Author: Dynasty

Total: 121
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
That is not what I said, no. Again, as an example, butterflies have wings, but if I clip off a butterflies' wings, it doesn't stop being a butterfly.
It was a question. Is reproduction essential to be called a life?
Of what?
The very thing I quoted. "You have to have the ability to change, not that you have to change."
I don't know how you could've missed what I was referring too. If it wasn't clear give me an example of a life's ability to change.
Metabolism is a mechanism, it is a process in which external chemicals and energy are converted into internal chemicals and energy for use.

Growth is when the increase in material of an organism is greater than the decrease of material.

Metabolism is how organisms grow. It is the process organisms acquire new material.
Talking about this:"maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism."

You basically meant maintaining an increase of material? 
No I do not. And it is not "begging the question."
Okay. I had stuff written down but then I realized it was semantical if you agreed with me at the end so I am going to change my question. 

Referring to this: "but I think it's more important to understand that just meeting one of these requirements doesn't make something a life."

Okay so how many do you need or is something required? 

It is a waste of time for me to challenge this if you simply said well this one isn't important.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
That is not what I said, no. Again, as an example, butterflies have wings, but if I clip off a butterflies' wings, it doesn't stop being a butterfly.
It was a question. Is reproduction essential to be called a life?
Yes.

Of what?
The very thing I quoted. "You have to have the ability to change, not that you have to change."
I don't know how you could've missed what I was referring too. If it wasn't clear give me an example of a life's ability to change.
They produce offspring that is genetically different.

Metabolism is a mechanism, it is a process in which external chemicals and energy are converted into internal chemicals and energy for use.

Growth is when the increase in material of an organism is greater than the decrease of material.

Metabolism is how organisms grow. It is the process organisms acquire new material.
Talking about this:"maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism."

You basically meant maintaining an increase of material? 
Yes.

No I do not. And it is not "begging the question."
Okay. I had stuff written down but then I realized it was semantical if you agreed with me at the end so I am going to change my question. 

Referring to this: "but I think it's more important to understand that just meeting one of these requirements doesn't make something a life."

All of them

It is a waste of time for me to challenge this if you simply said well this one isn't important.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
Yes.
then sterile people are not life?

I'll just stick to this one because you said you require all of them to be considered a life. If you want me to challenge the others do ask. 

You missed me as the receiver. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
then sterile people are not life?
Did you not understand my analogies?

I'll just stick to this one because you said you require all of them to be considered a life. If you want me to challenge the others do ask. 

You missed me as the receiver. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
Did you not understand my analogies?
I am guessing this one:
butterflies have wings, but if I clip off a butterflies' wings, it doesn't stop being a butterfly.

Humans are still humans even if they can't reproduce is my understanding of the analogy.  

Explaining myself: You said reproduction is essential to life so why is a human missing that still a life? 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Explaining myself: You said reproduction is essential to life so why is a human missing that still a life? 
Because that is an abberation from the norm, not a representative example.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
Because that is an abberation from the norm, not a representative example.
So is it normal for people to die or does it happen and you draw the line for them to not be considered a life? 

Please also tell me the difference between the two.

I was talking about life in general I am talking about sterilized people. Why are you pivoting to well they are a minority when my argument doesn't concern non-sterilized people? 

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So is it normal for people to die or does it happen and you draw the line for them to not be considered a life? 
Huh? Yes it is normal for people to die.

Please also tell me the difference between the two.
If I have to tell you the difference between a living person and a dead person then I think we are at an impasse.

I was talking about life in general I am talking about sterilized people.
Except humans, in general, aren't sterilzied. So are you talking about people in general or specific abberations?

Why are you pivoting to well they are a minority when my argument doesn't concern non-sterilized people? 
Because my argument does.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
Okay I'll say this again because I made errors above.

I am talking about sterilized people, how can they be considered life when they don't meet 1 criteria as in reproduction?

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I've already answer the question in four different ways.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
Just do it one more time because you answered stuff that missed key words. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Because sterilized humans aren't representative, they're exceptions
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
Because sterilized humans aren't representative, they're exceptions
I am not speaking about whether or not they are representatives I am speaking about if sterilized humans can be considered life.

You are avoiding what is being said.

You said if 1 of them cannot be met they are not life.

Sterilized humans do not meet the reproduction requirement meaning they are not life under your standard. 

Remember this is about sterilized humans not humans that are not sterilized. 

