All people should have the right to own guns.
The debate is finished. The distribution of the voting points and the winner are presented below.
After 1 vote and with 1 point ahead, the winner is...
- Publication date
- Last updated date
- Number of rounds
- Time for argument
- One week
- Max argument characters
- Voting period
- One month
- Point system
- Winner selection
- Voting system
To whoever joins this debate, best of luck. If the Con wants to try and either message me questions or comment questions for me, I will do my best to answer them, but I'm not making a guarantee due to my schedule. Lastly, before we start the debate, to structure the debate, I use a system like this
1. Main point.
A. Impacts to show what happens if we don't solve the main point.
B. Another impact if present.
I. Roman numerals to show sub impacts if applicable.
This little bit is a copy and paste, so all these points might not be in every debate I'm in.
On the topic itself, I as Pro am going to add framing, but that's all debatable so I'm not going to put it in the description. I want as little as possible holding Con back from doing what they feel is a good strategy to win the debate, so do your best. Only rule I would say is no new args in the last round.
Per the suggestion of MisterChris, I shall draft my arguments in a Google Docs. This was created before Ancap460 entered his(or her, or their) first argument. I will ignore my opponent’s case, no rebuttals whatsoever, because I think my point is strong enough to stand on its own.
- The resolution ensures that newborns should have the right to own guns since they are humans
- Newborns should not have the right own guns
- Thus, not all people should have the right to have guns.
- The word right shall be defined as "the power or privilege to which one is justly entitled" as defined by Merriam Webster. The reason this definition is key is because of the phrase "justly entitled". This is key because that allows Pro to say that criminals and those found dangerous through the due process don't have access to guns because they aren't justly entitled.
- Guns aren't a go pass for all types of guns. As long as the weaponry claimed can give access to the points of Pro, Then that is sufficient. I don't have to defend giving access to nuclear weapons to every person because that creates to much Con ground.
- "Gun rights" are the powers and/or privileges in which the ownership of a firearm is justified and entitled
- Only light, portable guns such as handguns count
- A newborn does not have the means to purchase a weapon. They don't have money to purchase a gun, the ability to fill out any sort of paperwork needed from a governmental or corporate entity, the ability to go get the gun from a company, or the ability to convince a gun salesman to sell to them. Without some warrant besides "it's possible", this argument is just an unwarranted issue used to distract from the actual issues brought up by the aff.
- A newborn does not have the means to use a weapon. Newborns can hold on to a toy for a few moments only (1) and don't have the full ability to pick up a gun that would weigh much more than an infant's toy. Very simply, if a baby was able to get past the very large barrier of acquiring a gun, they would then have to get past the physically impossible barrier of them using a gun. Once again, "it's possible" isn't a justifiable argument without giving us the actual story of how it happens.
- Minors that can use money and can use guns but are still not old enough to be ready for guns should not be able to own guns
- Serial killers that intend harm with guns should not be able to own guns
- Thus, not all people should be able to own guns, and Pro has failed to fulfill his BoP
- Vote for Con!
- Kids using guns ---> Not justly entitled
- Murderers ---> Let other people get guns to protect themselves
- Let's just say if all people are justly entitled, then what about minors? Pro defended not that point and did not think them as really justly entitled to own guns.
- Pro's resolution would argue for a world in which everyone is entitled to own guns, which disproves himself since he does not think newborns can even work a gun nor have the means to purchase them.
- The modifier "All people" and the word "Rights" are present, which the latter is somehow not to be granted to all human beings, would create a paradox as the resolution argues that all people should have something that only some people should be able to have regardless, which is impossible to prove.
- Pro is now moving the goalpost arguing for something he is not for
- Pro failed to fulfill his BoP
- I have demonstrated why for all people being able to own guns is bad, even Pro agrees
- Vote Con.
- Newborns, adolescents, and criminals are not justly entitled to own guns, and they should not.
- Pro puts up an oxymoron that is impossible to prove
- I have used lots of sources, Pro used none
- Please vote Con and have a great time