states with stricter gun control have fewer mass shootings

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 285
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
I take them at their words, I don't have to prove anything, there is no way to show the ban had any effect.  There is no proof of correlation, so to use Australia as an example that gun bans work can't be proven.

"almost never"  lol good one.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Alec
If you have 1 pistol and your up against 3 people all with pistols and you show them the pistol, it won't be enough of a deterrent to protect yourself.  Your outnumbered with guns.  Showing them a AK 47 would help prevent anyone from getting robbed, and would prevent anyone from getting shot.
No, as in the third example of your source

I just listed a sample.  You have about a 1/20 chance of getting robbed in your lifetime(http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm).  Given that people are alive for a long time, it is safe to assume that you yourself have a significant chance of getting robbed.  To make it personal, my aunt got robbed, and that is just within my family.  Robberies are common.
Yeah, but we're specifically discussing what makes AR-15's worth keeping. Meaning that data that is discussed should be in the context of defensive uses of AR-15s. AR-15's could be used in the defense of a robbery. However so could some other firearm.

Most mass shootings are caused by handguns.  Only a fraction are caused by AK 47s and AK 15s combined.
But the point is, they don't appear to have common or appropriate usage outside of mass shootings that cannot also be replaced with other solutions or other firearms. Hence there is no good reason not to ban them outright
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@dustryder
But the point is, they don't appear to have common or appropriate usage outside of mass shootings that cannot also be replaced with other solutions or other firearms. Hence there is no good reason not to ban them outright
There are many unreported times when people use AK 47s to defend their house against multiple people.  I imagine most robberies happen with multiple robbers because robbers have incentive to work in packs.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
There are many unreported times when people use AK 47s to defend their house against multiple people.  I imagine most robberies happen with multiple robbers because robbers have incentive to work in packs.
If it's unreported, then it's not really useful for forming policy decision. Because it's guesswork and it doesn't tell us anything. You've given examples where a handgun would've probably sufficed but you haven't given any examples where an AK-47/AR-15 would've only sufficed. And hence my conclusion can only be that the negative uses of AR-15 severely outweigh the positive uses

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
imo the approach to this subject should be, why is it anyone else's business what I own?  There is no "needs" test for firearms, if there was it wouldn't be a right.  I don't need permission to protect my life or someone else's, but depending on what happens I may have justify the outcome.  This goes along very well the freedom of speech which only the U.S. has.  Those who haven't lived it can't really understand it.  This is why other countries can make hate speech laws and similar, compelled speech, but that can't happen in the U.S.
We can get into the weeds about tactical advantage of (insert gun here) but that is really a different thing than the suggestion that banning AK47's would somehow have some statistical difference in the murder rate.  Personally I'd rather have an AK74 or some kind of bullpup, but that's a different topic.

the ignorance of singling out AR-15s is just that ignorant, since the .223 has many different platform options included in the mini-14 which usually has a wooden stock but in all practical purposes is the same as the AR-15, there just really cosmetic differences.  Look up some videos on comparisons between the AR-15 and AR-10, that will help you really understand their ignorance about guns.  Oh and there are AR-15 and AK-47 pistols so....there's that.
Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
This country is pretty big.  If 1/20 households get robbed in their lifetimes, that is about 5 million households in around 50 years then that means around 100,000 households get robbed annually in the US.  A majority of these have multiple robbers responsible.  There aren't that many shootings.  Is there a consistent homicide difference between the time period before a state abolished AK 47s and after the AK 47 ban?
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
This is going to surprise dustryder.

Guns are like cars.  I think you should be allowed to own any car/gun you want.  But they should not be classified as a right for people.  They are a privilege.  Anyone with any type of car/gun should get trained on how to use it and should be made sure they aren't going to use the car/gun poorly.  They are tools.  Not toys.  If you race with a car on a speed limit 25 mph road, you should have your license revoked.  If you decide to shoot in the city recklessly, then you shouldn't own a gun.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
look, this has been tried and it did NOTHING!!!!!
The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), officially the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, is a subsection of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a United States federal law, which included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms that were defined as assault weapons as well as certain ammunition magazines that were defined as "large capacity."

study, by the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania, found no significant evidence that either the assault weapons ban or the ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds had reduced gun murders.

