How to Debate - Cultivating Epistemic Empowerment - The Tools of Reality

Author: Critical-Tim

Total: 25
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
Description:
How should someone properly debate in order to gain the best understanding of the world? What are the traits that they should display and how can they reconcile differences in opinion? These are some questions that we will address in order to develop a full procedure of debating to the highest level of understanding and absorption.

This marks the beginning of the utmost fundamental and essential concepts to grasp about the world, paving the way to empower your ability to tackle any question with confidence. If you believe a similar topic should be a part of this series, please feel free to address it and If I believe it truly is then I will consider it in as great a depth as I can for another forum of the series. This is meant to be an interactive educational forum to express what I believe to be one of the most necessary keys to understanding.

We will cover the following questions to get started:
How should we go into a debate and why?
What should I do if someone disagrees with me?
What are some of the most common reasons for disputes and how do we overcome them?

Coming soon on "Cultivating Epistemic Empowerment - The Tools of Reality":
Brief Description: Meant to equip you with the mental tools necessary to comprehend a complex world.
How to Decide?
How to Simplify?

Looking forward to "Essential Foundations to Comprehensive Understanding - The Blueprint of Reality":
Brief Description: Meant to lay out the foundation concepts necessary to understand complex questions.
What is Reality?
What is Truth?
What is Understanding?
What is Morality?
What is God?

Final and unending series "Demystifying Philosophical Controversies - The Structure of Reality":
Brief Description: Meant to make sense of all commonly decided questions such as the morality of abortion and many others.
Is abortion ethical?
What is the ideal political structure?
How does religious text articulate reality?
What is the best way to live life?
Are morals worth maintaining?

Please help productively refine my understanding and others by using the following guidelines:
  • NUMBER 1: Please ask questions and only state a dispute with an example to improve my understanding, this forum is intended to educate with an interactive environment.
  • Be open-minded and curious. Do not dismiss or ignore answers that challenge your reality or beliefs. Try to embrace them as opportunities to learn and grow. Try to approach them with logical, critical, and professional minds, and seek to understand the evidence and reasoning behind them.
  • Be empathetic and respectful. Do not judge or ridicule other people’s perspectives or experiences. Try to comprehend their viewpoints and appreciate their contributions to the larger and more intricate reality. Try to see how different perspectives can form a more complex and complete picture of the world.
  • Be honest and responsible. Always prioritize speaking the truth and avoid making definitive claims when uncertain. Use qualifiers like "about," "I saw," "I think," or "I believe" to convey information accurately.
  • Be clear about the source of your knowledge when sharing with others. This fosters a truthful and respectful environment for discussions.
  • Be relevant and on-topic. Do not deviate from the main topic of the forum. Do not post irrelevant or off-topic comments and links that aren't productive to the questions being discussed.
  • Be constructive and creative. Do not simply criticize or reject other people’s ideas. Try to offer positive feedback, suggestions, or alternatives.
  • Be clear and concise. Try to use clear and accurate language as much as possible. To have effective communication it is necessary to speak understandably.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
How should we go into a debate and why?
Well, depends on what the goal is. I just debate to pass time and collect all arguments that work at the same time.
But if someone was serious about debating, he would have to collect many reasons and analogies. Analogies are there to display consistency, and reasons are there to display logic itself.
Then there is collecting rebuttals. You also have to know what arguments will be used against you and have response to them by either negating them or outweighting them with your arguments.

Its a lot of work and doesnt really pay off for most people.

What should I do if someone disagrees with me?
Eh, I usually just continue debate until I get tired. Then I quit.

What are some of the most common reasons for disputes and how do we overcome them?
Sadly, not search for truth. Search for truth has nothing to do with debating. In debating, people often go further from truth. Thats because people are usually incapable of admitting that their opponent might be right about something. 

In debating, people stop thinking and start defending whatever got installed in them through controlled education.

Also, what sounds good is often not even close to being true.

Reason for debating is domination
People like domination over others, and debate can make that happen. Same reason people like online games, games in general.
Its all about that sense of having power over someone, someone else looking weaker than us.

