On The Topic of Ridiculous Flame Wars

Author: blamonkey

Total: 117
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
I recently posted this on debate.org. I think it is necessary for you folks to read it as well. Hopefully we can simmer down. This is an amalgamation of 2 posts that I created on DDO. I think it is highly applicable to the current state of affairs on this site.

I do not understand the need for constant flame-wars in which people hurl insults at each-other to inflate their own ego. You people are on debate.org! Population: spammers, trolls, bullies, and faux intellectuals. Of course there are those you disagree with. An immediate reaction to try to emotionally hurt them through petty insult and claim yourself more smart, rational, or more mentally stable is not only contradictory, but also unhealthy. Extreme anger clots the blood, possibly leading to circulatory complications that could result in death. As a result, studies indicate that those with no past medical history related to heart disease, but were chronically angry were 19% more likely to develop heart problems than those who rarely experience anger according to an analysis of 44 studies (1). While it is also unhealthy to "bottle up" anger, it should also be noted that by showcasing aggressive behavior, it is unlikely that either of you are going to feel some sort of resolve and get over it. Art Markman, professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, as cited by The Scientific American explains:
"At the end of it [the flame war] you can't possibly feel like anybody heard you. Having a strong emotional experience that doesn't resolve itself in any healthy way can't be a good thing." (2)

TL;DR
Chill out, I am worried about your circulatory systems. Ergo, think about the hearts! What did your circulatory system ever do to you? You should always treat it with the utmost respect. So, have a heart, and save your heart.

This was a PSA from the Save Hearts, Instigate Tenderly organization.

DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
I couldn't agree more. I've spent lots of time on local forums back in the day and it was all about fighting, no respect and no decency. It's still probably the same way though. If you share something personal or ask for some advice or just come up with an interesting topic, doesn't matter, people momentarily say what a piece of shit you are and start criticising you. It is as toxic as it gets and after that, one learns to appreciate a community of decent people like the one we have here so it'd be awesome if we did our best not to turn it into one big shit show.
Castin
Castin
I agree. All I can do is promise to make an effort to not become part of the problem.

But I think we shouldn't get unrealistic expectations. This is simply the nature of the internet. People who don't like each other can't coexist in the same space without creating trouble. We're never going to eliminate the problem completely and I think it's important to have thick skins.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@ethang5
@Castin
@Imabench
@blamonkey
My flame war exposed a psychopath and got my other enemy banned from here.

I know others are far less productive with their flaming and understand the irritation.

But just like you and Casting were born to bring peace, Imabench and ethajg we're born to bring flamewars.

Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Last I checked most of the flamewars I get involved in were at least limited to threads that they took place in and ended there, whereas others felt the need to drag the beef they have with me into absolutely every other forum they possibly could
Zeichen
Zeichen
-->
@blamonkey
You are assuming that those who participate in flame wars do so because of “anger”.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
>>headshake<<

Even in a thread asking that we stop the negativity.

-->@castin
I don't think we need to be so pessimistic. People coming here will see our ethos and quickly adjust. Those that won't or can't will face board moderation. I see no reason we have to accept poor behavior just because it's what many people do.

Thick skins are good, but the boards first level of protection of its members should not be for them to develop a thick skin. But you are an excellent role model for good forum behavior, though I wish you were a bit less cynical.
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic (said all pessimists ever). Also I'm not the role model for anything and if anyone tries to shine the spotlight on me I will cut them in the face and run away. Hissing.

To be serious, it's not that I'm saying this forum shouldn't have standards of conduct or that those standards should not be enforced. But I do think there will always be dislike, that it will always create tension, and that there will always be people who perceive offense and retaliate.

And do me a favor and hit the reply button more, I miss some of your replies because you're not @ing me.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
But I do think there will always be dislike, that it will always create tension, and that there will always be people who perceive offense and retaliate. 
But that is why we have mods.

Understand this. I don't mind some heated exchanges here and there. I'm talking specifically about behavior that mucks up the smooth functioning of the board.

Calling someone an idiot because they advanced a really silly idea is one thing, but "hating" the religion board and making little snide remarks about posters to that board is another thing.

Posting that you don't think God exists and your reasons why you think so is one thing, shouting "God does not exist!" To every poster in the religion forum and insulting him is another matter.

Posting that you think some political or religious POV is illogical is one thing, 20+ posts in less than 6 hours to one forum by one person is spam.

There is a reason bench was banned multiple times. And there is a reason he braggs about it now. We have to know the difference between the two types of behavior. Moderate the heated exchanges, but cut out the behavior that impede the functioning of the board as a whole.

It slows activity, and slow activity causes posters to leave. Low poster count will cause the site to die. I don't want that.
Imabench
Imabench
Moderate the heated exchanges, but cut out the behavior that impede the functioning of the board as a whole.
Coming from someone who follows people across threads trying to provoke fights and also tagging the mod in every little thing that offends you, thats pretty hilarious in terms of sheer hypocrisy. 

Id suggest you 'practice what you preach', but that concept never seems to go over well with the ultra religious

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
I honestly couldn't find much fault in your arguments there, eth. In my opinion, those things do contribute to trouble. The problem is that none of them is a slam dunk ban or even a slam dunk warning. So how do you moderate it? Should there be a limit on how many posts you can make in 6 hours? Is "God does not exist" a threat or a personal attack? Should expressing dislike for a certain forum be against the rules? You'd almost need a very active ref who can spot problem behavior as it arises and hand out commands on a case by case basis. And even if you had that, people would quickly start bitching and calling the ref the Gestapo.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Imabench
Did I follow you here loser?

