Anti-Abortion = Anti-Personal-Privacy

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 411
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
My point is that this isn't inconsistent with how legal/criminal liability is currently levied.
This is legally incoherent.

If I'm at a party, and I see some twerp that I don't like, and then I pummel them into the dance floor in order to increase my social standing, and in the scuffle, the twerp shoots me dead...

AM I GUILTY OF SUICIDE??
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
shooting her is the only effective means to end her assault, 
So really almost never since it is hard to imagine being in a situation where shooting someone is the only effective means of defense against an unarmed pregnant woman slapping you.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
@3RU7AL
@3RU7AL:

Just so that there are no misconceptions about my argument, here it is:

Should one argue that an abortion is an extension of a woman's right to her  privacy and person, then by that same reasoning, a parent's obligation to the sustenance of his or her children should be argued capable of being [ABANDONED AT A MEDICAL FACILITY] as well regardless of the children's age.
Why a medical facility?

What moral theory do you subscribe to?
Individualism.

This is legally incoherent.

If I'm at a party, and I see some twerp that I don't like, and then I pummel them into the dance floor in order to increase my social standing, and in the scuffle, the twerp shoots me dead...

AM I GUILTY OF SUICIDE??
Are you arguing under the misunderstanding that we're discussing action rather than liability? She did not shoot herself, that much is clear. If the State can substantiate that she was indeed the aggressor, then they can make the case that the circumstances which concluded in her being shot is primarily her fault. And moral liability rests with her if she in fact initiated the aggression.

@secularmerlin

So really almost never since it is hard to imagine being in a situation where shooting someone is the only effective means of defense against an unarmed pregnant woman slapping you.
It's not about that which one can imagine, it's about moral liability. Her welfare cannot be my responsibility once she initiates aggression. Absent of any aggression, I have a moral responsibility to do everyone no harm. Once aggression is initiated, I no longer bear the obligation to the individual because that individual violated the same obligation he or she bears me. Hence, I sustain my right to my person by effectively ending the aggression by any means.

Your argument is that the reaction is not commensurate with the action. That is not the concern of the target; that is concern of the aggressor.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
...then they can make the case that the circumstances which concluded in her being shot is primarily her fault.
That makes every victim responsible for crimes against them (they should have taken precautions).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wipe the slate clean.  Forget about the Alabama case.  Read this please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AM I GUILTY OF SUICIDE??

This is a "yes" or "no" question.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@3RU7AL
Right there you declared the intent: to increase social standing. If you saw they had a gun and you wanted to die, then assaulted them, it would be. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
That makes every victim responsible for crimes against them (they should have taken precautions).
No, it doesn't. They're alleging that she's the aggressor. The "victim" in this case (and I'm assuming here given the extent of the information provided) could be the one who shot her. That is, the other one involved could make the case of an affirmative defense where she was defending herself.

AM I GUILTY OF SUICIDE??
Did you shoot yourself dead? No. Are you morally and criminally liable for the circumstances that concluded in your death? Yes.

Now answer me this:

If I were the father of a 3 year-old child and my child got into my unlocked drawer which contains my firearm where he'd pick it up, unwittingly discharge it, fatally wounding himself, and upon the advent of this tragedy, the State charges me with negligent homicide, would the charge be alleging that I shot my son?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@bmdrocks21
Right there you declared the intent: to increase social standing. If you saw they had a gun and you wanted to die, then assaulted them, it would be. 
I had no idea they had a gun.

I initiated the aggression.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@3RU7AL
Well it is your fault for getting killed. The only question is the intention. Either you were incredibly reckless or you did commit suicide. 

Are you talking about the Alabama case? If so, a more accurate example would be this: you attack someone, and while they defend themselves, the gun discharges. The bullet hits a completely innocent bystander. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@bmdrocks21
Well it is your fault for getting killed. The only question is the intention. Either you were incredibly reckless or you did commit suicide. 

Are you talking about the Alabama case? If so, a more accurate example would be this: you attack someone, and while they defend themselves, the gun discharges. The bullet hits a completely innocent bystander. 
The person firing the gun is 100% guilty of manslaughter.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Submit your reasoning.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Did you shoot yourself dead? No.
But you're claiming that the aggressor is somehow more-responsible than the trigger-man (?).

By that logic, I am guilty of suicide.

Are you morally and criminally liable for the circumstances that concluded in your death? Yes.
So we should let all those kids out of prison who shot people after being bullied.  Ammiright?

Now answer me this:

If I were the father of a 3 year-old child and my child got into my unlocked drawer which contains my firearm where he'd pick it up, unwittingly discharge it, fatally wounding himself, and upon the advent of this tragedy, the State charges me with negligent homicide, would the charge be alleging that I shot my son?
You're moving the goalposts.  A 3-year-old-trigger-man is not LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

If a 20-year-old got into their father's unlocked drawer which contains their firearm and then fatally wounded themself, would that still be considered negligent homicide?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Submit your reasoning.
It's tautological.