Its that sense of winning and someone else losing. 

A stupid feeling, indeed. Almost pointless in modern times.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
Forgot to tag.
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
-->
@Critical-Tim
Be clear and concise. Try to use clear and accurate language as much as possible. To have effective communication it is necessary to speak understandably.
This is cultural insensitive to to cultures that use high context styles of communication and unfairly disadvantages high IQ people who would need paragraphs of information to explain a sentence they created to mid wits and lower. Here is the member breakdown of this site which is better than the population as a whole but still harms people such as myself who are co siderably smarter than everyone around them.

Site demographics

10% tards

55% average IQ

33% midwits (IQ 120-140)

1% geniuses
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
Sadly, not search for truth. Search for truth has nothing to do with debating. In debating, people often go further from truth. Thats because people are usually incapable of admitting that their opponent might be right about something. 

In debating, people stop thinking and start defending whatever got installed in them through controlled education.

Also, what sounds good is often not even close to being true.
You've highlighted three key points that I wish to clearly state.

1. Debating is distinguished from arguing in that it searches for truth, while arguing seeks to win.
  2. We have an obligation to ourselves to defend what we have compiled with our experience, but it is essential to recognize when we are wrong and prioritize truth.
  3. We have an emotional appeal that skews our judgment, which is a part of human nature, but it is possible to recognize our bias and correct it by understanding ourselves better in relation to the world.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@ponikshiy
It is not a requirement, but a direction to strive towards. Essentially, I'm asking everyone to say what they intend to say to the best of their abilities as directly to the point with as little vagueness as possible.

*Who are the last percent?  ;)
Probably bot users, LOL.

Ps. My humor indicates I'm a human :)
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@Critical-Tim
I dont know much about you.  Perhaps you are in that boat also fellow human being. 
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@ponikshiy
I did leave my About Me pretty vague... SMH.
Let's change that.

I'm a self-centered person, but I believe that through acting morally and building relationships that are honorable, one can maintain decentralized stability, such as that of an empire.

I argue with AI for fun, consistently seeking to prove my stance to it after a disagreement. Most of the time we come to a hybrid stance, but sometimes it flat out admits defeat.

I can contend with AI debatees, as they tend to have inside the box thinking, which is typically considered by the time I take a stance.

I'm the author of the "Live Like a Champion - Children's Series" on Amazon, and I wish to continue my work as an author, eventually publishing my magnum opus.

Anything else, just ask.

Anything you want to share so we can have more engaging interactions, please do. Moreover, I appreciate your interaction on the forum and wish you would continue to contribute to these discussions on cultivating epistemological empowerment.
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@Critical-Tim
Your book looks good but I think you could sell more by appealing to a different demographic. Parents for one. How to teach your kid to study so homework is easier and not a constant fight. Or maybe to older students and adults as the techniques probably apply to them. 

I just don't see an 8 year old saying "mom please by me this book" . Yet it seems to target kids as buyers instead of parents who would be interested in struggling less to help their kids learn. 
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@ponikshiy
I figured it would be a homeschooling extra curriculum that parents could use to teach their children to be more effective students. The current education system is meant to teach knowledge, but I intend to teach how to absorb knowledge, aka how to learn. Its not hacks or tips, but the process of learning that is tought, and once mastered can be applied to navigate the world toward success in all aspects of life, not just school.

I have wanted to publish a book for parents, not for their children, but for themselves. Of course, this would be in much greater depth, so I decided to author the children's series to get my thoughts in order before publishing the real collection of my works.

If you have noticed, the series I have started is published shortly after each of my forums. "Learn Like a Champion" was my How to Learn forum. Next was How we Think, necessitating my next book to be published as "Think Like a Champion."

I have several more to the series I want to add, but the criteria for a book topic is it must be applicable to everyone, in everything, every day.

Altogether, I think you presented a wonderful idea, and I would enjoy making a future edition made specifically to be read by the parents, so they can tutor their children, rather than relying only on speaking to the children in a manner. Thank you for the insight.

