states with stricter gun control have fewer mass shootings

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 285
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
this issue obviously isn't about saving lives and it's not about guns, it's about control, when someone says "gun control" they are actually talking about people control, or just control.  Of all the ways to prevent death, most are ignored.  What happened to tackling mental health and suicides?  I mean don't we want to help people stay live?  Guess not.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
@dustryder
as to the issue oh which is most effective, that's a personal choice for the most part but here's some things to consider.
handguns are much cheaper, easier to conceal, weigh less, you can get 30 round, even 50 round magazines for some handguns

AR-15 is very, very loud which has several benefits, it alters any other bad guys you are armed and or the neighbors that something is going on, it's a very good deterrent.  It is heavier, but easier to mount accessories like flashlights and sights on.  You could potentially shoot through barriers and hit the bad guy, far better than a pistol round.

probably the best of both worlds would be a pistol round carbine like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRISS_Vector or a pistol caliber bullpup keep in mind as scary as those look they shoot the exact same rounds as handguns.

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
countless videos prove that is not correct, they are targeted because the look scary, when present with a mini 14, most people say those are ok and yet they are the same except for the cosmetics.
here watch this and you'll get a better idea of where I'm coming from and why https://youtu.be/L5CxUZp5VZA

should this be banned?  if so why? ok fine I won't do the gotcha thing again, it's a pellet gun, not even a fire arm, but sure does look scary am I right?
I mean.. are you arguing that assault weapons cannot kill people at a faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons? Ultimately that's what I'm interested in and not the aesthetics.

look up a bullet comparison chart, an AR-15 is a .223 and an Ak-47 is 7.62x39  popular hunting rounds are a .308, 30-30 and 30-06, also check out a 12 gauge shot gun slug and 00 buck shot.
ALL semi autos work the same way, pistols, rifles, shotguns it doesn't matter the mechanics are the same.
But do all semi-automatic weapons have the same clip size, reloading speed and shooting speed? I'm sure there are a number of other factors I'm not aware of.

the study you present specifically talks about  fatalities, with more trauma centers, better technology in medicine etc the chances of survival is much higher in the time period of the ban vs the time prior to it. 
Which trauma centers? Which technologies? How has the treatment of physical trauma wounds changed over those periods of time? By this logic, even if there are more mass shootings in the years after the ban, shouldn't there be on average less fatalities per mass shooting event?

Regardless if it had any effect during that time period, the time frame of a 7 year stretch were the rate was lower than the lowest year of the ban proves it isn't need any longer, at the very least.
It doesn't prove anything of the sort. Are people still getting shot by assault weapons in mass shootings? If the answer is yes, then the ban is obviously still warranted. Because there are still mass shootings in which people are getting shot by assault weapons. That the overall rate decreased is entirely irrelevant. The only relevant thing is to examine why the overall rate decreased and to see how a ban might interact with those other factors to further bring those rates lower.

If you look at the time periods there's something else going on that no one wants to see otherwise after the ban expired the rate should have gone up.  Years after it expired the rate was at all time lows but no one want to look at that or see why.  When the rate was the lowest how come it wasn't studied to see what was working and what was going right so they could do more of that?  Why not reflect back to those years to learn why the rates where so low compared to rest?  Wouldn't that be far more productive than to talk of bans again?  The rates speak for themselves, why ignore them?
I personally don't know what period you are talking about. But obviously, if there was such a period I would certainly be interested. That said, one good reason if it exists but isn't talked about might be because that there are so many myriad factors that can effect something. Determining a single factor is a herculean task. However bans are a relatively easy and direct implementation. And more importantly, preliminary results suggested that the ban was working. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
I mean.. are you arguing that assault weapons cannot kill people at a faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons? Ultimately that's what I'm interested in and not the aesthetics.

what guns fell under the ban were no different than the ones that could still be purchased except for cosmetic features, like pistol grips, folding stocks, barrel shrouds etc  The state of NY has done the same thing.  As I said an ar-15 is the same as a ruger mini 14 except for cosmetics mostly, they are both semi auto, magazine fed and shoot the exact same round.  I don't want to convince you so I'd rather you look this stuff up on your own and come to your own conclusion if what I say is accurate, if you don't think it is please ask and I'll try to clarify.
the Ruger 10/22 is a .22 rimfire rifle, not considered 'high powered' but can still kill, look at up and all the after market stocks you can drop it into, the actual trigger, barrel etc all the same, just different cosmetics.  then you'll see what i'm talking about

