Why is rape traumatizing if sex is fine? (Equal experience, one voluntary, the other not)

Author: Critical-Tim

Total: 64
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
(Equal experience, one voluntary, the other not)
Impossible. That is the difference of going to a restaurant vs. having food hopelessly shoved down your throat.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
I believe there is consistency among all individuals who gain trauma because even if the physical experience that caused the trauma is different for each person the emotional state that caused the trauma will be the same. Perhaps once we understand how trauma is psychologically stimulated, we can deduce which circumstances would induce it.
I do not believe there will be any consistency in the attempt to "standardize" the causes of trauma that does not reek of argumentum ad populum, which, I suppose, is the essence of psychological assessment.

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Intelligence_06
(Equal experience, one voluntary, the other not)
Impossible. That is the difference of going to a restaurant vs. having food hopelessly shoved down your throat.
I used a simple choice of words that you have highlighted as being insufficient.
I meant to convey that the intersubjective facts of the experience were identical, yet the experience is different.
The question is why the difference in experience traumatizing. I understand trauma comes in many forms, but I'm seeking the distilled source, the underlying consistency throughout all forms of trauma.
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
I think it can be said that anyone who experiences trauma is consistently in the moment incapable of coping with the experience.
I recognize this is simple and vague, but nonetheless is consistent. Hopefully, with more time I should have a better understanding.