By the 19th Century, Evidence Already Showed Earth is NOT Flat
All stages have been completed. The voting points distribution and the result are presented below.
With 1 vote and 6 points ahead, the winner is ...
- Publication date
- Last update date
- Time for argument
- Two days
- Voting system
- Open voting
- Voting period
- One month
- Point system
- Four points
- Rating mode
- Characters per argument
Pro and Con cannot use any evidence from after the year 1900 MD. I will prove the Earth is NOT flat using only proofs from before 1900, therefore making it impossible to rely on NASA.
Burden of Proof is shared.
- Ships disappear over horizon NPFE (Far-reaching telescope-like lenses were invented before 19th century)
- Greek mathematician proved with different shadow length at time of year gives 7 degree curve of earth, and approx. circumference. NPFE.
- Great philosopher Aristotle also argued for the spherical earth, using the following ideas [Aristotle section]:
- Every portion of the Earth tends toward the centre until by compression and convergence they form a sphere.
- Travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon; and
- The shadow of Earth on the Moon during a lunar eclipse is round.
- Even Medieval scholars: "...unanimously agreed that the Earth is spherical or round".
- Ferdinand's circumnavigation NPFE. To add upon this, Sir Francis Drake also successfully circumnavigated.
that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
- Things merge into the horizon and appear to go over it, espeically noticed with ancient ships.
- Ships also proved that if you keep sailing in one direction you go around the equator (or some equivalent axis to it more north of it) so there appeared to therefore be no edge and if we presumed the South to be identical to the North (since only the North was where full circumnavigation occured), it would lead one to presume a globe.
- Greek scientists and mathematicians hypthesised that certain angles of shadow implied curvature (this is identical in reasoning to point 1 and requires one to assume that Earth's curvature is at play, not simple refraction and perceptive illusions).