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
what guns fell under the ban were no different than the ones that could still be purchased except for cosmetic features, like pistol grips, folding stocks, barrel shrouds etc  The state of NY has done the same thing.  As I said an ar-15 is the same as a ruger mini 14 except for cosmetics mostly, they are both semi auto, magazine fed and shoot the exact same round.  I don't want to convince you so I'd rather you look this stuff up on your own and come to your own conclusion if what I say is accurate, if you don't think it is please ask and I'll try to clarify.
the Ruger 10/22 is a .22 rimfire rifle, not considered 'high powered' but can still kill, look at up and all the after market stocks you can drop it into, the actual trigger, barrel etc all the same, just different cosmetics.  then you'll see what i'm talking about
I'm unsure what your overall point is in terms of assault weapon bans though. Before you were trying to demonstrate that the assault weapons ban was a failure, and therefore pointless. Now you're demonstrating that the assault weapons ban was insufficient. But of course, if it was insufficient, then a properly implemented assault weapons ban is hardly pointless.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
it was/is pointless, repealing the 2a would keep the guns out of law abiding citizen's hands, because as I have stated criminals don't follow laws, that's what makes them criminals.  Then there's the black market that will expand at a huge rate, diy guns, 3d printers.  Many drugs are illegal, yes?  Does that stop people from dying from them?  No.
In 2017, there were 70,237 drug overdose deaths in the United States.

think of something illegal where you live, now how difficult would it be for you to get if it you really wanted it?

so which one kills more people overdoses or guns?  not even close is it, yet the war on drugs has been a huge failure imo.  Are drugs the problem?  Do they creep into people's homes and while they are sleeping get into their bodies?  Or is it the people who use drugs are the problem?  Same point for guns.

you didn't answer this the first time so I'll ask again

what are the specifics of this ban you propose, how would that work?

stop manufacturing or importing ak-47s and wait for those already in circulation rust or break, would take 1000 years or more.

What about those already owned by people?  Would you send people with guns to their homes to confiscate their ak-47s?  What if they won't give them up?  Would you be ok for those people with guns you've sent to use their guns?  How long should people be put in prison for not surrendering their ak-47s?

Trying to stop gun violence with gun violence doesn't seem logical to me.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
it was/is pointless
We've already established that it wasn't pointless and had promising preliminary results. You just don't like what the preliminary results entail.

repealing the 2a would keep the guns out of law abiding citizen's hands
Repealing the 2a was not my talking point. Also, repealing the 2a is not equivalent to reversing it. 

because as I have stated criminals don't follow laws, that's what makes them criminals.
And therefore all laws are utterly useless and we don't need them?

Then there's the black market that will expand at a huge rate, diy guns, 3d printers.
Neither diy guns or 3d printed guns will come close to matching the quality, reliability or production output of industrially produced guns. The use of such guns to replace industrially produced guns in mass shootings would also result in reduced deaths. It's a cute thought, but really just speculation at this point. We don't need a solution for speculative problems.

Many drugs are illegal, yes?  Does that stop people from dying from them?  No.
We've been over this. Many laws are designed to reduce a problem. Completely eliminating a problem is a goal, but unrealistic. Take seltbelts as example with readily available data. It's illegal to not wear a seltbelt while driving. Does that stop people dying with or without them? No. But they tangibly reduce the amount of deaths that occur.

think of something illegal where you live, now how difficult would it be for you to get if it you really wanted it?
I wouldn't have the first clue where to find what you're describing. That's the point of laws. They make it difficult to acquire banned objects. Taking AR-15s for example. If they were sold in a gun shop, if I were an ordinary citizen I could just into the gun shop and buy one. If they were banned and therefore not sold at a gun shop, I wouldn't know where to get a black market AR-15. Multiply this for every other ordinary citizen who wants an AR-15. Some might eventually acquire one, but the majority wouldn't.

so which one kills more people overdoses or guns?  not even close is it, yet the war on drugs has been a huge failure imo.  Are drugs the problem?  Do they creep into people's homes and while they are sleeping get into their bodies?  Or is it the people who use drugs are the problem?  Same point for guns.

