Resolved: Israel is committing genocide in Gaza
Waiting for the next argument from the instigator.
Round will be automatically forfeited in:
- Publication date
- Last updated date
- Number of rounds
- Time for argument
- One week
- Max argument characters
- Voting period
- One month
- Point system
- Multiple criterions
- Voting system
- Minimal rating
This debate should be impossible to accept. If you wish to accept this debate please PM me directly or mention me in the comment section. Note that failure to PM/comment will result in an auto forfeit.
This debate will center on the current Israel - Gaza conflict. My opponent must show that Israel is committing genocide and I will have to show Israel is not committing genocide.
Genocide - The definition contained in Article II of the Convention describes genocide as a crime committed with the intent to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, in whole or in part. It does not include political groups or so called “cultural genocide”. https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/documents/Genocide%20Convention-FactSheet-ENG.pdf
4. Summary / Close
Genocide requires this special intent. So we actually have to show that they're [in the context of the interview Russia in their war against Ukraine]committing all these terrible crimes in order to destroy, in part or in whole, the particular group. And so that's why genocide is more difficult, because you have to get into the mind of the perpetrator, as opposed to being a look-in at the circumstantial evidence that we can see with our own eyes and our own ears.
- War crimes are breaches of the laws and customs of war.
- Crimes against humanity are defined as widespread or systemic attacks directed at civilians.
- Genocide is when crimes against humanity are carried out with the goal of eliminating a population.
December 18, 2023 :“We abort attacks when we see an unexpected civilian presence.”We are at war with Hamas, not the civilians of Gaza.Our intent is to defeat Hamas and secure the release of the 129 Israeli hostages still held captive in Gaza.
December 4, 2023 Hamas deliberately embeds itself among civilians so that Gazans will bear the consequences of Hamas atrocities.Our war is against Hamas—not the people of Gaza. We are taking extensive measures to mitigate harm to the civilians that Hamas uses as shields.
November 29, 2023 “The IDF will rescue our hostages, dismantle Hamas, and do it while minimizing the harm to civilians.”––Lt. Col. Richard Hecht, IDF International Spokesperson
October 14, 2023 The world needs to know: we are at war with Hamas, NOT the people of Gaza.
November 14, 2023 [8 and 9]The IDF has reopened an evacuation route for Gazan civilians to move south for their safety.The IDF has repeatedly called on the residents of Gaza City to evacuate from the area, and continues to urge them to do so. We are not at war with the people of Gaza.Instead of treating the ill, Hamas uses hospitals for terrorism. This sick exploitation of the Gazan people must be stopped.The IDF is conducting a ground operation in Gaza to defeat Hamas and rescue our hostages. Israel is at war with Hamas, not with the civilians in Gaza.
As well as carrying out unlawful killings, others abducted by Hamas were subjected to torture, including severe beatings with truncheons, gun butts, hoses and wire or held in stress positions. Some were interrogated and tortured or otherwise ill-treated in a disused outpatient’s clinic within the grounds of Gaza City’s main al-Shifa hospital. At least three people arrested during the conflict accused of “collaboration” died in custody.
“Hamas forces have displayed a disregard for the most fundamental rules of international humanitarian law. Torture and cruel treatment of detainees in an armed conflict is a war crime. Extrajudicial executions are also war crimes. The de facto administration in Gaza must send a message to all law enforcement forces to treat prisoners humanely at all times. All allegations of extrajudicial execution and torture must be impartially and independently investigated and the perpetrators brought to justice in fair trials,” said Philip Luther.
The abduction of civilians is prohibited by international law and hostage taking is a war crime. All civilians held hostage must be released immediately, unconditionally, and unharmed. All those held captive must be treated humanely, in accordance with international law and granted medical treatment.
Videos verified by Amnesty International show Hamas fighters abducting, intentionally killing civilians in and around Israeli residential communities close to the Gaza Strip on 7 October.
At the same time, Hamas and other militants use civilians as human shields and continue to launch rockets indiscriminately towards Israel.
- The International Court of Justice just ruled against Israel and determined that South Africa successfully argued that Israel’s conduct plausibly could constitute genocide. [responsiblestatecraft]
- A federal judge found that Israel is plausibly engaging in genocide of the Palestinian people in Gaza, and charged the Biden Administration with failing to prevent genocide. [ccrjustice].
- The International Federation for Human rights conclude that Israel is unfolding the crime of genocide in Gaza, based on the evidence I cited them for earlier. [FIDH]
- Many Israeli youths don’t want to serve in army and help commit genocide [youtube].
- Lying about illegal use of white phosphorus - October 2023
- Lying about deadly airstrike on civilian convoy - October 2023
- Lying about the murder of Palestinian-American journalist - May 2022
- Lying about bombing of media offices in Gaza - May 2021
- Doctoring video to falsely claim medic murdered by Israeli sniper was human shield - June 2018
- Israel often accused Hamas of using human shields
- But human shielding has a specific definition: forcibly bringing or keeping civilians in an area to prevent enemies from conducting military operations there.
- The investigation found NO EVIDENCE that Hamas used this tactic
- Israel often claimed that Hamas fired rockets close to civilian buildings:
- Many of these cases were disproven by satellite images and field reports
- Many others could not be verified
- A few cases were verified:
- But even among these launches many had sufficient distance from civilian buildings, or the buildings were already evacuated
- Here is one of the few examples were Israel was right:
- A rocket was moved to the parking lot next to the al-Shifa hospital and launched
- But never was a rocket launched from the same spot again
- Nor did any of the nearby civilian buildings store any rockets or house militants
- So Israel striking the hospital full of civilians had no valid military purpose
- This is true for most of Israel's attacks
- Israel often bombed civilian homes and public buildings they knew had no military targets
- Sometimes a rocket would be launched from the ruins days later, and Israel would then lie about the chronology
- Other times the IDF would straight up fabricate evidence of military presence
- “There are no bomb shelters or protective facilities for the 2.3 million Gazans, and no place in the Strip was truly safe during the hostilities”
- Civilians who listened to Israel and evacuated were also targeted by the bombing.
- Therefore Hamas told people to stay in their homes in order to prevent panic and chaos which would have made the situation in Gaza even worse.
- Not because they wanted more Palestinians to die.
- 50% of munitions are unguided
- illegal white phosphorus is repeatedly dropped on civilians
- evacuation spots declared safe are still bombed
- Israeli airstrikes have specifically targeted hundreds of protected buildings filled with refugees
- Houses are bombed and families are wiped out with no warning
- Also everything I stated in R1 about their bombing campaign applies here aswell.
Israel is not fighting against Hamas but against civilians, implementing a criminal policy of bombings. [reliefweb]