i could actually see an argument that trump committed no crimes

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 157
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@jamgiller
There is not a distinct difference between a law that prohibits something and a law that says something is illegal to perform.
😂😂😂😂

illegal means contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law, whereas prohibited means forbidden.

prohibition. n. forbidding an act or activity. A court order forbidding an act is a writ of prohibition, an injunction or a writ of mandate (mandamus) if against a public official.
jamgiller
Debates: 10
jamgiller
-->
@TWS1405_2
So illegal means forbidden, and prohibited also means forbidden. That's what I said. There is no distinction. Thanks for conceding that point! 😃

illegal means contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law, whereas prohibited means forbidden.

jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I don't think your conspiracies about the Democratic party stealing an election are comparable to any experience in 1930s Europe.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@jamgiller
I don't think your conspiracies about the Democratic party stealing an election are comparable to any experience in 1930s Europe.
I compared reactions to conspiracies. My point stands, there is such a thing as being insufficiently paranoid for your own good.
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
There's also such a thing as being too paranoid for anyone's good.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@jamgiller
So illegal means forbidden, and prohibited also means forbidden. That's what I said. There is no distinction. Thanks for conceding that point! 😃

illegal means contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law, whereas prohibited means forbidden.
You left out the rest of my comment giving very specific context that outlines the clear cut difference. Typical intellectual cowardice denialist move. 

Nevertheless, the difference is still observable in the quote above. One is very specifically prohibited “by law,” specifically criminal law, whereas the other is just merely forbidden. Again, convenient you left out the rest of my comment. Pure denialism. And it proves you lack reading comprehension as well. 
jamgiller
jamgiller
You're moving. The goal posts!

All along you have been distinguishing two kinds of laws, but now you claim only one thing is related to law and the other isn't?

WRONG!!! What I was asking for was the law(s) that said he (Trump) could not do X Y and ZI did not ask for the alleged law(s) he was being charged with allegedly violating. 

There is a distinct difference between laws that explicitly say a president cannot do a thing and laws that say what is wrong and is illegal to perform, which is punishable for all. 

Nevertheless, the difference is still observable in the quote above. One is very specifically prohibited “by law,” specifically criminal law, whereas the other is just merely forbidden. 
The rest of your previous comment also didn't give any context that outlined the difference, because you only provided the definition of one of the two words you were trying to contrast. The whole point of your comment was in the part I quoted.

It's also hilarious that you are so desperate to run away from my original criticism that you are trying this hard (and failing) to nitpick the use of some words.

How this all started was me pointing out that you are asking random people online to defend the indictments against Trump when it's totally inconsequential. The case will be decided in court, and the laws you are interested in are all written clearly in the indictment documents. Just read the indictment documents to understand, and if you still have your own theories as to how the case against Trump is not justified, go offer your legal services to the former President.
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@TWS1405_2
(don't want you to miss my comment above)
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@jamgiller
There's also such a thing as being too paranoid for anyone's good.
How can we know how much paranoia is ideal?
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
For example, it's too much when it leads a group of people to attack the Capitol because they have a conspiracy theory of a stolen election.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
 Pure denialism. And it proves you lack reading comprehension as well. 
I beginning to think it's all over between you and Dunning Kruger effect, and after Dunning Kruger did so much for you, you just throw it to the curb for a younger ad hominem, so so ungrateful.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@jamgiller
LOL!!! Yeah, that's what everyone says when they cannot refute the point made.

All along you have been distinguishing two kinds of laws, but now you claim only one thing is related to law and the other isn't?
Wrong. Still. 

Your whining about my asking another who asserts a claim to establish said claim is obscenely absurd. 

@n8nrgim
but if he had the authority to take or keep the documents in the first place
he didn't. He took the documents after he lost the election. He did not have a right to take them
That is a claim without any support. I replied asking he provide that support. Even though this is not the debates section, we are still having a discussion; and when you put forth certain spurious claims, you need to back them up. I asked he back them up. You bitching about that leads me to ask you what you asked me: what are you doing here if you?

WRONG!!! What I was asking for was the law(s) that said he (Trump) could not do X Y and ZI did not ask for the alleged law(s) he was being charged with allegedly violating. 

There is a distinct difference between laws that explicitly say a president cannot do a thing and laws that say what is wrong and is illegal to perform, which is punishable for all. 