They both are the problem. However from my perspective, it's easier to put guns out of the reach of the mentally deranged than to prevent the mentally deranged from committing a crime in the first place. Just because, while it's easy to arrest someone who has already committed a crime,I don't believe you can actually arrest someone who hasn't and you just think will. Are you supposed to detain every weird person with benign intentions? Finally, at a fundamental level, the victims of drugs and guns are different. Ultimately, no one is forcing you to put illicit substances in your body, and regardless there are many help programs for those who do. However victims of gun crime have no choice in the matter.

you didn't answer this the first time so I'll ask again
what are the specifics of this ban you propose, how would that work?
stop manufacturing or importing ak-47s and wait for those already in circulation rust or break, would take 1000 years or more.
What about those already owned by people?  Would you send people with guns to their homes to confiscate their ak-47s?  What if they won't give them up?  Would you be ok for those people with guns you've sent to use their guns?  How long should people be put in prison for not surrendering their ak-47s?
Trying to stop gun violence with gun violence doesn't seem logical to me.
Well I'm specifically interested in reducing the amount of mass shootings and mass shooting deaths so

1. Create an exhaustive list of firearms and features deemed as assault weapons. If the Clinton list wasn't sufficient, then I'd add onto that list. I'd also close up the "cosmetic feature" loophole or whatever
2. Ban the manufacture, import and public selling of firearms on the list
3. Implement an amnesty period with a voluntary federal buy-back program at above market value
4. Register all kept assault weapons with the appropriate authorities
5. Unregistered assault weapons that are discovered after the amnesty period are immediately destroyed. Likewise for registered assault weapons that are used in a crime
6. Assault weapons must be stored in a place that cannot be readily accessed by people other than the owner or who they permit. (ie a gun safe)

Let me ask you in turn. You've claimed that people are the problem. What are your solutions/policies for the people?

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
it's fun to watch dust lay the smack down
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
Well I'm specifically interested in reducing the amount of mass shootings and mass shooting deaths so 

1. Create an exhaustive list of firearms and features deemed as assault weapons. If the Clinton list wasn't sufficient, then I'd add onto that list. I'd also close up the "cosmetic feature" loophole or whatever
2. Ban the manufacture, import and public selling of firearms on the list
3. Implement an amnesty period with a voluntary federal buy-back program at above market value
4. Register all kept assault weapons with the appropriate authorities
5. Unregistered assault weapons that are discovered after the amnesty period are immediately destroyed. Likewise for registered assault weapons that are used in a crime
6. Assault weapons must be stored in a place that cannot be readily accessed by people other than the owner or who they permit. (ie a gun safe)

Let me ask you in turn. You've claimed that people are the problem. What are your solutions/policies for the people?
that's the problem isn't it, what's the definition of an assault weapon?  It's actually a full auto machine gun which are already heavily regulated and extremely expensive.  This is what happens when people use abstract words and are free and loose with definitions.  What's the cosmetic feature loop hole?
2,4 makes the 2a null and void
so you'd send people with guns to take by force including at gun point, lethal force to take these registered guns or ones not turned in but discovered some how and then put those people in jail for whatever time period.  Having an illegal gun is a felony and probably a 10 sentence.  Starting to sound like nazi Germany.

all firearms are sold with trigger locks fyi

You don't think people are the problem?  Do you think a normal average people are murderers or mass murderers?  What kind of mental state do you think it takes to be a murderer, normal? abnormal/disturbed?  Do you think anyone in their sane mind would murder another generally speaking?  Of the mass murderers how many would you consider sane and normal?  I'm not talking about insanity defense which is something different.
What % of mass murders are planned out rather than heat of the moment actions?  I'd say about 100%.  Do normal sane people plan out mass murders?  I don't think so, but if you do please explain.

solutions talked about but not really implemented, this could also help all violent crimes

mental health improvements, early detection of at risk children
Establish a culture of gun safety.
Impulsive anger: Explore the linkages between anger and gun violence.
Economic development: Reduce concentrated disadvantage and invest in employment opportunities.
Advance gun safety and self-defense technology.
consistent enforcement of current laws and punishments

I agree with this too
First: America has a moral problem.
Second: America has a violence problem.
Third: America has an Isolation problem. 

there's a lot more things as well but it's very difficult to keep guns away from those who shouldn't have them if we don't enforce laws, that's one of the first steps as evidenced by the felons failing the background check and a never prosecuted for it.

