is it a juvenile view to think we're slaves to society?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 44
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
the average worker is a slave to society.... essentially a slave to the powerful. it's not outright slavery, but it basically is. there is an element of violence imposed on the average worker, cause he has no means of changing the system other than the electoral process

i said that to someone i respect a lot, and they said it's a juvenile world view. i view it as just calling a spade a spade. what do ya'll think? 
Kouen
Debates: 5
Kouen
It just depends on your defintion of a slave. I disagree with the person that said we're all slaves but he/she can simply take the definition that matches with their ideology 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Kouen
if you dont want to call it slavery, what would you call it? you do acknowledge that the average person must work 40 hours a week for most of his adult life just to survive, and he has no choice in the matter other than to be poor or homeless as the alternative?
Kouen
Kouen
-->
@n8nrgim
Again, it's all a question of definitions. For me to call someone a slave, there would have to be a person or people that literally own that person and forces them to do specific work for them.

You're not forced to do anything you can choose your job you can be self-employed, an entrepreneur, etc., you have a choice, a slave has no choice.

If your point is that people have to work long and hard just to survive, well, would you call the tribes slaves too? 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Kouen
You say slaves have no choice. The average person has no effective choice. If the alternative is destitution, they have no choice. At best, given they can choose jobs and try to work for themselves they have a choice in slavery. 

I'm not saying needing to work is slavery. Tribal folks have a choice in how to survive. The way our society is structured the average person has no choice
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Yay I am a slave
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
Essentially humans are all slaves to something since we can't fully win the war against entropy.

(you have no choice but to be mortal, pitre dish for viruses, for examples)
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@n8nrgim
the average worker is a slave to society.... essentially a slave to the powerful. it's not outright slavery, but it basically is. there is an element of violence imposed on the average worker, cause he has no means of changing the system other than the electoral process

i said that to someone i respect a lot, and they said it's a juvenile world view. i view it as just calling a spade a spade. what do ya'll think? 
When we are "juvenile" we live with our parents, we are "entitled" to a certain standard of living without having to work, to carry that feeling of entitlement into adulthood to feel that having to have a job is an act of violence, certainly isn't what I'd call a grown up world view, I can certainly understand why someone would call that a juvenile world view. 

If you were just calling a spade a spade, then you'd be calling working working, calling working slavery is drama.

Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@n8nrgim
Then it would be voluntary slavery
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Lets pretend that we have a choice in life.

Then we can be happy slaves, not like those sad slaves in movies.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
I suggest you stick to simple terms, such as

"Humans are forced to work"

"Humans have little choice in work"

When you throw in big words like slavery, most people wont understand what you are saying because their defense mechanisms trigger and they block information from reaching their brains.

Obviously, anyone with a dictionary can see that slavery is forced work, and most humans are forced to work, so most humans are slaves. However, the average person due to having 60 IQ cannot understand that slavery isnt just being forced to work with a whip. However, due to failure of an average person to use a dictionary, average person will never understand you and you will just end up in non-productive conversation.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@n8nrgim
What is your concept of freedom as a contrast?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@cristo71
The pioneer days and wild west were free. If a person wants 100 acres of crops and to plant some apple trees, all they have to do is go do it. Can a person go plant an apple tree now when they r starting out in life? Nope. Is this limitation a law of nature? No its a law of man. He can't go rode his horses around but must buy a car if he wants to survive. He's forced to work 40 hours a week. Is voluntary slavery a sensible concept? I'd say it is, and that shoe fits here 
FLRW
FLRW

I don't  know why any poor person (worth less than $300 million) even wants to live.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@n8nrgim
You are free to join a commune or live off the grid with your survival skillset if you wish. The key word here is “free.”
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@cristo71
Communrs and land and building supplies cost money. A below average income has little choice.

Do you agree voluntary slavery exists? A person can choose to be someone's slave. How is the average person any different than a person choosing to be a slave?
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@n8nrgim
I disagree with your view, yes. Survival has ALWAYS required work. You seem to believe that constitutes slavery. Yes, that is a belief of a juvenile. You are free to make choices. A slave can only choose between obedience or a damn good thrashing.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
In the modern context, we generally use the word "enslave" as an active choice of a person to subjugate another person by force.

Extending the word toward nature would water the definition down significantly. (no pun intended)
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Greyparrot
Indeed. Some wage earners seem to confuse “cannot seem to get ahead” with slavery. Is “getting ahead” a human right now? I missed where primitive peoples had pensions and were eventually able to own BMWs and have exclusive country club memberships.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@cristo71
you didn't answer my question. "Do you agree voluntary slavery exists? A person can choose to be someone's slave. How is the average person any different than a person choosing to be a slave?"
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@n8nrgim
Are you talking about indentured servitude?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@cristo71
what does it matter what it's called? is it possible to go to someone and say "i will be your slave if you take care of me"?

i dont think joining a commune makes practical sense. but i suppose it's possible for a bunch of people to live in a house even if they dont get their own room. then they might only have to work part time. we are all dependent on the current economic system, though, so there's at least a little bit of forced 'voluntary' slavery at play. 

there's at least enough unfairness that it should be the basis of a social contract and basic social safety net. even if it's not considered slavery. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
All U.S. citizens are by definition "debt-slaves" by means of the 14th Amendment.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
And 16th.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@n8nrgim
what does it matter what it's called? is it possible to go to someone and say "i will be your slave if you take care of me"?
It matters because indentured servitude is actually a thing, and it is a temporary arrangement until one’s debt is paid off. Your idea of permanent servitude by choice exists only in your imagination.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Why don't you say once and for all that you are communist? 😁
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@n8nrgim
Communrs and land and building supplies cost money. A below average income has little choice.
These supplies cost hard work. The fact that this work can be expressed as money doesn't mean it's not hard work anymore. 

So you work hard to build your own commune or go to the cities to earn some money working hard so someone else build it for you. It's the same shit. Lol.

That's why I say you have a communist mindset, those people expect someone else to pay their bills. 

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
That's why I say you have a communist mindset, those people expect someone else to pay their bills.
My parents taught me that its rude to be selfish and to not share. So dont be rude and pay my bills.
Kouen
Kouen
-->
@n8nrgim
Welcome to planet Earth. The average person always needed to work hard to survive.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
Darwinism has a way of taking care of those who can't take care of themselves.