Age of consent

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 25
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
On one hand, most Americans are hypocrites on the age of consent (if they are Christain).

Christain Americans: 13 YEAR OLDS CAN'T CONSENT!!

Me: Don't you worship a God that had sex with a 13 year old girl (Mary)?  I mean, pedophilia or atheism, you decide bud.

But also if young people are allowed to legally consent to sex (Korea was the first person I met that defended pedophillia, so it's a new view to me and I kinda have to play Devils Advocate because when virtually everybody agrees with you, you don't come up with as good of arguments as someone that is in the ideological minority because the ideological minority thinks about the majority's positions way more than the other way around).  A flat earther can make better arguments justifying a flat earth than a random person that thinks the earth is spherical because the flat earther thought about their position way more.  I believe the earth is spherical, but I don't think I could win a debate with a flat earther on the earth's shape because they've thought their position on this issue through much more than I could.  The same thing would apply for pro pedophilia people vs your typical anti pedophilia person.

Korea's argument: Children can consent.

Me response: What about drunk people?  Can they consent?

His response: No; drunk people might regret the sex they have.

I don't think this is a good response.  If sober adults consent to have sex and enjoy it the full time, but the woman regrets it an hour later (lets say she was a virgin and her hymen broke, so she regrets it an hour later), the man is not a rapist.  If the woman gets an unintended pregnancy, she regrets that sex.  But if a drunk person regrets sex 5 hours later, it's viewed as rape done by the sober party.  So I don't think the fear of sexual regret is a good enough reason to charge someone with rape.

So either drunk people can consent (not Korea's position if I understand it correctly) or children can't consent (not Korea's position if I understand it correctly), or there is some other reason why drunk people can't consent but children can with Korea's logic.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Maybe many Christians don't think Mary was 13 when she conceived.
Maybe many Christians don't think God had 'sex with Mary.
Best.Korea
Debates: 273
Best.Korea
In some countries, age of consent is 13 or 14.

Its just that age difference is treated as important factor in most places.

Two 14 year olds having sex is seen as different from 30 year old having sex with 14 year old.

Thats not going to change any time soon. Actually, age of consent is mostly increasing, not decreasing.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@TheUnderdog
 A flat earther can make better arguments justifying a flat earth than a random person that thinks the earth is spherical because the flat earther thought about their position way more.  I believe the earth is spherical, but I don't think I could win a debate with a flat earther on the earth's shape because they've thought their position on this issue through much more than I could.  The same thing would apply for pro pedophilia people vs your typical anti pedophilia person.
Total copout excuse. 

Sophistry is no reason to allow another dumbass to win a debate that is so patently obviously WRONG!!!! 

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
On one hand, most Americans are hypocrites on the age of consent (if they are Christain).
They don't have to be Christian. The disparate ages of consent among states would indicate that.

Me: Don't you worship a God that had sex with a 13 year old girl (Mary)?
God didn't have sex with Mary. Which Bible/Torah/Qu'ran have you read?

I mean, pedophilia or atheism, you decide bud.
Are those really the only options?

But also if young people are allowed to legally consent to sex (Korea was the first person I met that defended pedophillia, so it's a new view to me and I kinda have to play Devils Advocate because when virtually everybody agrees with you, you don't come up with as good of arguments as someone that is in the ideological minority because the ideological minority thinks about the majority's positions way more than the other way around).
I don't think this is necessarily true, though it's not without some merit in isolated instances.

A flat earther can make better arguments justifying a flat earth than a random person that thinks the earth is spherical because the flat earther thought about their position way more.  I believe the earth is spherical, but I don't think I could win a debate with a flat earther on the earth's shape because they've thought their position on this issue through much more than I could.  The same thing would apply for pro pedophilia people vs your typical anti pedophilia person.
What?!

Korea's argument: Children can consent.

Me response: What about drunk people?  Can they consent?

His response: No; drunk people might regret the sex they have.