Nevertheless, the difference is still observable in the quote above. One is very specifically prohibited “by law,” specifically criminal law, whereas the other is just merely forbidden. 
The rest of your previous comment also didn't give any context that outlined the difference, because you only provided the definition of one of the two words you were trying to contrast. The whole point of your comment was in the part I quoted.
There's that lack of reading comprehension

One word was defined? Really?

prohibition. n. forbidding an act or activity. A court order forbidding an act is a writ of prohibition, an injunction or a writ of mandate (mandamus) if against a public official.
Looks like two different words with different meanings within the context of this discussion. 

It's also hilarious that you are so desperate to run away from my original criticism that you are trying this hard (and failing) to nitpick the use of some words.
LOL!!! Psychological projection right there. 

TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@jamgiller
LOL!!! Yeah, that's what everyone says when they cannot refute the point made.

Wrong. Still. 

Your whining about my asking another who asserts a claim to establish said claim is obscenely absurd. 

@n8nrgim
but if he had the authority to take or keep the documents in the first place
he didn't. He took the documents after he lost the election. He did not have a right to take them
That is a claim without any support. I replied asking he provide that support. Even though this is not the debates section, we are still having a discussion; and when you put forth certain spurious claims, you need to back them up. I asked he back them up. You bitching about that leads me to ask you what you asked me: what are you doing here if you?

WRONG!!! What I was asking for was the law(s) that said he (Trump) could not do X Y and ZI did not ask for the alleged law(s) he was being charged with allegedly violating. 

There is a distinct difference between laws that explicitly say a president cannot do a thing and laws that say what is wrong and is illegal to perform, which is punishable for all. 

There's that lack of reading comprehension

One word was defined? Really?

Looks like two different words with different meanings within the context of this discussion. 

LOL!!! Psychological projection right there. 

DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
Quick question:

How any indictments has Trump been found guilty on yet?  Or are all of these still in trial?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@oromagi
you make the claim that criminal intent isn't a thing here, but i've heard several credible sources that say it is. you didn't do much to dispute my claim but went on a tangent of assumptions on your part that trump obviously committed crimes. here is a good source that says criminal intent is very much at the heart of all this, whether trump was being genuine or full of shit. 

jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@DavidAZ
The courtroom trials haven't begun yet. They are set to happen between the primaries and the general election.
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
Got it.  

The timing is peculiar though.
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@DavidAZ
The timing is not peculiar. It takes time to establish a legal case, hold the grand jury, etc., and the judge decides when to hold the trial.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2

@WillyB
What about all the other crimes? How come they’re not plausible
"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?" - Donald Trump 
Clearly someone doesn’t understand the term, or its meaning, that of hyperbole
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@jamgiller
For example, it's too much when it leads a group of people to attack the Capitol because they have a conspiracy theory of a stolen election.
That's a very specific standard, hardly useful for 1930s European Jews. Try it again, more abstract this time.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
you make the claim that criminal intent isn't a thing here, but i've heard several credible sources that say it is.
You the FBIs story on the data Hilary destroyed was: "It's illegal to do what she did, but she didn't mean any harm"

When a deep stater is the subject the baseless assertion that no criminal intent existed is enough to excuse you from laws that have no intent clause.

jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
We left the topic of 1930s Europe already, buddy. You asked, in very general terms:

You just don't like people bringing up Jan 6.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@jamgiller
We left the topic of 1930s Europe already, buddy. You asked, in very general terms:

I don't like trite answers with no roots in reason or principle to be utilized.

I'll answer for me and you can keep hiding under a rock.

The ideal level of paranoia is the amount that prevents great violation of rights than it causes.

Reason is man's only means of knowledge. We know what to fear by reason, and when the evidence of history both ancient and contemporary is rationally analyzed patterns of behavior both individual and collective emerge.

One of those patterns is that censorship is never done by people who can win the argument. Another is that when a series of so called coincidences always serve the interests of a particular community it's probably because of a conspiracy.

Want an example? The removal of native Americans. You know they never just said "Well we want this land so get out", always there was some series of events; some complicated story that ends in war that ends in land annexation.

The vast majority of the left-tribe now takes for granted this is a conspiracy, that is they have a conspiracy theory... and in this case they are right because logic rules other possibilities to be unlikely due to the number of simultaneous coincidences.

The conspiracy looks like this: Never waste a crises, use any excuse, distract from your crimes and emphasize the enemy's, never give up what you've taken.

Conspiracies don't have to be complicated. The truth of them often leak out all over the place. Hitler basically outlined his plan in a public book, and people still didn't believe.

