Test Your Morality

Author: ethang5

Total: 113
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ethang5
True. And I am asking, first, should it be?
Yes.

And second, if it is based on personal tastes, how can anyone's personal tastes be an "ought" for another person?
Because the framework incorporates personal tastes and presumes the best possible environment in which they can manifest. But I'll further explain below.

Then the system of everyone having his own moral code has not worked very well has it? This is why we have jails, police, and courts.
You misunderstand. I am not at al suggesting that each person has his or her own moral code. That is, a moral framework applied to just oneself. Once again, that would be irrelevant--futile even--because the application of morality to oneself would render the same consequence every time. In a moral framework that recognizes my sovereignty for example, all actions I conduct toward myself and my property are by nature, "right." I cannot dispute with myself. (This does not mean that one is incapable of regret.)

A consistent moral framework incorporates the capacity of each individual to optimally (and there's a reason I continue to use this term) manifest their personal tastes. And the only moral framework I believe does this is Individualism, which is based on the posited axiom of individual sovereignty. That is, I have discretion to pursue my values especially as it concerns myself and my property so long as it does not infringe on your capacity to pursue your values as it concerns yourself and your property, and vice versa. And I use the term optimally because it implicitly suggests a standard where conflicts and disputes are diminished as much as possible.

What if you want to kill my sister? Well then, you'd be infringing on her capacity to pursue her own values as it concerns herself. Of course, you can kill her. But that would create conflict. Morality is a prescription toward certain ends. And good and bad can only be conducive or inhibiting respectively towards those ends.

My point is that when morality is used only as a framework for social interaction, and is based on personal taste, moral chaos is the only possible result. So societies produced a "morality" and officers to force us into a single moral code called the law.
Morality can only be used as a framework for social interaction for the reasons I mentioned above. And I understand your argument: if everyone has their own prescriptions for social interaction, then wouldn't that just create conflict? Yes. It would then behoove everyone to resolve these conflicts through discussion and argument.

But everyone has a different idea of what a morally consistent framework is. This is saying how things ought to be. But things are never that way, and have never been that way. Your comment amounts to the impotent "We should all get along".
Everyone has the capacity to provide their own prescriptions; that doesn't mean that it's consistent. And what is morality in its simplest form if not a mission statement that "we should all get along"? And if that's not the end you're seeking with morality, then what are you seeking?

Thank you! And what we ALL ought to do cannot be set by the personal tastes of a few. "Ought" implies a moral imperative for all.

I'm asking, "What makes a morality an ought?"

If you believe like Zed, that morality is only subjective, then no morality is an "ought" for everyone. Only people who accept a certain moral code are bound to that morality.

If you believe, like I do, that there is a moral code that IS an ought for everyone, then that moral code is the most coherent standard on which to base a framework for social interaction.
Once again, you misunderstand. I'm not talking about the personal tastes of a few; I'm talking about a moral framework that incorporates the personal tastes of all individuals and provides a prescription best suited for each individual to manifest said tastes. And by "best-suited," I mean with as little conflict and dispute as possible.

And the "ought" is inherent to the ends. That is, for example, should one desire to establish a society in which one's individual sovereignty is respected, then one and all participants ought to follow individualist morality. Now I firmly believe that all possessors of self possess self-interest; therefore, individualist morality would be a framework consistent with everyone's self-interests. Hence, everyone ought to abide by individualist morality.

Not necessarily. This is true only if we first accept the materialist's view of reality.

And still, the materialist must tell us why we should follow his moral code, and why we are immoral if we don't.
I don't see how materialism ties in with the fundamentally normative nature of morality; can you explain further?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
A consistent moral framework incorporates the capacity of each individual to optimally (and there's a reason I continue to use this term) manifest their personal tastes. And the only moral framework I believe does this is Individualism, which is based on the posited axiom of individual sovereignty. That is, I have discretion to pursue my values especially as it concerns myself and my property so long as it does not infringe on your capacity to pursue your values as it concerns yourself and your property, and vice versa. And I use the term optimally because it implicitly suggests a standard where conflicts and disputes are diminished as much as possible.
Well stated.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ethang5
What any sane human being would determine was personally "bad", as in bad for him.

