Is it the theory of evolution or evolution?

Author: Mall

Total: 85
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mall
From what I'm understanding and being told is that the word theory is another word for fact .
a scientific theory is a demonstrably useful DESCRIPTION with some explanatory power and engineering potential

this is certainly not synonymous with the word "fact"
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mall
Now people may use the term however they use it.
People always use terms incorrectly. The word dumb actually has nothing to do with your intelligence, it means you can't speak.

Insanity is a clinical designation, it doesn't mean "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results".

Begging the question is a logical fallacy where one assumes the premise they are trying to prove at the outset, it doesn't mean "it really needs to be questioned"

These are all creations of popular culture. Sometimes words get misused so often that dictionaries have to add definitions to account for it. Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.

"Theory" has fallen into the same phenomenon.

Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@Double_R
it doesn't mean "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results".
Yeah, its actually stupid to do same thing over and over and expect same result. Like, most jokes are only funny once. Getting punched once is not same result as getting punched repeatedly.
Mall
Debates: 341
Mall
-->
@3RU7AL
@baggins
To baggins: Don't you agree with the point that "theory" is another word for fact?

Mall
Mall
-->
@Double_R
Well I don't get into about correct or incorrect use of terms. Correct or incorrect based on what?
Official consensus, the majority, the lexiconographers.

Just like here in this topic I'm starting to get conflict over the word "theory". But all I'm doing is just getting understanding of what individuals are saying and how the individual uses the term so that we can communicate effectively and understand each other.

That's what it is at the end of the day. We communicate in a language we can understand, otherwise there's no sense in communicating.
baggins
Debates: 4
baggins
-->
@Mall
Don't you agree with the point that "theory" is another word for fact?
I have answered that question. No. 

The word “theory” on its own is not a synonym for “fact”, its a synonym for “an idea or hypothesis”.

“Scientific theory” is also not a synonym for a “fact” but consists of our best explanations for certain FACTS so it could be considered as a fact. But the definition of “scientific theory” is more than that as mentioned before
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@baggins
“Scientific theory” is also not a synonym for a “fact” but consists of our best explanations for certain FACTS so it could be considered as a fact. But the definition of “scientific theory” is more than that as mentioned before
well stated
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
Relax brother . Let's have a laid back exchange
Im relaxed and we are having a laid back exchange. If my use of capital letters made it look like Im not relaxed sorry. When I type certain things in caps its just because Im trying to focus your attention on a specific words. Im just too lazy to put it in bold sometimes so caps is faster. For example when we keep talking about scientific theory and you keep leaving the word “scientific” out of your questions I have to start putting SCIENTIFIC in caps.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mall
That's what it is at the end of the day. We communicate in a language we can understand, otherwise there's no sense in communicating.
Agreed. The reason this particular misapplication of the word theory generates so much blowback is because it's a very common retort from theists wherein their own ignorance of what the word means in a scientific context is being used as an argument against an established scientific fact. On a large scale, this argument is dangerous and sets all of us back, so the more educated we all are the better.
Mall
Mall
-->
@3RU7AL
@baggins
I'm trying to get us in the conversation here. I'm not asking for my information.This other individual is conveying theory is not another word for fact.

So we're all speaking something different here. Which is one reason why many receive the theory of evolution as non fact.
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
I am not sure if you’re trolling at this point but its obvious that for some reason you cannot understand what scientific theory is even if its spelled out for you.

So instead of going in circles I will give you for the sake of the argument that Evolution is not proven as a fact and its just a guess. Now lets see if this guess is true or not. Tell me what you know about evolution and where do you see the problems with it. 

Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
Wow, I really learning something new here. It makes a whole lot more sense and is more realistic that many people in religions reject or don't believe in the theory (uncertain belief) of evolution as opposed to rejecting it as a fact. Let's grant that these folks define the word "theory" as that. 

When you Google search this, that's just what the definition comes out to. All the synonyms are of an idea, premise, presupposition, proposition, etc.

The antonym is fact. But what I'm getting from you, in the cult of popular opinion or the science community depending on how one sees that, the word "theory" just translates to "fact" anyway conveniently.

