Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
Topic Description:
Quotes, quotes, and more quotes.
You can make your own ones too.

We will cover the following questions to get started:
What are your favorite quotes?
Why do those quotes impact you?
What would your famous quotes be if you became a famous thinker?

Please help productively refine my and others' understanding by following these guidelines:
  • NUMBER 1: Please ask questions and only state a dispute with an example to improve my understanding, this forum is intended to educate with an interactive environment.
  • Be open-minded and curious. Do not dismiss or ignore answers that challenge your reality or beliefs. Try to embrace them as opportunities to learn and grow. Try to approach them with logical, critical, and professional minds, and seek to understand the evidence and reasoning behind them.
  • Be empathetic and respectful. Do not judge or ridicule other people’s perspectives or experiences. Try to comprehend their viewpoints and appreciate their contributions to the larger and more intricate reality. Try to see how different perspectives can form a more complex and complete picture of the world.
  • Be honest and responsible. Always prioritize speaking the truth and avoid making definitive claims when uncertain. Use qualifiers like "about," "I saw," "I think," or "I believe" to convey information accurately.
  • Be clear about the source of your knowledge when sharing with others. This fosters a truthful and respectful environment for discussions.
  • Be relevant and on-topic. Do not deviate from the main topic of the forum. Do not post irrelevant or off-topic comments and links that aren't productive to the questions being discussed.
  • Be constructive and creative. Do not simply criticize or reject other people’s ideas. Try to offer positive feedback, suggestions, or alternatives.
  • Be clear and concise. Try to use clear and accurate language as much as possible. To have effective communication it is necessary to speak understandably.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
Here are my three favorite quotes that I have formulated:

1. "Life is only precious because it's finite."
    • This quote emphasizes that our awareness of life's impermanence demonstrates its value. The limited time we have makes life precious.
  2. "Life is meaningful through our pursuit of aspirations."
    • This quote suggests that life gains meaning through our pursuit of personal goals and aspirations, which give direction and purpose.
  3. "Only when you truly live will you truly die."
    • This quote reflects the idea that the more we live and value life the more we will appreciate our time before death, which will come much sadder yet fulfilled. Meanwhile a person who never truly lives will never truly die, since he was never alive to begin with.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
The idea with this forum is to remain concise and to the point. How much can you say with how few of words?

Not abrupt, but powerfully captivating.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
I've always loved this quote from The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway,

“But man is not made for defeat… A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
"All we really have, is now"

"Dear McGuyver,Enclosed is a straw, a paperclip, and a rubberband. Please save my dog."

"ever dance with the devil under the pale moonlight? i always ask that of all my prey"

"to be great is to be misunderstood"

"i think, therefore i am"

"where ever you go, there you are"

“To be is to do”—Socrates“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra

it is what it is

just sayin

whatever is whatever

"i dont know about all that"

by reading this, you have just given me brief control of your mind..

"Every choice is a renunciation."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.. that way, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.." 

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you..

"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin."-Darwin

"Reality continues to ruin my life."-calvin, calvin and hobbes

"Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time." -John Lennon

"There is no blue without yellow and without orange." - Vincent Van Gogh

"Color is overrated. In restricting a piece to black, white, and the grades in between, an artist misses the meat of human emotion, suffering, and conflict. There are no virginal hues hinting love at twilight; no pastel dabs softening winter’s steely blow, no warming rays of dawn. Just two non-colors stating exactly what the creator intends: a raw, revealing look at the human condition."

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uninevtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe.

to error is human. to forgive... divine.

"fortune favors the brave"

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

"i always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. then i realized, i was somebody"

"life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?"-martin luther king

we can easily forgive children for being afraid of the dark, but the true tragedy is when grown men become afraid of the light ~Plato

To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

a man remains wise as long as he seeks wisdom. the minute he thinks he's found it, he becomes a fool. -talmud

"What is Truth?" -Pilate

seek first the kingdom of God.

