A question

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 157
mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
Could I get some elaboration on what makes something a relative truth?  I'm a bit skeptical that such truths exist, but not enough to contend outright.  I was thinking you could help sway me one way or the other. 
Your kidding , right? 

Ive already given examples of relative truth.

Does sound exist?  Yes for some, no for others.

Is sky blue. Yes sometimes is true. Sky is red sometimes. Sometimes it is black?

From outside, Earths sky is multi-colored.

From outside Jupitors sky may be even more multi-colored.

Here is a relative true statement...
......"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"....A Einstein....

Wrick-It-Ralph
Debates: 44
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@mustardness
I would ask you why you think sound exist.  But your name is mustardness. So I think that says it all.  Am I wrong? 

So I'm not going to argue with you about sound existing because if your name is any indicator, you will obviously disagree to no avail for either of us. 

I count sound as an abstract and I don't believe that it exist.  But we'll avoid this for a second.  

A deaf person lacks hearing organs.  there does not affect the truth value of sound.  The thing that throws me off about your argument is that the truths in your argument are not consistent with themselves, therefore they're not truths. the sky is always blue because blue is the description of how it reflect light.  What we see as blue is an abstraction and does not exist.  It's nothing more than a caricature.  What your describing to me would be better categorized as subjective reality.  Which is reality as you view it.  I don't see how this is anything other than a way to try to make subjective sound more reliable than it is. 
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
I know you gave the color example, but colors themselves don't actually exist. 
False

So this makes conceptualizing a relative truth difficult because I would like to see it applied to something physical as opposed to an abstraction of the physical.  I'm not saying that I can't use my senses, it's just color is one of those weird things that has different implications

Huh?  Just because colors are processed differrently "differrent implciations" does not mean they dont exist.  My examples were clear enough to me, and I dont see where you have invalidated any of my comments as stated.

There exists a finite number of ways to state absolute or relative truth.  Sure we could go off on some mind-game and say the potential for infinite set of languages --or numbers--- exist ergo there is infinite set of ways to state a relative or and absolute truth.

So please, if yo decide go off on any infinite potential type mind games ---not saying you have--  I dont want tp go there.  I can only chew the same piece of 'chewing gum' so many times before I feel need to spit it out and be done with it.

Reece
Reece
-->
@mustardness
Are observers resultants? If so, you're saying something is objective irrespective of resultants/observers, yet you agreed with me.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
Okay so your proof is to take a picture and then presuppose it's true?  Really Omar?  Really? This big foundation for you logic is a flimsy presupposition? Pictures are not your senses.  I find it dubious that you rely on a camera more than your eyeballs.  
So your logic is not based upon presuppositions that you cannot prove?
So you think reality is subjective because you can't see the whole cosmos at once?  You realize this does not fit the definition of subjective right?
I changed it. I said it is relative. A blind can't see the cosmos. A person who can see can see the cosmos. I did not attach it to be subjective or objective. I would say the cosmos if we were looking from another universe while also being able to see into this universe would be objective but as we assign things we are presuming we have the knowledge which can assign this an apple or assign this knowledge. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@mustardness
Wow.  I gave you too much credit.  I figured since you came with proof about colors that you would at least know at bit about them.  I guess that was my mistake.  What you see as color is just a wave of light that you perception color codes for you like a map.  I'm a little embarrassed for you for not knowing this.  That's what I meant by different implications.  I shouldn't be surprised though.  Your name is mustardness after all. 

btw, when the only thing you can say to a statement is "false" with no elaboration, that's called dodging and it's not something that a person does when they're argument is good.  It's something they do to hide their weaknesses.  So there's that. 

right when you get into finite stuff in the way you used it, that's you going into platonic abstractions and say there's finite compositions etc. etc.  I'm familiar with the routine. You probably also think the law of the excluded middle is false as well. 

It's funny you made that chewing gum reference because that's how I feel about your argument.  I can only deal with so many people saying "false" without defending their claims before I have to acknowledge that they're not logical. 