I don't think this is a good response. 
Neither do I.

So I don't think the fear of sexual regret is a good enough reason to charge someone with rape.
Is it your position, then, that emotional ramifications as a consequence of coitus does not substantiate a predatory, and most important, coercive element in the determination of rape? I agree.

So either drunk people can consent (not Korea's position if I understand it correctly) or children can't consent (not Korea's position if I understand it correctly), or there is some other reason why drunk people can't consent but children can with Korea's logic.
If I were to take a guess, I suppose that the position maintains that the "diminished reasoning" as a result of inebriation nullifies valid consent. Of course, this is indeed hypocritical when one can easily put forth that children have "diminished reasoning" as a result of their physical and emotional immaturity. Just to point out: I maintain neither.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TheUnderdog
Korea's various definitions of consent contradict each other.

Regret is always possible for any age, any knowledge level, any impairment degree. As you correctly pointed out.

The question is not when consent is possible but when a contextually intellectual superior is responsible for his or her inferiors. Is a sober man responsible for his interactions with a drunk man? Is an adult responsible for his interactions with a child? Is a modern human responsible for his interactions with a neolithic person (sent through time or something)?

The above conception is capable of matching most of the majority's moral conclusions without the contradictions introduced by trying to stretch and tear the concept of consent and rape till they fit.

In other words you can rape a drunk person if they in their impaired state don't consent. If they do consent it is not rape; but that does not mean there was no moral error.

The simple admission which cures this confusion is: Just because it's not rape doesn't mean it's not wrong. All rape is wrong, but some non-rape is also wrong.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Maybe many Christians don't think Mary was 13 when she conceived.

Maybe many Christians don't think God had 'sex with Mary.
Well, Christians believe Mary was impregnated by God, and a big reason why women are less likely to consent to sex is they are worried about pregnancy (which is why when the man has a vasectomy or the woman gets her tubes tied or uterus removed, the woman is way more likely to be sex positive scientifically speaking).  But honestly, it's pretty good at least women are gatekeepers to sex; if there were no gatekeepers to sex, it would mean there would be either (so many kids made out of wedlock (or abortions, neither of which is good)) and virtually every person would have so many STIs in their body.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Best.Korea
 In some countries, age of consent is 13 or 14.
This may be true, but in America, most Christains don't want to lower the age of consent to 13 (so they believe violating this is child rape).  So by their standards, they worship a child rapist.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@TWS1405_2
Sophistry is no reason to allow another dumbass to win a debate that is so patently obviously WRONG!!!! 
I think flat earthers are wrong about earth's shape.  But, they know my arguments better than I know theirs, and earth's shape isn't really a topic I'm interested in studying.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Athias
They don't have to be Christian. The disparate ages of consent among states would indicate that.
Every state in the US has an age of consent at least 16.

God didn't have sex with Mary. Which Bible/Torah/Qu'ran have you read?
He got her pregnant, and the fear of pregnancy is why women tend to not be as sex positive as men are.

I mean, pedophilia or atheism, you decide bud.
Are those really the only options?
I guess non Christianity theism is an option.  But I don't see how someone can be against pedophilia and worship a pedophile.

What?!
Flat earthers thought more about the shape of the earth than regular people did; so flat earthers would make better arguments, even if those arguments are wrong.

I suppose that the position maintains that the "diminished reasoning" as a result of inebriation nullifies valid consent. Of course, this is indeed hypocritical when one can easily put forth that children have "diminished reasoning" as a result of their physical and emotional immaturity. Just to point out: I maintain neither.
Your position is that children can't consent (I would assume), which was one of my options.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The above conception is capable of matching most of the majority's moral conclusions without the contradictions introduced by trying to stretch and tear the concept of consent and rape till they fit.
This is assuming the government knows the majority consensus.  I don't think they did a poll among their voters that asked them:

Check off all the following that you think are too young to consent:

Under 13 years old
13 years old
14 years old
15 years old
16 years old
17 years old
18 years old
19 years old
20 years old
21 years old