In 2003, the Task Force on Community Preventive Services, an independent, non-federal task force, examined an assortment of firearms laws, including the AWB, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence."[33] A review of firearms research from 2001 by the National Research Council "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence outcomes." The committee noted that guns were relatively rarely used criminally before the ban and that its maximum potential effect on gun violence outcomes would likely be very small.[34]

even the CDC studied it and can you guess what they concluded?????

Regardless this still doesn't stop CRIMINALS they don't care about laws.

I take that back, the ban did do something, especially when Obama wanted to do it again, it created a huge demand for them.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
you must understand the history and why it is a right, but a right you can loose if you are reckless like the example you gave.  I refer you back to the post I made about all the felons who tried to buy a gun illegally, because they aren't allowed to, through the NICS check and how many were actually prosecuted.
We have many laws that could and should be better enforced and stiffer punishments.  Wouldn't that be a good place to start?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
This country is pretty big.  If 1/20 households get robbed in their lifetimes, that is about 5 million households in around 50 years then that means around 100,000 households get robbed annually in the US.  A majority of these have multiple robbers responsible.  There aren't that many shootings.  Is there a consistent homicide difference between the time period before a state abolished AK 47s and after the AK 47 ban?
If your argument that AR-15s *could* defend against some of these robberies and therefore they should be kept, you need to actually demonstrate that this is something that they are currently used for, and where no other firearm can be used for. We cannot create policy based on what *could* be. We can only create policy based on what *is*.

Guns are like cars.  I think you should be allowed to own any car/gun you want.  But they should not be classified as a right for people.  They are a privilege.  Anyone with any type of car/gun should get trained on how to use it and should be made sure they aren't going to use the car/gun poorly.  They are tools.  Not toys.  If you race with a car on a speed limit 25 mph road, you should have your license revoked.  If you decide to shoot in the city recklessly, then you shouldn't own a gun.
I mean.. the analogy here is the purchasing of a car that isn't used for legitimate uses such as transport, and is only ever used to run people over. Now, some people use it to run over intruders in their homes, but the majority of users use it to run people over in public places as an act of terrorism.

And of course, there are a handful of other differences. You actually need a license to drive. In some states, this is not true for guns. And of course, the primary purpose of a gun is to maim something else. The primary purpose of a vehicle is for transport
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you must understand the history and why it is a right
It is a right because the Founding fathers wanted protection against a tyrannical government.  The 2nd amendment says in it that guns are necessary for the security of a free state.  The thing is, if we take away guns from criminals once until they have served on "gun parole" for enough time, it reduces crime and reduces homicide.

I think the measure of the overall homicide rate is more accurate as to saving lives then reducing mass shootings because not everyone who dies in a gun attack died from a mass shooting.  They could have been the only person to die in a gun attack.  Mass shootings are when 4+ people are killed by a single murderer.

Did the time period from 1994-2004 experience a lower homicide rate in the US then the time period before and after?  I honestly don't know.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm states various crime counts and rates for the US.  Right before 1994, the homicide rate was between 8.5 and 9.0 deaths per 100,000.  When the ban was put in place, the homicide rate fell to around 6 per 100,000.  However, here is where I get confused.  When the ban was repealed in 2004, the homicide rate didn't spike up again.  It actually fell slightly.  It's tough to say if AK 47s have an impact on the nationwide homicide rate.

You state they will get guns illegally, but it would be harder for criminals to do it, therefore making crime more rare.

We have many laws that could and should be better enforced and stiffer punishments.
It depends on the law.  If you want to make the punishment for murder more intense, I'm on board with that.  Death to murderers.  However, if you want to make speech laws tougher, I wouldn't support that.

Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
We cannot create policy based on what *could* be. We can only create policy based on what *is*.
I think AK 47s do provide protection against multiple people.  How can this be accomplished with any other gun?  A pistol only fires one shot at a time and won't do you much good against a crowd of invaders, all armed.
dustryder
dustryder
I give no credibility to other countries because there is no logical comparison.  The U.S. doesn't have hate speech laws because freedom of speech is a fundamental right protected, and other rights which other countries don't have, by the U.S. constitution and bill of rights, as one of many examples of differences.
It doesn't seem you are looking at the big picture.  Yearly murders is my priority.  One mass shooting of 50 is less important to me than 1000 murders per year.  This concern or outrage of single rare events boggles the mind when far more 1 and 2 murders add up to so much more per year than these anomalies as you put it.
This term "mass shooting" is a scare tactic which should be obvious.  Recently this crazy man killed is pregnant wife and his 2 children, so 4 people, mass murder?  Not really since they were all related and it was contained to that one instance and family.  He didn't use a gun, don't you want to stop nuts like that?  I do.
I understand where you're coming from. It's like car accidents and airplane accidents isn't it? Car accidents are far more common and kill far more people than airplane accidents, and yet airplane accidents are comparatively given far more coverage.

However, this does not mean we should entirely ignore airplane accidents. And in the same vein, while you are keen to brush over mass shootings just because they are but a small portion of yearly murders, they should not be dismissed just because you are uncomfortable with the solutions.

Reducing the amount of murders is admirable, focusing on how someone is murdered is far from admirable.  And you are specifically talking about mass shootings.  You can have a mass murder but without it being a mass shooting.
How do you propose to do that?  A house to house search and confiscation by people WITH guns?  How do you stop the black market given the videos I posted and 3d printing?  If getting rid of guns is so easy why can't they get them away from criminals?  How many illegal guns are on the streets?  No one could possibly know.  If all manufacturing stopped today, how long would it take for all the guns to eventually break and or be taken away from criminals?  few thousand years?  maybe more?
What about the police and military?  their guns get stolen, what do you do about that?  How do you stop guns coming in over the Mexican border?
The first step to achieving something is not by whinging that it's impossible or too difficult and ignoring it. It's by acknowledging that there is a problem and that something that needs to change. You've listed many barriers to reducing the amount of guns. That's fine, there is no one solution to gun violence. But it doesn't mean you sit on your hands after the first hiccup. You further refine and develop your strategy. The first step of this, is to acknowledge that there is no place for AR-15s in the hands of civilians. 

if you didn't watch or understand the video of the murders per 100k it explains that if you actually look at the specific data, murders are mostly narrowed to a small number of counties in the U.S.  This is why general sweeping idea such as yours are illogical.  If you want to address murders look and where they are happening, that seems to be a pretty painfully obvious first step, and yet that doesn't really happen.
Chicago has been the poster city for murders, in fact they keep weekend totals.  What's been tried to address that?  They did have a ban which didn't help, but that's pretty much it.  
You seemed to selectively ignore facts like the assault weapons ban did nothing to affect crime rates or that people are murdered by other ways than guns.
I don't wish to address murders. I wish to address mass shootings.

It doesn't appear we have any real common ground.  While I want solutions to stop murders, you seem to have tunnel vision for "mass gun murders" which makes no sense at all to me.
Because stopping murders is such a general thing to want right? I mean it's certain a noble sentiment, and of course I'd like it if there were less murders. But I'd also like there to be less poverty, less carbon emissions and more education. There isn't a single policy that will address all of them. You can only build up effective policies brick by brick. Preventing mass gun murders is a brick in an overall scheme to reduce murders. But you seem to be unwilling to even start from there. If you aren't willing to start from there, where are you willing to start from?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
I think AK 47s do provide protection against multiple people.  How can this be accomplished with any other gun?  A pistol only fires one shot at a time and won't do you much good against a crowd of invaders, all armed.
It does provide protection against multiple people. But you have yet to prove that this a reasonable necessity such that it should be kept.

Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
It does provide protection against multiple people. But you have yet to prove that this a reasonable necessity such that it should be kept.
Isn't protection a basic human right?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
look, this has been tried and it did NOTHING!!!!!
The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), officially the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, is a subsection of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a United States federal law, which included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms that were defined as assault weapons as well as certain ammunition magazines that were defined as "large capacity."

study, by the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania, found no significant evidence that either the assault weapons ban or the ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds had reduced gun murders.

"In 2004, a research report commissioned by the National Institute of Justice found that if the ban was renewed, the effects on gun violence would likely be small and perhaps too small for reliable measurement, because rifles in general, including rifles referred to as "assault rifles" or "assault weapons", are rarely used in gun crimes."

"In 2019, DiMaggio concluded the ban was associated with a reduction in mass-shooting related homicides during the 1994 to 2004 time period.[38] Another study from 2015 found a small decreases in the rate of mass shootings followed by increases beginning after the ban was lifted."

In otherwords, the type of guns that were banned are not typically used in general gun crimes. Accordingly, banning them did not change overall gun crime rates in a measurable sense. However in mass shootings where assault weapons are used, there was a reduction. 

Also I think you've missed the point of the bill. The bill was created and implemented in response to mass shootings. And in this regard, the bill was successful.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
You certainly have the right to safety. And if people were regularly assaulted by throngs of robbers my opinion would definitely change. However people are not. And the people that are shot in mass shootings also have their own rights to safety.

It would be like owning a rocket launcher and your reason for owning a rocket launcher is to prevent and/or defend yourself against alien abductions. Anyone's rational response to this would be "What alien abductions?". Same thing here. Where are all the situations in which the AR-15 is *absolutely* required that an alternative firearm cannot be used?

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
in general murder rates have been going down for a while now, consistently so there wasn't like a huge decrease at any time after the ban, hence no effect could be shown, same was true in Australia.

don't be fooled by the deaths per 100k, look at the total numbers.  if the number killed stays the same but the population increases or the actual number goes up a little, the rate make look lower as a % yet more people are actually being murdered.  You have to be very careful with the creative way people manipulate statics.
Also stick with stats right from the FBI website.

California which has some of the strict/dumbest gun laws has the most murder deaths

but we'll use your link for comparison, the ban expired in 2004 so at that point it had been in effect for 10 years and the rate should be about the lowest then if the ban had any effect, then after it expired it should have gone back up right?  But what do the numbers say?
2004 total murders 16,148

then they went up a little bit but starting in 2009-2014 the rate was less than and year the ban was in effect 1994-2004, how could that be?  2015 rate was lower than most years of the ban, 2016 and 2017 were a little bit higher.  So what's that really say about the ban?

if you like the number of murders per 100k
in 2004 it was 5.5
    2014           4.4
ten years later it dropped that much AFTER the ban expired.....interesting don't you think?
     2017           5.3
and that's after the spike in sales while the greatest gun salesman was in office for 8 years (Obama if you didn't know) sales skyrocketed when he talked about bans etc which mean more guns in the civilian population, yet the rate is still lower than 2004

the first 5 years of the ban, the average was 7.54
the lowest rate during the ban was 5.5
2008-2015 the rate was UNDER 5.0, for 7 years with no ban the rate was lower than the best years (2 years of 5.5 2000 and 2004) during the ban.

let me what you think of the ban now and why

why were the actual number so low in the 1960s?
look at the number for other violent crimes, they have been going down as well.

FaustianJustice
FaustianJustice
-->
@n8nrgmi
Instead, the onus now falls on the victims of crime to instead take their injustice with force multipliers being absent their ability to acquire.  

Prevent rapes by removing men's penises.

Worthy plan, right?

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
Tell me how you or anyone could possibly know the number of mass shootings with an "assault rifle" wouldn't have gone down anyway w/o any ban at all?  The numbers fluctuate greatly when comparing certain years.

