What is your favorite argument for the existence of God?

Author: OntologicalSpider

Total: 436
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
In order to distinguish REAL-TRUE-FACT from GNOSIS/OPINION.
In order to QUANTIFY properties that can be engineered into useful systems.
How is "useful" devoid of opinion?
This is territory called "intersubjectivity".

You might not need a hammer personally.

You might never use a hammer (yourself) even once in your life.

But do you believe that a hammer can be used (and is therefore "useful")?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
What "point" are you trying to highlight?  Sure, GLOMPRANO-WAVES "might" "exist" "undiscovered".  How is this claim even remotely useful?
All the more reason the statements mentioned by secularmerlin contradict. If something does not necessarily require tests to exist, but also require tests to "claim" existence, then what is the function of the first statement?
GLOMPRANO-WAVES are indistinguishable from OPINION (hypothesis).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
...how do tests preclude you from being duped by "con-artists"?
The best CON-ARTIST never lies.

However, MOST CON-ARTISTS make their livelihood by conflating FACT with OPINION.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
(P1) Athias = happy.
(P2) Athias's cousin = happy.
(C1) Athias is functionally indistinguishable from Athias's cousin.
HAPPY = ATHIAS
ATHIAS = HAPPY
HAPPY = ATHIAS'S COUSIN
ATHIAS'S COUSIN = HAPPY
HAPPY = HAPPY
ATHIAS = ATHIAS'S COUSIN

You need more than just relating them under the context of falisfiability.
Please explain.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
What is "useful" if not qualia?
Usefulness can be QUANTIFIED.

What is reliability if not qualia?
Reliability can be QUANTIFIED.

Three-sigma limits is a statistical calculation where the data are within three standard deviations from a mean. In business applications, three-sigma refers to processes that operate efficiently and produce items of the highest quality.

Three-sigma limits are used to set the upper and lower control limits in statistical quality control charts. Control charts are used to establish limits for a manufacturing or business process that is in a state of statistical control. [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Uncertainty cannot be "reduced" because it necessitates certainty of the scope of that which you are uncertain.
Uncertainty is QUANTIFIABLE (relative to zero).

Can you predict the future state of this device? (Y/N)

How reliably can you predict the future state of this device (+/-3 sigma)?

Now if you're using uncertainty in a manner synonymous with "unsure" of "not confident," then what is "uncertainty" if not qualia?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
The Scientific Method is not a DOGMA, but is validated by demonstrable efficacy (bridges, computers, medicine).
The evaluation of which is informed by qualia.
Epistemology is what the boards of our house are made of. What is outside our house is noumenon.

Metaphysics is what we stuff into the cracks between the boards in order to keep warm.

Quanta (science) is a sub-category of qualia (metaphysics).

One of the fundamental problems I've identified is that most people tend to conflate the terms "real" and "important", when, in-fact, they are mutually exclusive.

Freedom and equality are inversely proportional.

It is important to maintain a constant awareness of and vigilant respect of our epistemological limits.

You call it a computer; you call it a bridge; you call it medicine; you assert that what it does is distinct from what it doesn't do based on definitions used to rationalize your perception of it.
You've managed to describe ONTOLOGY.

You can test for it, but it's contained within the scope of said perception.
Can you test for something beyond the scope of your perception?

Efficacious toward what? That you're capable of perception? 
Efficacy is a measure of reliable prediction.

Logic is a regulation of consistent perception.
Logic is omnipresent.  Our limited ability to anticipate logical conclusions is a human condition.

But ultimately what does consistency indicate? Value (qualia.)
Efficacy (QUANTA).
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
@Athias
I'm a sceptic, so not incorrigible.

I accept a GOD principle but not myths embellished with fantasy.

Show me real evidence of your particular god and I will be instantly converted.

15 days later

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
Well we are not going to accomplish anything so long as you feel no need to substantiate your claims and more especially if you don't even understand why you would be expected to. I wish you good luck finding an interlocutor more on your own level. 