You're basically a Platonist.  So we have nothing to talk about.  You're even more far gone than Omar is.  At least he kind of has a grip on reality.  You're basically just a theist who worships shapes. 
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Nope I don't do presuppositions because they're illogical.  I can prove magic and god with presuppositions.  Also platonism, lol. 

That's why I use self evidence.  Self evidence isn't a presupposition.  Well it could be if you chose to presuppose a self evident thing.  But there's no need for it.  Self evidence makes way more sense than anything else because it's the only thing stops the infinite regress and give you justification.  presuppositions are not far off from self evidence, they're just not proven is all.  The structure is mostly the same. 

relative is just another way to say subjective in this case.  It's just a word trick.  If you actually care about what's true and you're not just trying to be right, then you should reconsider just picking up any old definition just because it confuses your opponent.(not me, but some people).  If you care about what's true like I do, then you abandon bad ideas when they are proven as such.  Honestly, the philosophical beating that you got trying to disprove me and the worse one you're taking now trying to defend yourself should be strong indicators that your argument is weaker than mine.  Even if you don't think it's true. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I fixed a typo on edit but you might not see it right away.  I just took the word Not of in the first sentence before illogical.  I accidentally made a double negative, lol. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
Nope I don't do presuppositions because they're not illogical.
So your presupposition is that you are rational enough to have this conversation and we ought to use this logic because it worked for me. Am I wrong?
 That's why I use self evidence.
I don't see how self-evident is evidence.
Self evidence makes way more sense than anything else because it's the only thing stops the infinite regress and give you justification.
Self-evident: not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.
Demonstrate how our reality is not relative to the person perceiving it. 
Even if you don't think it's true.
I still don't see how you demonstrated perception is relative to the person perceiving reality.
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
You're quite wrong.  I don't presuppose anything.  At all.  Not one single thing. 

the logic is proven and as such I tell you to use it because it's proven.  My confidence in it might be subjective, but that doesn't matter because as I've demonstrated to you on multiple occasions, I don't have to accept it for it to work.  that's what makes it so laughably easy to prove. 

I know you don't. That's not my problem.  I've already put in my work trying to explain it.  The problem here is you not me.  You're the one who is so incredulous that you can't even get past definitions to even have an argument.  Stop being unnecessarily incredulous and you wont' have trouble understanding it.  I can't FORCE you to learn anything. 

I'm done answer you questions Omar.  I've answered more than enough to prove that I gave you a chance and they're all right here to prove it.  The fact is that I gave an entire day of questioning to prove my position wrong.  The same position that you claimed you could knock down with ease.  

Not only did you not rebut me.  You didn't even come close.  You literally had to change your topic question on three separate occasions because My answers disproved you so hard that you couldn't hang on to them.  I sat and took literally dozens of questions per post and bounced them back at you without so much as getting me to concede one thing.  

There was that hypothetical.  You know that one with about 300 assumptions in it.  Even then, you didn't prove anything with it because you had to stretch it so far to make it fit that you weren't even talking about our reality anymore. 

Then, after all of that huffing and puffing, you got pushed into the infinite regress not 10 minutes after I finally started my questioning.  

I've demonstrated everything I needed to.  It's all there in black in white.  If you want the answers, then pull your head out of your butt and try reading the arguments with a better attitude instead of purposely trying to not believe it because of your fallacious presuppositions. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
Okay
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Reece
Are observers resultants? If so, you're saying something is objective irrespective of resultants/observers, yet you agreed with me.
O = source//presenter

/\/\/\/ = what is being presented ex photon as the line-of-relationship
..See LINK ..."In the field of optics, he is best known for his wave theory of light, which he proposed in 1678 and described in 1690 in his Treatise on Light, which is regarded as the first mathematical theory of light. His theory was initially rejected in favor of Isaac Newton's corpuscular theory of light, until Augustin-Jean Fresnel adopted Huygens' principle in 1818 and showed that it could explain the rectilinear propagation and diffraction effects of light. Today this principle is known as the Huygens–Fresnel principle.".....