This argument would only work if I said all humans are not life but I am not. 

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I am not speaking about whether or not they are representatives
I am.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@drafterman
I see no benefit to me simply copying and pasting information from one place to another. The arguments are there if you are truly interested in having a conversation about it.

I am not asking you to have a conversation with a website, I'm asking you to have a conversation with me about information that happens to be contained on a website.
And I'm requesting that you pick any and all information you believe is relevant in addressing the question I asked; it's a simple task. Once again, let me remind you: you are the one who responded to my question. Now instead of substantiating your response upon request, you're stalling by making reference to points about phenomena I presume you don't fully understand. It isn't enough to just regurgitate something you've read. Demonstrate the reasoning.

Do you have any questions or objections you would like to raise to me about that information?
Yes. How is that information relevant in addressing the question I asked?

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
A. I think therefore I am, as far as I can be certain, which is all there is. So I evolved. As far as I am aware I am not a carbon copy of everything that         predates me.
Please elaborate on the part which I've emboldened. How did you come to the conclusion that because of cogito ergo sum that you've "evolved"?  How are you able to conclude as far as you are aware that you're not a "carbon-copy"?

B. I communicate with you electronically. 

A. and B. are both relative to the processes of Material evolution, as is Darwinian Theory.
How?

As far as I can be aware A. and B. are real.
And how would you describe "real"?

Athias
Athias
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
He seems okay with you going more in-depth on one thing at a time he just doesn't want to choose which one. Just start at the top of your list and work your way down, the two of you are both being overly pedantic.
I mentioned quite a few times that I take no issue with our discussing every point he listed. After all, he is the one who listed them. I'm not "pedantic" or "obstinate." I'm challenging him to follow up on his reference. He listed every point. Then let's discuss. I don't dwell on irrelevancies and I don't do my opponent's work for them.

He's essentially stonewalling my challenge by questioning "genuine interest" and seeking a referendum placed on me to question his references rather than his explaining the relevance of each of his points in the first place.
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
Dude, his question is tantamount to "prove science."
No. My question is exactly as it was posed: "how does reality, as far as you can tell, substantiate Evolution?" You listed several points, so let's discuss them and their pertinence to the question I clearly asked. I can only presume that you offered them up as a response because you thought they would address my question. Now, I'm requesting that you elaborate on each point and substantiate how they address my question. If you cannot/will not do this, then move along, and have a nice day. I'm not interesting in taking the mantle of scrutinizing unsubstantiated points. You are your argument's author; so substantiate your points. It's that simple.

Find, let's start again:

At a general level, the following observations substantiate evolution:

• The commonality of genetic code among all living organisms, as there are any number of genetic combinations that produce identical effects, yet all organisms share based building blocks and codings for identical proteins. The only known mechanism for this is inheritance across generations.
  • The natural hierarchical grouping of species which implies a branching evolutionary process;
  • Agreement among independently derived phylogenetic trees, which supports the objective validity of phylogenetic organization of living organisms (see above);
  • Agreement of phylogenetic tree with fossil records; Again, independent support of phylogenetic organization;
  • Existence of vestigial structures, implying that organisms inherit structures from previous generations which must then be reused for other purposes;
  • Existence of atavism, implying that organisms inherit structures which lose their purpose altogether;
  • The agreement of phylogeny with ontogeny; the developing of organisms in utero parallels evolutionary developments among related species;
  • The agreement of phylogeny with geographical distribution of animals; more independent support of phylogenetic organization.
  • The existence of similar structures among animals used for different purposes; see: vestigial structures;
  • The existence of structures that are suboptimal for their function, implying that organisms can only use the structures they are provided with via inheritance.
  • The existence and replication of transposons; transposons being alien genetic material whose primary replication mechanisms is via genetic inheritance.
  • The direct observation of individual elements of evolution, such as morphological changes, functional changes, different stages of speciation, and actual instances of speciation.
Redundant. Substantiate the relevance or move along.
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
Evolution is the process, which is ongoing. It has no end unless all life ceases to exist.
I suspected as much. Evolution is not a process. Evolution is the attempted explanation; hence it is referred to as the "theory of evolution," theories being that which explain phenomena (e.g. processes.) Evolution attempts to delineate the mechanism which regulates the change of a species over time. It is NOT the change itself; that simply is referred to as "change" (or more loosely "mutation" in the context of progenation, "mutation" and "progenation" being the actual processes.)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
Redundant. Substantiate the relevance or move along.
I did. Each point has two parts: reality and how that reality substantiates evolution, which is what you were asking. For example:

The commonality of genetic code among all living organisms, as there are any number of genetic combinations that produce identical effects, yet all organisms share based building blocks and codings for identical proteins.
The above is a reality.