And some places disagree on the age of consent (even ideologically similar places).  In NY, the age of consent is 18; in CT, it's 16.  They both vote blue by comparable margins, but their age of consent is about as different as you can be by the standards of the US.  Do we let the whole country decide the age of consent, the individual states, the individual counties, the voting districts (which change in area with time because people move), the precincts, the individual people (which would basically mean there would be no age of consent because if even one person says it's okay to have sex with 8 year olds, everyone else is banned from doing it if they vote for a higher age, but the person who voted for no age of consent would be allowed to do that even if they personally wouldn't have sex with an 8 year old, but they were fine with other people doing it).  If you let precincts decide, all the pedophiles could move to some random location in the US and have those precincts have no age of consent; they could do the same thing for a county with small amounts of people; it's harder to do that for a district, state, or nation because you would need about 700,000 pedophiles to settle all with each other in the same voting district or county so they could make their age of consent for their county 0.

But people disagree on the age of consent.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
Every state in the US has an age of consent at least 16.
I know. But that isn't necessarily because of Christians. I would state that it's more a coalition of different political factions which included so-called Christian denominations (namely Roman Catholic women.)

He got her pregnant, and the fear of pregnancy is why women tend to not be as sex positive as men are.
Gabriel told Mary that she will conceive a son who she will name Jesus. There's no indication that Mary acquiesced; She accepted because she was a child of Israel. Jesus is a descendant of David, as were both his parents Joseph and Mary, and his siblings. Again, I ask: which Bible/Torah/Qu'Ran have you read?

But I don't see how someone can be against pedophilia and worship a pedophile.
Substantiate that God has a sexual attraction and/or has had sexual contact with children ages under 11. Note Mary's age isn't explicitly mentioned.

Flat earthers thought more about the shape of the earth than regular people did; so flat earthers would make better arguments, even if those arguments are wrong.
I'm just trying to understand the analogous argument you're attempting. Pro-pedophilia individuals tend to be more versed or educated in what?

Your position is that children can't consent (I would assume), which was one of my options.
That's not my position at all. Only that I understand the position put forth by Best.Korea even if it's ultimately hypocritical.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
In NY, the age of consent is 18; in CT, it's 16.
In New York, the age of consent is 17.

They both vote blue by comparable margins, but their age of consent is about as different as you can be by the standards of the US.
Because the statutory division known as age of consent is arbitrary.

Do we let the whole country decide the age of consent, the individual states, the individual counties, the voting districts (which change in area with time because people move), the precincts, the individual people (which would basically mean there would be no age of consent...)
Let the individuals decide. When and how one behaves one's own body should not be subject to public referendum.

But people disagree on the age of consent.
Because the statutory division known as age of consent is arbitrary.
Best.Korea
Debates: 273
Best.Korea
-->
@Athias
@TheUnderdog
That's not my position at all. Only that I understand the position put forth by Best.Korea even if it's ultimately hypocritical.
I dont feel like discussing this topic anymore. I got a bit tired of it, since I already had over 5 debates on it, some with over 200,000 characters. I understand that this forum topic was probably directed at me, but I am just not interested in this topic anymore. I want to move on to something else and not think about this for quite some time.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
This isn't meant as sarcastic or dismissive,
But I can't tell what article in particular you're referring to, as that is a bing 'search,
I 'do see a lot of articles that argue she was a teenager,
Due to 'some but not all age of marriage practices.

"Ancient women, who survived childhood mortality, received good and adequate nutrition, did not work hard and escaped death during childbirth could live fairly long lives. Girls started procreation after marriage, usually at 15 years, had on average seven children, childbearing lasted 14–21 or more years and could happen at the age of 35 or more years. Breastfeeding, usually with contraceptive effect, continued for 2–3 years. Limited actual facts, written evidence and findings, but several hints, assumptions and logical conclusions from secular texts, sacred books, narratives and myths suggest the possibility of late childbearing in the Mediterranean and Near-Eastern ancient world, particularly for the Jews."