So in light of all this, granted these folks see it this way. We'll also grant that they're honest folks. Be it that, they know what facts are . They're aware of what facts they do know. Just like the fact of water cleansing. Just like the fact of fire burning. They don't reject those facts or any facts. They're honest as we grant the religion they're in teaches them the value of honesty and the truth that will surely make them free .

Therefore it is likely for these folks to be unaware of this subject you're calling fact. Wouldn't you agree they're more likely ignorant as opposed to rejecting what is called truth?

Of what they may know that is perceived as truth but not actual truth. See because any form of reasoning based on a subset of facts to come to a conclusion doesn't necessarily make the conclusion fact . Just a hypothesis and to those particularly use the word"theory"(hypothesis) just a theory.

It stands to reason that if evolution was fact, many religions would be shut down by now. You can give your thoughts on that or not. Now according to what you're saying, evolution (something that became a complete human) is a scientific fact.

You said yes to the question that empiricism is involved in science. How do we get empirical input of a thing that has become a complete man?
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
Wont discuss what theory means with you anymore, like I said lets assume you are right for the sake of your argument and we say Evolution is not a fact and theory is just a guess. 

Now you can start asking me questions about this “guess” and see if my answers make sense. 

You said yes to the question that empiricism is involved in science. How do we get empirical input of a thing that has become a complete man?
Evolution (definition) : 
“change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.”

The theory of evolution explain how does that work:
-Through random mutations and Natural selection .

Everything we know about random mutations and natural selection and how it leads to change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations is based on observations that later became facts. How they became facts? I will copy what I told you already earlier: 

1. Observation: Scientists observe patterns…

2. Hypothesis: They propose a hypothesis to explain the observations,…

3. Testing: Scientists conduct experiments, gather data, and analyze evidence to test the hypothesis.
(EMPIRICAL)

4. Peer Review: The research and findings undergo rigorous evaluation by other experts in the field.

5. Consistency and Predictability: The hypothesis must consistently explain the observed data and make accurate predictions.

6. Broad Consensus: If the hypothesis is supported by a large body of evidence and is widely accepted by the scientific community, it can be elevated to a scientific theory.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Ebuc is a very smart dude.
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
I just tell you straight out.

You have no evidence for evolution. It's not fact .

Now you can elect to answer anymore questions or you can yield and bow out.
You got at least one individual contradicting you and you can't even face that.

How are you going to face me?

Go ahead and stand down.
Mall
Mall
Evolution is not proven fact.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Mall
@baggins
You have no evidence for evolution. It's not fact .....Evolution is not proven fact.
False

Circumstantial evidence exists for simple > complex biologic evolution.

Factual evidence exists complex > simple evolution, biologic evolution because it is so much easier to arrive at.

Factual direct evidence exists for lateral evolution of bacteria and viruses, and these both a appear as Lamarkian, in that they are adaptive to their environmental circumstances.

We have no direct evidence of biologic life originating on Earth or anywhere else in Universe, ergo, a Universe of occupied space is eternal, then it is feasible that the coding for biologic life eternally exists in black holes outer or inner event horizon --See Roy Kerr rotational black hole info---.

Woman > man are most complex entities of Universe.  Because of their degree of access to Meta-space mind/intellect/concepts and ego.

It is a fact that, that all info we have, confirms that, all biologics on Earth comes from a prior existing biologic.     

Some biologic mothers can pop exact clones of themselves ergo no sex is involved because, there are no male in that specical-case set of bioloigic species.

All other progeny on Earth come from sexual encounter of their parents.  Fungi can have thousands of differrent sexes

..." It's really a form of bacterial sex which, oddly enough, is entirely separate from bacterial reproduction. Conjugation occurs when two bacteria — a donor and a recipient — sidle up to each other. The donor creates a tube, called a pilus, that attaches to the recipient and pulls the two cells together. "..

baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Sure Zed, to some degree that is true.

Many years of many varied fields of work experience,  --not much money tho--  and personal intellectual exploration, ---ex Bucky Fullers writings inspired me a lot--  altho, I quit school in 11th year.  And opening statement in Fullers Syngergetics is " Dare to be Naive ".  So I have. My two profile quotes are also relevant to my intellectual endeavours.

And since the existence of internet, so much info is available to find, and to verify. 

And a desire to find truth in those varied fields of science with the coordinates of nature/Universe ---Bucky Fuller-- leading my motivations in those directions.