Well we are not going to accomplish anything so long as you feel
My feelings are irrelevant.

no need to substantiate your claims
I substantiated my argument.

and more especially if you don't even understand why you would be expected to.
I understand the reason I'm expected to substantiate my argument quite well. That has little to do with my participation in this argument. I reject that a spiritual substance is subject to a materialist standard. So let's take a look at your contention:

Just to make sure we are staying on topic here is your original argument
1. All things that are perceived must exist (given that the nonexistent can't be perceived.)
I have explained why I do not accept that perceived = existent 

2. God is perceived (believed in by his adherents.)
Your definition of percieved is to be aware, understand, identify and/or observe. Unless you can demonstrate that any one has ever become aware of understood identified or observed any actual (non imaginary) god(s) I do not accept that this is true though I am happy to accept that they have percieved stories told by other humans about some god(s) and or the concept of some god(s)

3. Therefore God exists.
This conclusion does not follow from your dubious premises. I can percieve fiction but if all you mean is that god(s) exist at least as fiction then as I predicted your argument isn't saying very much. 
It's not that that my argument is "unsubstantiated"; you just "disagree." There's a difference.

I wish you good luck finding an interlocutor more on your own level. 
"There's no one like me; only me."

secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
It took you 15 days to not explain your position any better? 
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Because continuing debate shows us that one persons logic is another persons illogic.
Are you inferring that logic is the same as opinion as 3RU7AL suggested? And if so, how are they the same?

I'm a sceptic, so not incorrigible.
I was joking.

I accept a GOD principle but not myths embellished with fantasy.

Show me real evidence of your particular god and I will be instantly converted.
The fact that you sought to qualify evidence with the description "real" means that whatever is offered to you will be subject to the concept of "real" you accept. In other words, God is not "real" because you, zedvictor, don't accept him as "real." If we were to sustain this rationale, then the inverse must necessarily apply: i.e. God is "real" because you, zedvictor, accept him as "real." Hence, you are making my point. What is evidence? Evidence is the availability of "facts" or argument substantiating the truth of a statement. Your limiting the scope of evidence not only informs my aforementioned point about standards you accept, but also, it's all on you. You don't have to accept God. But by registering the notion that God's existence is contingent on your acceptance is tacit concession to my argument. Either way, my argument remains sound.

Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
It took you 15 days to not explain your position any better? 
It took me a few minutes to explain my position as I always have. I haven't logged in for 15 days (there's a difference,) the reasons for which are none of your concern.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
This is a good example.

We agree a claim is not necessarily a REAL-TRUE-FACT.

So, perhaps I must specify, a claim of REAL-TRUE-FACT demands empirical demonstration and or logical necessity.

A claim of OPINION and or GNOSIS merely demands the credulity of the audience.
I don't necessarily disagree. I'd say that your suggestions are "true" by definition. But what is "true" by definition if not GNOSIS?

There are no "facts", only factual claims and non-factual claims.

A "fact" may be (abstractly) "independent" from any claim (statement of claim) (the map is not the territory), however, nobody can discuss (entertain) a "fact" without making a statement (claim) of implicit "fact", for example "god($) is real".
In other words, the statement doesn't necessarily equate to the observation of, or existence itself?

What is "useful" if not qualia?
Usefulness can be QUANTIFIED.

What is reliability if not qualia?
Reliability can be QUANTIFIED.

Three-sigma limits is a statistical calculation where the data are within three standard deviations from a mean. In business applications, three-sigma refers to processes that operate efficiently and produce items of the highest quality.

Three-sigma limits are used to set the upper and lower control limits in statistical quality control charts. Control charts are used to establish limits for a manufacturing or business process that is in a state of statistical control. [LINK]
And the credibility or even "accuracy" of this quantification is informed by what? How is that any different than judges assigning numbers in dance performances?

Uncertainty cannot be "reduced" because it necessitates certainty of the scope of that which you are uncertain.

Now if you're using uncertainty in a manner synonymous with "unsure" of "not confident," then what is "uncertainty" if not qualia?

I repeat the above question. And which future state are we talking about? A second? A minute? An hour, etc?

Epistemology is what the boards of our house are made of. What is outside our house is noumenon.

Metaphysics is what we stuff into the cracks between the boards in order to keep warm.

Quanta (science) is a sub-category of qualia (metaphysics).

One of the fundamental problems I've identified is that most people tend to conflate the terms "real" and "important", when, in-fact, they are mutually exclusive.

Freedom and equality are inversely proportional.