In other words something that everyone agrees with their subjective standards is bad?

Okay. By that definition the answer to question one is 'yes'.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Athias
And I am asking, first, should it be? 

Yes.
Why? I agree that it is, but why should it be?

I'm talking about a moral framework that incorporates the personal tastes of all individuals...
No moral framework can 
incorporate the personal tastes of all individuals...

...and provides a prescription best suited for each individual to manifest said tastes. And by "best-suited," I mean with as little conflict and dispute as possible. 
But you cannot know which prescription with be "best-suited," to producing as little conflict and dispute as possible until after 
conflicts and disputes arise! Morality should not be guesses. Morality should be a guide of how to behave.

Hence, everyone ought to abide by individualist morality.
Why is it that in reality everyone doesn't? Do you know?

I don't see how materialism ties in with the fundamentally normative nature of morality; can you explain further? 
I'm talking about about moral authority in the context of ethics. A logical moral framework does not make it authoritative.

And the "ought" is inherent to the ends.
But we often do not know what the end will be. In those cases our morality will be guesses which could end up being grossly immoral in the end.

Here is an example. Say at a football game I, a simple fan, sneak in a whistle and blow it just before the ref does, making the players think the ref has blown his whistle.

Though I did exactly what the ref was about to do, and did it at the time the ref would have done it, I did not have the authority to whistle the game into a timeout.

What is the difference between my blowing a whistle and the ref blowing his whistle? Authority. A player would be correct to ignore my whistle and continue playing.

Now, if we make moral laws those whistles, and we the players, what makes one moral law authoritative and another not?

You keep telling me how a whistle blower should behave fairly and consistently in order to produce as little conflict and dispute as possible in the game, and I'm asking what is it that makes the whistleblower authoritative in the first place?

The person who blows his whistle in such a way that the game has as little conflict as possible is not then the "best" whistle blower. How good a whistle blower he is matters not to whether he has authority.
ethang5
ethang5
Can your moral code give us an moral action that is empirically "bad"?

What do you mean by empirically bad? 

What any sane human being would determine was personally "bad", as in bad for him.

In other words something that everyone  agrees with their subjective standards is bad?

Yes. Can you?

Okay. By that definition the answer to question one is 'yes'.
Ok. So, do you have a personal objection in giving us an example a moral action that is empirically "bad" but prescribed by your moral code?
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ethang5
Ok. So, do you have a personal objection in giving us an example a moral action that is empirically "bad" but prescribed by your moral code?

It is possible that you meant to say prohibited rather than prescribed but for the purpose of this post I will assume no such typo occurred so as to limit confusion. If this assumption is incorrect simply restate your question.

Anyway this new question is the opposite of what you asked before. Since the answer to your other question was 'yes' and the opposite of that is 'no' I must remain consistent here by saying that my moral code has no such prescription.

It would be internally inconsistent to say that it did anyway. Your definition of empirically bad is "something everyone agrees is subjectively bad", therefore since I am a subset of 'everyone' then if I disagreed with someone on some moral point (such as if they thought something was bad but my moral code prescribed that thing like in your new question) then there is no empirical agreement on said point, thus rendering the question unintelligible due to its wording requiring empirical agreement.
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
I like to discribe these moral things you guys are talking about like this. 
Ok  so i am 38 years old 3 months and 8 days old.
My morals are.  I mean. These things called morals come from Me living for 38 years 3 months and 8 days " WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RULES "  
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
I hope what you meant to say, was that you suspect that I wouldn't kill or rape.

Furthermore I would suggest that my propensity for not killing and raping is probably the same as yours is.

And in that particular respect, I think that all we are actually doing is using different words and interpretations of acquired data to say the same thing.

Developed social reasoning and consequent social conditioning, generally dictate that most rational social participants are able to confirm with the developed social rationale.

Though, If I understand you correctly, what you seem to be purporting is the idea that morality is something that is wholly separate and extra-humanly existent, therefore something that perhaps we do or do not download irrespective of social conditioning or inherency.

