to argue with him about a joke he made (a joke which frankly did not concern her.) And unfailingly, my father states, "Ok. Have a nice day, Ma'am."

I suppose one could state I like debating in "real life" or online because I'm attempting to stress-test the consistency of my held positions. They've held up well so far.

18 days later

MonkeyBara
Debates: 1
MonkeyBara
-->
@Mps1213
damn you destroyd rm in this forum and in your debate
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@MonkeyBara
Then why did he end up apologising and making 0 points?
MonkeyBara
MonkeyBara
-->
@RationalMadman
he apologized for giving you shit which shows hes a bigger man than you and has a life unlike you who
says he doesnt care yet responds to every piece of critisism and he made multiple points tons of people
made good points but you just cant understand them cause you cant imagine a world where you arent correct

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MonkeyBara
Name the points he made regarding the thread's title please.

Enlighten me how wrong I am.
MonkeyBara
MonkeyBara
-->
@RationalMadman
i dont understand how people can even take you seriuosly you literally said "then why did he end up
apologising and making 0 points" those are your exact words you were talking about your argument
not the thread

DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
Did this site make you better at debating IRL?
Contrary to most posts here, this site has helped me propose arguments IRL.  I am not a debater by nature.  I enjoy laughter rather than strife.  I will usually take the hit to help create peace in a situation, but I have always wanted to be able voice my thoughts properly, to sound intelligent when I do and to have a calm demeaner when I am opposed.  This site has helped me figure a lot of those things out and others here have helped me tremendously, IwantRoosevelt included.

My friends were always argumentative growing up and I never enjoyed arguing just to argue.  I thought it to be worthless.  Nobody really cares what you think when you try to cram it down your their throats.  So I usually stayed away from it.  As I got older, I realized that I believed in things others around me did not and I had to defend myself.  My abilities to talk was never that great especially when I get put under pressure.  Same thing when I am angry, I clam up.  So a rash of opposing views from this site helps me understand myself and my abilities as a debater, better.

I have gotten bored from this constant bickering, like I said, I think it's worthless, but overall I like this site.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@MonkeyBara
Yes, I feel he made 0 points regarding this thread.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
"What made you interested in debate?"  How two people can look at, hear or listen to the exact same thing and see or hear two completely different things.
MonkeyBara
MonkeyBara
-->
@RationalMadman
So you didnt read anything he said then
Best.Korea
Debates: 271
Best.Korea
-->
@DavidAZ
I hate debating in real, since  there is no rules. People interrupt you in the middle of a sentence. People wont let you even get to the word. Also, they often lie and mock you instead of using arguments. They often use logical fallacies that are hard to correct in real time.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Best.Korea
Quite the opposite. IRL debates has me debate in specific blocks and makes me "cooperate" with people I am not familiar enough with. I quite enjoy the 1v1 atmosphere here.
Best.Korea
Debates: 271
Best.Korea
-->
@Intelligence_06
My problem with debating in real is that people tend to deny obvious truth to defend their argument. They also often use completely irrelevant arguments, appeal to popularity (happens every time).

Their line of thinking is limited to:
1. Most people do it, so I should do it
2. What about that person, he also does it
3. We should not be different from others
And so on.

They dont use any logic. Their entire reason for doing something is that someone else does it. They dont have a brain of their own.

And I am not talking just about people age 20 to 30. They have excuse for being stupid due to lack of experience.

I am talking about people at age 40 and older, who should have moved past appeal to popularity long time ago.

Funny enough, "Wise old man" is a myth from movies. Most of the old people are stupid as fuck. In fact, I met many old people. None of them were even close to being intelligent, let alone wise.

Brain decays over time.

You are either born smart and remain smart until you decay, either you are born stupid and stay stupid for the rest of your life.

Thats how life works.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Best.Korea
1. Most people do it, so I should do it
2. What about that person, he also does it
3. We should not be different from others
That is actually a valid argument from some perspectives if you think about it.