It is important to maintain a constant awareness of and vigilant respect of our epistemological limits.
But acknowledging our epistemological limits requires a "meta-knowledge" which undermines the nature of epistemology. How do we acknowledge that which we can't know? We can argue that this is the case by logical necessity, but subjecting the can't be known to logic makes it a known, or at the very least, something of which we are "aware."

You can test for it, but it's contained within the scope of said perception.
I suppose so.

Can you test for something beyond the scope of your perception?
Not according to the definitions of perception and test.

Efficacy is a measure of reliable prediction.
Or reproducible consistency?

Logic is omnipresent.  Our limited ability to anticipate logical conclusions is a human condition.
And this is where we fundamentally disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would reflect the school of thought that logic was "discovered" as opposed to "conceived." And if not, would you elaborate on the omnipresence of logic.

Efficacy (QUANTA).
Fair enough.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
You don't owe me any explanation for your time  frame but I am still somewhat underwhelmed by your argument. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
We will all tend to limit the scope of evidence, or perhaps more correctly, cherry pick suitable evidence and disregard evidence that doesn't suit our mindset.....As conditioned individuals, we have strongly established ideas that we protect, often zealously. 

I think that I have a pretty flexible mindset when it comes to creation hypotheses, in so much as I readily accept a GOD principle as logical.  The hyperbole of accompanying religious myth is somewhat harder to take seriously,  but I nonetheless acknowledge  that myth will incorporate fact based data, though with a tendency to be somewhat exaggerated and fantastically embellished. 

Your particular use of the word "God" is very pertinent for some reason....  It somehow sums things up in nutshell....The accompanying rhetoric, though undoubtedly erudite, is rendered somewhat superfluous.
Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
You don't owe me any explanation for your time  frame
I know. I told you as much. I brought it up because you clearly sought to qualify my response by my absence.

but I am still somewhat underwhelmed by your argument. 
How you feel is irrelevant; as is anyone's feelings. I'm not trying to impress you. I'm submitting logically consistent arguments.
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
We will all tend to limit the scope of evidence, or perhaps more correctly, cherry pick suitable evidence and disregard evidence that doesn't suit our mindset.....As conditioned individuals, we have strongly established ideas that we protect, often zealously. 

I think that I have a pretty flexible mindset when it comes to creation hypotheses, in so much as I readily accept a GOD principle as logical.  The hyperbole of accompanying religious myth is somewhat harder to take seriously,  but I nonetheless acknowledge  that myth will incorporate fact based data, though with a tendency to be somewhat exaggerated and fantastically embellished. 

Your particular use of the word "God" is very pertinent for some reason....  It somehow sums things up in nutshell....The accompanying rhetoric, though undoubtedly erudite, is rendered somewhat superfluous.
"We all do it" doesn't convey much of a contention. Because even it were true, it does not escape the criticism I offered. The notion that "we are conditioned individuals who have strongly established ideas which we protect" would also be characterized as cherry picked evidence suitable to one's mindset if we subscribe to your rationale.

My contention to atheist reasoning arises from the suggestion they subscribe to either "impartial" or "objective" set of rules and principles. They don't, a concession to which you've tacitly admitted.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
How you feel is irrelevant; as is anyone's feelings. I'm not trying to impress you. I'm submitting logically consistent arguments.
You have put forth the argument that santa claus exists. Logical consistency does not always lead to truth. It depends on how supportable the premises you are building on actually are.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Exactly.

We all cherry pick.

Therefore  the same contention can be equally applied to theists.

So stalemate as ever, though we are never keen to agree that this is the case.
Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
You have put forth the argument that santa claus exists.
No. I've put forth the argument that God exists.

Logical consistency does not always lead to truth.
Logical consistency reflects logical necessity, the affirmation of "truth" or "falsehood" notwithstanding.

It depends on how supportable the premises you are building on actually are.
Redundant. Despite your "challenge," you haven't demonstrated that my premises aren't supported. You just disagree with my application of the definitions. And your "agreement" is irrelevant.

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Exactly.

We all cherry pick.

Therefore  the same contention can be equally applied to theists.

So stalemate as ever, though we are never keen to agree that this is the case.
Where have I cherry picked?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
No. I've put forth the argument that God exists.
Your argument is the belief = perception = existence. Some (small) humans believe in santa claus ergo your argument is that santa claus exists.

