Why the Christian Bible must be interpreted

Author: Critical-Tim

Total: 106
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas

An interesting quote I picked up on here , Brother D.

The Reverend to Critical-Tim:

Tradesecret wrote: @Critical-Tim
I totally agree that the Christian Bible, OT and NT needs to be interpreted and to be interpreted properly. 

This  a surprising statement for the  Reverend - our resident Pastor Tradesecret to make , don't you think?

Considering  that when I have brought up the fact that I  have found the bible to be ambiguous and filled with enigmatic half stories, the Reverend Tradesecret has, on numerous  occasion made it expressly clear to me in the past, stating that:

I am comfortable with our English bible translators and their attempts to convey the right balance as they understand it.#39

The authors in the bible are pretty clear about what they want to communicate.#62

I for one, do not believe that the bible is ambiguous at all.  It is clear. Crystal clear in fact.#55

🤔
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Critical-Tim
Can you explain what you mean by "in our post-modern world?"

It was my impression that "modern" means in the current, while "post-" means after.
The Western World has over the past century undergone a complete transition in respect of its epistemology. 

Historically, the West has in the past 500 years or so been enlightened or illuminated to believe that words had meaning. That truth was absolute. That feelings ought to be subject to reason. 

Yet, in the late 20th century, this so called modernism has evolved into a broad skepticism on anything absolute, it has moved towards subjectivism, or relativism. It has contained a general suspicion of reason, authority, absolutes,  and anything associated with the same. 

In some ways, it is really the engagement of the West with the East. Multi-cultural thinking has embraced the Eastern philosophies as culturally superior to the more conservative West. 

Modernism in this sense doesn't mean current, it means objective and universals whereas Post-Modernism does refer to the after - but not after the current - but after the objectives and universals - we have the subjective and relative. This is one reason Christianity is out and Buddhism and Hinduism is in. The latter are new age - the former is conservative and tied to institutions and objective authority.  

Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Lemming

Lemming,

YOUR QUOTES OF EMBARRASSMENT AGAIN: "I am not willing to consider your post #85 in depth, Due to the gist of it and past posts by you, I don't think there is value in it for me."

HUH?  You don't need to take my post #85 in depth, because it was simple propositions to understand, HELLO?  Furthermore, the "gist" of my posts are direct and to the point, and if you can't handle that, then remain SILENT to them in the future, get it?  I can see that there is no value in my posts to you because you're wrangling around with them in not understanding them in the first place!  LOL!

Do yourself a favor and just stay upon the sidelines and watch, okay? Thanks .................

Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Stephen
@Critical-Tim

Stephen,

How many times in a given month do we have to correct Miss Tradesecret's outright stupidity AGAIN?

MISS TRADESECRETS RECENT QUOTE THAT DEFIES ALL REASON AGAIN:  "This is one reason Christianity is out and Buddhism and Hinduism is in. The latter are new age - the former is conservative and tied to institutions and objective authority."

Barring her unneeded words in her speech patterns again, can you believe in even a pseudo-christian like Miss Tradesecret saying what she said in her ungodly quote above in being;  CHRISTIANITY IS OUT, and Buddhism and Hinduism is in?!  WTF!  I can just see my serial killer Jesus looking down upon the #1  Bible fool Miss Tradesecret (Hebrews 4:13), and shaking his head in disgust once AGAIN! 

TRADESECRET NEVER DOES HER HOMEWORK, THEREFORE I DID IT FOR HER:  In 2023, it was reported: "There will be over 2.6 billion Christians worldwide by the middle of 2023 and around 3.3 billion by 2050, according to a report published in early January by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary. "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_population_growth#:~:text=In%202023%2C%20it%20was%20reported,at%20Gordon%20Conwell%20Theological%20Seminary.%22

As we both have seen, Miss Tradesecrets dumbfounded Bible modus operandi has rubbed off on our new and upcoming Bible Stupid Fool, Critical-Tim.   He will NEVER live down his embarrassing thread that he made "just for me" entitled; Why the Christian Bible must be interpreted subsequent to being Bible Slapped Silly®️ by Jesus and I relative to his Devil Speak of reinterpreting Jesus' DIRECT AND LITERAL WORDS away from their true LITERAL meanings!   Comedy at its best! LOL!

