DEISM is functionally identical to ATHEISM

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 270
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Deism does not necessarily exclude theology. In fact, I find that very difficult to believe. Plesse explain.
Deism (/ˈdiːɪzəm/ DEE-iz-əm [1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/ DAY-iz-əm; derived from Latin "deus" meaning "god") is the philosophical position that rejects revelation as a source of religious knowledge and asserts that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to establish the existence of a Supreme Being or creator of the universe.[3][4][5] [WIKI]
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I would say that is a nonsense definition because in this case God would be revealed through reason and observation of the natural world. An opinion I myself have expressed.
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@zedvictor4
Even if the outcome did have proof, there will be someone who challenges said proof

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PressF4Respect
Even if the outcome did have proof, there will be someone who challenges said proof
That's why you need clear Standards-of-Evidence.

By the way, Spinoza's proof of god is quite rigorous.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I would say that is a nonsense definition because in this case God would be revealed through reason and observation of the natural world. An opinion I myself have expressed.
Wait, are you calling your own position "nonsense"?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
No, I am saying that your definition is nonsense because it implies that what it states in place of revelation isn't itself a type of revelation.

I maintain that theism and deism etymologically mean the exact same thing, the difference being the former is Greek and the later  is Latin.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
No, I am saying that your definition is nonsense because it implies that what it states in place of revelation isn't itself a type of revelation.
Well, thank you for saying so.

Let's be more specific.  DEISM excludes THEOLOGY which necessarily includes HOLY CLERGY and HOLY PROPHETS and HOLY BOOKS.

Is that better?

Etymologically, Holiday = HOLY DAY.

HOLIDAY (n.)

1500s, earlier haliday (c. 1200), from Old English haligdæg "holy day, consecrated day, religious anniversary; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning both "religious festival" and "day of exemption from labor and recreation," but pronunciation and sense diverged 16c. As an adjective mid-15c. Happy holidays is from mid-19c., in British English, with reference to summer vacation from school. As a Christmastime greeting, by 1937, American English, in Camel cigarette ads. [LINK]
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Deism doesn't include those things but it doesn't exclude them either.

I am a deist. I believe God exists. 

What you believe about God is your theology. If you were to say God is unknown even, this is an expression of theology.

Your corrupted usage of the word comes from the fact that in more recent times those who believed in God but couldn't accept the religion of their day called themselves deists. 

Corruption of language leads to silliness like people professing to believe things that don't match their words, or worse yet, the making unintelligible  of true enlightened teaching.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
DEISM by itself, alone supports no THEOLOGY or HOLY CLERGY or HOLY PROPHETS or HOLY BOOKS.

DEISM by itself, alone is FUNCTIONALLY indistinguishable from ATHEISM.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
You could say the same about theism, because theism and deism are the same word in different languages. 

But atheism and deism are completely different. They literally mean the opposite. One is belief in the existence of God or gods. The other is a lack of belief or an outright denial of the existence of God or gods.

But deism certainly does support the theology of God or gods existing. It doesn't necessarily support a particular theology. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
DEISM by itself, alone is FUNCTIONALLY indistinguishable from ATHEISM.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Maybe atheists should abandon their abominable superstition and confess that God exists. Because functionally that would make a huge difference in constructive dialog and world peace.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Maybe theists should abandon their abominable superstition and confess that their god(s) are indistinguishable from NO-GOD(S). Because functionally that would make a huge difference in constructive dialog and world peace.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
See, that isn't ever going to happen, because we have a great deal more invested in this than the God denier.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Besides you are wrong. Do you know what no God looks like? Nothing. There can't be anything without God. This whole topic is nonsense.
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Athias
The reason theists use deist arguments is because there is no evidence (outside of holy texts) of the existence of their particular god. 
You know there's no evidence? How? Please elaborate.
You're handling this quite well, i hope you two continue this evidence topic in this thread. 

My two cents... they do not have any hard evidence that would convince everyone, to date. Is there this evidence? Will there be this evidence? I don't know. If we are going off their holy text... i basically throw that out as evidence bc it's clearly man made. But once we get into subjective evidence, being someone that has witnessed some profound unexplained phenomena, i can't rule out that they may have witnessed something too. However, that evidence can easily be misinterpreted bc as far as i know... it's not repeatable. And, it's very easy for one to correlate these events with ones faith; confirmation bias. I personally would say there is evidence of "something." But going as far as saying it is of any one particular god... i agree with Press that there isn't evidence of that in particular. Simply bc it would contradict a hindu that see's Vishnu or a Christian that witnesses god... maybe it was both the same god, but how can we know which one? I agree with you that he should back up that there is no evidence, but i am on his side that (even though i think there is evidence) it doesn't point to anything other than the unexplained. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Functionality is obviously going to be the same but outcomes will continue to be variable. This is the nature of the beast.

