"Religious Freedom" = Discrimination = Hate

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 737
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
your list to compel isn't about an individual using their physical labor to provide something for someone else.  You are expanding this way beyond what I am saying and I've tried to narrow it down by using the cake example.  Under very specific instances I think people should be able to choose if they want to do a thing.  This is not the same as refusing service, again like the cake shop they could have purchased a ready made one, the labor had already been done at that point.

If I'm an artist or artisan who does custom work or work to order then I can pick and choose which jobs I will accept and I don't have to give any reason for refusal.  And no one should force me to do whatever is being requested, which I don't wish to do, at gun point.

Hopefully that makes my position clearer.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I think there is a big difference between spreading bad publicity and using the force of the law.
Good point.  I believe harassment should be limited by law.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Then if a group of his local neighbors were disgusted by him, and decided to express this peaceably by demonstrating in front of his store every single day for discriminating against a fellow citizen, you would say he does not have the right to ask the government to intervene on his behalf? This is also persecution, but it is within the law. You seem to have skipped the part clarifying what you think in this situation.

Again, what if he decided "NO BLACKS" was his policy?  
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If I'm an artist or artisan who does custom work or work to order then I can pick and choose which jobs I will accept and I don't have to give any reason for refusal.

What if you were in the culinary arts (a chef), you owned a restaurant, and decided to start kicking out people based on what you think is their sexual orientation?

I wonder if the cake guy asked the people getting married whom he DID make cakes for, if they'd had premarital sex, or were living together. Wouldn't he HAVE to? In order to be consistent with the biblical objections, I mean, which is basically the crux of his argument. To be clear, I'd prefer to see the invisible hand of the free market euthanize businesses like these, I'm not entirely sure I want to make a law saying anyone has to serve whatever they do to everyone (for example, I shouldn't have to make a cake in the shape of a swastika, but that is a position not based in an ancient myth, it's based on nazis are bad), I'm just wondering how we draw the line. I think because it can't easily be drawn, then we must have laws in place that say you can't discriminate if you're a public business. 
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x

Again, what if he decided "NO BLACKS" was his policy?  Then if a group of his local neighbors were disgusted by him, and decided to express this peaceably by demonstrating in front of his store every single day for discriminating against a fellow citizen, you would say he does not have the right to ask the government to intervene on his behalf?

This is not analogous. I am not well versed in the particulars of how such disputes are settled but take no issue with outlawing harassment, or due process.

This policy outlawed by the Civil Rights Act

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ludofl3x
What if you were in the culinary arts (a chef), you owned a restaurant, and decided to start kicking out people based on what you think is their sexual orientation?
totally different scenario, he's making what is on the menu, they are not asking for anything above and beyond that, nothing custom or unique to their situation.  
Let's say someone asked for a dish but wanted it gluten free, can he refuse or must he make it at gun point?  
Do you always have to give a reason for refusal?  is there a law that says so?

I'm just wondering how we draw the line.
that's what I'm trying to figure out as well, apparently though these lines are enforced at gun point.

Much like freedom of speech, people have the right to say and do what is unpopular, unkind and even stupid, that's the price for freedom.

what I'm talking about with regards to this topic is forced labor, that's how I see it.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ludofl3x
I wonder if the cake guy asked the people getting married whom he DID make cakes for, if they'd had premarital sex, or were living together. Wouldn't he HAVE to? In order to be consistent with the biblical objections, I mean, which is basically the crux of his argument.
Well stated.  If you're going to claim a "religious objection" you should be required to prove you are following every law with equal enthusiasm or explain why one teaching should be prioritized over another.

For example, why sell to divorcees but not the gays when both are contrary to "The Bible".
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
That sounds like "guilty until proven innocent", and it's not helped by presumptively assuming the motive
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
totally different scenario, he's making what is on the menu, they are not asking for anything above and beyond that, nothing custom or unique to their situation.  
Let's say someone asked for a dish but wanted it gluten free, can he refuse or must he make it at gun point?  
Do you always have to give a reason for refusal?  is there a law that says so?
So as long as they're not asking for "extra cheese" or something, then he must make whatever's on the menu? Where do you draw THAT line? Can you order a hamburger no bun if you're not black, but if you're black, you have to have the bun?