We've already established that it wasn't pointless and had promising preliminary results. You just don't like what the preliminary results entail.
I presented the stats to you using your links, they speak for themselves you choose not to listen. 
With regards to the ban Correlation does not imply causation it's logical fallacy.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
It's a lot more fun to evaluate valid points from both sides.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
I have yet to hear a logical argument as to how taking guns away and or banning certain ones from lawful citizens will remove them from the hands of criminals.  There's already a 'ban' on felons from possessing guns, drugs etc
if you look at the murder rates by race, if you aren't white or black you are extremely safe, because each one tends to kill their own.  Another stat ignored for any possible clues to a solution.

and for you clueless people following along
how do any of the following make a gun more dangerous
pistol grip
barrel shroud
folding stock
flash supressor
thumb hole stock

why are silencers and short barreled rifles class 3?  that's a question for people who know the difference between reality and tv fantasy.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts

do you see a lot of criminals with machine guns? cause i sure don't 

the world isn't magically split between criminals and everyone else. if you tell bob not to have a gun, there's a good chance he won't get one. then, when he goes off on his wife, he's less likely to kill her. 

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
the pro gun arguments in this thread are painfully stupid. what's said is this is ignorance that can't be cured, cause the same old arguments keep getting repeated even after correction. 
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
that's the problem isn't it, what's the definition of an assault weapon?  It's actually a full auto machine gun which are already heavily regulated and extremely expensive.  This is what happens when people use abstract words and are free and loose with definitions.  What's the cosmetic feature loop hole?
It's not really a problem. The wikipedia definition of assault weapons seems reasonable. Extend this definition to include other firearms not commonly described as assault weapons, but have multiple features in common with assault weapons. Ensure that there is input from multiple experts to ensure that this list is both exhaustive and reasonable. Finally, ensure that this definition is adaptable for the removal and addition of gun.

Essentially the cosmetic loophole in the assault weapons ban was gun manufacturers noticing the inclusion of features in the ban that were cosmetic and had little impact on the actual performance of the weapon. Hence if a gun was included in the ban due to some of these "cosmetic features", they could be modified to be excluded from the ban, while maintaining performance.

2,4 makes the 2a null and void
Do elaborate. I wish to hear how registering a gun with the authorities prevents you from maintaining a well regulated militia.

so you'd send people with guns to take by force including at gun point, lethal force to take these registered guns or ones not turned in but discovered some how and then put those people in jail for whatever time period.  Having an illegal gun is a felony and probably a 10 sentence.  Starting to sound like nazi Germany.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Registered guns stay with the owners for whatever use the owners use them for. Ownerless unregistered guns are destroyed when found. If unregistered guns are found with an owner, the owner is fined and warned to register the guns. Further transgressions lead to further punitive measures. None of this applies during the amnesty period. I don't know where you pulled the felony, 10 years, jail, gun point and lethal force from but don't apply them to what I consider reasonable policies please.

all firearms are sold with trigger locks fyi
That is delightfully pointless to this discussion if there is no requirement to put back the trigger lock after each use.

You don't think people are the problem?  Do you think a normal average people are murderers or mass murderers?  What kind of mental state do you think it takes to be a murderer, normal? abnormal/disturbed?  Do you think anyone in their sane mind would murder another generally speaking?  Of the mass murderers how many would you consider sane and normal?  I'm not talking about insanity defense which is something different.
What % of mass murders are planned out rather than heat of the moment actions?  I'd say about 100%.  Do normal sane people plan out mass murders?  I don't think so, but if you do please explain.

They both are the problem. However from my perspective, it's easier to put guns out of the reach of the mentally deranged than to prevent the mentally deranged from committing a crime in the first place. Just because, while it's easy to arrest someone who has already committed a crime,I don't believe you can actually arrest someone who hasn't and you just think will. Are you supposed to detain every weird person with benign intentions? Finally, at a fundamental level, the victims of drugs and guns are different. Ultimately, no one is forcing you to put illicit substances in your body, and regardless there are many help programs for those who do. However victims of gun crime have no choice in the matter.
To add to that, having a solution to guns doesn't exclude a solution to the people. Obviously, having both would be ideal. However addressing guns is likely to be more effective. Ultimately with people, there is an element of randomness. With guns, if you don't have a gun, you just cannot shoot it.

there's a lot more things as well but it's very difficult to keep guns away from those who shouldn't have them if we don't enforce laws, that's one of the first steps as evidenced by the felons failing the background check and a never prosecuted for it.
Agreed. But as I said, laws need not be either one or the other. And a poorly executed law is better than no law at all.