If you see a problem with my argument please point put the specific logical flaw or offer a (specific defined well defined or logically necessary) counterfactual. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
Your argument is the belief = perception = existence. Some (small) humans believe in santa claus ergo your argument is that santa claus exists.

If you see a problem with my argument please point put the specific logical flaw or offer a (specific defined well defined or logically necessary) counterfactual. 
My argument is belief informs perception, and perception informs existence. The rationale of my argument would certainly support the proposition of Santa Klaus's existence, that however does not mean that I'm the one who proposed, claimed, or posited it. Ergo, your statement that Santa Klaus exists is my argument is not supported. (It wasn't mentioned until you brought it up.)

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
Either santa claus exists or your argument is flawed. Please try to keep up. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
Either santa claus exists or your argument is flawed. Please try to keep up. 

It is you who haven't kept up:

The rationale of my argument would certainly support the proposition of Santa Klaus's existence, that however does not mean that I'm the one who proposed, claimed, or posited it.
I'm not in the business of frequently repeating myself. If you have nothing more to add than redundancy and emotional expression, then enjoy the rest of your day, sir.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
And a good day to you also. It was certainly interesting talking to an adult who still believes in santa claus. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
And a good day to you also. It was certainly interesting talking to an adult who still believes in santa claus. 
I don't "believe in" Santa Klaus. But your attempt to qualify my "adulthood" by a clear non sequitur, in place of a valid challenge or contention, speaks more to your--I guess the word for it would be "maturity" than mine. Move along and have nice day, sir.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
Oh I think the real problem is that we are defining reality and existence differently but it is impossible to know without some clarification on your part. If you really don't care to do that then it is true that this conversation is not going to be fruitful. 

Also I do not understand the distinction you are making between believing in and believing to be real.
Athias
Athias
-->
@secularmerlin
Oh I think the real problem is that we are defining reality and existence differently but it is impossible to know without some clarification on your part. If you really don't care to do that then it is true that this conversation is not going to be fruitful. 
Now, you're lying. I have clarified.

Athias:

1. Exist: to have actual being whether material or spiritual.
secularmerlin:

What does it mean to exist spiritually? What even is spirit? Also the whole point is that we are examining your argument to see if I was correct or incorrect in my assessment of it so don't get to hung up on my assessment before we have thusly examined said argument. 

Athias:

There's no need to modify the term exist with the adverb, "spiritually," especially since the description I've provided already includes for it. And by applying simple logic, it's rather simple to discern the meaning you seek. If to exist is as I described, i.e. to have actual being whether material or spiritual, then "spiritually" would denote that which is wholly or partly not material.

secularmerlin:

How do we test for the existence of some "wholly or partly not material thing"? What does it mean to exist if you are not referring to material existence?
Athias:

Why does it need to be tested?
secularmerlin:

How else would we know it exists?

The "problem" arises from your attempt to gerrymander the description of existence to that which requires a test, not my "not caring" to provide clarity. No such description of existence has been listed.

Also I do not understand the distinction you are making between believing in and believing to be real.
Yes you do. We already went over it:

secularmerlin:

Do you also believe in big foot, the lochness  monster, alien abduction and fairy dust?
Athias:

Do I believe in them? No. Do I believe they exist? Yes.
secularmerlin:

How do you justify haorsplitting between these terms?
Athias:

One is synonymous with placing one's "faith." The other is accepting its truth.
secularmerlin:

Since it is this second I meant I will take this as a yes. At least you are consistent in accepting unsubstantiated claims. Fascinating. Do you equally accept unsubstantiated claims that have not been made like a god that has not been proposed but could be? Or those that are made ironically but also cannot be disproved like the flying spaghetti monster?

You see, secularmerlin, I have "kept up" with every point made at least as far as it concerns your challenge. No more redundancies; no more shifts of onuses; no more futile attempts to qualify my character;  no more feelings; do you have a valid counterargument? If not, have a nice day.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Athias
If you believe that santa claus is an actual being rather than an imaginary one or if you do not make a distinction between actual and imaginary then no I don't suppose I do.

I however make a distinction between actual and imagined.