Christians should believe in young-earth creationism.
The debate is finished. The distribution of the voting points and the winner are presented below.
After 2 votes and with 8 points ahead, the winner is...
- Publication date
- Last updated date
- Number of rounds
- Time for argument
- Three days
- Max argument characters
- Voting period
- One month
- Point system
- Multiple criterions
- Voting system
Pro will necesarilly have the burden of proof. Pro must prove that christians should believe in young earth creationism rather than other theories.
1. Christianity is the correct religion
2. Human senses are accurate sources of information
3. Human reasoning is able to understand the world
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3.16
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. Gen 1.3
- God sends the rain. Gen 7.4
- God plants a garden. Gen 2.8
- God makes the rainbow. Gen 9.13
- God makes sulfur rain down (from volcanoes most certainly) Gen 19.24
- God preserves both animals and humans Psalms 36.6
- God forms people in the womb Jeremiah 1.5
28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being Acts 17.28
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;the skies proclaim the work of his hands.2 Day after day they pour forth speech;night after night they reveal knowledge.
- Before, Christians thought that the earth was the centre of space - but they were proven wrong. Today we acknowledge this fact
- Before, Christians thought that the earth was the centre of time - but now they have been proven wrong. In the future people will acknowledge this fact
- The Bible is composed of many different genres -- with very different purposes
- God created energy first using ex nihilo and afterwards, he created things with that energy using a priori
- The Bible and science are not incompatible -- God does things using the laws of physics
- The Bible is meant as communication between God and humans. Not for learning but for devotion, salvation, and personal change.
If human senses were accurate –EVERYONE would believe in GOD.
it is more correct that the Bible is used by God as a tool to bring about change in us
- Every event has a cause
- When the same thing happens again and again we can start identifying the cause
- When our models can predict the future correctly our theories are trustworthy
- God created "light" - which could be called photons which could be called energy
- The "vault" divided existing water
- The water already existed, it just gathered in one place (aka Gravity)
- THE LAND, NOT GOD, produced plants,
- Stars being born is STILL a thing to this very day - gravity yet again
24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. [2 Peter 3.8]
Neither the Bible nor Science is able to answer the question definitively.
The Bible is not a scientific textbook....Christian should attempt to understand the authors intention and understanding as the primary means of interpretation of a text.
- The Bible is not a scientific textbook - completely rejecting the foundation of YEC
- The knowledge of the authors was limited - completely rejecting the idea that Genesis 1-2 magically appeared to Moses or the writer
His god is a god of symbols
Con has not provided any reason to reject YEC. HE has provided reasons to reject God.
there are no alternative theories which have both plausibility, which are consistent with the Scriptures.
- Science is invalid
- The Bible is a scientific textbook.
- Firstly, it is the most natural way of reading the book of Genesis and the clear view of the author.
- Secondly which is an extension of the first argument is that Scriptures interpret Scripture. Scientific textbooks, wild theories, speculation do not interpret the Scriptures.
- Thirdly, a Christian must provide a plausible purpose for why God would create humanity on almost the last minute of the world’s existence if he created the world and humanity to glorify God.
- Fourthly, since there are no alternative theories which have both plausibility, which are consistent with the Scriptures, there is no reason to look elsewhere but the plain and natural way of understanding of the Bible.
it is the most natural way of reading the book
Secondly which is an extension of the first argument is that Scriptures interpret Scripture. Scientific textbooks, wild theories, speculation do not interpret the Scriptures.
Thirdly, a Christian must provide a plausible purpose for why God would create humanity on almost the last minute of the world’s existence if he created the world and humanity to glorify God.
- Radiometric dating has consistently proved that the earth's age is measured in billions, not thousands 
- "Earth is estimated to be 4.54 billion years old, plus or minus about 50 million years." 
- The formation of mountains, oceans and islands is still happening today with a speed of centimetres per year. [basically 9th-grade geology - 3]
- Thus - the earth and it's surface of the earth took billions of years to form.
Fourthly, since there are no alternative theories which have both plausibility, which are consistent with the Scriptures, there is no reason to look elsewhere but the plain and natural way of understanding of the Bible.
It is a ad hominin attack because he is implying I don't care about truth.
This is a theological argument, not a biblical one.
- Unless our reasoning is valid then our beliefs cannot reflect reality
- I cannot trust a belief that undermines the reliability of beliefs
- Therefore, in order to believe anything and be sure about it, I must believe in my reasoning ability.
- The same applies to our senses
However Con denies sin has any impact upon our assumptions or biases.
time or gaps or events into the passage without biblical authority to do so.
YEC believe science is valid. And YEC do not believe the bible is a textbook.
- The vagueness of genesis
- The fact that God and the laws of physics overlap
- The Bible supports science
The author of Genesis had NO concept of the Big Bang Theory
- Who wrote genesis 1-2?
- Which university did he study at?
- What degree of geology and astrophysics did he have?
- What is his opinion on the formation of atoms?
- Which experiments show his theory to be true?
- If God wrote the Bible directly he would have no motivations to put science into Genesis, YEC would be false
- If men wrote the Bible because God doesn't exist, the current understanding of the world is better, and YEC would be false
- If men wrote the Bible because God told them to do so, then they would use the knowledge they had to convey the message from God, YEC would be false
- If aliens wrote the Bible, they might have both motivation and knowledge to put real science into it, YEC could have been true