But the Bible doesn't state her age as far as I'm aware.

I 'might take the number of articles that argue teenager as telling of Christian belief,
But Christians vary,
And the internet is not clear looking glass, but warped.

"No historical document tells us how old she actually was at the time of the Nativity."

"When a future bride had been chosen for a young man, either by his parents or more rarely by himself, there followed a period of one year called “betrothal.” During this time the couple still lived apart while delicate, often-protracted negotiations occurred between the families regarding dowries, etc. The groom or his family paid the dowry to the father of the bride as compensation for the loss of a working member of his household. It was also understood that some money should be set aside for the woman to protect her in the event of her husband’s premature death.

Marriage ceremonies – At the conclusion of the betrothal period, when all the agreements were signed, the wedding could occur. Weddings of that time typically extended over five to seven days. Autumn was the best time for marriages because the harvest was in, the vintage was over, minds were free, and hearts were at rest. It was a season when the evenings were cool, making it pleasant to sit up late at night. In small villages, the entire community would usually gather to celebrate."

. . .

"Sarah was childless until she was 90 years old. God promised Abraham that she would be “a mother of nations” (Genesis 17:16) and that she would conceive and bear a son, but Sarah did not believe. Isaac, born to Sarah and Abraham in their old age, was the fulfillment of God’s promise to them."

Does such mean that God had sex with Sarah?
I wouldn't say so myself.

Of Mary,
"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."

From my view, that's pretty vague,
Maybe there's more religious texts that talk more about it, but I'm not deeply learned.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I'm not sure what 'Christians really think,
No polls popped up in my searches,
Though I'm sure different communities have had/have different beliefs.
. . .

God is a bit incoherent a concept for me,
Not that it's incoherent to other people.

Does God have DNA? Semen?
Are we not 'all children of God in the Bible?
Is not 'everything of God's creation, though roots and family trees grow, and many who argue of free will, say people take minds and paths of their own, down the line.

Bibles speaks of miracles,
'Actions by God,
Speaking, fire, salt,
Though eh, 'were I a Christian, I'd-

Nah, I can't be,
I don't comprehend the idea of an afterlife,
Or existence immaterial,
Heh, or objective morality. . .

Though I 'still can't account for consciousness, these feelings and ego,
Sure, way it is, material and evolution, handwaves some atheists,
Too dismissive, I find them,
Though I 'might think such conclusion the most likely,
It's not something we can 'handwave.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Athias
I know. But that isn't necessarily because of Christians. I would state that it's more a coalition of different political factions which included so-called Christian denominations (namely Roman Catholic women.)
If America was founded by atheists and our age of consent was 16, it wouldn't be hypocrisy.  But since our country was founded by Christians and our age of consent is higher, it is hypocrisy because those Christians worship a pedophille.

She accepted because she was a child of Israel. 
Israel never reproduced.  It is a piece of land.

Jesus is a descendant of David, as were both his parents Joseph and Mary, and his siblings.
What's the relevance?  Jesus is descended from a rape victim.

Substantiate that God has a sexual attraction and/or has had sexual contact with children ages under 11. Note Mary's age isn't explicitly mentioned.
claims her age was 12 to 14.

Pro-pedophilia individuals tend to be more versed or educated in what?
Their idea that the age of consent should be reduced.  The more anti status quo and the more despised your position is by most of society, the more the people who have those views have to think about those views.  It's why a Trump supporter in Manhattan can come up with better arguments for Trump than a Trump supporter in Alabama; they've thought of those views more throughout their lives.

That's not my position at all
So then if you think children can consent, what about drunk people?  Can they consent?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Best.Korea
That's fine.  I understand people getting tired.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
"Sarah was childless until she was 90 years old. God promised Abraham that she would be “a mother of nations” (Genesis 17:16) and that she would conceive and bear a son, but Sarah did not believe. Isaac, born to Sarah and Abraham in their old age, was the fulfillment of God’s promise to them."