I do have a YouTube channel called "JBP Fan Club," where I speak directly on improving the lives of adults and older students, rather than to children as my books have been. I find this also helps me get my thoughts in order.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
What is a debate precisely:
A debate is a collaborative conversation where participants present viewpoints in supporting evidence to reach a well-reasoned and informed conclusion. Debates are distinguished from arguments in that they seek to reach a logical and encompassing conclusion whereas arguments seek only to win. The purpose of a debate is to gain knowledge that one person could not learn without collaboration with others. One person only has one life and one experience but through collaboration they can amass the experience of many and gain more knowledge making more knowledgeable conclusions. Debates are not a matter of sharing facts, but opinions as was best said by Marcus Aurelius, "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." Debates are meant to be a sandbox in which different contenders can present their opinions and try to destroy the arguments of others. This is a benefit for everyone since the only surviving perspective is the strongest of the many and everyone can walk away having that strongest perspective. People are willing to sacrifice the vulnerability of exposing their fallible theories and potential incompetence in order to reap the benefits of reaching a strong conclusion.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
Please post your thoughts on what you believe are important prerequisites for a productive debate based on the goal of a debate defined in the previous comment.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Barney
If you have time, I would greatly appreciate your insight based on your expertise on this subject. I'd like to go beyond the policies of debating and take the next step on articulating the instructions of a successful and productive debate. I'd like to reason through the importance of cultivating a positive environment in order to obtain the knowledge others have to share and list out how someone can actively gain the most amount of knowledge from others with the least amount of pain from exposing their vulnerable insights and potential incompetence. I believe that on completion of a proper debate all participants are not only more educated, but eager to engage again in the future. Perhaps you would review some of the notes I have been revising and share your thoughts.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Barney
I would like to definitively articulate the three main aspects of a debate:
What is a debate and why should I participate? (Understanding)
What are the prerequisites for a productive debate? (Before)
How can I maintain a productive debate? (During)
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I think of a debate as a coliseum, where contenders present concepts that battle for dominance, and upon victory, all contenders leave with the newfound victor as their own.

It is often painful for the gladiators that lose in battle, but after they reconstruct themselves in the image of the victor, they become stronger than ever before.

It is important that we contend in debates, otherwise we lose the opportunity of building ourselves stronger. Anyone, no matter the strength of their idea, should contend. If they win, they have lost nothing and further proven the strength of their thoughts, if they lose, they have gained a stronger concept of representing themselves.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
It is essential to have a clearly defined problem and goal which you wish to achieve, and it must be collectively agreed.

The problem and goal cannot be subjective, otherwise it is not a true contender, because it undermines the purpose of collaboration in the firstplace.

If a problem and go are subjective, reframe them into an intersubjective question.
For example, what is the best book, is a subjective question, but it can be reframed into an intersubjective question, what is the number one bestseller.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
This is not a comprehensive list, but these are the three categories which I wish to articulate. I am open and asking for perspectives that align to rigidify criticize to reconstruct or amend to grow my structure of debating. 

Understanding:
Purpose of Debate: To gain a more comprehensive understanding of reality.
Value of Disputes: Disagreement has the potential of discovering a more rigid understanding.
Wisdom in Experience: Wisdom lies not in words, but in the underlying life experience they represent.
Courageous Exposure: Contending is the brave exposure of one's potential incompetence, motivated to reach a stronger theory.

Before Debating:
Definitive Intention: Establish a clear and concise mutually agreed problem and desired outcome.
Intersubjective debating: Ensure the problem and goal are intersubjective, rather than subjective.
Reframe Subjective Topics: Transform subjective topics into concrete, intersubjective questions. (Best book becomes, most sold book)
Effective Communication: Acquire the vocabulary necessary to express thoughts accurately.

