Rare personal post

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 14
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
I have never posted anything personal, to any depth, on this site.

I think, I will make an exception today.

I work with a lot of troubled teens yearly, mostly with great success, and little tragedy.
2 days ago, a troubled 20 year old, my roommate's cousin, who used to visit us daily for support, battling alcohol, died tragically in a car accident.
This really hit me hard, and I grieve for the loss in this world of a young person who never got a second chance due to cruel fate.

If anyone wants to leave a supporting comment, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
Thats horrible what happened. Life doesnt treat everyone the same. Some people live very good, some have a very bad life from their childhood. Not everyone has equal chance.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Greyparrot
You have my condolences. Unfortunately, these kinds of tragedies happen often, but it's rare that we are so personally affected by them. I have no doubt that your work with troubled youth has had a substantial impact on a lot of lives. I'm sure he was among those that benefitted from your efforts.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
I'm so sorry for your loss,  I hope you can find comfort and strength in positive memories of your friend.  My heart goes out to you and I and am sending heartfelt sympathy for all who knew him. 

n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
i'm sorry for your loss. i dont know if it helps or hurts, but like the orthodox, i think we all experience God's love on the other side. we might not all like everything God's love does to us, but we experience it fully, like a father reuniting with a son. 
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
Shit like this just sucks. Transmitting a virtual hug to you and his family, and I would shake the hand of the man who did his best to save him.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
Though it is with close friends and family of the man,
That greatest empathy is felt, those who knew him, his good and bad times,
By knowing you, hearing of your loss, his fate, I feel pain myself, sympathy.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Very sorry to hear :/
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Greyparrot
Having known plenty of dead people, I can say that you should take it easy on yourself however you grieve; it’s quite unpredictable.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Be strong, man. We know it's hard but life goes on. This teen is having a good rest after all the suffering he went through but you're still here to help other teens that really need you.

Hope you open your wings and start to fly again.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
Did he crash into that tree?
ebuc
ebuc
..." Recognize When Your Teen Is in Trouble

..Knowing when your teen is in trouble is an essential key to unlocking the factors contributing to the disturbing changes in your teen. Professionals who work with teens describe troubling teen behavior as acting out, meaning this behavior is the outward expression of underlying issues that need attention.

..Troubled behavior in teens takes many forms. Often, underlying mental health issues such as depression, defiance, and risky behavior. Sometimes, teens turn to drugs or alcohol in an attempt to numb their pain. 

..Underneath your teen's angry or oppositional behavior is likely a lot of pain. Recognizing this can help you empathize with your teen's needs. "...

18 days later

Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Greyparrot
Rewatching some Dr Who I was reminded of this. If you haven’t seen the classic series 5 episode Vincent and The Doctor, please take the time.

In essence:
Amy Pond : We didn't make a difference at all.
The Doctor : I wouldn't say that. The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.
[hugs Amy]
The Doctor : The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant. And we definitely added to his pile of good things.

You added to his pile of good things.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Barney
I'd like to think his short life added to ours.