O = observer absorbs, perceives, responds, reflects frequency of photon in  more than  way depending on various factors ergo,

resultants of source---->line-of-relationship<----Observer ---myriad set of resultants.

Ex Observer screams in delight because it may be the first time for seeing light after being blind for years while others rave about colors.

Ex Observer has more melanin is skin ---darker in color--- and does not burn as easy, or may not crack over time as easily ---black dont crack---.

Ex resultant, some people burn so easily they must keep exposure to sunlight at much less amount the most other humans.

Ex humans on African savannah evolve kinky hair to protect brain from overheating, eskimos do not

Ex humans develop Vit D from sunlight, where other biologics may use some other method. Do plants { as observer }?

Ex eskimo delights in sunny day whereas Floridian coastal person heads for shade and air-conditioning

Reece
Reece
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
All opinions are personal.  That's just a word trick.  If I have 3 people with the same opinion then those are 3 personal opinions. Just because you arbitrarily categorized them as being something bigger doesn't change what they are at the fundamental level.  A particle doesn't stop being a particle just because it's inside an atom. The very fact that you have to argue simple definitions like this only goes to further prove my point that your confusing language is impractical. 
Yes, they are three personal opinions, but they're also collectively independent of an individual (I use the word independent lightly). Think of it in terms of a Venn diagram to give you a visualization. 
Like I've said time and time again, subjectivity and objectivity aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Lemme ask you this.  Would you rather spend your debate arguments defining things every two lines or debating?
I'm happy to explain myself.

What specifically about science makes it on the same level as religion?  What are religions standards for testing the truth of something?  Because science has a very strict process.  Religions give you a rulebook and tell you to follow it.  How is that reliable. 
I didn't claim science is on the same level as religion. I said science is more reliable when it comes to truth didn't I? I also said science doesn't require faith. You keep on forgetting what I say. That being said, any reasonable person would say 'science is sometimes wrong', roughly speaking.

Furthermore, you missed the point of my contention.  Your standard can make anything true by opinion.  Your standard could literally have people arguing over the color of the sky and by your standard, all of them would be right.  Rape would be right and wrong at the same time.  Gravity would be true and false at the same time. How do you not see a problem with this?
Okay, can you please show me how my logic leads to that, instead of claiming it does?
If you can't , then I'm going to assume you're strawmaning. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Reece
I agree that they're collective, I don't agree that they're independent and I can prove it.  If it's independent that means my opinion can't change it. 

lets say we got 3 people who believe something and then 2 change their mind.  That was just a case of their opinions changing it.  Therefore, it's not independent. 

I agree they're not mutually exclusive.  That doesn't speak to what you're trying to prove.  It's not mutually exclusive in any model that I know of. So this is just the same as all other models. 

Okay and when you explain yourself and your opponent disagrees with your definition, then what happens?  Do you give up and use the popular terms or do you waste time defining? 

Well don't scald me too hard.  You're the one that lumped them into a category.  I'm justified to think you had a reason for doing this.  So prey tell what do they have in common such that they fall into the same group?  I'll let you answer so I'm not putting words in your mouth. 

Sure.  If you say 2 or more people equals objective, then any two people agreeing on something is objective right?   So if me and you agree that unicorns exist that makes it so right? 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
Found where you got the bachelor example. From a Vsause video. 
I also found out he agreed with me. Start from 6:27.

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I've seen that video.  So I'll point out the differences in his philosophy and mine.  He's okay with accepting things like the mind body problem.  He's most likely a foundationalist which means he takes axioms which are presuppositions that seem to be true.  This is not the same as a mere presupp because they appeal to things like self evidence and they really really like using the impossibility to the contrary, which our Platonist friend here doesn't believe because to believe impossibility to the contrary you have to believe the law of the excluded middle, which platonists don't.  