If we further break down the years both Mother Jones and the Washington Postuse, the statistics remain similar. From 1982 to 1994 (12 years), there were 19 shootings, an average of 1.5 shootings a year.
From September 1994 to September 2004—the duration of the Assault Weapons Ban—there were 15 mass shootings over 10 years; again, an average of 1.5 a year. 

how many of the mass murders were actually committed by someone using an assault rifle, funny can't seem to find the actual specifics, they claim mass murders may have gone down, but don't specifically say mass murders by assault rifle.  Can you find actual specifics as to what weapon was used, because I can't.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
a right that you can't exercise is no right at all.  what good is a right to protect your life if you don't have the means?

Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
And the people that are shot in mass shootings also have their own rights to safety.
Yes.  However, homicide in general is my measurement for how effective gun laws are.  Not every murder victim is someone that dies from a mass shooting.  Most people that get murdered don't get murdered in a mass shooting.  If AK 47s save lives, then they are worth having around.  If they do kill too many people, then they should be banned.

It would be like owning a rocket launcher and your reason for owning a rocket launcher is to prevent and/or defend yourself against alien abductions.
-Aliens that have the technological capability to come to Earth probably have defense/attacking technology far better then humans.  A rocket launcher wouldn't be effective.
-No one else owns a rocket launcher.  Other people own guns.  Just as it is a good idea for the US to have nukes because other countries have nukes.  If the US removed our nukes, we would get nuked.  If you remove AK 47s from law abiding citizens, how can they defend themselves against a crowd of robbers?  Anyone can get robbed.
-There is not enough credible proof that aliens even abduct humans.  There is evidence that people get robbed.

Where are all the situations in which the AR-15 is *absolutely* required that an alternative firearm cannot be used?
Protection against multiple people.  What other firearm can be used for this purpose?
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
don't be fooled by the deaths per 100k, look at the total numbers.
I would say the homicide rate is more accurate then the number of homicides.  Otherwise, the USA, which is a country with 1000x the population of iceland, would be around 1000x more dangerous to live since there would be 1000x more homicide.  However, the safety of the USA and Iceland is comparable.  

ten years later it dropped that much AFTER the ban expired.....interesting don't you think?
The ban lasted from 1994 to 2004.

The homicide rate for 1993 was 9.5
The homicide rate for 1994 was 9.0
The homicide rate for 1995 was 8.2

This indicates a drop due to the ban.

This is where it gets confusing.  The ban was lifted in 2004:

The homicide rate for 2003 was 5.7
The homicide rate for 2004 was 5.5
The homicide rate for 2005 was 5.6

This doesn't indicate the expected increase in homicide.

A ban on AK 47s might decrease the homicide rate.  Unless they do, banning them would be ineffective.

a right that you can't exercise is no right at all.  what good is a right to protect your life if you don't have the means?

No one out of me, you, or dustryder wants to ban all guns.  Dustryder wants to ban AK 47s.  That I think is all.  I don't know his/her full position on guns.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
Yes.  However, homicide in general is my measurement for how effective gun laws are.  Not every murder victim is someone that dies from a mass shooting.  Most people that get murdered don't get murdered in a mass shooting.  If AK 47s save lives, then they are worth having around.  If they do kill too many people, then they should be banned.
This isn't about general gun laws or homicide. It's about AR-15s and mass shootings. You need to demonstrate that AR-15s, in America, are actually used in sufficiently beneficial ways such that the horrors of using them in mass shootings are mitigated.

-Aliens that have the technological capability to come to Earth probably have defense/attacking technology far better then humans.  A rocket launcher wouldn't be effective.
-No one else owns a rocket launcher.  Other people own guns.  Just as it is a good idea for the US to have nukes because other countries have nukes.  If the US removed our nukes, we would get nuked.  If you remove AK 47s from law abiding citizens, how can they defend themselves against a crowd of robbers?  Anyone can get robbed.
-There is not enough credible proof that aliens even abduct humans.  There is evidence that people get robbed.
Ok. And how many people per year are robbed by a crowd of robbers? That is, say 3+?

Protection against multiple people.  What other firearm can be used for this purpose?
I think you've missed my point. You've stated that there is a purpose for the firearm. That's fine. Now you need to prove that this purpose is legitimate.