I presented the stats to you using your links, they speak for themselves you choose not to listen.  
Which points did you make against my stats that I wasn't able to counter? I believe we ended things with you arguing that reduced fatality numbers could be explained by better medical technologies/more trauma centers and me asking for evidence of this which you did not provide.

I believe you also said something about a period of lowered mass shootings after the banning period? Of course you didn't provide evidence for this either. But how does this relate to the efficacy of the ban itself anyway?

With regards to the ban Correlation does not imply causation it's logical fallacy.
Dismissing something because you claim it's a fallacy is a fallacy. Perhaps you can explain to me how banning guns commonly used in mass shootings to inflict a greater number of casualties is not a causative link for a decreased number of deaths per shooting?

And even if we were to dismiss this as a case of correlation does not imply causation. it doesn't mean it should be dismissed. Do you think scientists who get promising preliminary results immediately trash the study just because it might not be causative link? No, they make refinements and improvements.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
#1 machine guns are very expensive
#2 criminals don't listen to what you tell them not to do, like break laws.

how many domestic abuse cases end in murder?  what's the %?  of those that do, how many of those was the person already a felon who can't legally have a gun?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
It's not really a problem. The wikipedia definition of assault weapons seems reasonable. Extend this definition to include other firearms not commonly described as assault weapons, but have multiple features in common with assault weapons. Ensure that there is input from multiple experts to ensure that this list is both exhaustive and reasonable. Finally, ensure that this definition is adaptable for the removal and addition of gun.
yep wiki "The definition varies among regulating jurisdictions"  solid definition to be sure lol
I've asked you the same questions many times that you ignore
what difference does a pistol grip on a rifle make?  you think this is science some how so what's the science say about pistol grips and other cosmetics?

you are actually talking about a gun ban, basically doing away with the 2a again from the wiki " the term assault weapon refers primarily to semi-automatic riflespistols, and shotguns that are able to accept detachable magazines and possess one or more other features."

show me how the scientist have proven how many mass shootings the ban stopped.
then show me how mass shootings happened because there was no ban.
then I want to know how someone with a registered gun is prevented from committing a mass shooting.

And even if we were to dismiss this as a case of correlation does not imply causation. it doesn't mean it should be dismissed.
perhaps, but we shouldn't act on it as if it is fact either which is the point to this "theory" it has not been proven thus our disagreement.  Laws shouldn't be made on no evidence theories.  I get you don't understand the freedoms the U.S. has and with that comes some negatives just like everything in life.  In theory hateful speech is harmful (whatever that means) but censoring speech, compelled speech isn't constitutional but something you have to accept in a free society.  Often those in a gilded cage don't realize they are still in a cage, think about that for a moment, that's the problem when people who don't understand and appreciate the concept of freedom with regards to living in and being a citizen of the U.S.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
yep wiki "The definition varies among regulating jurisdictions"  solid definition to be sure lol
"...but usually includes semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, and sometimes other features such as a vertical forward gripflash suppressor or barrel shroud."

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you so dishonestly take a quote out of context?

what difference does a pistol grip on a rifle make?  you think this is science some how so what's the science say about pistol grips and other cosmetics?
I have no idea. Why is this relevant?

you are actually talking about a gun ban, basically doing away with the 2a again from the wiki " the term assault weapon refers primarily to semi-automatic riflespistols, and shotguns that are able to accept detachable magazines and possess one or more other features."
Again, elaborate. My policies allow for ownership of assault weapons.

show me how the scientist have proven how many mass shootings the ban stopped.
then show me how mass shootings happened because there was no ban.
If your argument is contingent on the deliverance of data that you know cannot possibly exist, your argument is very weak indeed.

then I want to know how someone with a registered gun is prevented from committing a mass shooting.
It doesn't. On the other-hand, I never said it did. That said, do you understand why it was included in my exemplar policies?

perhaps, but we shouldn't act on it as if it is fact either which is the point to this "theory" it has not been proven thus our disagreement.  Laws shouldn't be made on no evidence theories.  I get you don't understand the freedoms the U.S. has and with that comes some negatives just like everything in life.  In theory hateful speech is harmful (whatever that means) but censoring speech, compelled speech isn't constitutional but something you have to accept in a free society.  Often those in a gilded cage don't realize they are still in a cage, think about that for a moment, that's the problem when people who don't understand and appreciate the concept of freedom with regards to living in and being a citizen of the U.S.
No, you should act on it for what it is. It is preliminary data that shows promising results. It is evidence that can lead to further evidences and data. The alternative is not acting on it. In which case the deaths from mass shooting will continue unabated.