We me and the guy in the video differ is that he's okay with axioms but I go a step further and say you don't need the axiom because it's self evident.  This is basically extreme pragmatism or sometimes coherentism, which is a really specific mixture between pragmatism and foundationalism.  that arranges proofs in a web instead of a pillar. My "skill tree" using the reference form earlier about skyrim, looks more like coherentism but a coherentist will demand that the web has no bases because they will ultimately connect everything with at least one justification and it will basically be the most complicated version of circular reasoning you ever seen.  btw, circular reasoning is not always bad.  Just pointing that out so there's not confusion. 

The guy in the video takes the position that he can't know anything, but he act pragmatically, so he still acts as if reality is objective and that's where he differs from you and the reason for this as he said in the video is "Because our senses are the only tool we have" which makes it necessary and proves the possibility of the contrary, and self evidence, etc. etc. 

You will find solipsists on youtube.  I'm not going to pretend that's not the case.  But if you take the position that something is false until it's proven like I do, then you wouldn't believe solipsism because there's no proof for it. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Also, that's not where I got the bachelor example.  I don't know where I first heard it, but it's the go to argument to explain tautologies. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Honestly, even if you came back and argued with me as a foundationalist, I'd still be happy because then we'd have a truly epic conversation. 

Even though I'm not really a foundationalist.  I guess I basically am, but I don't take axioms so I'm like a black sheep foundationalist. 
Reece
Reece
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
I agree that they're collective, I don't agree that they're independent and I can prove it.  If it's independent that means my opinion can't change it. 

lets say we got 3 people who believe something and then 2 change their mind.  That was just a case of their opinions changing it.  Therefore, it's not independent. 
I said "I use the word independent lightly", because I couldn't think of a better word at the time.

I agree they're not mutually exclusive.  That doesn't speak to what you're trying to prove.  It's not mutually exclusive in any model that I know of. So this is just the same as all other models. 
You saying "I don't agree that they're independent.." goes to show you don't know what I'm trying to prove. or you're just strawmaning again.
Do you understand what not being mutually exclusive means?

Okay and when you explain yourself and your opponent disagrees with your definition, then what happens?  Do you give up and use the popular terms or do you waste time defining? 
I wouldn't consider it a waste of time. It sharpens my descriptive skills.

Well don't scald me too hard.  You're the one that lumped them into a category.  I'm justified to think you had a reason for doing this.  So prey tell what do they have in common such that they fall into the same group?  I'll let you answer so I'm not putting words in your mouth. 
How did I lump them into a category? If the category is labeled as "Institutions that can be wrong", then yeah, I did.

Sure.  If you say 2 or more people equals objective, then any two people agreeing on something is objective right?   So if me and you agree that unicorns exist that makes it so right? 
Like I've said before, groups can be objectively right, or objectively wrong. 
Saying something is objective doesn't necessarily say it's objectively right.
It's just like morality. When people say you're moral, it technical doesn't say anything about right and wrong.
People just assume it's moral righteousness. The same goes for objectivity. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
it's self evident.
I still don't agree with this.
Self-evidence is not evidence and from what you have said I am still not believing you on this.
What do you mean and how do you use it?
so he still acts as if reality is objective and that's where he differs from you and the reason for this as he said in the video is
How does he differ from me?
I simply did not budge with you not being able to prove we exist. As in we are in objective reality because you can't. You keep using self-evident but the definition of what I found was this: not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.
If it was so obvious you wouldn't need to say it was self-evident instead tell me how do we exist.
"Because our senses are the only tool we have" which makes it necessary and proves the possibility of the contrary, and self evidence, etc. etc. 
Do we have life that do not have senses? So how can you say by having senses we can prove the contrary does not exist?
If I am reading it correctly that should be addressing what you said.
Honestly, even if you came back and argued with me as a foundationalist,
I don't know enough about it to defend it. So I will refrain from it. 
I guess it kind of make sense. The basic beliefs must not contradict more complex beliefs which is why complex beliefs must come after basic beliefs. If I am reading into foundational-ism correctly. 