Does such mean that God had sex with Sarah?
I wouldn't say so myself.
I thought Abraham had sex with Sarah in that story.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
If America was founded by atheists and our age of consent was 16, it wouldn't be hypocrisy.  But since our country was founded by Christians and our age of consent is higher,
America was founded by Witches and Wizards, a.k.a. Free Masons. Christianity is just being perverted and used as a cover.

it is hypocrisy because those Christians worship a pedophille.
Again, substantiate that God is a pedophile.

Israel never reproduced.  It is a piece of land.
I did not intend to insinuate that that Israel--the land itself--birthed or sired her. Only that she was a product of its culture.

What's the relevance? 
Because she was a child of Israel, which means she knew Jesus would be born from her line or other descendants of David, including Joseph.

Jesus is descended from a rape victim.
Substantiate that Mary was raped.

I really wish those who reference links would take the time to read their sources.

While unproven, some apocryphal accounts state that at the time of her betrothal to Joseph, Mary was 12–14 years old.[1] Her age during her pregnancy has varied up to 17 in apochyphal sources.[105][106] In a large part, apocryphal texts are historically unreliable.[107] According to ancient Jewish custom, Mary technically could have been betrothed at about 12,[108] but most Jewish women in Palestine of her time married during their late teens or early twenties.[109]

Their idea that the age of consent should be reduced.  The more anti status quo and the more despised your position is by most of society, the more the people who have those views have to think about those views.  It's why a Trump supporter in Manhattan can come up with better arguments for Trump than a Trump supporter in Alabama; they've thought of those views more throughout their lives.
I suppose I've thought about my positions for ages then. *Which happens to be true.* But I wouldn't attest that to my necessarily being "anti status quo."

So then if you think children can consent,
Not all children can consent. At a certain point it doesn't matter--since they can't communicate assent or dissent, then everything done to or with them is done without consent.

what about drunk people?  Can they consent?
Depends. But unless forcibly inebriated, the responsibility for drunken decisions befalls those who choose to get drunk.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
And I thought people usually took that story as a sign of Gods intervention,
A miracle, for a couple so long not having children, to have kids in their old age,
Miracle by the act of God, some might view it,
Nothing impossible for God.

17Abraham fell facedown. Then he laughed and said to himself, “Can a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Can Sarah give birth at the age of ninety?” 18And Abraham said to God, “O that Ishmael might live under Your blessing!”

Sarah Laughs at the Promise
9“Where is your wife Sarah?” they asked.
“There, in the tent,” he replied.
10Then the LORD said, “I will surely return to you at this time next year, and your wife Sarah will have a son!”
Now Sarah was behind him, listening at the entrance to the tent. 11And Abraham and Sarah were already old and well along in years; Sarah had passed the age of childbearing. 12So she laughed to herself, saying, “After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?”
13And the LORD asked Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Can I really bear a child when I am old?’ 14Is anything too difficult for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you—in about a year—and Sarah will have a son.”

@NoOneInParticular
I often wonder who thumbs up some comments.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TheUnderdog
This is assuming the government knows the majority consensus.
What I said has nothing to do with the government. I'm saying that many (but not all) of the the common moral conclusions about certain sexual situations (and anything to do with informed consent really) are correct but the reasons for those conclusions are wrong (bad argument due to incoherent concepts).