During the Debate:
Worthy Environment: Create an environment where participants feel valued, so they wish to share more of their experience in the future.
Productive Criticism: It is a debatees duty to destroy all presented theories, so that only the strongest can survive.
Identifying Communication Breakdowns: Recognize when communication seems nonsensical and seek to understand the intended meaning.
Storytelling: Use storytelling and analogies when words fail to convey the meaning of an experience due to incapable transmittance or receptance.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Critical-Tim
Simply put, most debates will not fall into the ideals to which you're advocating.

Debates can be about finding truth; but frequently we already know the truth, and that the opponent is too thick headed to consider that they might be wrong. When I debates neo-Nazis as an example, knowing they cannot change, I instead seek to humiliate them. 

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Barney
I think it would be a waste of my time to humiliate someone as simple minded as you have described. I agree that most people who go into a debate believe that they already know the truth, but the question is whether it is the most accurate truth. The way we understand the world is by extracting abstract conceptual knowledge about the world, but extraction requires a takeaway with our limited mental capacity, and conceptualizing requires derived simplification, both of which people cannot know if they have truly reached and most possibly will never. I believe it is possible there is always a better explanation than the one I have concluded for being most probable. I agree that closed-minded people cannot learn, but they can teach, and even if they have an irrational conclusion, it is still possible, and I find this to be true, that at least part of their train of thought is a new rational perspective I hadn't considered. It is through collaboration that we can gain the knowledge of others and select the parts of our choice to craft ourselves into our ideal. I think debates are necessary to gather more experience than one person could ever on their own, and the person with the most experience has the most knowledge about the world, And the person with the most knowledge can have the most comprehensive understanding of the world, and then they can extract the most encompassing and abstract concepts to navigate life towards success of their chosen destination.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Critical-Tim
One tactic I advocate for, is to occasionally debate in against our belief on a matter.

There's also an old Jewish debate tradition of listening to someone's arguments, until you can paraphrase it back to them, have them agree that's their argument...
And only then refute it.

The above are of course for areas which are not utter intellectual dead ends.
Neo-Nazis, Incels, etc., have already been proven to have zero merit to very rotten core of their ideas, so kicking the soap box out from under them (preventing the unchallenged spread of their cults) seems like the best course of action available.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Barney
Thank you for sharing your knowledge about paraphrasing to understand the opponent. I often do this unknowingly, but since you pointed it out, I believe it is an essential aspect of a debate. After all, one cannot disagree with what one doesn't understand.

I have done some research to gain a better understanding of the method.

Here is what I found:
The Jewish debate tradition of listening to someone’s arguments, until you can paraphrase it back to them, have them agree that’s their argument, and only then refute it, is called havruta. Havruta means “friendship” or “companionship” in Aramaic, and it refers to the practice of studying Jewish texts in pairs or small groups. Havruta learning is based on the principle that “two heads are better than one” and that engaging with different perspectives can deepen one’s understanding and sharpen one’s reasoning.

Havruta learning involves three elements: the text, the partner, and the self. The text is the source of the debate, usually a passage from the Talmud or another rabbinic work. The partner is the person with whom one studies the text, exchanging questions, interpretations, and arguments. The self is the individual learner who brings his or her own background, assumptions, and insights to the discussion. Havruta learning requires active listening, respectful dialogue, and constructive criticism.

Havruta learning is not only a method of acquiring knowledge, but also a way of cultivating character traits such as humility, patience, honesty, and empathy. Havruta learning fosters a sense of community and friendship among learners, as well as a connection to the tradition and its values. Havruta learning is considered one of the highest forms of Jewish learning, as it reflects the ideal of “iron sharpens iron” (Proverbs 27:17).
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I went ahead and did some further research on Havruta and surrounding debating strategies and tactics.

Havruta: This Jewish debate tradition involves studying texts in pairs or small groups, paraphrasing each other’s arguments, and refuting them only after agreement. It fosters deep understanding, respectful dialogue, and constructive criticism. However, it may require suitable partners and extensive background knowledge.