Reece
Reece
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
I accidentally misread  the second quote. 
mustardness
mustardness
O-source---->line-of-relationship<----Observer-O may equal a myriad set of direct and indirect resultants. Examples below
.......The above is restating for clarity......

Ex Observer screams in delight because it may be the first time for seeing light after being blind for years while others rave about colors.

Ex Observer has more melanin is skin ---darker in color--- and does not burn as easy, or may not crack over time as easily ---black dont crack---.

Ex resultant, some people burn so easily they must keep exposure to sunlight at much less amount the most other humans.

Ex humans on African savannah evolve kinky hair to protect brain from overheating, eskimos do not

Ex humans develop Vit D from sunlight, where other biologics may use some other method. Do plants { as observer }?

Ex eskimo delights in sunny day whereas Floridian coastal person heads for shade and air-conditioning

O = source//presenter

/\/\/\/ = what is being presented ex photon as the line-of-relationship
..See LINK ..."In the field of optics, he is best known for his wave theory of light, which he proposed in 1678 and described in 1690 in his Treatise on Light, which is regarded as the first mathematical theory of light. His theory was initially rejected in favor of Isaac Newton's corpuscular theory of light, until Augustin-Jean Fresnel adopted Huygens' principle in 1818 and showed that it could explain the rectilinear propagation and diffraction effects of light. Today this principle is known as the Huygens–Fresnel principle.".....

O = observer absorbs, perceives, responds, reflects frequency of photon in  more than  way depending on various factors ergo,

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Reece
@TheRealNihilist
Sorry guys.  I passed out hard last night.  I think I juggled too many real life tasks while trying to forum chat, lol. 

I'm rested up now. 
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Reece
I'm going to stop pushing so hard on your definitions even though I do sincerely believe that they're unnecessarily confusing.  

I understand enough of what your saying to talk. 

So what do you believe in terms of what we can know? 

Do you think we can't know anything? 

Or do you think we can know some things but not others? 

Or can we know everything? 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Well I guess you're entitled not to believe it.  I'll find to find some material on it.  You might find something on it if you read about axioms.  A lot of people take axioms on self evidence so I'm sure wiki has something on it under either axioms of "epistemology" which is the field that we're talking about right now. 

Yes.  Self evidence is not needing to be explained.  One thing you need to understand in epistemology is that philosophers don't care about what definition you bring to the table at all.  They do something called "fleshing the word out"  where they figure out exactly what it is that you're trying to talk about when you use the word.  So take self evidence for example.  What does it mean that something doesn't need to be proven? Lets flesh it out.  Well it would mean that it would be so obvious that the act of proving it would be silly right?  If something is obvious wouldn't it be silly to try to prove it?  That's why I said that proving it would be redundant.  As for the impossibility of the contrary.  I kind of took a short cut here and that's my fault so I'll explain.  The impossibility to the contrary is not specifically part of the self evidence definition.  What happened was that historically, self evidence use to only require that it was ridiculously easy to prove, ergo obvious and not needing to be proved.  However, philosophers eventually realized that things that do not exist could slide by this definition, so then it was decided that the impossibility of the contrary was a better standard.  However, anything that meets the impossibility of the contrary standard tends to be self evident because more complicated things generally can't be proved this way.  Does that make more sense?

See you're thinking backwards.  You're saying that you simply did not budge.  That doesn't matter.  You were playing the role of the skeptic.  You were suppose to make me budge.  Now it's true that I could have just been being stubborn.  But I can prove this is not the case.  Every time you tried to push me down to my base, I arrived at self evidence, because that is the nexus of my believes. This is the point where you could have pushed me into the infinite regress if you could show the absurdity of self evidence.  But instead, all you did was keep denying that self evidence was a thing while not providing any examples to show how absurd it is.  If you could show an example of self evidence being absurd, then you would have knocked my position down.  But if you can't break down my foundation, then you can't touch my science or my epistemology because with a foundation, those things are proven by centuries of philosophers and scientists. 