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN LIKE MISS TRADESECRET THAT WANTS TO SLAP JESUS IN THE FACE AGAIN BECAUSE HER "OPINION" WAS ONCE AGAIN WRONG, WILL BE ...?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
That is a presumption with no substantiated basis.
This is undoubtedly and inevitably a truism.

What you have concluded is riddled with contradiction as it concerns materialist description.
Undoubtedly and inevitably, under the circumstances.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

This is undoubtedly and inevitably a truism.
Tru dat!

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Tradesecret
I did some research since you brought an interesting perspective.

Postmodernism is a philosophical and cultural movement that emerged in the mid-20th century. It challenges traditional beliefs in objective truth, universal values, and grand narratives. Postmodernism emphasizes the relativity of knowledge, the complexity of language, and the diversity of human experiences. It often critiques established power structures and questions the stability of meaning and reality.

Core Beliefs:
  • Subjectivity: Postmodernism challenges the idea of objective truth and universal values, emphasizing the subjectivity of knowledge and the complexity of language.
  • Skepticism of Grand Narratives: Postmodernism questions the reliability of grand narratives (totalizing theories or stories) and highlights the diversity of human experiences and perspectives.
  • Pluralism: Postmodern thought often celebrates diversity, pluralism, and the blending or hybridization of different styles and cultural influences.

Modernism is a cultural, artistic, and intellectual movement that arose in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It's characterized by a focus on individualism, innovation, and a break from traditional values and artistic forms. Modernism often seeks to reflect the rapidly changing world and emphasizes originality, experimentation, and a belief in progress. It encompasses a wide range of fields, including art, literature, architecture, and philosophy.

Core Beliefs:
  • Objective Truth: Modernism often emphasizes the pursuit of objective truth and rationality. It has confidence in science, reason, and technology to improve society.
  • Progress: Modernist thinkers believe in human progress and the ability to better society through knowledge and innovation.
  • Clarity and Originality: Modernism seeks clarity in communication and originality in art, literature, and design. It values innovation and often breaks from traditional forms.

As I understand it, modernism is the belief in the objective, while postmodernism is the belief in the subjective. It seems that postmodernism tries to devalue any sort of standard for objective knowledge because it lacks rationality, since we can never experience what is imperceptible, but I believe this to be a mistake. I understand that objectivity is irrational, and I understand that subjectivity proves any objective to be false but also the inconsistency of what knowledge means.

We must contemplate the true nature of knowledge and its purpose. Knowledge, as I perceive it, is meant to serve as a foundational framework upon which others can build and advance, driving progress in fields like technology and medicine. Both the strictly objective and entirely subjective approaches fall short in fulfilling this purpose. Perhaps it is intersubjective knowledge that truly aligns with this objective, as it facilitates effective communication and mutual understanding among individuals.

It seems as though those who claim to advocate for objective knowledge might have miscommunicated their stance, as intersubjective knowledge is likely what they intended to emphasize. Denying the existence of any knowledge standard appears to be an inaccurate viewpoint, considering the significant advancements we've achieved in technology and other domains. Similarly, endorsing knowledge that is entirely independent of perception appears irrational, lacking a scientific method to validate its rationality. If we shift our perspective on modernism from its inherent irrationality to its possible original intention, we can recognize that postmodernism falls short of achieving the intended goal. Modernism, too, failed in accurately describing itself. Hence, we might benefit from focusing on the true essence of knowledge and acknowledge that intersubjective knowledge aligns most effectively with our purpose for having knowledge to begin with.