And as ever the discussion descends into another protracted rehash of the same old unresolvable argument.

Though that is not to say that conditioning could not be standardised.

But the trouble will always be, how to agree on the standard. And that discussion will probably always descend into a protracted rehash of the same old unresolvable argument.

But let's be honest and ask ourselves, do we do it for the satisfaction of a resolution or for the enjoyment and stimulation obtained from the argument?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Outplayz
You're handling this quite well, i hope you two continue this evidence topic in this thread. 

My two cents... they do not have any hard evidence that would convince everyone, to date. Is there this evidence? Will there be this evidence? I don't know. If we are going off their holy text... i basically throw that out as evidence bc it's clearly man made. But once we get into subjective evidence, being someone that has witnessed some profound unexplained phenomena, i can't rule out that they may have witnessed something too. However, that evidence can easily be misinterpreted bc as far as i know... it's not repeatable. And, it's very easy for one to correlate these events with ones faith; confirmation bias. I personally would say there is evidence of "something." But going as far as saying it is of any one particular god... i agree with Press that there isn't evidence of that in particular. Simply bc it would contradict a hindu that see's Vishnu or a Christian that witnesses god... maybe it was both the same god, but how can we know which one? I agree with you that he should back up that there is no evidence, but i am on his side that (even though i think there is evidence) it doesn't point to anything other than the unexplained. 
Well stated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Please explain what you mean by, "the same old unresolvable argument".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Besides you are wrong.
Oh, really?

Do you know what no God looks like? Nothing.
NOUMENON (Spinoza's god) solves your "problem of nothing" (PON).

There can't be anything without God.
I agree that there must be some logically necessary "primary unmoved mover sustainer" (NOUMENON).

This whole topic is nonsense.
It looks like about 50/50 to me.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I don't believe that belief in the existence of Deity or deities is not functionally the same as lack of belief in Deity or deities. 

What do you say belief is?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I don't believe that belief in the existence of Deity or deities is not functionally the same as lack of belief in Deity or deities. 
(P1) NOUMENON (Spinoza's god) = GOD

How does the premise, necessarily and practically inform my daily life, my ethics, my moral sense, and or my political views?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I dispute that noumenon is spinoza's God to begin with.

God is not a manifestation of the mind. If that was the case, mind would be God. At that point, you wouldn't say God is noumenon, instead you would say that God is nous.

And even that sounds pretty new age hippy dippy.

You didn't tell me how you understand belief. For all I know, you could be saying something meaningless like "There is no functional difference between belief in the tastiness of apples and belief in the fluffiness of clouds."

But in any case, these are functionally different. 

Maybe you should say what you mean by functional as well.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Outplayz
I see no reason this discussion--or any discussion for that matter--cannot be handled with decorum.

My two cents... they do not have any hard evidence that would convince everyone, to date. Is there this evidence? Will there be this evidence? I don't know. If we are going off their holy text... i basically throw that out as evidence bc it's clearly man made.
Why does its being "man-made" as you put it disqualify it as evidence?

However, that evidence can easily be misinterpreted bc as far as i know... it's not repeatable.
And how do you know this?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I dispute that noumenon is spinoza's God to begin with.
(P1) NOUMENON = GOD
(P2) Spinoza's god = GOD

How do (EITHER) of these premises, necessarily and practically inform my daily life, my ethics, my moral sense, and or my political views?

God is not a manifestation of the mind.
How do you know this?  Do you know what "the mind" (not "the brain") is?  Do you know where your thoughts and ideas originate?

The god that can be spoken out of the mouth is not the true and eternal god.

If that was the case, mind would be God.
(OR) god = mind.

At that point, you wouldn't say God is noumenon, instead you would say that God is nous.
Sure, whatever you want to call it.

And even that sounds pretty new age hippy dippy.
Perhaps some of those hippies knew what the flip they were talking about.

You didn't tell me how you understand belief.
I have no idea what you're driving at here.

For all I know, you could be saying something meaningless like "There is no functional difference between belief in the tastiness of apples and belief in the fluffiness of clouds."
Do your religious teachings and holy scriptures inform your daily life and your ethical or moral sense and political ideas?

If you hypothetically LOST FAITH in your religious teachings and holy scriptures, would that change what you do in your daily life and your ethical and moral sense and political ideas?

But in any case, these are functionally different. 
What?  Cloud =/= Apple.  I agree 100%

Maybe you should say what you mean by functional as well.
Functional.  If you drove a blue 2018 toyota camry everyday it would be FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL to you driving a green 2017 honda civic everyday.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Belief is functionally different than non belief.