Okay, you say "how can I prove the contrary doesn't exit"  Well I never said that no senses doesn't exist.  The contrary is "my senses are not reliable" when I did prove the impossibility of.  Our senses are consistent (they produce the same results in each specific situation).  That means there is only two possibilities.  A) They are consistently wrong.  Or  B) They consistently right.   I demonstrated that in either of the possibilities, the senses would still be reliable.   It doesn't matter if it's A or B or even a combination of the both.  An important thing here is to consider what it actually means for you senses to be wrong.  This is where we flesh out some more stuff.  For a sense to be wrong for it to not reflect reality accurately.  Now you know what a negative of a photo is right?  I know young people don't always know that one.  The negative of a photo is when the photo is inverted in colors.  That's what would happen if we seen reality consistently wrong.  Reality would look all messed up, but since it's consistent, we could still navigate it.  The thing to notice here is that if we can still navigate it.  Then we can still know things. 

Okay so when I say "The senses are the only tool I have"  That's not necessarily a logic statement.  It's a practical statement. However, that practical statement helps me figure out where I should be aiming my epistemology.  I mean, we should assume that we seek knowledge to help us in the world right?  What's more helpful than something that's also practical?  How would you find knowledge without using your senses?  You could use your thoughts, but what kind of thoughts would you even have without your senses?  I imagine not very many. 

Yeah, your assessment of foundationalism is correct.  Every believe needs a belief under it a "foundation"  and then you need an ultimate foundation "axiom"  to hold that up that is not justified by another belief.  So the key for a foundationalist is to find the justification for you axiom and it can't be a belief. that's why I use self evidence.  Everything self evident is a tautologies, and a tautology isn't really a belief per se, it's like a definitional truth.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
One thing you need to understand in epistemology is that philosophers don't care about what definition you bring to the table at all.  They do something called "fleshing the word out"
This is a problem for me. To even have a discussion we require to know definitions so that we both know what each other are talking about. I don't see how not defining words actually helps. Do you have an example of this?
What does it mean that something doesn't need to be proven? Lets flesh it out.  Well it would mean that it would be so obvious that the act of proving it would be silly right?  If something is obvious wouldn't it be silly to try to prove it?  That's why I said that proving it would be redundant.  As for the impossibility of the contrary.  I kind of took a short cut here and that's my fault so I'll explain.  The impossibility to the contrary is not specifically part of the self evidence definition.  What happened was that historically, self evidence use to only require that it was ridiculously easy to prove, ergo obvious and not needing to be proved.  However, philosophers eventually realized that things that do not exist could slide by this definition, so then it was decided that the impossibility of the contrary was a better standard.  However, anything that meets the impossibility of the contrary standard tends to be self evident because more complicated things generally can't be proved this way.  Does that make more sense?
"anything that meets the impossibility of the contrary standard tends to be self evident because more complicated things generally can't be proved this way."
Do you know of any specific example that can be proved this way because you did say the word tend instead of an absolute.
You were playing the role of the skeptic.  You were suppose to make me budge. 
I don't agree with this. A skeptic in a specific scenario is supposed to question. Anything like defending their position or making you re-evaluate your position is a cherry on top instead of the cake which are just questions. I see skepticism as doubt shown with asking questions.
This is the point where you could have pushed me into the infinite regress if you could show the absurdity of self evidence. 
Not really absurd but a problem I have with it. Self-evidence is used to say to some answers that were already answered by what the other person said. Example why is a bachelor not married? You would say it is self-evident. (Am I wrong in assuming self-evident and self-evidence is the same thing?) Using that there are better words to use to get the other person to understand your position. With the bachelor example simply state it is in the definition but if you used self-evident you would have to assume the other would know what that means. This is a semantics arguments but important because if most people do not understand what I am saying I rather use simpler words to make sure my comments more easier to understand. I also do this because the more complex a word is the more it tends to have more than one meaning. I rather you break it down like existence is this which is in the definition you gave rather then it is self-evident.
If you could show an example of self evidence being absurd, then you would have knocked my position down.
What type of self-evidence are you using?
The negative of a photo is when the photo is inverted in colors.  That's what would happen if we seen reality consistently wrong.  Reality would look all messed up, but since it's consistent, we could still navigate it.  The thing to notice here is that if we can still navigate it.  Then we can still know things. 
How would you know at some time we were perceiving reality consistently wrong then we got to a point where that consistent became the right due to how many people now view the world that way. This can be as trivial as a colour of a door is blue instead of brown or something more important that we have lost the senses that made us see more of reality? 
we should assume that we seek knowledge to help us in the world right?
Yes we use senses for our survival then use it to make us happy. 
What's more helpful than something that's also practical?
I guess a mind which can test a theory outside the material world in order to have an idea of what would occur if you can remember it happening before.
How would you find knowledge without using your senses? 
Don't know. 
You could use your thoughts, but what kind of thoughts would you even have without your senses?  I imagine not very many. 
Yes but without your thoughts you wouldn't be able to memorize and bring thoughts back that would help you in a situation.
So the key for a foundationalist is to find the justification for you axiom and it can't be a belief. that's why I use self evidence.  Everything self evident is a tautologies, and a tautology isn't really a belief per se, it's like a definitional truth.
Is a belief an assumption?
Why can't I simply use the stand point I am assuming I am a rational thinker, trust my senses etc?