Look. Perhaps you should be honest. You don't care about these deaths from mass shootings as long as your right to bear these specific arms, no matter how unnecessary they are is unhindered. They are tragic, but necessary deaths to maintain your American ideals. And this is a perfectly legitimate view to have.

But don't sit there and preach to me that you actually care about these deaths and wish them to stop when you obviously don't. Not at the cost of your guns at the very least.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
How do you expect to be taken seriously when you so dishonestly take a quote out of context?
I've asked you many times for specifics, you said the wiki, it's hard to take you seriously when you are so vague and evasive.  The wiki IS the context you referenced and I quoted, nothing dishonest about it.  That was the answer I got when I asked you what an assault weapon was.

I have no idea. Why is this relevant?
keep being evasive, if you can't keep up with what you say that's your short coming.
you want to ban weapons with pistol grips etc but can't give any logical reason why other than it makes a gun look scary, your emotions control your judgement and that's why you fail on logic and constantly ignore my logic tests to you.

LOL you are such a hypocrite.  I've stated multiple times I care about all murders, you are selectively outraged about mass shootings, talk about dishonest, either you care about people being murder or your don't.  You clearly don't but only as much as it supports your desire for gun bans, otherwise those single and non gun murders are irrelevant to you.

anyway this is pointless due to you now answering simple questions, trying to evade and unable to make any logic reasoning for the things I ask, your only evidence is the ban and talk about mass murders though the over all number of murders is so much higher than mass murders, it's pretty sick selective outrage when you only want to address the rare mass murders instead of all murders.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I've asked you many times for specifics, you said the wiki, it's hard to take you seriously when you are so vague and evasive.  The wiki IS the context you referenced and I quoted, nothing dishonest about it.  That was the answer I got when I asked you what an assault weapon was.
It's dishonest because clearly my intention for the definition of "assault weapon" was not "The definition varies among regulating jurisdictions" and yet you've framed and answered it as if it was. You completely avoided referencing the actual definition and cherry picked an irrelevant sentence instead. So is this dishonest? Yes, obviously it is.

keep being evasive, if you can't keep up with what you say that's your short coming.
you want to ban weapons with pistol grips etc but can't give any logical reason why other than it makes a gun look scary, your emotions control your judgement and that's why you fail on logic and constantly ignore my logic tests to you.
I don't care about weapons with pistol grips. Consequently, I've never said I wished to ban weapons with pistol grips and I have no idea why you've chosen this topic to be stupid about. The grip of a gun is ultimately immaterial to the functionality of a gun I assume. And we've been over this before:

I mean.. are you arguing that assault weapons cannot kill people at a faster rate than weapons that aren't classed as assault weapons? Ultimately that's what I'm interested in and not the aesthetics.

LOL you are such a hypocrite.  I've stated multiple times I care about all murders, you are selectively outraged about mass shootings, talk about dishonest, either you care about people being murder or your don't.  You clearly don't but only as much as it supports your desire for gun bans, otherwise those single and non gun murders are irrelevant to you.
You can state that you care about all murders, but your speech shows that you simply don't care enough when it comes to actions needed. That is, gun restrictions. You simply prefer having assault weapons, regardless of their redundancy in every day life to saving lives lost in mass shootings. This isn't me conjuring stuff out of my ass. You refuse to discuss gun control. You refuse to admit legitimate evidence. You refuse to even admit that guns, as well as people can be worked upon. What is someone supposed to take from this? That you actually care about people over guns?

anyway this is pointless due to you now answering simple questions, trying to evade and unable to make any logic reasoning for the things I ask, your only evidence is the ban and talk about mass murders though the over all number of murders is so much higher than mass murders, it's pretty sick selective outrage when you only want to address the rare mass murders instead of all murders.
You've literally gone back to old debunked talking points. You haven't learned anything and none of what you said makes sense. You are the pigeon that shits all over the chessboard while knocking over all the pieces. If you really want, tally up the times I've avoided simple questions, the evasions and the flaws in reasoning I've made. Go ahead. And see if it compares to the amount of points you've dropped

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Again, elaborate. My policies allow for ownership of assault weapons.