Jack of many trades, and master of none, altho, my circumstances have allowed me to learn from others who are masters in those fields.

To bad I never learned computer graphics and more math, then I could better illustrate my cosmic ideas, so as it is easier for others to visually see what it is I see, and what I dont see but would love to see if the math and graphics were available to me via others contribution
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
Looks like case closed and the evolution I'm talking about is a thing that has become a complete human. 

I think you concede on there being no evidence for that. Now if you have another concept in mind, I thought so. You're better off trying to argue that as proven fact.
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
I think you concede on there being no evidence for that
Absolutely ! I was actually lying about everything but you saw through conspiracies ! Everything I said about Evolution is wrong and human came from Adam and Eve . I’ll know not to try to fool you again ! Thanks for the discussion 👍 
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
That's what I thought. Can't defend what you believe getting impatient and annoyed over the word theory when Google contradicts you as well as another individual on this thread that appears you didn't refute contradicts you. 

You ain't gonna be able to handle any more questions. You got that other individual all confused up, the individual I'm in a debate with changing back and forth from not proving to trying to prove evolution. 
I guess if the person sees your response, the person will recant again.
baggins
baggins
-->
@3RU7AL
@Mall
@FLRW
@Double_R
You ain't gonna be able to handle any more questions
Yes, God is my witness that I cannot take any more questions about whats “theory” from you, especially after 5 more people explained it to you too multiple times in detail. You are right about that. We are all wrong (sorry guys but its time to admit we were all lying to him and we got our stories mixed up thats why we “contradict” each other )
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
In your recent debate about evolution you say this probably referring to this thread.

I thought so. It is a theory like I said. Everyone that has denied that, recant and agree with me.
Nobody has denied that evolution is a theory. It is a scientific theory. I am very inclined to believe at this point that you could be an atheist troll who is trying to make “believers” (or idk who) look bad because theres no way so many people explained to you so simply what the difference between “scientific theory” and “everyday theory” is and you still dont get it. We explained to you how something to be established as scientific theory it needs to be based on confirmed empirical observations and experiments (aka f-a-c-t-s). Now the reason I think you are a troll is because you have failed to respond or acknowledge anything anyone has said to you and you have continued to ask the same question without  showing  any intentions of engaging with the information presented to you and digging your feet into the mud being stuck on the question “but whats a theory”. Even after I told you I will give you for the sake of the argument that evolution is not a fact you refused to move on with the conversation and explore it which shows me you never actually read a single book about evolution so you cannot have any real questions about it.. What kind of questions can you ask me if you cant understand the definition of “scientific theory” because it has the word “theory” in it. Am I to expect that after we move past this, if at all, you will then start asking me actual questions about evolution?  If you were an honest person, you would have moved past what scientists define as scientific theory because thats not up to debate and thats a term with already established definition in the field if science and thats how they use it and thats how we use it too. Or like I said you are simply trolling
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
This troll rhetoric is not a rebuttal to what I've said so you can keep saying that. Just tells on the fact.
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
I told you to relax. Are you bothered with all this ?

Trying to defend evolution had you lose your patience.
baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
Evidence for common descent.

What is a scientific method.

Phylogenetics.

Morphological parahomology
Molecular parahomology
Morphological analogy
Molecular analogy
Morphological suboptimality
Molecular suboptimality
Irreducible complexity and suboptimality

Protein functional redundancy
DNA functional redundancy
Transposons
Redundant pseudogenes
Endogenous retroviruses

Intermediate and transitional forms
Reptile-birds
Reptile-mammals
Ape-humans
Legged whales
Legged seacows
Chronology of common ancestors

Anatomical vestigial structures
Positive evidence demonstrates lack of functionality
Negative evidence is scientific when controlled
Atavisms
Newborn babies with tails
Molecular vestigial structures
Ontogeny and developmental biology
Present biogeography
Past biogeography

Change and Mutability

Feast your eyes upon facts. Empirical facts.

baggins
baggins
-->
@Mall
Hurry up and disprove that because I have more.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

Yes
Mall
Mall
-->
@baggins
I don't have to disprove anything because you didn't prove anything. That's why nobody is accepting that debate challenge because you can't prove that and the individual I was in a debate with acknowledged this in the first round.

So we're all good.