Maybe, but nonetheless a notion that doesn't fit with my current way of thinking/organising data.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Thanks DD

The question didn't change. It was...

Can your moral code give us a moral action that is empirically "bad"?

The point was to highlight the curious agreement between peoples personal tastes and their moral codes.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
I hope what you meant to say, was that you suspect that I wouldn't kill or rape.
Yes I did. Sorry. It was a typo.

Furthermore I would suggest that my propensity for not killing and raping is probably the same as yours is.
I was not referring to our propensity, but our reasons for NOT killing and raping.

And in that particular respect, I think that all we are actually doing is using different words and interpretations of acquired data to say the same thing.
We aren't. But it's really difficult to get people to see past their core beliefs.

Developed social reasoning and consequent social conditioning, generally dictate that most rational social participants are able to confirm with the developed social rationale.
My focus is the authority of that social rationale, not how or why or whether rational social participants can or will conform.

Though, If I understand you correctly, what you seem to be purporting is the idea that morality is something that is wholly separate and extra-humanly existent, therefore something that perhaps we do or do not download irrespective of social conditioning or inherency.

Yes. It needs tweaking to be 100% correct to my argument, but we can do that later. For now, it's close enough.

Maybe, but nonetheless a notion that doesn't fit with my current way of thinking/organising data.
My argument is unconcerned with how you organize data. And as I said earlier, you do not believe morality exists so we really have nothing to discuss.

You live as though morality does exist, so to challenge your worldview would be unproductive.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TwoMan
.....The trickier question of yours is that of value. I can imagine an immoral act that is of negative value to one person and positive value to another (theft, for example). An individual's perspective relative to an action would decide its value.....
Or as Bucky Fuller stated in his 1979 book Critical Path, invention of the winchester was bad for indians but good for cavalary{ white people }.

If humanity is wiped off Earth it may mean less of some kinds of toxins being brought forth and that is good for all biologics that remain, however, it is of course bad for all humans that may suffer on their of extinction.

This is like that person and others questioning what is fair and just and why is this or that fair or just.

As if they have no access to common sense and abilities to follow rather simple rational, logical common sense pathways of thoughts.

It is a mind game to screw with others heads.   As if to say, others have not validity for claiming morality, or fairness or justice etc.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
...." WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RULES " .....
Another irrational, illogical and lack of common sense mind game that would like believes there are no human rules, nor, and eternally existent finite set of cosmic physical laws/principles.

These are signs of the infantile mind whose ego based mental blockages to truth is the only significant value in their life.

Kinda of like I am somebody and I can believe and state any damm thing I want to and will attempt to violate cosmic laws/principles if I have a mind to and none can stop me.  

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@ebuc
Thats why i don't eat sun dried tomatoes.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
As a member of Five religious groups spanning across the three major holy books i Deb have reached a level of moralness. 
A level of moral. 
What i am trying to say is , you mere one religions moralers and no where near my level of morelness. ness.

I AM REALLY HEAPS MORE MORAL then you guys are, so ummmmmm. 
Yeah. 

ANY QUESTIONS? 

Ok his a mind game for you. .
Before going to bed tonight, denounce your religion. 
Waking up with not a single moral is a rush. 
You then have to start learning things again like Not Eating Kids and stuff. 

Morals.
Schmorals.
Borals. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Ok his a mind game for you. .
Before going to bed tonight, denounce your religion. 
Waking up with not a single moral is a rush. 
You then have to start learning things again like Not Eating Kids and stuff. 
Well stated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
...empirically "bad"?
This is a category error.

EMPIRICAL is necessarily Quantifiable (scientifically verifiable).

BAD is necessarily Qualitative (experiential, AXIOLOGICAL).
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Thats why i don't eat sun dried tomatoes.
Most of your post ex #44, your have overly sun-dried infantile brain.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@ebuc
I can't spell is all. 
Like the word pearent parent. I got it on the second go then. 
Hey Sorry about this Cube. 
I'm thinking about going all out and spending $3.99 to get me one of them state of the art spell check grammar checker APP.   
Again cube. I'm sorry. 