And some places disagree on the age of consent (even ideologically similar places).  In NY, the age of consent is 18; in CT, it's 16.  They both vote blue by comparable margins, but their age of consent is about as different as you can be by the standards of the US.  Do we let the whole country decide the age of consent, the individual states, the individual counties, the voting districts (which change in area with time because people move), the precincts, the individual people (which would basically mean there would be no age of consent because if even one person says it's okay to have sex with 8 year olds, everyone else is banned from doing it if they vote for a higher age, but the person who voted for no age of consent would be allowed to do that even if they personally wouldn't have sex with an 8 year old, but they were fine with other people doing it).  If you let precincts decide, all the pedophiles could move to some random location in the US and have those precincts have no age of consent; they could do the same thing for a county with small amounts of people; it's harder to do that for a district, state, or nation because you would need about 700,000 pedophiles to settle all with each other in the same voting district or county so they could make their age of consent for their county 0.
Yes what you've just stumbled upon is the fact that democracy and objective morality have nothing to do with each other because the mere act of having an opinion doesn't make you correct no matter how many of you there are.

If you can't answer "why" without arbitrage you don't really know.

The summary of debates I have had previously have utterly convinced me that the underlying concept of relevance when "informed consent" is invoked is relative responsibility due to anticipated but uncommunicated harm. "consent" is an excuse given because it is simple and they cannot articulate the more complicated moral engine in the mental fog.

Choose any number of examples and I can show you the pattern.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Athias
America was founded by Witches and Wizards, a.k.a. Free Masons. Christianity is just being perverted and used as a cover.
That’s not accurate.  Christainity wouldn’t be nearly as common here.

Again, substantiate that God is a pedophile.
He impregnated a girl that in the modern day is underage.  Change the definition for the age of consent to 13, and God is no longer legally a pedophille.

But unless forcibly inebriated, the responsibility for drunken decisions befalls those who choose to get drunk
So if you choose to get drunk and agree to sex when your drunk, you would want that to be legal?
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
Christainity wouldn’t be nearly as common here.
Hence, my point about Christianity being perverted and used as a veneer.

He impregnated a girl
Without any sexual contact.

that in the modern day is underage.
Yes, a "modern day" arbitrary division. What law would have made Mary capable of being betrothed at her age, but incapable of consenting to sexual contact?

Change the definition for the age of consent to 13, and God is no longer legally a pedophille.
A little more than a century ago, the age of consent in the United States--throughout most states--was 12.

So if you choose to get drunk and agree to sex when your drunk, you would want that to be legal?
It's not a matter of "legal." No one else is responsible for one's own drunken decisions. Unless one is under duress, or is being coerced, one is responsible for one's own decisions, inebriated or not; legal or not.

30 days later

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Athias
Hence, my point about Christianity being perverted and used as a veneer.
Alright; so you don't like Christianity.

Without any sexual contact.
The main reasons why women don't consent to sex is the fear of pregnancy and STIs.

A little more than a century ago, the age of consent in the United States--throughout most states--was 12.
So then it shouldn't have gotten raised if it meant God would be a child rapist by the new definition.  The people then should have either denounced Christainiy because then God would be a child rapist or kept the age of consent 12 so God is not a child rapist.

No one else is responsible for one's own drunken decisions. Unless one is under duress, or is being coerced, one is responsible for one's own decisions, inebriated or not; legal or not.
I've never been drunk, but if all the people who have been drunk argue that drunk people can't consent to sex, I got to believe them.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
Alright; so you don't like Christianity.
I don't subscribe to a particular religion; that doesn't result in my not liking or disliking Christianity. In fact, I tend to defend Christianity especially in the face of non sequiturs and strawman arguments (a consequence of misinterpreted Bible quotes) which are wagered typically by atheists.

The main reasons why women don't consent to sex is the fear of pregnancy and STIs.
I think there's a bit more to it than that, e.g. sense of personal space.

So then it shouldn't have gotten raised if it meant God would be a child rapist by the new definition.
God is not a "child-rapist" by the new definition especially considering that he did not engage in any sexual contact with Mary.

The people then should have either denounced Christainiy because then God would be a child rapist or kept the age of consent 12 so God is not a child rapist.
Your entire argument is predicated on an arbitrary definition of the State.

I've never been drunk, but if all the people who have been drunk argue that drunk people can't consent to sex, I got to believe them.
Unfortunately, I have, and trust me, no one else was responsible for my actions.