Belief in Truth is definitely different than not believing in truth. 

I couldn't lose faith because I understand what it is our faith is in and thus realize nothing else can be valid.

You don't understand what our faith is in, and so your grasp of it is very superficial. You only see the created externals of faith, not the spirit that inspires these manifestations.

What is my religion? Sincerity of faith and charity. Where could I go after this? Self deception and apathy toward my neighbor? It would be like a dog returning to his own vomit and eating  it for me to choose worldliness over godliness. Everything in this world is vanity, I gain no pleasure from it anyway. Even the things that bring brief enjoyment leave empty soon after. My fortress, my home, my rest is in God. My life's focus is to abide in God with both my heart and mind. In my walk.

What is life without God? Meaningless. Vain. Not even really life, but death. Endless suffering and no consolation. With God, I have my consolation. With God I can endure the suffering and even transcend it. Without God there is no reason for anything. It is an empty existence where life is simply the satisfying of the lusts of the mind and flesh. What else is there? Where is the motivation? Where is the conviction? Everything is done for the hell of it.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Belief is functionally different than non belief.
This is true only if there is some Quantifiable difference in your words or actions.

Belief in Truth is definitely different than not believing in truth. 
I'm pretty confident everyone believes in some sort of truth.

I couldn't lose faith because I understand what it is our faith is in and thus realize nothing else can be valid.
That's why I said "hypothetically".  Imagine you lost faith in a particular friendship?  Would this change your behavior?

You don't understand what our faith is in, and so your grasp of it is very superficial. You only see the created externals of faith, not the spirit that inspires these manifestations.
Faith without Works is Empty.

What is my religion? Sincerity of faith and charity. Where could I go after this? Self deception and apathy toward my neighbor? It would be like a dog returning to his own vomit and eating  it for me to choose worldliness over godliness. Everything in this world is vanity, I gain no pleasure from it anyway. Even the things that bring brief enjoyment leave empty soon after. My fortress, my home, my rest is in God. My life's focus is to abide in God with both my heart and mind. In my walk.
That's great, but how does DEISM inform any of your values?  Do you believe people who believe in other gods or no particular god also love their families and care about their neighbors?

What is life without God? Meaningless. Vain. Not even really life, but death. Endless suffering and no consolation.
Family and Society are very meaningful, regardless of which god or gods or non-specific god or non-god you believe in.

With God, I have my consolation.
I promise to pay you 243 million dollars after you die (non-transferable) if you follow my rules.

With God I can endure the suffering and even transcend it.
What?  Why?  Because you imagine you will be "rewarded" in "heaven"?

Without God there is no reason for anything.
Lot's of people find life extremely meaningful without faith in your god.

It is an empty existence where life is simply the satisfying of the lusts of the mind and flesh.
That's what CULT LEADERS want you to think.

What else is there? Where is the motivation? Where is the conviction? Everything is done for the hell of it.
I care about and help and am helped by my friends and family BECAUSE WE'RE HUMAN. 

Not for some BS-magic-jackpot-casket-stuffer-after-you-die. [LINK]
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mutilate my posts. Do I have to make smaller posts?

How does belief in God effect my values? It doesn't as I already stated. Love of God is where the effect is. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mutilate my posts. Do I have to make smaller posts?
You post whatever you feel comfortable with and I will post whatever I feel comfortable with. 

That's how this works.

How does belief in God effect my values? It doesn't as I already stated. Love of God is where the effect is. 
I get it.  You're hair-splitting belief and love.  Ok.

How does your love of god affect your values?

Do you think it's conceivable that someone who loves a totally different god (or no-god) might act the same (or very similarly) as you?
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Athias
Why does its being "man-made" as you put it disqualify it as evidence?
Well, it depends on what we are saying it stands as evidence for. It doesn't disqualify as a possibility. Everything we have ever imagined could be real in some possible world. I just don't think the text is evidence enough for me to say, become Christian and abandon what i believe.

And how do you know this?
I purposefully said as far as i know. There could be some monk out there that somehow can repeat his beliefs but just doesn't have the desire to show the world or a psychic that is making millions and doesn't want the world to know about him/her; those could be scenarios. But as far as i know, it doesn't seem to be repeatable with our present day knowledge simply, bc if it were... i think we would have all heard about it by now. Minus things like conspiracies to withhold this information or fringe people with no desire to share... i would say there is no repeatable evidence the rest can show. I would add that bc i have experienced stuff and know i can't repeat it... that would also be a reason i suspect this, but i can't generalize with my experience vs. others... maybe they can. But that is sorta another reason i don't think it's repeatable. We can also add other things to this like human nature and a thirst for power. I would say all combined, i'm pretty confident there isn't repeatable evidence for "a particular deity."