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" -Romans 8

God has a plan

chuck norris doesn't sleep... he waits
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
I've always loved this quote from The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway,
“But man is not made for defeat… A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”
What does this quote mean to you, and how has it impacted your actions?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@n8nrgim
If you could choose your favorite quote, what would it be? If not, which are your three favorites?
Furthermore, what do they mean to you, and how have they impacted your actions?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
Everything that occurs within a universe at any given moment is naturally occurring...Zed
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
“Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering...”
― Fyodor Dostoevsky

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
"There is the heat of Love, the pulsing rush of Longing, the lover’s whisper, irresistible—magic to make the sanest man go mad."
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
Everything that occurs within a universe at any given moment is naturally occurring...Zed
I like it! I agree that anything that operates within the universe is indeed a part of nature.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
"There is the heat of Love, the pulsing rush of Longing, the lover’s whisper, irresistible—magic to make the sanest man go mad."
That is an interesting quote. Do you have a source, or did you create it yourself?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Dr.Franklin
“Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering...”
― Fyodor Dostoevsky
He was an excellent philosopher. What does this quote mean to you, and how do you believe it has impacted your actions?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
"Knowledge hinders imagination." - Myself

I believe this is logically straightforward, as those who don't know, wonder. It also explains why children have more imagination than adults.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
Its by Homer from ancient Greece.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Critical-Tim
Suffering is good for us. Depression comes with a wandering mind. Suffering and genuinely working on something straining and hard is extremely vital to us.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Dr.Franklin
That is quite insightful. It seems that a mind with nothing to do becomes self-destructive, but suffering in the world enables us to have a clear goal to overcome, essentially giving us a purpose.

Do you think that perhaps life's purpose is to combat evil and tragedy?

Something similar to this was said by Jordan Peterson: "The purpose of life is finding the largest burden that you can bear and bearing it."
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
What does this quote mean to you, and how has it impacted your actions?
I wouldn't necessarily state that it has impacted my actions. The meaning of the quote has more of a spiritual resonance. That one can be immortalized through one's spirit, not necessarily through one's flesh.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Critical-Tim
Not evil per se but challenges
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
Here is a quote that was shown to me just the other day: "Knowledge hinders imagination"

It seems to denote that imagination is only useful in gaining knowledge, since once you have knowledge, you have less imagination.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Here is a quote that was shown to me just the other day: "Knowledge hinders imagination"
Is that Einstein?

It seems to denote that imagination is only useful in gaining knowledge, since once you have knowledge, you have less imagination.
Or that one's epistemological metrics are too restrictive.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
Is that Einstein?
I am unaware if Einstein said anything similar to this, but I articulated this concise quote from the aftermath of a discussion about the minds development from childhood that I had with a friend the other day.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I had a thought today, so I sat down at my desk spending a half hour to sort through what exactly it was that I was trying to say.

I believe this is how it can best be said:
"Awaken from dreams of false desires created by our emotions with imagination, for they are appealing illusions that mask the entrance to hell. Instead, embrace what can exist, discover your true desires, and pursue them for a meaningful life."
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
Here is the revision after a night of resting on it:
"Heaven is found by aligning oneself with reality, while hell is found in remaining rigid and resentful, insisting that reality align with oneself."
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I believe that the impact these quotes have had on me is in bringing awareness between true, positive, and real desires, compared to false, negative, and fake desires.

An example of a false desire could be that would be seemingly desirable is equality among individuals in every aspect of life. It may be possible to create equality of reward for effect, or equality of outcome, but it is impossible to create equality of reward for effort and equality of outcome since people don't have equality of effort. This is an example of a reality that can never be, since humans are naturally unique. Thus, desiring reality to match a hypothetical utopia that defies the natural world is corrupt, as it is wishing for something that has never been and can never be. It is a dark wish that goes beyond reality and into a deep and empty pit of nothingness. All that will result from this pursuit is eternal dissatisfaction and resentment for the structure of reality. I believe this to be the entrance to a hellish existence.

I believe this quote has taught me to form desires towards what exists and shun the desire of anything beyond the natural world as a comparison to what is real.