The only known mechanism for this is inheritance across generations.
And that is why that reality substantiates evolution.

I suspected as much. Evolution is not a process. Evolution is the attempted explanation;
Those things are not mutually exclusive. A process can be an explanation.

hence it is referred to as the "theory of evolution," theories being that which explain phenomena (e.g. processes.)
This is simplification to the point of error.

Evolution attempts to delineate the mechanism which regulates the change of a species over time. It is NOT the change itself; that simply is referred to as "change" (or more loosely "mutation" in the context of progenation, "mutation" and "progenation" being the actual processes.)
This is not correct. Evolution is the process which encapsulates the change of living organisms over time. Mutation and replication is the primary underlying mechanism of that process. You essentially have it backwards.
Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman
I did. Each point has two parts: reality and how that reality substantiates evolution, which is what you were asking. For example: The commonality of genetic code among all living organisms, as there are any number of genetic combinations that produce identical effects, yet all organisms share based building blocks and codings for identical proteins.
No you did not. You don't get to call it "reality" without substantiation. For example, your first point speaks to Mendel's Law of Inheritance, not "Evolution" per se. Evolution's link to inheritance is through modern synthesis, which shifted the consensus from orthogenesis to natural selection. But that's not "Evolution." It's merely the premise that changed the interpretation. Try again.

The above is a reality.
You've yet to substantiate any reality.

And that is why that reality substantiates evolution.
That has yet to be determined.

Yes they are. The process is the actual mechanism. And the explanation is the communication. What Evolution does is hypothesize that known mechanisms inform a regulatory "supra" mechanism of change over time. It's not the actual mechanism; it's the hypothesis.

Occam's razor. It's simple as it needs to be to inform truth. Theories (attempt to) explain phenomena. That is how it is defined. You perceive error, then substantiate your counterclaim.

This is not correct. Evolution is the process which encapsulates the change of living organisms over time. Mutation and replication is the primary underlying mechanism of that process.
The process of change is called change. That is not Evolution. Evolution is an (attempted) explanation as to the reason that change occurs. If it were merely a statement or phenomena of change, then Mendel's Laws, and Darwin's theory of natural selection would've suffice in appeasing once again, the "consensus" that supports Evolutionary Theory.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
I evolved because, in short I am a product of genetic variation, rather than a carbon copy from a masterplan.

One assumes that at a moment of creation, Charles Darwin and computer technology did not instantly spring into existence.

Real is what we think we know. Both instinctive data and sensory acquired and stored data. 

As far as I am aware, we can only deduce things from our own, individual human standpoint. Therefore this would probably be the limit of a human beings reality.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Athias
He's essentially stonewalling my challenge by questioning "genuine interest" and seeking a referendum placed on me to question his references rather than his explaining the relevance of each of his points in the first place.
<br>

His exact words (copy-pasted) were "Which would you like to discuss more in-depth?"

You were screwing around by not picking a topic to discuss in-depth and he was screwing around by insisting that you pick a topic rather than picking one himself and starting a discussion about it. My charge of obstinacy is objectively justified by a simple read-through of the conversation.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Athias
I did. Each point has two parts: reality and how that reality substantiates evolution, which is what you were asking. For example: The commonality of genetic code among all living organisms, as there are any number of genetic combinations that produce identical effects, yet all organisms share based building blocks and codings for identical proteins.
No you did not. You don't get to call it "reality" without substantiation. For example, your first point speaks to Mendel's Law of Inheritance, not "Evolution" per se. Evolution's link to inheritance is through modern synthesis, which shifted the consensus from orthogenesis to natural selection. But that's not "Evolution." It's merely the premise that changed the interpretation. Try again.

The above is a reality.
You've yet to substantiate any reality.

All of those are real observations. Which of those do you dispute are real?

Yes they are. The process is the actual mechanism. And the explanation is the communication. What Evolution does is hypothesize that known mechanisms inform a regulatory "supra" mechanism of change over time. It's not the actual mechanism; it's the hypothesis.
No, they aren't mutually exclusive. Evolution is the process which explains what we see today.