Where does the idea of 'at gunpoint' ever enter what I'm saying? Gluten refusal is not analogous as often this is not a choosable option. He can refuse for any reason, but if he continually refuses gays and they infer "It's because we're two men here at a two top on Valentine's day," over and over and over, then he's discriminating. I think maybe the issue is that opening a business to the public would imply an agreement with said public to offer services in equal measure. Being unable to accomodate a gluten free request because you don't know how to make gluten free pasta or do not offer it in some way isn't the same as making a wedding cake for one member of the public because you approve of their private life, and not making the same wedding cake for another because you DON'T approve of their private life. 

Where do you stand on the question of making the same wedding cake for people who've had pre-marital sex?

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x
Discrimination is not illegal. Discrimination on the basis of someone's race is illegal.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
That sounds like "guilty until proven innocent", and it's not helped by presumptively assuming the motive
It's not presuming a motive if the individual says, "because of my religion".
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Snoopy
Do you figure that might be because it's way easier to say "This person is black" than it is to say "this person is gay"? I get that discrimination isn't illegal except on some bases, I'm just confused as to what the objection against protecting the minority group is if they're gay. And more to the point, how does a religious person get to claim religious expression ONLY if they're discriminating against gays, and not against people who are divorced, who eat shrimp, who have pre marital straight sex, who work on Sundays, etc etc etc. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@3RU7AL
And wouldn't it also be presumption that some pair of people are gay unless you actually see them having gay sex? If two women come into your store and ask for a cake that says "Congratulations on your wedding, Pat and Chris" would you be within your religious right to say "Nope, clearly gays!"? 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ludofl3x

Discrimination is not illegal. Discrimination on the basis of someone's race is illegal.

Do you figure that might be because it's way easier to say "This person is black" than it is to say "this person is gay"? I get that discrimination isn't illegal except on some bases, I'm just confused as to what the objection against protecting the minority group is if they're gay. 

I don't mean to disregard history in saying that the Civil Rights Act does not protect a group, such as "gays" or "blacks".  It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of "race".  While I don't want too go deeply into the rationale for civil rights, people can assume that everyone should get a relatively fair shot, shouldn't be held back on account of something they are born into.  Equality of opportunity is an appropriate phrase.  I'm not sure what objection you are referring to.  

And more to the point, how does a religious person get to claim religious expression ONLY if they're discriminating against gays, and not against people who are divorced, who eat shrimp, who have pre marital straight sex, who work on Sundays, etc etc etc. 
Firstly, you shouldn't claim that someone who is "black" is discriminated against on the basis of race because they are requesting a racial service.  Secondly, the idea that all people who do not abide by your religion should not receive service would seem to practically necessitate a closed system of business to begin with.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ludofl3x
So as long as they're not asking for "extra cheese" or something, then he must make whatever's on the menu? Where do you draw THAT line? Can you order a hamburger no bun if you're not black, but if you're black, you have to have the bun? 

Where does the idea of 'at gunpoint' ever enter what I'm saying? Gluten refusal is not analogous as often this is not a choosable option.
1.  you don't have to give a reason to not do something out of the ordinary
2.  if you choose to enforce or make someone do it, you do it by sending people in uniform with guns to threaten them to do it or take them away

ordering a hamburg with no bun is asking someone to NOT do something, you as asking them to NOT put a bun on it, that is totally opposite of what I have been describing.  Regardless they can still say no and tell you to just take it off yourself.
you should look up a video on the "Soup Nazi" from the Seinfeld series, you didn't follow his rules and "NO SOUP FOR YOU, NEXT!"  super funny

I still think you are missing my over all point of forcing someone to do something they don't want to and limited instances I'm talking about.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
If you're going to claim a "religious objection" you should be required to prove you are following every law with equal enthusiasm or explain why one teaching should be prioritized over another.