Good day.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
...Good day......
You and your type like to play infantile mind games, despite  3Ru7als words of 'well stated' to part of your comments.

It may be a good day for you an a bad day for the rest of humanity and all life on Earth, however, the infantile mind game plays only one game and that is the narcissistic  priority of  a good day for self is the only priority.

You living the cult-life of Trumpity-Dumpity on everybody except self.

It is sort of reminiscent of Generation X of the 90's.  Clueless and proud of it?

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@ebuc
I also collect stamp.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ebuc
Most of your post ex #44, your have overly sun-dried infantile brain.
Please try to avoid ad hominem attacks.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL

See Debs post #43 and 44 { you liked } to better grasp why Debs brain is sun-dried even tho she states she avoids sun-dried tomatoes.

Infantile bain makes infantile remarks. I make clear most of her remarks are infantile and may be from over exposure to sun or abusive environmental conditions Deb has been over the years.

Also, Ive been seeing Debs infantile remarks since days of old Debate.org.  Somethings never change.  Debs posts are one of those never changing infantilism.  For the most part.

Infantile mind games.  I too, sometimes chew on low value mind-games for the brain. I also make the effort to make the distinction between the too so as to not whitewash others have valid comments of significant value, irrespective your judgement for a few sentences, that you believe are "well stated".

Debs are far and few between
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I also collect stamp.
And you offer many 'rubber stamps' aka infantile comments.

3Ru7al gives you his "stamp" of approval for 2 or more of you comments. Wow, your own a roll with 3R7.

And the 'stamp' goes on, and the stamp goes on, stamping beating rythm to the brain,
La de da de da........sung to Sonnie and Cher song....."and the beat goes on".

They get E for pop musical effort.

You get a failing grade for " stamp" collecting on this thread of 'testing morality'.

Is it moral to collect stamps?  Isnt more moral to recycle stamps, in a world that is millions of times and ways falling short on recycling?

Ive gone on 3 cruises and I think that is immoral to the ecology of the oceans of Earth yet, here I want to go on another one. 

OMG, have you seen the new commercial for X Cruises, that uses the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit" song. Sail away into wonderland.

Which is more immoral, not recycling your stamps or my going on  4th cruise?   Duhh, this is a no brainer.  I am being much more ecologically immoral.

It is one thing to need and drive a auto to get to work, but a cruise?  Somebody please talk some moral sensibilities  too me on this issue.  Another cruise is perhaps the greatest test of my personal immorality. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Hey Not being able to read may erase some moral responsibility. ( release )

Like that thought experiment that has you in a burning room with like a 1000 embryos in one corner and a like a10 year old kid in the other.  Something like this.
If you all of a sudden find youself in this situation,  you have a BIG BIG moral decision to make. 

If it is me in this situation , i dont need to make a decisions at alll. I would grab the kid. 
I know ( Embryos ) makes things  like fotball jerseys and shlt.  
Its a no brainer.

Hang on Actually i don't think it is immoral to not grab one or the other due to like fear facror and crao. 
This is a bad example but, 

Something that can be clearly moral or non moral to a English man  may not be " judged " as  moral or immoral to a Chinese man. 
Ha
I dont know.

Ok I'll stop now. 

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Ok I'll stop now.
Thank God, cause, you were going nowhere,

as you have one paddle gflapping in, and out of the water, with no forward or reverse motion, and,

your other paddle reversed with the handle  just going around and around in the air,

creating a mental air bubble of bubbles above your  sun-dried brain at the center of the boat of that post.

Yes, It would be moral of me to be in your row-boat-going-nowhere, than on and ecologically detrimental cruise.

Just not sure I can handle the infantile mind games for much longer ride.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
This is a category error.

EMPIRICAL is necessarily Quantifiable (scientifically verifiable).

BAD is necessarily Qualitative (experiential, AXIOLOGICAL).
Sorry  Brute. Here was the question,

Can your moral code give us a moral action that is empirically "bad"?