Would you agree that objective knowledge is irrational, subjective knowledge is useless, but intersubjective knowledge is useful?
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Stephen
@Critical-Tim

Critical_Tim, who is on record in calling Jesus a LIAR as God because of His literal words, and is vying to be as Bible Stupid as Miss Tradesecret, and was obviously sent to this Religion Forum from Satan himself to disrupt Jesus’ true literal words within the scriptures, and now calls Peter a LIAR, and as explicitly shown, wants to be this Religion Forum's funny comedian because of his Devil Speak in reinterpreting Jesus' LITERAL words that are laughter at its best, and now is the "king of ungodly circular reasoning," and a RUNAWAY from Jesus' direct LITERAL words within the scriptures that I posed to him, and where he flunked out of Miss Tradesecret’s school of; How to Run Away from Disturbing Literal Bible passagesand now has to remain SILENT to my godly posts to him, to save himself from further embarrassment,

YOUR QUOTE WHERE YOU STEPPED IN THE PROVERBIAL POO BECAUSE OF YOU SAYING THAT THE LITERAL AND DIRECT WORDS OF JESUS NEED TO BE REINTERPRETED TO SAY NOT WHAT HE SAID LITERALLY, BUT SOMETHING ELSE THAT YOU WANT HIM TO SAY!!!:  "Would you agree that objective knowledge is irrational, subjective knowledge is useless, but intersubjective knowledge is useful?"

Case in point Bible fool, you stated above that "objective knowledge" is irrational, but yet you used this proposition to make a complete Bible fool of yourself where you proposed what Jesus LITERALLY STATED IN TRUE FORM in Luke 14:26 was not what He meant to say!  Where your OBJECTIVE KNOWLEDGE tried to comically put forth that what Jesus stated in said passage, are you ready, was a figure of speech called hyperbole as shown in your laughable post in the link below!   ROFLOL!!!!

Listen, we know that Miss Tradesecret has told you that you should just remain SILENT to my additional posts to you relating to your original topic of YOUR OWN THREAD, that now you have to RUN AWAY from them to save you further embarrassment in front of the membership.  This is a given, like Miss Tradesecret has to do with Stephen and myself because of "her" Bible stupidity.  Critical-Tim,  welcome to Miss Tradesecrets club of RUNNING AWAY from Biblical axioms and the LITERAL WORDS of Jesus the Christ! 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Critical-Tim
As I understand it, modernism is the belief in the objective, while postmodernism is the belief in the subjective. It seems that postmodernism tries to devalue any sort of standard for objective knowledge because it lacks rationality, since we can never experience what is imperceptible, but I believe this to be a mistake. I understand that objectivity is irrational, and I understand that subjectivity proves any objective to be false but also the inconsistency of what knowledge means. 

We must contemplate the true nature of knowledge and its purpose. Knowledge, as I perceive it, is meant to serve as a foundational framework upon which others can build and advance, driving progress in fields like technology and medicine. Both the strictly objective and entirely subjective approaches fall short in fulfilling this purpose. Perhaps it is intersubjective knowledge that truly aligns with this objective, as it facilitates effective communication and mutual understanding among individuals.

It seems as though those who claim to advocate for objective knowledge might have miscommunicated their stance, as intersubjective knowledge is likely what they intended to emphasize. Denying the existence of any knowledge standard appears to be an inaccurate viewpoint, considering the significant advancements we've achieved in technology and other domains. Similarly, endorsing knowledge that is entirely independent of perception appears irrational, lacking a scientific method to validate its rationality. If we shift our perspective on modernism from its inherent irrationality to its possible original intention, we can recognize that postmodernism falls short of achieving the intended goal. Modernism, too, failed in accurately describing itself. Hence, we might benefit from focusing on the true essence of knowledge and acknowledge that intersubjective knowledge aligns most effectively with our purpose for having knowledge to begin with.

Would you agree that objective knowledge is irrational, subjective knowledge is useless, but intersubjective knowledge is useful?
thanks for taking the time in the first place to listen to what I was talking about and secondly, exploring what I said. Thirdly, thanks for giving it some thought and analysis. And then a question for me to ponder.  I appreciate that very much.  This is what I think is proper dialogue. Many others could take a leaf out of your book. Of course, there are many people on this site who do that. Just not so much here in the religious section. 