Pros:
  • Fosters deep understanding, respectful dialogue, and constructive criticism
  • Cultivates character traits such as humility, patience, honesty, and empathy
  • Connects to the tradition and its values
Cons:
  • May be difficult to find suitable partners
  • May require extensive background knowledge
  • May not be applicable to all topics or contexts
Implementation: To implement this strategy, find a debate partner or form small debate study groups. Select a text or topic to study and debate. Paraphrase each other's arguments and ideas, ensuring you understand them thoroughly before moving on to refutations. The key to Havruta is fostering deep understanding, respectful dialogue, and constructive criticism.

Socratic Questioning: This method uses a series of questions to challenge assumptions, expose contradictions, and reveal underlying principles. It clarifies one’s thinking and examines beliefs but can be time-consuming and intimidating for some.

Pros:
  • Clarifies one’s own thinking, examines one’s own beliefs, and discovers one’s own errors
  • Engages in respectful and constructive dialogue with others who have different views
  • Reveals underlying principles and assumptions
Cons:
  • May be time-consuming, frustrating, and intimidating for some people
  • May not lead to a definitive answer or conclusion
  • May depend on the quality of the questions and the responses
Implementation: To implement this strategy, start with a debatable topic or statement. Ask a series of open-ended questions to explore the topic deeply. Challenge assumptions and seek underlying principles while encouraging others to respond with thoughtful answers. Keep the discussion focused on the topic at hand to uncover insights.

Rhetorical Analysis: This method examines how language is used to persuade, inform, or entertain an audience. It understands the purpose, audience, context, and rhetorical strategies but can be subjective and complex.

Pros:
  • Understands the purpose, audience, context, and genre of a text
  • Appreciates the effectiveness, creativity, and beauty of language
  • Evaluates the rhetorical strategies and devices employed by the author
Cons:
  • May be subjective, complex, and dependent on the quality of the text
  • May not address the validity or soundness of the arguments or claims
  • May not consider the ethical or moral implications of the text
Implementation: To implement this strategy, select a persuasive text, speech, or article. Examine the purpose, audience, and context of the communication. Identify rhetorical strategies employed by the author, such as ethos, pathos, and logos. Analyze how language is effectively used to persuade and discuss the overall effectiveness of the communication.

Lincoln-Douglas Debate: A one-on-one debate format focusing on moral and philosophical implications. It allows in-depth exploration of values and principles but may be abstract and technical.

Pros:
  • Allows for in-depth exploration of values and principles
  • Enables personal expression and creativity
  • Enhances moral and philosophical reasoning
Cons:
  • May be abstract, technical, and limited in scope
  • May not address practical or empirical aspects of the resolution
  • May depend on the quality of the evidence and the values
Implementation: To implement this format, decide on a moral or philosophical resolution. Assign one debater as the affirmative and one as the negative. Develop clear arguments grounded in principles and values. Engage in structured cross-examination and rebuttals while focusing on the moral implications and philosophical foundations of the topic.

British Parliamentary Debate: A team debate format with four teams of two speakers each, representing the government and the opposition. Encourages quick thinking and teamwork but can be chaotic.

Pros:
  • Encourages quick thinking, teamwork, and adaptability to different motions and positions
  • Reflects the style of debate used in the British Parliament
  • Provides a variety of perspectives and arguments
Cons:
  • May be chaotic, confusing, and unfair for some teams
  • May not allow for sufficient depth or development of arguments
  • May not consider the ethical or moral implications of the motion
Implementation: To implement this format, form four teams and assign two as the government and two as the opposition. Receive a motion or topic to debate on the spot, and quickly develop arguments and responses in a limited preparation time. This format emphasizes quick thinking, teamwork, and adaptability to different motions and positions.

World Schools Debate: A team debate format with two teams of three speakers each, representing the proposition and opposition sides. Allows for a wide range of topics and rigorous analysis but can be demanding.