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Well, we're basically after the same thing.  We want the right definition.  An epistemological definition is just one that has no equivocation.  So that's why no matter what definition you bring, they're going to define the words in the definition over and over until we figure out exactly what you're actually saying.  This stops people from using word tricks. 

Sure.  "This is a rock" is a self evidence proof because I pointed at it and named it as such.  so the name is necessarily true.  The contrary is impossible because you named it that way.  Now if I say "This is a rock and it weighs 40lbs"  That is not self evident because we don't know just be looking at it that it weighs 40lbs.  However, If we define 40lbs as what the scale tells us.  then it's self evident.  So by these two self evident standards, we can use them as our "foundation" to create a deductive argument that the contrary is impossible.  So that's two cases were something was and then wasn't self evident and both got proved using impossibility to the contrary. 

Yes and if the person is answering honestly, that doubt pushes them to their axiom or foundation.  If your skepticism doesn't shake my foundation, then you fail and you're not justified to be skeptical anymore.  Skepticism is defeat when I answer for my foundation and you don't have a question that defeats it.  When I pushed you back, I was playing the role of the skeptic and I pushed you to a presupposition that you couldn't justify so my skepticism was justified because you couldn't justify your foundation. 

There's more than one way to prove something.  The bachelor example can be proven with self evidence, but it is also proved with logic.  But the self evidence is the base proof.  The logic is a proof that comes after you've already verified the logic with self evidence.  So you're still ultimately going from self evidence to the proof but you 're just adding logic as an extra step and getting a similar tree that you would see in coherentism except I have a base. 

Okay, you have to show me an example of something that is both obvious and the contrary is impossible that is also not true.  Can you do that? 

The whole point of something being consistent is that it doesn't change.  If something is consistently wrong it's the same as being right that's the point.  It doesn't matter if I know whether it's wrong or right because i'll still get the result I want.  If something goes from consistently right to consistently wrong, then we would notice.  If gravity went from working to not working, then we would notice right? 

Okay, we need thoughts for practical reasons.  What's your point? 

A belief is an assumption if it does not have justification.  So it depends on the belief. 