I take the view that objective knowledge is not irrational per se.  I don't agree that subjective knowledge is useless. I will need to explore the idea of intersubjective knowledge before I can determine its application.  (I won't do that here but will research and return to discuss it) 

As a theist, I hold to the view that everyone's including God's view is subjective. Nevertheless, since, I also hold to the view that God alone is perfect and eternal and the measure of truth in every dimension his subjectivity alone is an objective basis for everything else.  In Economic theory, the theory of utilitarianism is a theory of objectivity. The ends justify the means. The great good argument is considered objective in its nature.  In Legal theory, whether a fact is considered reasonable or not is based on the reasonable person. The tests can be either objective or subjective.  If it is "what would a reasonable person understand in the circumstances" it is objective. If it is what would that particular person reasonably do in those circumstances", then it is considered a subjective test.  In literature, there must be an objectivity of a kind in order for us to communicate.  These letters on the screen must be objectively understood as particular letters of the English alphabet. If someone just subjectively understands them however they want, then communication will devolve. Words must have meaning objectively. Of course - it is true that words evolve over time. Of course, not all words evolve over time.  Mathematics and Science both require objective truth and knowledge to exist in order for them to make rational decisions.  For example, how could a scientist determine the age of the earth or anything without the view that some things remain consistent throughout history?  If the speed of light dipped, or changed, it would cause enormous problems not just for scientists but for everyone. It is a constant and therefore it is an objective picture of knowledge.  

Of course, subjective knowledge is also useful too. It depends on what the knowledge is and why it will be used.  When I fall in love, it is a subjective experience. And while there may be better alternatives for me to marry or for someone else to marry, the subjective test will in the West at least become a measuring stick of some description.   Preference is also subjective knowledge.  I prefer Coke to Pepsi.  It is subjective knowledge and therefore useful.  In theology, subjectivity is also relevant and at times useful.  I believe there are objective principles to follow in the Scriptures, but most of the time God wishes for us to apply wisdom to certain situations. This application of wisdom is going to be a form of subjective knowledge and experience. 

Interestingly, although I don't yet understand inter-subjective knowledge, my particular view is as follows:

• I don't 100% agree with modernism. The reason for that is not everything is black and white. Not everything requires a right or wrong absolute answer or response. 
  • I don't 100% agree with post-modernism. The reason for that is not everything is somewhere between black and white. There do exist some absolute truths that are absolutely right or absolutely wrong.  
I hold to the view - that "There is ABSOLUTELY no such thing as an ABSOLUTE", is a self-defeating statement. It rationally proves that absolutes do exist. As such so does objective knowledge. It is akin to the agnostic statement that "we can know nothing about God", another self-defeating statement. It rationally proves at least one thing about God can be known, and therefore that god exists. 

As a Christian, I also hold to what I have explained to you before as covenantal theology. Sometimes called Trinitarian Theology.  It is the idea I described to you in relation to the Garden of Eden.  There is freedom - therefore subjectivity is useful. Yet true freedom MUST be defined by boundaries. Hence, objectivity is rational. Freedom loses its meaning if the Boundaries are removed.  I used the term Trinitarian Theology because it is only within the Christian Religion that Trinity is known.  Yes, there are other religions that have three-headed or multi-headed gods.  There are other religions that have similar - but NONE that reflect the Trinity as Christians articulate.   

The Trinity is a unique concept.  It is both simple and complex.  It is both objective and subjective. It reflects both the One and the Many.  Yet unlike other similar views - it completely separates the creator from the creation.  The creation does not evolve into the creator. This distinction is unique. And it consistently reflects the objective and the subjective.  But more than that the Trinity despite being distinct condescends itself to become part of the creation in the person of Christ. 

Hence, in contradistinction to every other religion where the creation desires to become God, God in Christianity, adds to himself humanity.  He maintains this distinction. It's fascinating. 

Again thanks for listening, and for considering, and for exploring. Now I will go and explore and research your question to me. 

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Tradesecret
I'm glad you're going to research, and not strictly rely on the credibility of anonymous users. Nonetheless, you may find this useful.

Intersubjectivity:

Intersubjectivity is a concept used in philosophy, sociology, and psychology to describe the ways in which individuals share and collectively construct meaning and understanding of the world. It highlights the social and communal nature of knowledge and experience. Intersubjectivity recognizes that while human experiences are inherently subjective, they are often shaped and influenced by shared interpretations, cultural norms, and the interactions between individuals.

In essence, intersubjectivity refers to the common understandings and meanings that develop when individuals engage in social and communicative interactions. It involves the process by which people come to agree on shared meanings, interpretations, and values. Intersubjective knowledge emerges from the shared experiences, language, and cultural context that individuals have in common.

