-->
@bmdrocks21
For example?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
oh I thought I had answered you, no, I can't imagine a future where it wouldn't exist to some degree.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Nah bro, it's HISTORICAL SLAVERY. and the lack of reparations. Get your story straight.

Yes, we must let them enslave us. It is the only true reparation.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
They're not fatherless. Just unmarried.

It's a big problem, even if you hypothetically assume the father is there 100% of the time, and far more significant than historical slavery.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Right, ok, then the existence of those effects is what is being talked about. It just doesn't go away because someone put pen to paper. But we have people literally saying racism is dead because we had a black president.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@drafterman
Black-only safe spaces not only exist, this article by the Guardian defends them.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Greyparrot
It's a big problem, even if you hypothetically assume the father is there 100% of the time, and far more significant than historical slavery.
Unless it is the treatment of blacks on a historical scale that caused it.

That's like me shooting you in the liver and saying it's the hole in the liver that is causing your pain, not my gun.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bmdrocks21
Okay, so they are black only spaces, which means white people literally aren't in them. So how could they be examples of social circles, with white people, where the white people aren't allowed to talk? ROFL.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
Right, ok, then the existence of those effects is what is being talked about. It just doesn't go away because someone put pen to paper. But we have people literally saying racism is dead because we had a black president.

I don't know why you care about winning a semantic argument about whether slavery and racism is dead or not. Whether it is significant is the only point of import.
drafterman
drafterman
The goal posts move so fast in this thread, how do you guys keep track?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Greyparrot
Because if you acknowledge that the after affects didn't just magically go away, then we talk about what those affects are and how they resonate today. You want to act as if the state of affairs of black people just appeared out of a void with no connection to the history of their treatment in this country.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
Unless it is the treatment of blacks on a historical scale that caused it.

That's very interesting that you said that because I have statistics that show fatherlessness increasing AFTER the Civil Rights act.

Did America become MORE racist after 1964? How?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
No, I don't that's your projection.

I am exactly like DreadPirate that acknowledges white supremacists and racism does exist, but it is a dwindling influence and insignificant compared to far more important pressing matters that exist in the present.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Greyparrot
That's very interesting that you said that because I have statistics that show fatherlessness increasing AFTER the Civil Rights act.

Did America become MORE racist after 1964? How?
If you want a single clear cut issue as to why that rate is the way it is, I don't have it. No one does. I don't even know why you brought it up.

No, I don't that's your projection.

I am exactly like DreadPirate that acknowledges white supremacists and racism does exist, but it is a dwindling influence and insignificant compared to far more important pressing matters that exist in the present.
Of course it seems like it is dwindling when you attempt to reframe every issue surrounding people of a given race as being separate from racism.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@drafterman
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
If you want a single clear cut issue as to why that rate is the way it is, I don't have it. No one does. I don't even know why you brought it up.

I brought it up because your assumption process to frame every problem is to scream racism first and look at other factors after. What's that phrase? Confirmation bias? Yeah, that one.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bmdrocks21
A hypothetical musing isn't an example of a "social circle where you are not even allowed to speak if you claim being straight while having white skin and a penis."

Listen, it's very simple.

Show me something that:

1. Actually exists in the real world.
2. Is a social circle (e.g. not a political structure or civic organization that Grey linked to)
3. Has white men in it.
4. The white men aren't allowed to speak (e.g. not simply one person wishing they didn't have to listen to white men)
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@drafterman
The fact that we live in a world where garbage like that is published is enough for me.

I can think of plenty of places where white people aren't allowed. Ie. anti-white segregation. 

What do you define as "not being allowed to speak"? There are places where you will get booed and attacked for saying unpopular things. Like if a man said "cop lives matter" at a blm rally, they would probably get attacked.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Greyparrot
But you brought up a problem whose cause isn't clear. How does that serve either argument? And I explicitly said I was speaking hypothetically; I didn't say it is necessarily due to systemic racism. So where do you get off with these accusations?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bmdrocks21
The fact that we live in a world where garbage like that is published is enough for me.
What do you mean it's "enough"?

I can think of plenty of places where white people aren't allowed. Ie. anti-white segregation. 

What do you define as "not being allowed to speak"? There are places where you will get booed and attacked for saying unpopular things. Like if a man said "cop lives matter" at a blm rally, they would probably get attacked.
<br>
No, receiving criticism for saying something stupid is not the same thing as not being allowed to speak.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@drafterman
And for example, white people are told they cannot have opinions on racism, and men are told they cannot have opinions on abortion.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@drafterman
Saying "cops lives matter" is stupid?
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@drafterman
Unless you believe the effects of centuries of slavery and discrimination magically vanish over night

To be fair, nobody is saying this. Slavery ended 154 years ago. I'd hardly call that"overnight". Jim Crow laws were abolished more than 50 years ago. That's not "overnight" either.
To put how long 50 years is in proper perspective, 50 years ago Singapore was more or less a 3rd world country. They themselves carried the stigma of having been colonial subjects but that didn't stop them from building a great country.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bmdrocks21
Saying "cops lives matter" is stupid? You disgust me.
At a BLM rally in response to "Black lives matter"? Yeah. A stupid thing to do.

Just like going to a KKK meeting and saying "Black likes matter" would be a stupid thing to do.

And for example, white people are told they cannot have opinions on racism, and men are told they cannot have opinions on abortion.
No, other people having opinions you disagree with is not the same as you not being allowed to speak.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Swagnarok
To be fair, nobody is saying this. Slavery ended 154 years ago. I'd hardly call that"overnight". Jim Crow laws were abolished more than 50 years ago. That's not "overnight" either.
To put how long 50 years is in proper perspective, 50 years ago Singapore was more or less a 3rd world country. They themselves carried the stigma of having been colonial subjects but that didn't stop them from building a great country.
To put it in perspective, slavery and discriminatory policies existed, legally, for about 350 years and have been gone (only legally) for 50. That'd like me beating you up every day for a month, then, after half a week, being like, "We cool, now?"

That's perspective. And yeah, no one is saying it went away overnight. They're just implying it, or at least are unwilling to acknowledge that any present day condition is a consequence of that period of time. So it's pretty useless to acknowledge that the after effects generally exist while at the same time denying the existence of them specifically.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman

Just like going to a KKK meeting and saying "Black likes matter" would be a stupid thing to do.

There are far more racist BLM members in America today than KKK members. What is your point here?

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Greyparrot
I said what my point was:

"[R]eceiving criticism for saying something stupid is not the same thing as not being allowed to speak."
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
In both of those social circles, you are most definitely not allowed to speak if you are the wrong shade of skin.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Greyparrot
For BLM? That is not correct.

For KKK? How would they know?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@drafterman
For KKK? How would they know?

Hahaha ...let's not derail a serious issue with humor.