It appears Senator Tommy Tuberville is a big fat liar. This should help him as a Republican

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 84
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
The insider trading. Democrats are trying to end it.

After 50 years of bipartisan efforts to abuse insider trading, you should be very skeptical.
jamgiller
Debates: 10
jamgiller
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You made your own definition of corruption to relate specifically to Trump, used the no true Scotsman fallacy to discount Joe Manchin, presumed that huge political donations need to be motivated by specific requests of the politician to be corruption, and deflected from the Democratic politicians who have actually violated the STOCK Act.

You did not meaningfully address any of the points.
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@jamgiller
There are degrees of corruption.  “There is  corruption on both sides” argument is tiresome 

Manchin is the least Democrat of the Democrats. The other one, Sinema, became an independent. Because corruption is not celebrated in the Democratic Party.

The case you referenced for Cuomo is not made. It’s circumstantial 

jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Partisanship is tiresome. It is a fact that both major political parties in the US act mostly in the interests of their donors, not ordinary people. There are also politicians from both parties who lie and get involved in scandals. Just because the Republican party is worse, doesn't mean you should ignore what happens in the Democratic party. But even the news networks here are divided down partisan lines with MSNBC only trashing the Republicans and Fox only trashing the Democrats in general.

Also, as far as I know, Cuomo came under investigation for the issue I raised, which at least means it is more than circumstantial.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/19/andrew-cuomo-fbi-donors-nursing-homes
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@jamgiller
But even the news networks here are divided down partisan lines with MSNBC only trashing the Republicans and Fox only trashing the Democrats in general.
That’s not true. MSNBC will call out lies or misinformation told by either party.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@jamgiller
Cuomo came under investigation for the issue I raised,
Investigation by who exactly?

jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
The FBI. I added a link to a news article about it. 
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
got a free ride to go to his correspondence school after he left the navy, other people should have to pay for their tuition.
Military service is as much a free ride for education, as working for money and investing it in such an education.

I don't have a clue how you're confusing hard work with a "free ride."
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Barney
I don't have a clue how you're confusing hard work with a "free ride."
The free ride for guys our age, (GP and myself) came from tuition being free or nearly free for our generation. I wasn’t referencing military service/GI Bill benefits which is an earned benefit 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@jamgiller
“Reports that the FBI has taken an interest in the saga appeared in the New York digital news platform the City this week. The website claimed that agents had sought in recent weeks to interview members of Cuomo’s staff, and other state officials about the budget provision.“

That’s it? This is your big accusation. One source 2 years ago said that maybe the FBI took an interest in Cuomo and interviewed some of his staff?

Anything since then? If not, then you included an allegation of Democrat corruption that went no where.
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
No, my accusation was that Cuomo protected corporate healthcare officials from liability related to COVID after having received $1 million in donations from the healthcare industry. Which is true. Just like many politicians in the US, Cuomo acted in the interests of his big money donors.

The event happened a few years ago, so obviously the reporting would be from a few years ago. Also, investigations of politicians tend to involve interviews of their staff. Trump's associates have all been interviewed in the investigations into his wrongdoings. Also, there is no "maybe" in the article I shared; the article references an anonymous source. I'm sure you haven't had an issue with anonymous sources discussing investigations into Trump, right?
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
There is also a high bar to get a conviction of corruption in the US. Essentially one has to get evidence of a politician saying "I will do X for you if you give me money." Just because something doesn't end in a legal judgement of corruption, doesn't mean there's not a problem with Cuomo receiving $1 million in donations from corporate interests, and then later acting to protect them.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@jamgiller
The event happened a few years ago, so obviously the reporting would be from a few years ago.
JC, I’m saying what became of the investigation? Was there even an investigation? 

Also, there is no "maybe" in the article I shared
“Federal investigators are said to be looking into how a provision granting immunity to hospital and nursing home executives became a late addition to the state’s budget before it was passed last spring”

“Reports that the FBI has taken an interest in the saga appeared in the New York digital news platform the City this week. The website claimed that agents had sought in recent weeks to interview members of Cuomo’s staff, and other state officials about the budget provision”

These are NOT definitive statements. This is a maybe the FBI is investigating CUOMO. Did it happen? What was the outcome?

You need to use critical thinking skills here
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You need to stop cherry picking quotations from the article, and stop being so smug.

(Emphasis mine)
"The City quoted an anonymous source stating that the FBI was trying to establish “how it got in the state budget”, and noted that the agency was already conducting an inquiry into the Cuomo administration’s handling of the pandemic in nursing homes and the undercount of deaths, first reported last month by the Albany Times Union."

As I said, they reference an anonymous source.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@jamgiller
Well you can keep throwing stuff against the wall, but nothing is sticking 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@jamgiller
 the agency was already conducting an inquiry

Seems like this is an investigation.
b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@Greyparrot
Just curious, what would be an example of corruption through marriage?
How about an Englishman marrying an American just to get permanent residence, then living apart?
or,
Michael Jackson marrying Whatsit Presley, then exchanging assets tax-free during the divorce?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@b9_ntt
All of that is legal.
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@Greyparrot
All of that is legal.
That may be true, but I see it as corruption. Citizenship is supposed to mean something besides permission to live and work here. Marriage used to be a sacrament, and still is in some places. I'm an old man shouting, "You are ruining it!", and I know it's too late. I just can't help it sometimes.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@b9_ntt
Yes, and our government and our laws used to mean something as well. Not anymore.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@b9_ntt
Marriage used to be a sacrament, 
Oh really? The divorce rate has been about 50% of all marriages in this country for decades.

And a guy who cheated on all 3 of his wives repeatedly was voted for by the religious right in this country. So religion means nothing in this country. 

b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@Greyparrot
@IwantRooseveltagain
Well, we did better in 2020. Let's do it again next year.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@b9_ntt
Sure, but the point is the people in this country who think they are godly, the evangelicals,  voted for Trump.
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Sure, but the point is the people in this country who think they are godly, the evangelicals,  voted for Trump.
Yes, but we can't do anything about that. We have to sell our candidate to the youngsters and independents. It's not too late to stop Trump again, no matter what the early polls say. Also, if there's no recession before the election, Biden will be very hard to beat.