The 12 Traits of Epistemic Power - Cultivating Epistemic Empowerment - The Tools of Reality

Author: Critical-Tim

Total: 40
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
The final trait, which is also the beginning:
I believe the final trait is less of a trait for understanding and more of cultivating a continuous cycle of curiosity that reinvigorates one's ambition to implement all of the previous ten. I believe continuous uncertainty to be an essential and final key that redirects back to the first trait being curiosity. Curiosity is meant to cultivate knowledge as it encourages individuals to explore new surroundings and gather a deeper connection with reality before trying to understand its complexities. Meanwhile continuous uncertainty encourages continuous curiosity as when one becomes certain our understanding is correct, we cease to seek knowledge and understanding, which discontinues curiosity. I believe that it's impossible for anyone to fully comprehend reality because no one can fully experience reality and all of its complexities, and no one can be certain that they are fully able to understand reality if their theory hasn't been tested on all of reality. They must be ready to adapt their understanding to the new knowledge and experience they gain along their journey. I believe the two golden traits are curiosity and continuous uncertainty, as they enclosed the rest of the traits in a sort of organized package. They seek to define the outlying goal of the rest that seem to further clarify and define what one is to seek with their curiosity and continuous uncertainty. I believe this to form a coherent ring in which curiosity and continuous uncertainty touch but enclosing the others in a neat ring-like fashion.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
I believe that the big mistake people make is not writing down ideas. Human mind often forgets, is unable to think of many things at once.

Also, I noticed that people are not much curious about their ideas being wrong or tested. People refuse to be uncertain about something which is important to them and which matters much. To me, being uncertain comes naturally as I know that almost every idea can be wrong.

We should test everything. We shouldnt blindly trust. Maybe we are wrong.

I think that uncertainty is important, maybe even more important than curiosity. To me, someone who doubts everything is more likely to explore everything.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
I truly hate forgetting thing I discover, I try as much as I can to write everything down, but of course I don't write everything that comes across my mind. I agree that it is highly important to write your thought down. This makes you focus on your idea as you write it and your subconscious gets a hold it. I often review my notes to promote intentional incubation, which is the process of stimulating the subconscious to create the "a ha moment" as it is called. I have an implementing this tactic since before I learned of its research or understood how it worked, but it was quite an interesting research of how to implement the subconscious mind.

One of these studies is by Carola Salvi and colleagues, who investigated how different problem-solving strategies influenced the accuracy of solutions across different types of problems. Another study is by Christopher Bergland, who examined the neuroscience of imagination and how aerobic exercise stimulates creative thinking.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
Yes, I too notice people don't care about their theories being wrong. I believe this to be one of the most common mistakes. It's very important to always consider the alternative view and ask yourself if it's perhaps true. It's even possible that the alternative you is true as well. This would enlighten you to the obvious error in judgment if both sides of the argument are true. I have had this happen before, but now I seek uncover this going forward.

I'm agree that continuous uncertainty is extremely important, as I consider the two golden traits to be curiosity and continuous uncertainty. However, I don't think continuous on certain tea would be much help without curiosity as a person whose continuously uncertain without making any discoveries or understanding of the world would remain ignorant. So between the two I would value curiosity more, but them both to be the most important. The sort of give you the outlying direction that the middle ten traits are striving for.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
Yep.

I've attempted to put words to paper, as it were.

Bur quickly come to the conclusion that 90 something per cent of modern philosophical literature is essentially restructured plagiarism.

Absolutely no offence intended by the way, I enjoy reading your postings.

In short, it's extremely difficult to be novel.

I would suggest that to truly understand the mind, one needs to truly understand the internal development and workings of the human computer.

What do you think?

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
I agree that much of modern philosophy is reconstructed plagiarism. However, I believe that all ideas are essentially already expressed in reality around us, we just haven't recognized them yet or put them to words. So many individuals think of an idea, and they forget it, then one writes it down and they are awarded the Nobel Prize. Then still another thinks of the idea first, writes it down and tries to start a company, but got no recognition because the timing was not right. It was at this point that I no longer consider the first person to discover philosophy as its rightful owner. Instead, I view that any idea constructed by a human is not entitled to it, except perhaps legally, but they are not entitled to it by means of recognition of their intrinsic qualities for being the first. I do not even consider who first articulated the idea, instead I recognize where it came from. All ideas and theories map the reality around us, as we are actively trying to understand it. It is for those reasons I recognize that our understanding is built upon the shared wisdom of those who preceded us, and I attribute my knowledge, as well as that of others, to the source (reality) rather than any specific entity.

I also agree that it is essential to understand the mind in order to fully understand reality as we are a part of reality, and we must understand every part of reality to understand reality completely. We must not just understand ourselves, such as in the trait self-reflection, but also understand others, such as the traits empathy and effective communication. Many people think humanity and reality are different and when they seek to understand reality to its fullest, they overlook humans. Instead, they should recognize themselves and others as a part of reality and in order to understand reality to its fullest they must understand all of its components. This is why I seek to not only understand the world but myself and others.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
The more one thinks about existence and perception, the more intense ones frustration becomes at the self limiting nature of internality.

Simultaneous considering the seemingly impossible nature of energy, matter and existence.

Reality is perhaps best defined by the matrix of thought and communication with others.

I wonder if a future independent A.I. will share the same matrix or create it's own, and a separate reality.

Perhaps I digress to much.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
It's definitely possible to become frustrated when we realize that a completely comprehensive understanding of reality is unattainable, but I believe that with a proper mentality we will understand reality more than we need. The intention of understanding in the first place is our drive to better navigate reality and live a more successful life. It isn't necessary to completely comprehend reality to live a better life, but just to understand reality more than we did before, which enhances our ability to make better decisions. By doing this I'm always satisfied with learning something new yet dissatisfied because I know there is more to learn. It's sort of like being glad that your life is going to be better in the future but recognizing that it can still be better and continuing to seek a better understanding. It is in this way that I am never frustrated by my inability to comprehend reality to its fullest but instead delighted that my future can continuously grow better than it is presently.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
Therein lies another discussion concerning the nature of the self, expectation, the reality of the self and future uncertainty.

And I suppose, future inevitability.

I'm guessing you're younger than me.....Because for me, ongoing contentment is my necessity, rather than a better future.

Because at 63 the future can be quite a bleak prospect.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
Yes, I am in my 20s. However, I would be interested in finding out whether my view of greater understanding will continue in my older age. It seems that with Jordan Peterson has retained quite an inquisitive mind in his old age.