I don't  believe that is how the first amendment works.

Besides that, protestant Christianity is far too diverse for this to be practical anyway.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ludofl3x
@Snoopy
This is not too far fetched.  Hindus have an entire class of "untouchables" who are darker skinned people.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I don't  believe that is how the first amendment works.
You can't hide behind a "religious objection" without being able to show exactly how your religion prohibits the specific behavior under scrutiny.

The cake guy didn't count their "religious objection" as their primary defense.  They instead opted to pursue a "freedom from compelled speech" defense and was able to win with that.

Prisoners who demand kosher meals are interviewed by a rabbi in order to determine if they are cherry-picking Jewish law.

A native American student who grew his hair long like his ancestors was asked to prove that it was required by his religion, and it was determined to be "traditional" but not mandatory (by their village elders) and so he was required to cut it (for public school).

Besides that, protestant Christianity is far too diverse for this to be practical anyway.
It doesn't matter which flavor of Christianity you claim to believe in.  You still have to prove that some actual rules in your chosen flavor specifically prohibit the behavior under scrutiny.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008). Many state laws also give certain protected groups special protection against harassment and discrimination, as do many employer policies. [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Secondly, the idea that all people who do not abide by your religion should not receive service would seem to practically necessitate a closed system of business to begin with.  
Well stated.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Orthodox Christianity is not a legalistic faith.

In other words, if an Orthodox baker was asked to make a wedding cake for a man and his horse, it would be a matter of his own personal conscience whether or not he should go through with that. It is between him and God.

So in this case it is a matter of whether or not you respect the baker's right of free will, not whether or not you respect his religion. Yet on the other hand, and truthfully, that is what religious liberty is about. Respecting another's free will.

And if the secular authorities were to force a man to work against his conscience in a manner like this, ethical or not, we recognize that all civil and governing authorities were put in place by God, even the evil ones that demand craftsmen to construct idols. And in a very real way, it may not be much different for an Orthodox baker to be forced to make a cake for one of these abominable weddings as it would be for an iconographer to be forced to paint images of some pagan deity.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
So in this case it is a matter of whether or not you respect the baker's right of free will
If you just say "Idonwanna", that's not a religious objection of "conscience".

If you say "Idonwanna" to everyone, then that's your right.

If you only say "Idonwanna" to the gays (or one of the other 9 protected classes), then you might be dragged into court.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Discrimination is not marrying someone of the same sex because they are the same sex as you. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
If you only say "Idonwanna" to the gays (or one of the other 9 protected classes), then you might be dragged into court.
American is the protected class.  A more appropriate choice of wording should be used for the modes of classification
U.S. federal law protects individuals from discrimination or harassment based on the following nine protected classes: sex, race, age, disability, color, creed, national origin, religion, or genetic information (added in 2008).

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Discrimination is not marrying someone of the same sex because they are the same sex as you.
Do you normally marry people for cash money?  Do you serve the public with this "skill"?

Or are you acting as a private individual?

Is this what you're truly afraid of?  That the government will force you to get gay-married?

Are you open-to-the-public?

Or are you more of a Private Club?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Out of curiosity, why is cash of significance to you?

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Are you open-to-the-public?
Each exchange is based upon mutual agreement between two or more private entities regardless of whether or not business is held opened to the public.

YeshuaRedeemed
Debates: 8
YeshuaRedeemed
-->
@3RU7AL
I disagree. Would you say the same if Muslims are in charge, or is your issue with Christians?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
yup it's called a contract
YeshuaRedeemed
Debates: 8
YeshuaRedeemed
-->
@Alec
I used to be bisexual, until I forgave my father for what he did. Gays who repent, will not go to Hell, and since all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God, I don't single out gays. I just choose not to participate. What I want the left to realize, is that, it's not hate to disagree with something the Bible calls a sin.