If you kill someone by running them over with your car INTENTIONALLY it's called MURDER.

If you kill someone by running them over with your car UNINTENTIONALLY it's called MANSLAUGHTER.

If you shoot someone to death with a gun INTENTIONALLY it's called MURDER.

If you shoot someone to death with a gun UNINTENTIONALLY it's called MANSLAUGHTER.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
But you're claiming that the aggressor is somehow more-responsible than the trigger-man
Yes.

By that logic, I am guilty of suicide.
Legally, no. Suicide isn't a crime. Now if you're referring to the act itself (actus reus,) then again no, you did not shoot yourself.

So we should let all those kids out of prison who shot people after being bullied.  Ammiright?
If they were defending themselves against aggression, then sure, why not?

You're moving the goalposts.  A 3-year-old-trigger-man is not LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.
There's no moving of the goalposts. The State decrees that any person victimized by aggression is not LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS which effectively end said aggression. This is especially true in cases of affirmative defense. (A notable case on the matter would be the Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman case.)

If a 20 year-old got into their father's unlocked drawer which contains their firearm and then fatally wounded themself, would that still be considered negligent homicide?
You're still not answering the question. I asked would the state be alleging in the charge that I shot my son, his age notwithstanding?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL

If you kill someone by running them over with your car INTENTIONALLY it's called MURDER.

If you kill someone by running them over with your car UNINTENTIONALLY it's called MANSLAUGHTER.

If you shoot someone to death with a gun INTENTIONALLY it's called MURDER.

If you shoot someone to death with a gun UNINTENTIONALLY it's called MANSLAUGHTER.

What about the cases where one shoots another to death in self-defense? What is that called?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@3RU7AL
So we should now fault people for attempting to defend themselves? They didn't ask to get attacked. Had the aggressor not been so foolish, nothing bad would have happened in the first place. They caused a chain of events that led to a death because they wished to assault another. Maybe both are responsible. Maybe just the attacker, but certainly not just the victim of the assault.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Private or oublic, child sacrifice is an abomination.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Mopac
Don't think it is quite sacrifice. It is killing someone to avoid responsibilities and dealing with the consequences of your actions. There a couple exceptions to that reasoning, but the vast majority of them fall under that category.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@bmdrocks21
As you are denying a child its birth through abortion, I believe it is totally justifiable to call it child sacrifice.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Mopac
As you are denying a child its birth through abortion

Deny its birth? Do abortions necessarily deny birth?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
If they were defending themselves against aggression, then sure, why not?
Generally speaking, lethal force is permissible when you or other innocent life face an imminent, credible risk of death or grievous bodily harm. [LINK]

Credible risk of death.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@bmdrocks21
So we should now fault people for attempting to defend themselves? They didn't ask to get attacked. Had the aggressor not been so foolish, nothing bad would have happened in the first place. They caused a chain of events that led to a death because they wished to assault another. Maybe both are responsible. Maybe just the attacker, but certainly not just the victim of the assault.
Generally speaking, lethal force is permissible when you or other innocent life face an imminent, credible risk of death or grievous bodily harm. [LINK]

Credible risk of death.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Mopac
Don't get me wrong, I'm very much anti-abortion. I'm just saying people are being selfish and irresponsible. Semantics game, really. Sacrificing implies they are doing it for some sort of deity.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@3RU7AL
Those laws vary on the state. Florida, for instance, has very loose self-defense laws. I'm not sure what they Alabama laws are. However, if someone is assaulting you, you don't necessarily know their intent. They could intend to kill you, and I don't think the victim should have to wait and see.

Did they mention the extent of the assault in the Alabama case?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Generally speaking, lethal force is permissible when you or other innocent life face an imminent, credible risk of death or grievous bodily harm. [LINK]

Credible risk of death.
Why the sophism? You left a substantial amount of that article out of consideration (e.g. the scope of consideration for grievous bodily harm.) Not to mention, the article mentions that self-defense laws vary from state to state. Alabama for example is one of the few remaining states that has "Stand Your Ground" Laws. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
That's kinda my point.

Those "Stand Your Ground" laws are brand new.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Those "Stand Your Ground" laws are brand new.
Why does that matter?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Athias
A live birth certainly.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@bmdrocks21
The god of convenience/sexual immorality.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Mopac
A live birth certainly.
And I presume you'd argue that its mother bears the obligation to ensure a live birth or at least carry it to term? What would you argue informs this obligation?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Athias
If you don't want to have a baby, don't have sex.