You could assume that you're rational and you might be right, but if you're assuming, then you can't know your right.  It's just semantics at that point. Matt Dillahunty would say that if you assume one thing, than you can assume anything.  So a person who uses assumptions is likely to believe in stupid things like unicorns and pixies.  So you could do that.  But it doesn't help you with justifying your knowledge.  That would just make you a pragmatist and depending on how you choose to assume things, you might be a good or bad one. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
So that's why no matter what definition you bring, they're going to define the words in the definition over and over until we figure out exactly what you're actually saying.  This stops people from using word tricks. 
So we are going to define words before we "flesh them out" but they are open to being improved?
Sure.  "This is a rock" is a self evidence proof because I pointed at it and named it as such.
How about if I said this is a rock and it is named that way and I have applied nothing else to it apart from this thing that is front of us is a rock? 
I was playing the role of the skeptic and I pushed you to a presupposition that you couldn't justify so my skepticism was justified because you couldn't justify your foundation. 
Can you explain this?
The logic is a proof that comes after you've already verified the logic with self evidence.
What do you mean?
Is it this is a rock because it is defined that way and to be a rock it would have to necessarily this thing I am holding in my mind? The weight and other variables is not what I am defining it by instead the look of it?
So you're still ultimately going from self evidence to the proof but you 're just adding logic as an extra step and getting a similar tree that you would see in coherentism except I have a base. 
So you would start at self evidence and then use another step for it to be logic?
So you instead of having a system of beliefs you have a system of self-evidences?
you have to show me an example of something that is both obvious and the contrary is impossible that is also not true.  Can you do that? 
We use our eyes to see the world.
Without our eyes we wouldn't be able to see the world.
Don't know what you mean with "that is also not true" so I left that out. Maybe I included it in but I don't know.
If something is consistently wrong it's the same as being right that's the point.
So if I lose consistently in a game would it then become right?
 It doesn't matter if I know whether it's wrong or right because i'll still get the result I want.
So a right is right because I get what I want?
If something goes from consistently right to consistently wrong, then we would notice.  If gravity went from working to not working, then we would notice right? 
We would notice but would we be equipped in dealing with the problem? My example of seeing something consistently being wrong would be something in the past where the tool weren't available to be precise with what is wrong. Eventually it is ingrained that this is the way we perceive the world and now we accept this to be consistently right. Would what I said here be wrong?
Okay, we need thoughts for practical reasons.  What's your point? 
You missed it out and I added that in. Without a mind we wouldn't be able to understand what we are seeing. Without our senses we wouldn't be able to perceive the world. We require both but you missed the part I brought up.
A belief is an assumption if it does not have justification.  So it depends on the belief. 
Don't all beliefs have justifications? Where is the line where a belief does not have enough justification?
You could assume that you're rational and you might be right, but if you're assuming, then you can't know your right. 
I argue we can't know anyway. We use the past to shape what we think in the future. With this in mind we would be un-equipped to deal with something new and suddenly occurred. My example would be ebola. It took a while for people to find a cure for it and that is one example where what we knew in the past an assortment of different illnesses but when ebola arised it took a while for people to find something effective in stopping it. The first ebola outbreak was in 1976 and that was not as contagious as the one in 2014. I guess the republic of Congo did not think of it as a threat but when a much larger outbreak occured in February 2014 it took until December of the same year to find something effective in treating it. Even though it was around in 1976 people did not in that find that as a problem to solve and when it came back and a much larger rate then it took 10 months to find something effective in treating it. When we are not capable of remembering issues like ebola until it k*lls enough people how would you think that humanity would be capable of stopping something that is less murderous and that is consistently wrong?

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
Matt Dillahunty said no worldview can justify the laws of logic. What is your response?

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I don't necessarily believe everything that Matt D. says.  I think he takes the problem of solipsism too seriously.  

He believes that the laws of logic can't be justified because you have to use the laws of logic.  Under my worldview, logic justifying itself is just self evidence.