It doesn't. On the other-hand, I never said it did. That said, do you understand why it was included in my exemplar policies?

Which points did you make against my stats that I wasn't able to counter? I believe we ended things with you arguing that reduced fatality numbers could be explained by better medical technologies/more trauma centers and me asking for evidence of this which you did not provide.

I believe you also said something about a period of lowered mass shootings after the banning period? Of course you didn't provide evidence for this either. But how does this relate to the efficacy of the ban itself anyway?

Dismissing something because you claim it's a fallacy is a fallacy. Perhaps you can explain to me how banning guns commonly used in mass shootings to inflict a greater number of casualties is not a causative link for a decreased number of deaths per shooting?

Do elaborate. I wish to hear how registering a gun with the authorities prevents you from maintaining a well regulated militia.

No you're right. There isn't a lot of data. However the best way to move forwards is to take these preliminary results and apply them to further laws and see what pops up and then study those results further. What the incorrect thing to do is dismiss these results and sit on your hands.

But do all semi-automatic weapons have the same clip size, reloading speed and shooting speed? I'm sure there are a number of other factors I'm not aware of.

Which trauma centers? Which technologies? How has the treatment of physical trauma wounds changed over those periods of time? By this logic, even if there are more mass shootings in the years after the ban, shouldn't there be on average less fatalities per mass shooting event?

It doesn't prove anything of the sort. Are people still getting shot by assault weapons in mass shootings? If the answer is yes, then the ban is obviously still warranted. Because there are still mass shootings in which people are getting shot by assault weapons. That the overall rate decreased is entirely irrelevant. The only relevant thing is to examine why the overall rate decreased and to see how a ban might interact with those other factors to further bring those rates lower.

I personally don't know what period you are talking about. But obviously, if there was such a period I would certainly be interested. That said, one good reason if it exists but isn't talked about might be because that there are so many myriad factors that can effect something. Determining a single factor is a herculean task. However bans are a relatively easy and direct implementation. And more importantly, preliminary results suggested that the ban was working. 

Neither diy guns or 3d printed guns will come close to matching the quality, reliability or production output of industrially produced guns. The use of such guns to replace industrially produced guns in mass shootings would also result in reduced deaths. It's a cute thought, but really just speculation at this point. We don't need a solution for speculative problems.

We've been over this. Many laws are designed to reduce a problem. Completely eliminating a problem is a goal, but unrealistic. Take seltbelts as example with readily available data. It's illegal to not wear a seltbelt while driving. Does that stop people dying with or without them? No. But they tangibly reduce the amount of deaths that occur.

I wouldn't have the first clue where to find what you're describing. That's the point of laws. They make it difficult to acquire banned objects. Taking AR-15s for example. If they were sold in a gun shop, if I were an ordinary citizen I could just into the gun shop and buy one. If they were banned and therefore not sold at a gun shop, I wouldn't know where to get a black market AR-15. Multiply this for every other ordinary citizen who wants an AR-15. Some might eventually acquire one, but the majority wouldn't.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@dustryder
What is your point with a bunch of quotes.  Your going to like what I'm going to say next.

If we banned guns and tasers instead were advertised and encouraged as a means of self defense, then both sides win.  The left gets to decrease the homicide rate.  The right gets undisputed protection that no one wants to take away.  The NRA benefits because a taser costs more the a gun, so they would make more money.  Automatic tasers can protect against multiple people.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
I don't care about weapons with pistol grips. Consequently, I've never said I wished to ban weapons with pistol grips and I have no idea why you've chosen this topic to be stupid about. The grip of a gun is ultimately immaterial to the functionality of a gun I assume. And we've been over this before:
Are you purposefully being this dense?  Pistol grip is one of the things that makes an "assault weapon" an assault weapon, you don't really seem to know what you are even talking about lol  It's one of the characteristics on the wiki lol  wow

but your speech shows that you simply don't care enough when it comes to actions needed.
oohhh you mean all the things I listed isn't want is needed but your one idea of a ban is, gotcha.
correlation is not evidence it's conjecture, you have NO evidence, just hypothesis.