The mod is not stupid. If I taggeg him for only things that offended me, he would not have banned them. You want a non-moderated board where you can be a moron troll unhindered. You will not get that here.

Id suggest you....
The only suggestions you need is to stop being a moron troll.

Stop following me and then lying that I follow you.

Stop crying about people being against you as you go around the board being a jerk.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
I honestly couldn't find much fault in your arguments there, eth. In my opinion, those things do contribute to trouble. The problem is that none of them is a slam dunk ban or even a slam dunk warning. So how do you moderate it?
You don't need a slam dunk anything, just adjustment of behavior. Bully, willows, RM, and Zeichen, etc were banned. Bully and whomever were not perma-banned will be back with appropriate behavior or will leave.

Should there be a limit on how many posts you can make in 6 hours?
I am willing to leave that to the discretion of the Mod, who happens not to be an idiot. If is a judgement call, the call is his and I will live with it.

Is "God does not exist" a threat or a personal attack?
The Mod will decide. But to think that because some called will be judgement calls, we can't make any is not realistic.

Should expressing dislike for a certain forum be against the rules?
Judgement call. But if the person is a known troll, has been banned multiple times, brags about being a jerk, and insults people wantonly, I don't think its as difficult a call as you seem to think.

You'd almost need a very active ref who can spot problem behavior as it arises and hand out commands on a case by case basis.
That is what threads need. That is why we report violations to the mod who cannot be everywhere, that is why more mods are appointed. It is not as difficult as you think, very few people are as dumb and obstinate as our loser troll.

And even if you had that, people would quickly start bitching and calling the ref the Gestapo. 
They will always do that. Especially the ones who troll. So what? That is the behavior of jerks. Our loser is currently saying there is a "crusade" against him, completely oblivious to his trolling all over the board. Let them bitch and whine.
Zeichen
Zeichen
-->
@ethang5
I have never been banned from this site.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Zeichen
Sorry Z, I meant Zarroette.

Hope you suffered no rep damage.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Zeichen
Congrats. 

I remember a time when all were laughing and celebrating that I got banned. Then I come back 3 days later like a true G.

Zeichen
Zeichen
-->
@ethang5
Thank you for clarifying. :) I would add that Zarroette’s ban was the most deserved of all.

Although, vagabond and Willows being banned is also greatly beneficial to the site. It should be permanent in all cases. 

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Zeichen
I agree.

There are a few more people that seem to be determined to get banned. I just wonder about that. I guess appealing to their clique is more important than showing good sense.

Anyway, Sorry again.

Imabench
Imabench
Did I follow you here?
No you've only followed me into 3 or 4 different forums and imagined me kissing a lot, which reveals a lot about your inner insecurities. 

There are a few more people that seem to be determined to get banned
Im sure you'll get there should you keep up this childish and pathetic little crusade of yours 

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
When were vaga and Wills banned?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Imabench
...which reveals a lot about your inner insecurities. 
Your insecurities are all out for us to see. Be sure you brought your echo chamber with you.

Im sure you'll get there should you keep up this childish and pathetic little crusade of yours
Or if you keep being a moron troll. Either or.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
A few days ago. 

Incidentally, hari also brought his special brand of stupidity here and was promptly banned.

I can literally feel the other troll shaking in his booties, and that alone may keep him from being a jerk. But his history says otherwise.

Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
Wow. There's a sheriff in this here town.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
That is what a real debate site looks like.

Imabench
Imabench
-->
@ethang5
Your insecurities are all out for us to see
Lol, I don't have any insecurities..... So far I've been perfectly comfortable on this site while participating in discussions and occasionally flaming some dumbass like you for being a dumbass, whereas you've been posting about me at 2am, imagining me kissing things, and launching a one-man crusade against me just because I embarrassed you in a forum a single time (something you prefer to do on your own apparently). 

Castin
Castin
Suggestion 1: Everyone picks the same Winnie the Pooh image as their profile picture, disarming hostilities.

Suggestion 2: Everyone picks the same Justin Bieber image as their profile picture, ensuring hate is spread equally among all members.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Imabench
Lol, I don't have any insecurities....
Right. You got banned 9 times due to your healthy personality.

So far I've been perfectly comfortable on this site while participating in discussions and occasionally flaming some dumbass like you for being a dumbass,
You're too stupid to tell, but your "comfort" zone is about to be blown up.

whereas you've been posting about me at 2am, 
It's called the world wide web 
moron, I'm in a different time zone. But nice to see you checked.

imagining me kissing things,
Not things. Your stupidity. And you will run, or kiss it on the lips.

You're the one who's snarling and vulgar. Gives away your embarrassment. Because status in a clique means so much to you, you imagine you "embarrassed" me.

Well Mr. Moron troll. You've made your bed, and it's approaching your bedtime. Like I said, you have nothing. Lame childish insults. Pretense at being tickled (XD)

Wait a little, I'm sure one of your old DDO lemmings will come and make you feel relevant again. In the main time, I'll show your emptiness.

What a loser.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Castin
C'mon Castin. You know you secretly like the Biebster. Admit it!
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@ethang5
You got banned 9 times due to your healthy personality.
Has it occurred to you that me casually admitting to be temp-banned 8 times on multiple occasions means I'm not at all insecure about it?

Oh wait of course it wouldn't occur to you since you're a dumb little faggot XD

you will run, or kiss it on the lips.
There you go again letting your closet homosexuality slip out. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
C'mon Castin. You know you secretly like the Biebster. Admit it!
I do not know this man making claims about me. Furthermore I saw him escaping in a straitjacket from a gated facility, pursued by two men in orderly scrubs.