Why do we only start learning about Economics / Business related information in High school?

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 13
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Basically what the title says. Business and Economics have since been an integral portion of higher education. I mean, just look up websites of famous and prestigious universities such as NYU, Harvard, UPenn, Cornell, etc. and look how big their business schools are, etc.

Yet I have seen that in no core curricula is either business or economics listed as one. I have seen those with included Physics, Chemistry, Maths, History all from middle school for example, yet why is that for a field this expansive in terms of enrolled scholars did preparation only start at high school?

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Economy is simple.

There is cost and there is the earning.

Make sure earning is higher than cost or you will be in deficit.

It is so simple that no one understands it and almost everyone is in debt because of that.

I never had debt in my entire life. But then again, I also never had a car. Eh, tomato, tomahto. I find happiness without having to resort to lots of spending. I earn little, spend little. 

Well, some people cant be happy unless they own lots of expensive things. I never quite understood such mentality. With limited resources in the world, it seems kinda greedy. Plus, even expensive things break down and you have to buy new ones.

Back to your topic. I dont know why.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
People are in debt because people buy debt from debt sellers.

It's known as credit with interest, and is very popular in consumer societies.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Because business and finance is a club. An ugly, disgusting club. But a club nonetheless. It is intentionally set up this way to stop average americans from learning the game.
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
-->
@Intelligence_06
Well, I guess it's useless to teach kids about business when they don't work and earn money. 

It's more uselful though to teach them about finance, basically the importance of saving money and finance planning, so that they don’t get a credit card and end up with big debts as soon as they start to work like many americans actually do. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Dr.Franklin
So what you are saying is that they are INTENTIONALLY leaving it out of core curricula so less people will understand how it works?

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@IlDiavolo
It's more uselful though to teach them about finance, basically the importance of saving money and finance planning, so that they don’t get a credit card and end up with big debts as soon as they start to work like many americans actually do. 
They should. Why didn't they?

IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
-->
@Intelligence_06
They should. Why didn't they?
I think they should, like in China.

But I guess it's a different culture, americans like to spend, chinese people like to save. I don't know, there might be advantages/disadvantages of one cultural habit over the other.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not really Doc.

What we fill our days with is up to us and how we apply our grey matter.

Business is basically the application of time and effort to personal and social causes.

Financial business is definitively what it is.

Saying that financial business is a disgusting club, is no different to saying that any other business that we are not involved in, is a disgusting club.

For example, the business of professional sport is a disgusting club.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Intelligence_06
Because the masses being literate in both business and economic matters is terrifying.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Athias
Because the masses being literate in both business and economic matters is terrifying.
That's why we included it for about basically no middle schools, some high school electives, and a viable major for virtually all research-based universities! Yay!

No seriously, is that all?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Intelligence_06
That's why we included it for about basically no middle schools, some high school electives, and a viable major for virtually all research-based universities! Yay!

No seriously, is that all?
Think about it: how much would referendums change if the masses were versed in Economics? Even if they were learning and being indoctrinated with Keynesian nonsense, just a mere and basic grasp would diminish much of the demagoguery and specious arguments with which politicians get away. And that's the "terrifying" part.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Intelligence_06
Yes