Should you switch the trolley track on the problem described in the description section below?
Waiting for the instigator's second argument.
The round will be automatically forfeited in:
- Publication date
- Last update date
- Time for argument
- One week
- Voting system
- Open voting
- Voting period
- Two weeks
- Point system
- Four points
- Rating mode
- Characters per argument
This is the description I am referring to. Kritiks aren't allowed.
Trolley Problem: This is my version of the story we will be using and using any other stories that contradicts my tale will be against the rules and any points based on said other stories will be nullified.
Suppose on your job you are driving a trolley that can't be stopped for some reason, and there are 5 people tied to the track on your usual route that is the cleanest, and there is a single person tied onto an unused branch that leads to a whole different place(that can, however, lead back to your usual route, but you do not know where this branch leads to exactly). The 6 people never ride your trolley and you do not know them. In the trolley there are approx. 20-30 passengers. You have the choice of going straight and crush those 5 people vs switch the track to turn to the right, and going on a branch killing 1 person. Which one do you choose?
I, Intelligence_06, will choose the Pro stance, that is, said driver should keep going straight and in the way crushing 5 people to their death.
You, the challenger, will choose the Con stance, that is, said driver should turn to the right, go on a branch and crushing 1 person.
The Burden of Proof is shared. Good luck!
- Doing your job is more important than doing things that explicit prevent you for carrying our your mission within your job
- Your job is to drive the trolley and deliver the people to the stations, not to save random people on the tracks
- Thus, driving the trolley is more important than saving people on the tracks
- Thus, you should prefer going on the original path.
- Going on the main path is your job and doing it instead of things directly against it is better.
- We should protect people we are meant to protect in favor of people we are not meant to protect.
- Driving over 5 people will more likely to slow your trolley to a more acceptable speed, preventing further injuries for the passengers.
- The 5 people are ready for death, driving over them is more or less OK.
- The 1 person is not ready for death. You know the drill.
- You should go straight on the main path, crushing 5 people, but may more or less save the 20-30 people you are supposed to save.
“Going on the main path is your job and doing it instead of things directly against it is better.”“Driving over 5 people will more likely to slow your trolley to a more acceptable speed, preventing further injuries for the passengers.”
“The 5 people lying on the original track must have had accepted their fate to be crushed by trolley, while the one person, who accepted that he should be able to live longer because the main path is where the trolley should go.”