Pros:
  • Allows for a wide range of topics and perspectives
  • Requires rigorous analysis and evidence
  • Develops skills such as research, writing, speaking, and listening
Cons:
  • May be demanding, competitive, and stressful for some debaters
  • May not account for cultural or contextual differences among countries or organizations
  • May depend on the quality of the judges and the criteria
Implementation: To implement this format, create two teams and assign one as the proposition and the other as the opposition. Prepare and deliver speeches on a given motion following a structured format with defined speaking roles. World Schools debate allows for the analysis of a wide range of topics and perspectives.

Public Forum Debate: A team debate format with two teams of two speakers each, representing the pro and con sides of a resolution. Relates to current events and logic but may be superficial.

Pros:
  • Relates to current events and controversial issues that affect the general public
  • Appeals to logic, evidence, and rhetoric
  • Engages the judges and the audience
Cons:
  • May be superficial, repetitive, and biased for some topics
  • May not address the underlying causes or consequences of the resolution
  • May depend on the quality of the sources and the presentation
Implementation: To implement this format, form two teams and assign one as pro and the other as con for a resolution. Research current events or controversial issues and construct arguments using logic, evidence, and rhetoric. Engage in a structured debate with crossfire and rebuttals, focusing on the logical and persuasive aspects of the topic.

Model United Nations: A simulation debate involving students representing different countries or organizations. Educates about global issues and develops skills but may be unrealistic.

Pros:
  • Educates students about global issues, diplomacy, and cooperation
  • Develops skills such as research, writing, speaking, and negotiation
  • Fosters a sense of community and friendship among students
Cons:
  • May be unrealistic, complex, and politicized for some situations
  • May not reflect the actual views or interests of the countries or organizations represented
  • May depend on the quality of the chairs and the rules of procedure
Implementation: To implement this format, simulate a UN session, assigning participants as delegates representing countries or organizations. Research and prepare positions on global issues, engage in formal debates, negotiations, and resolutions. MUN emphasizes diplomacy, cooperation, and consensus-building while educating students about global issues.

Drama-Based Education: Uses theater techniques to enhance learning and engagement, developing creativity and critical thinking. It can be challenging and time-consuming for some learners.

Pros:
  • Develops skills such as creativity, communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and problem-solving
  • Explores Jewish themes and values through storytelling, role-playing, improvisation, and performance
  • Enhances learning and engagement through experience, interaction, and personal relevance
Cons:
  • May be challenging, time-consuming, and uncomfortable for some learners
  • May not address the factual or analytical aspects of the topic or text
  • May depend on the quality of the facilitator and the feedback
Implementation: To implement this method, incorporate debates or discussions into dramatic scenarios. Encourage students to embody different perspectives and enhance their learning through creativity and active participation. Reflect on the experience and insights gained during this immersive learning approach.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
In a debate, a higher number of participants often leads to increased complexity and potential chaos.

Imagine an individual with 100% average concentration and focus. With two others in the debate, this would mean a 50% connection with each. However, when there are four participants, it drops to 25% for each, and maintaining these four connections requires additional effort. At 100% focus, no efficiency is lost, but at 50% focus, errors can occur while balancing two, and even more so with four participants. In practice, a 50% connection for two is closer to 45% each, totaling 90% efficiency, while 25% for four is more like 15% each, totaling 60% efficiency.

If each task were completed independently, it would likely be faster than balancing all four simultaneously. However, there's the issue of missing perspectives from future participants that past participants may not consider. This necessitates a conversation between the original participants and those joining later. This undermines the efficiency of consecutive tasks.

To address these concerns while maintaining direct connections for maximum efficiency, a larger party could advocate for two of the most rational individuals to support multiple perspectives. For instance, if there are three main perspectives, three primary advocates would suffice. Instead of involving a large group of approximately 20 debate members, these advocates would represent a perspective, while the rest remain the debate audience. This approach would enable a select few to engage in a highly efficient debate. Audience members could ask questions or highlight problems for the advocates to rationally address. The duty of the audience would be to present perspectives or issues for the selected advocates to solve and discuss. This approach aims to be efficient, comprehensive, and inclusive of various viewpoints while effectively addressing a higher number of problems.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Barney
Here is my updated list of points for a productive debate.
I'm not looking to impose this on others; I'm seeking the most self-benefiting way to debate.
Even if another does not follow these steps, one who uses them will still benefit from the debate.
I define a productive debate as one that rewards a greater ability to navigate reality to success.