You told me it must be terrifying to believe in all the conspiracies I do. Yes, the world is terrifying; and one of the most terrifying things about it is that people like you (for some reason I cannot comprehend) cannot learn from history. You put a barrier up in your mind between the past and present, thinking that somehow the forces which shaped history are no longer present.

Conspiracy has been ever present in our past. To believe it no longer exists is a terrifying act of voluntary ignorance.
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I'm not sure why you think I can't learn from history. The attack on the Capitol was unprecedented, not seen before in the history of the US. Sane people have learned from the history of negligible voter fraud in US elections to understand that the last election wasn't stolen. Your level of paranoia about the Democratic party is not preventing the violation of rights. On the other hand, you think Trump should be acquitted on the charge of violating people's rights to vote, which is in the latest indictment. Based on his conspiracy theory that you follow, he tried to disenfranchise millions of people by using fake electors to go against their chosen candidate, and by pressuring officials to overturn the election in his favor. And I don't care about your misinformed opinions about the indictment. As I said, if you know how to show Trump didn't commit any crimes, go defend him in court. He's always looking for legal defense.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@jamgiller
The attack on the Capitol was unprecedented
It is precedented by a hundred other attacks against perceived oppressors in dozens of other lands and centuries.

The fact that people compared it to 9/11 and not the storming of the bastile is proof of their narrow minded naivety.

Sane people have learned from the history of negligible voter fraud in US elections to understand that the last election wasn't stolen.
Sanity is defined by rationality, and the belief you describe is not rational.

Your level of paranoia about the Democratic party is not preventing the violation of rights.
 The deep state, not the democratic party. That's just a club.

And that is something you would have to convince me of.

I don't care about your misinformed opinions about the indictment.
The feeling is mutual. Make an argument if you want to debate.
jamgiller
jamgiller
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I'll create a debate on a resolution like "The 2020 US Presidential election was stolen from Donald Trump" or similar, if you want to be Pro.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@jamgiller
No votes, make a thread or better use the one that I've already linked to in this thread: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9073-if-you-believe-the-2020-election-was-rigged-im-calling-your-bluff?page=1&post_number=9
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty

I don't like trite answers with no roots in reason or principle to be utilized.

I'll answer for me and you can keep hiding under a rock.

The ideal level of paranoia is the amount that prevents great violation of rights than it causes.

Reason is man's only means of knowledge. We know what to fear by reason, and when the evidence of history both ancient and contemporary is rationally analyzed patterns of behavior both individual and collective emerge.

One of those patterns is that censorship is never done by people who can win the argument. Another is that when a series of so called coincidences always serve the interests of a particular community it's probably because of a conspiracy.

Want an example? The removal of native Americans. You know they never just said "Well we want this land so get out", always there was some series of events; some complicated story that ends in war that ends in land annexation.

The vast majority of the left-tribe now takes for granted this is a conspiracy, that is they have a conspiracy theory... and in this case they are right because logic rules other possibilities to be unlikely due to the number of simultaneous coincidences.

The conspiracy looks like this: Never waste a crises, use any excuse, distract from your crimes and emphasize the enemy's, never give up what you've taken.

Conspiracies don't have to be complicated. The truth of them often leak out all over the place. Hitler basically outlined his plan in a public book, and people still didn't believe.

You told me it must be terrifying to believe in all the conspiracies I do. Yes, the world is terrifying; and one of the most terrifying things about it is that people like you (for some reason I cannot comprehend) cannot learn from history. You put a barrier up in your mind between the past and present, thinking that somehow the forces which shaped history are no longer present.

Conspiracy has been ever present in our past. To believe it no longer exists is a terrifying act of voluntary ignorance.
I love it when whack job conspiracy theorists talk about reason, and tell us we can't comprehend, it's soooo cute I can hardly stand it.

I'll bet there's a unicorn on your lunchbox.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Sidewalker
I love it when whack job conspiracy theorists talk about reason, and tell us we can't comprehend, it's soooo cute I can hardly stand it.
Like when the left wing wack jobs try to tell us Trump is literally Hitler even as the greatest transfer of wealth is happening due to Covid and Climate mandates long before and after Trump is gone?

Enjoy the decline. Inflation is just a conspiracy theory. Democrats really care about poor people. So cute.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
Inflation is just a conspiracy theory
Trump caused the inflation with the “biggest tax cut ever” and his botched response to COVID that constricted supply of everything from oil to eggs.

And now inflation has already moderated thanks to Biden - with legislation like the CHIPS bill and his steady hand on the ship of state.

No doubt you are still praying for a recession, but it doesn’t look likely after all