I've repeatedly said felons and criminals shouldn't have guns, laws regarding anything related should be consistently enforced with increased punishments, that's gun control, controlling criminals not getting guns and severely punishing them when they do, or anyone who commits a crime with a gun.  

But do all semi-automatic weapons have the same clip size, reloading speed and shooting speed?
yes, the fact you don't know this is very telling on your level of understanding about guns.

you think you just walk into a gun shop and buy a gun?  LOL have you ever filled out the background check paper work required?  Do you know what goes on behind the scenes with that whole process?

you say those weapons can still be purchased but have to be registered (like that's going to be useful) of the mass shootings with whatever you think is an assault weapon, how many of those were obtained illegally and that this purchased/registration idea would have stopped.......not many
notice is says "more than" because it's probably closer to 95%
now added in the others where the screw up was the government's fault and there's probably 1 maybe 2 that actually got them on the black market?
The 26-year-old passed required background checks because the Air Force never informed the FBI about his criminal conduct

and you want people to believe a ban would work? 

what new laws would "make it difficult to acquire banned objects."
you said several times they could still be purchased and registered, which doesn't actually sound like a ban, but then again it's not clear what the "assault weapon" definition is since you say the cosmetics aren't important (and I agree) yet New York assault weapons ban defines those guns as having 2 or more of those cosmetics.  This is why I have asked for YOUR definition of an "assault weapon" but you evade that giving a mention to the wiki without even a link.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
look at youtube tasers aren't as effective as you think even when used by trained police.  Guns are also used for hunting and target shooting, not just self protection.  In fact I would say most guns are not purchased for protection, but rather some form of recreation.
tim mcveigh didn't use a gun, this is why my stance has always been changing hearts, identifying and helping if possible these disturbed individuals before something happens.  What's to stop someone like him from doing something similar, nothing.  Don't forget the Boston marathon bombers.  The sick mind that wants to kill is very difficult if not impossible to stop, but we should try and do more to be proactive.  We have to do a better job of identifying these sick individuals and work within the laws to prevent things like that from happening, to our best abilities anyway.

Alec
Alec
http://www.yoursecurityguide.com/taser-stun.aspx states that tasers are effective.

Hunting is fine, hunting rifles can be legal.  Rifles can be used for target practice.

Don't forget the Boston marathon bombers. 
I hope the Boston bombers get the death penalty.  I know they won't because they did it in Massachusetts.

Do you have any ideas on how to prevent sickos from committing homicide?  

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Forgot to mention you above.  Sorry about that.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
How effective are tasers at deterring Military coups?

Do you think if Venezuelans simply had tasers that they would have food and power right now?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
What is your point with a bunch of quotes.  Your going to like what I'm going to say next.

If we banned guns and tasers instead were advertised and encouraged as a means of self defense, then both sides win.  The left gets to decrease the homicide rate.  The right gets undisputed protection that no one wants to take away.  The NRA benefits because a taser costs more the a gun, so they would make more money.  Automatic tasers can protect against multiple people.
It's to demonstrate and highlight the amount of points that he has dropped/avoided and his hypocrisy in suggesting that I avoid his points. I would've fit it in the first post but you know, character limit  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I certainly have no objection to the advertising of less lethal alternative defensive tools. However, people just don't value such tools alongside guns and the 2nd amendment isn't going to just go away without severe unrest and civil chaos. So any talk of directly banning guns and hence the second amendment is out of the question

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
Do you have any ideas on how to prevent sickos from committing homicide?  
I personally don't, but this has been studied for decades, but more could and should be done.  People are much quicker to violence than 20-30 years ago.  The incidents of road rage, for example, that sometimes end up in someone's death was extremely rare back then.  There's less self control, respect and moral among many other things compared to when there was less violence.  Society is desensitized to violence and causes a lack of empathy for a fellow human being.  There's a lot of ideas and have been, but not much gets done.  You see it's not really about fixing the problems but rather banning guns.  If you were serious about the issue then fixing the laws that already exist would have already happened right?  There's no controversy with fixing existing laws is there?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts

We have Congressthings that declare people non-human today.

Alec
Alec
-->
@Greyparrot
How effective are tasers at deterring Military coups?
I don't know.  I think they work about as well as guns, but I don't know.

Do you think if Venezuelans simply had tasers that they would have food and power right now?
They might.  If they had capitalism, then they would have food and power right now.