For example, I can state we need to develop more advanced technology for the defense of alien invaders. If I can prove that alien invaders actually occur, then there is a legitimate purpose for developing more advanced technology. If I can't, then I sound like a crazy person. What can I use to prove that alien invaders actually occur? I use facts, data and evidence. For example, I could state the exact number of alien invasions that occur per month. I could give the amount of deaths that occur per invasion etcetc.

Now, we know that robberies occur. It's a fact of life. But we don't care about robberies with only 1 or 2 robbers. A simple handgun can deal with such situations. We care about situations that only an AR-15 can deal with. That is, many robbers at once. If this is a legitimate use of AR-15s, then you need to show that:

1. There are a number of robberies that occur with a large amount of robbers all at once. For example, the amount of such events per year
2. That in such scenarios, an AR-15 was successfully used to defend the victim and hence this is a good application of the gun
3. And to argue that a handgun or other firearm would've not been sufficient in such situations

No one out of me, you, or dustryder wants to ban all guns.  Dustryder wants to ban AK 47s.  That I think is all.  I don't know his/her full position on guns.
Of course guns have lots of legitimate purposes. But clearly civilians don't need access to assault weapons. And clearly it would be better if guns weren't so accessible a la texas. I mean really, at the very least would a gun license and a gun registration be too much to ask for?
Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
This isn't about general gun laws or homicide. It's about AR-15s and mass shootings.
It's about (general gun laws and homicide).  If you want to focus in on how to prevent mass shootings, I say let the teachers be armed if they have legal guns.  If advertised on a school that they allow their teachers to be armed, that would scare would be shooters from killing people.
Ok. And how many people per year are robbed by a crowd of robbers? That is, say 3+?

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm states that around 320,000 people were robbed in 2017.  A majority of these had multiple robbers.  Home Alone had 2 robbers.  Mean girls I think was the title had 3 robbers.  Robbers get into packs.

But we don't care about robberies with only 1 or 2 robbers. A simple handgun can deal with such situations. 
A handgun can maybe deal with 1 robber.  But not 2 robbers who are armed.  You shoot on of them in self defense, the other robber shoots you in retaliation.

1. There are a number of robberies that occur with a large amount of robbers all at once. For example, the amount of such events per year
2. That in such scenarios, an AR-15 was successfully used to defend the victim and hence this is a good application of the gun
3. And to argue that a handgun or other firearm would've not been sufficient in such situations
I think I have argued why numerous times.

I mean really, at the very least would a gun license and a gun registration be too much to ask for?
I'm fin with these as requirements.  I hope that people who have autism are allowed to get autism because the vast majority of autistic people don't want to shoot up schools.  I know I have autism, and I don't want to shoot up schools.  You can prevent criminals from getting guns up to a certain point.  After that, it's safe to assume that they don't want to be criminals anymore.  I suggest making the amount of time they aren't allowed to get a gun 10x the length of their sentence(that means if they were in jail for 1 year over something, they aren't allowed to have a gun for 10 years).

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Tell me how you or anyone could possibly know the number of mass shootings with an "assault rifle" wouldn't have gone down anyway w/o any ban at all?  The numbers fluctuate greatly when comparing certain years.
No you're right. There isn't a lot of data. However the best way to move forwards is to take these preliminary results and apply them to further laws and see what pops up and then study those results further. What the incorrect thing to do is dismiss these results and sit on your hands.

If we further break down the years both Mother Jones and the Washington Postuse, the statistics remain similar. From 1982 to 1994 (12 years), there were 19 shootings, an average of 1.5 shootings a year.
From September 1994 to September 2004—the duration of the Assault Weapons Ban—there were 15 mass shootings over 10 years; again, an average of 1.5 a year. 

how many of the mass murders were actually committed by someone using an assault rifle, funny can't seem to find the actual specifics, they claim mass murders may have gone down, but don't specifically say mass murders by assault rifle.  Can you find actual specifics as to what weapon was used, because I can't.
https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=01586154-201901000-00002 gives a bit of data into actual assault rifle use