In everyday life, intersubjectivity is evident when people communicate and engage in dialogue, often using language and shared symbols to convey their thoughts and emotions. This shared communication and understanding play a crucial role in shaping social norms, cultural practices, and the collective construction of knowledge.

Concise Explanation:

Intersubjectivity refers to experiences or understandings that appear consistent or shared among different individuals. It highlights the commonality and agreement in how people perceive and interpret certain aspects of their experiences.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
For sure, intersubjectivity forms communities

Just as it forms other communities.

Sort of states the obvious, but doesn't universally validate any particular set of subjective data.

Just forms varying intersubjective versions of subjective data...As we know all too well.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Then it begs the question: why does any information a materialist would argue is "made up" disqualify itself especially in the face of the aforementioned undoubted and inevitable truism?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Critical-Tim
I like the idea of intersubjectivity. 

I am still attempting in my mind to distinguish it from subjectivity. 

But since I think subjectivity is helpful per se, then I don't find the subset of intersubjectivity to be unhelpful. 

Perhaps you might enlighten me some more.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Tradesecret
Absolutely, intersubjective knowledge is valuable because it bridges the gap between individual subjective experiences, creating a shared understanding or consensus among people. It allows for effective communication, collaboration, and the development of common ground, making it a more reliable basis for discussions, decision-making, and cooperative efforts compared to purely subjective knowledge.

I think of each person as having a domain of knowledge about the world. We can think of intersubjective knowledge as the agreed perception and understanding.

Each circle is our subjective experience, while intersubjective experience is where they overlap.

The utility is shown when you may ask me about my non-intersubjective knowledge. You would not better understand the world by me sharing my favorite color or movie, since they are purely subjective. Whereas you would find intersubjective knowledge useful, since we could logically agree, such as the existence of water.
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Critical-Tim

Critical_Tim, who is on record in calling Jesus a LIAR as God because of His literal words, and is vying to be as Bible Stupid as Miss Tradesecret, and was obviously sent to this Religion Forum from Satan himself to disrupt Jesus’ true literal words within the scriptures, and now calls Peter a LIAR, and as explicitly shown, wants to be this Religion Forum's funny comedian because of his Devil Speak in reinterpreting Jesus' LITERAL words that are laughter at its best, and now is the "king of ungodly circular reasoning," and a RUNAWAY from Jesus' direct LITERAL words within the scriptures that I posed to him, and where he flunked out of Miss Tradesecret’s school of; How to Run Away from Disturbing Literal Bible passagesand now has to remain SILENT to Jesus' LITERAL words to save himself from further embarrassment,

YOUR LAUGHABLE JABBERWOCKY QUOTE TO THE #1 BIBLE STUPID FOOL MISS TRADESECRET:  " Whereas you would find intersubjective knowledge useful, since we could logically agree, such as the existence of water."

You can agree to the existence of water? DUH! LOL!  How astute of you two Bible fools, wow, wonders will never cease! LOL!

Critical-Tim, we all can understand your outright embarrassment in this thread of yours, that you made for me personally, how nice, where I have easily made you the Bible Stupid fool that you remain to be!  Then, to save yourself and Miss Tradesecret from further embarrassment from Jesus and I in LITERALLY  Bible Slapping you Silly®️, you had to change topics to Intersubjectivity,  Concise Explanations, yada, yada, yada to try and save face in front of the membership!  

Jesus and I look forward to your continued Bible Stupidity in other threads, where this specific one of yours herewith will go on record to be referred too in the future in showing just how Bible stupid and ignorant you truly are, praise!

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN MEMBER LIKE "CRITICAL-TIM" THAT HAS TO CHANGE TOPICS IN HIS OWN THREAD BECAUSE HE WAS "LITERALLY" BIBLE SLAPPED SILLY®️ BY JESUS' LITERAL WORDS AND MYSELF, WILL BE ...?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
you[ Critical-Tim] had to change topics to Intersubjectivity,  Concise Explanations, yada, yada, yada to try and save face in front of the membership!  LOL!

Nail on head, Brother D.