Understanding:
  • Arguments and Debates: Arguments seek to win, while debates seek solutions.
  • Gladiator Colosseum: A debate is a colosseum full of gladiators who rationally fight for dominance until only the champion theories remain.
  • Purpose of Debate: Gaining a more comprehensive understanding of reality, so we can navigate life to success.
  • Value of Disputes: Disagreement has the potential of discovering a more rigid understanding.
  • Wisdom in Experience: Wisdom lies not in words, but in the underlying life experience they represent.
  • Courageous Exposure: Contending is the brave exposure of one's potential incompetence, motivated to reach a stronger theory.
Before Debating:
  • Definitive Intention: Establish a clear and concise mutually agreed problem and desired outcome.
  • Intersubjective debating: Ensure the problem and goal are intersubjective, rather than subjective.
  • Reframe Subjective Topics: Transform subjective topics into concrete, intersubjective questions. (Best book becomes, most sold book)
  • Effective Communication: Acquire the vocabulary necessary to transmit and recieve thoughts accurately.
During the Debate:
  • Respect Others: Their beliefs are the culmination of all their past life experience abstracted into invaluable conceptual knowledge about reality.
  • Paraphrase Arguments: Before criticizing, you should paraphrase the alternative arguments, this proves your comprehension and thus readiness to dispute, since you cannot disagree with what you don’t understand.
  • Productive Criticism: It is a debate member’s duty is to logically invalidate all presented theories, so that only true theories can survive.
  • Gentle Criticism: Rather than blatantly addressing a theory’s flaw, try asking a question that will present the problem; this will not only free the individual of direct critique, but also yourself if you overlooked the solution.
  • Identifying Communication Breakdowns: Recognize when communication seems nonsensical and seek to understand the intended meaning.
  • Storytelling: Use storytelling and analogies when words fail to convey the meaning of an experience due to incapable transmittance or receptance.

11 days later

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
Additional Thoughts:
Often, there is more than one valid theory. In this case, it is important to rely on the most probable, while recognizing one of less probability could be true.

Someone asked me, what is the ideal number of participants for a debate.
Imagine an individual with 100% average concentration and focus. With two others in the debate, this would mean a 50% connection with each. However, when there are four participants, it drops to 25% for each, and maintaining these four connections requires additional effort. At 100% focus, no efficiency is lost, but at 50% focus, errors can occur while balancing two, and even more so with four participants. In practice, a 50% connection for two is closer to 45% each, totaling 90% efficiency, while 25% for four is more like 15% each, totaling 60% efficiency.

If each task were completed independently, it would likely be faster than balancing all four simultaneously. However, there's the issue of missing perspectives from future participants that past participants may not consider. This necessitates a conversation between the original participants and those joining later. This undermines the efficiency of consecutive tasks.

To address these concerns while maintaining direct connections for maximum efficiency, a larger party could advocate for two of the most rational individuals to support multiple perspectives. For instance, if there are three main perspectives, three primary advocates would suffice. Instead of involving a large group of approximately 20 debate members, these advocates would represent a perspective, while the rest remain the debate audience. This approach would enable a select few to engage in a highly efficient debate. Audience members could ask questions or highlight problems for the advocates to rationally address. The duty of the audience would be to present perspectives or issues for the selected advocates to solve and discuss. This approach aims to be efficient, comprehensive, and inclusive of various viewpoints while effectively addressing a higher number of problems.

I believe this would enable all perspectives to be addressed within a single debate, and all people to reach the solution simultaneously, all while maintaining as much as 100% efficiency of focus and concentration during the discussion.

Using this technique, I believe you could have as many as 100 members of the debate audience with ideally 2, but as many as 4, representatives with an effective discussion that doesn't dissolve into chaos.