I think it's important to note why assault weapons were targeted. It's because they have the most opportunity to kill as many people as possible. So while reducing the actual average number of mass shootings per years may be a goal, so is reducing the amount of injuries/deaths in a single mass shooting event, and I don't think you've taken that into consideration which this study has.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
there was a drop, but no one can say from what or why because it happened before the
again the ban does not show what you think, you can't know those reduction numbers wouldn't have been achieved without the ban, I'm sure other programs where in play to reduce crime as well.  Look at see how NYC did it, it was called something like "broken windows"  NYC at one time was the crime capital of the U.S. and they turned it around big time, but not with bans.
How many murders happen with an ak-47?

tobacco kills, what 10x or more people per year than firearms?  no one ever talks about banning that and tobacco isn't a right?  why don't we care about all those people who die from that?

this ban idea doesn't really pass the logic test does it.
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
tobacco kills, what 10x or more people per year than firearms?
Good point.  As of right now, I agree with you.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
I think it's important to note why assault weapons were targeted. It's because they have the most opportunity to kill as many people as possible.
countless videos prove that is not correct, they are targeted because the look scary, when present with a mini 14, most people say those are ok and yet they are the same except for the cosmetics.
here watch this and you'll get a better idea of where I'm coming from and why https://youtu.be/L5CxUZp5VZA

should this be banned?  if so why? ok fine I won't do the gotcha thing again, it's a pellet gun, not even a fire arm, but sure does look scary am I right?

look up a bullet comparison chart, an AR-15 is a .223 and an Ak-47 is 7.62x39  popular hunting rounds are a .308, 30-30 and 30-06, also check out a 12 gauge shot gun slug and 00 buck shot.
ALL semi autos work the same way, pistols, rifles, shotguns it doesn't matter the mechanics are the same.

the study you present specifically talks about  fatalities, with more trauma centers, better technology in medicine etc the chances of survival is much higher in the time period of the ban vs the time prior to it.  Regardless if it had any effect during that time period, the time frame of a 7 year stretch were the rate was lower than the lowest year of the ban proves it isn't need any longer, at the very least.  If you look at the time periods there's something else going on that no one wants to see otherwise after the ban expired the rate should have gone up.  Years after it expired the rate was at all time lows but no one want to look at that or see why.  When the rate was the lowest how come it wasn't studied to see what was working and what was going right so they could do more of that?  Why not reflect back to those years to learn why the rates where so low compared to rest?  Wouldn't that be far more productive than to talk of bans again?  The rates speak for themselves, why ignore them?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
It's about (general gun laws and homicide).  If you want to focus in on how to prevent mass shootings, I say let the teachers be armed if they have legal guns.  If advertised on a school that they allow their teachers to be armed, that would scare would be shooters from killing people.
Mass shootings occur in other places apart from schools. And arming teachers brings it own host of problems

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm states that around 320,000 people were robbed in 2017.  A majority of these had multiple robbers.  Home Alone had 2 robbers.  Mean girls I think was the title had 3 robbers.  Robbers get into packs.
How do you know that a majority of these had multiple robbers? How do you know that robbers get into packs? What is your non-anecdotal evidence for suggesting this?

A handgun can maybe deal with 1 robber.  But not 2 robbers who are armed.  You shoot on of them in self defense, the other robber shoots you in retaliation.

So there are several examples in this forum of firearm defense. I don't think there was any case where the perpetrators were all armed. There were a handful of cases were the perpetrators ran after being confronted, armed or not. etcetc

At any-rate, it's clearly viable to deal with 1-3 robbers with a handgun. Of course that link only shows successes and not failures so perhaps you could find demonstrations of failures

I think I have argued why numerous times.
You've essentially said Assault Weapons can be used in situations were there are multiple targets, such as when you're being robbed by multiple people. But you've failed to demonstrate that being robbed by multiple people is a common occurence, and that only a assault weapon would've sufficed in that scenario. Or in other words, you've failed to prove that there are legitimate uses for the AR-15 that mitigate mass shooting deaths