As you can see, the word "empirically" refers to the "action", which someone then determines subjectively is bad.

Google mining will never substitute for a real education. But well stated.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ethang5
Why? I agree that it is, but why should it be?
It isn't so much that it "should be" as much as it is inescapable from personal values. Morals are concepts which establish a condition in which man ought to interact with man. And when one discusses "ought to" it is fundamentally a personal judgement--hence any argument that seeks to establish a standard of general behavior is normative.

No moral framework can 
incorporate the personal tastes of all individuals...
I just mentioned one that does: Individualism. It essentially delineates that one is justified in pursuing one's own self-interests. And to sustain this as a consistent moral framework, one needs only respect the capacity and justification of another to do the same.

But you cannot know which prescription with be "best-suited," to producing as little conflict and dispute as possible until after 
conflicts and disputes arise! Morality should not be guesses. Morality should be a guide of how to behave.
What is a "guide of how to behave" if not a prescription best suited to reducing conflict as much as possible? It would still demand conformity, right? I'm not going to argue that the framework can prevent all conflict; only that the framework facilitates the diminishing and resolution of conflict by respecting their autonomy as individuals, and leaving them discretion to pursue their self-interests. If any conflict arises, then that too, can be handled within the framework.

Why is it that in reality everyone doesn't? Do you know?
Culture and customs; mores and folkways; the prominence of collectivism; prejudice; complacency, etc.

I'm talking about about moral authority in the context of ethics. A logical moral framework does not make it authoritative.
That depends on the people. I do not deny that a moral society is contingent on a moral people. And as with anything, "authority" is where people place their trust and conviction. Most place it on survival especially when confronted with aggressive institutions--i.e. governments.

But we often do not know what the end will be.
Yes we do. The end is that which we seek. It's not the manifestation of a singular personal taste, but the discretion to actualize your personal tastes in an environment conducive to your so doing.

In those cases our morality will be guesses which could end up being grossly immoral in the end.

Here is an example. Say at a football game I, a simple fan, sneak in a whistle and blow it just before the ref does, making the players think the ref has blown his whistle.

Though I did exactly what the ref was about to do, and did it at the time the ref would have done it, I did not have the authority to whistle the game into a timeout.

What is the difference between my blowing a whistle and the ref blowing his whistle? Authority. A player would be correct to ignore my whistle and continue playing.

Now, if we make moral laws those whistles, and we the players, what makes one moral law authoritative and another not?

You keep telling me how a whistle blower should behave fairly and consistently in order to produce as little conflict and dispute as possible in the game, and I'm asking what is it that makes the whistleblower authoritative in the first place?

The person who blows his whistle in such a way that the game has as little conflict as possible is not then the "best" whistle blower. How good a whistle blower he is matters not to whether he has authority.
I'll counter this example with one of my own. And I'll extend the sports theme. One of the things I often do is play pick-up basketball games. Now these pick-up games neither have a single authority nor proxies to extend that authority (e.g. NBA, JBA, G-League, etc.) Everyone who desires to participate either conceives a set of rules to mutual agreement, or adopt the ones which naturally come with the game. Each participant is free to accept or decline the rules suggested. Not only that, but also each participant is free to seek other arrangements which reflect their own values for rules setting without being deprived of that with which they came in. These games are usually self-regulated and in the event of disputes, codes of resolution are exercised (e.g. "miss on me.") Either that or resolution is brought about through concession. This works because each participant has an identical goal(s) in mind: entertainment (or camaraderie.) And there's a plethora of considerations taken, consciously or subconsciously, before and during engagement. Cheating is heavily discouraged because one risks getting alienated and/or ostracized in future games.

The authority in this scenario is oneself and the capacity to consider the prospects of one's actions (i.e. one's being a moral agent.)

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
As you can see, the word "empirically" refers to the "action", which someone then determines subjectively is bad.
NO ACTION CAN BE EMPIRICALLY BAD.

THIS IS A CATEGORY ERROR.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ebuc
ethang5
ethang5
-->