Occam's razor. It's simple as it needs to be to inform truth. Theories (attempt to) explain phenomena. That is how it is defined. You perceive error, then substantiate your counterclaim.
This is not what Occam's razor is or how it is to be applied. Your simplification is erroneous.

This is not correct. Evolution is the process which encapsulates the change of living organisms over time. Mutation and replication is the primary underlying mechanism of that process.
The process of change is called change. That is not Evolution. Evolution is an (attempted) explanation as to the reason that change occurs. If it were merely a statement or phenomena of change, then Mendel's Laws, and Darwin's theory of natural selection would've suffice in appeasing once again, the "consensus" that supports Evolutionary Theory.
"Change" can mean a lot of things. Evolution is a specific kind of change. Specifically, it is the change of living organisms over time through descent.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@drafterman
I am.
Then you are literally avoiding a logically coherent reply from me. 

Are sterilized people life under your standard?

They don't meet the reproduction requirement and you said if a thing doesn't meet a single standard they are not life. Here are the quotes:

Reproduction: the ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism or sexually from two parent organisms.

All of them

Just to make sure you understand how you are wrong I'll break it down.

A is A if they meet B.
If X don't meet this it isn't A.
X doesn't meet B therefore they are not A.

Life is life if they meet the life standard you brought up.
If sterilized people don't meet the standard it isn't a life.
Sterilized people don't meet the standard you brought up therefore they are not life. 

This is literally sound and you can't admit to it. 
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Dynasty
Evolution is a fact.

It is  theory. That is, right up until we come to humans. Something happens at this juncture that is not explainable by evolution alone..Even Darwin and  Wallace had problems when it came to humans.

My own opinion tells me that we humans don't belong on this planet. That is not to say we have no right to be here.  I think that we are the most ill equipped species to ever exist here in our natural state. Every other animal can cope without artificial heat for one thing. Evolution cannot explain for instance, why was is that humans would shed all our heat retaining  bodily hair to then have to go kill another hairy creature to keep warm in our natural  existence. Why ever did we need  the external heat source of fire in the first place? This list is long. We truly are a species apart from all of the rest of the animal kingdom.
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
I evolved because, in short I am a product of genetic variation, rather than a carbon copy from a masterplan.
How do you know this?

One assumes that at a moment of creation, Charles Darwin and computer technology did not instantly spring into existence.
Describing of course that which you've experienced over time as "progression." And that depends on:

Real is what we think we know. Both instinctive data and sensory acquired and stored data. 

As far as I am aware, we can only deduce things from our own, individual human standpoint. Therefore this would probably be the limit of a human beings reality.

Reality is qualified by humanity?

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Are sterilized people life under your standard?
Yes

They don't meet the reproduction requirement and you said if a thing doesn't meet a single standard they are not life. Here are the quotes:
I also said that they are an exception.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
His exact words (copy-pasted) were "Which would you like to discuss more in-depth?"
I know his exact words.

You were screwing around by not picking a topic to discuss in-depth
I am not "screwing around," nor have I ever screwed around in this discussion. You haven't debated me before, so you wouldn't know that I'm being completely sincere and earnest when I stated that I intended to discuss everything. But since you're not necessarily a participant beyond the extent of assuming one's decorum, whether this registers with you or not is of no consequence. 

My charge of obstinacy is objectively justified by a simple read-through of the conversation.
That's not the meaning of objective. You assume yourself to have provided an "impartial opinion" but you are still registering an opinion, which is clearly subjective.

Athias
Athias
-->
@drafterman

All of those are real observations. Which of those do you dispute are real?
I'm not the one to dispute which of your points is real; you are the one to argue the reason each of your points inform a reality that substantiates Evolution because that is what my question asked. Saying that it's real does not suffice.

No, they aren't mutually exclusive. Evolution is the process which explains what we see today.
No. Processes are processes. Processes are explained. They can be incorporated into explanations, but they are not the explanations. And your statement makes no sense: how can Evolution be the "process" that explains itself?

This is not what Occam's razor is or how it is to be applied. Your simplification is erroneous.
My use is obviously rhetorical given my following statement, and if you're going to claim error, fine. Substantiate your counterclaim.

"Change" can mean a lot of things.
Exactly. That's the reason Evolution is not merely a statement of change over time, as many mistake it to be. It's a hypothesis delineating a--and this is important--regulatory mechanism which governs this change over time. Evolution is not the mechanism. It is the "why?" to the mechanism.